Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

On Overwatch Season 3 Placement

A new video from Our Overwatch looks at the ranking and placement system for Season 3 in competitive Overwatch. The system started out a little wonky, and Blizzard has been tweaking it each season. Unfortunately, on some levels it seems to be getting steadily worse, and the video outlines a system where players are being ranked just as they were last season in spite of how well or poorly they do in placement matches. Blizzard has expressed a desire to make ranks more stable, but the current system makes one wonder why they are bothering with placement matches at all. They also discuss how this impacts the ability of friends to play together, as their group of six who did all their placement matches together ended up split across ranks, and can no longer queue together. As the description of the clip reads: "After season 2 placing and ranking was a broken system we had faith that season 3 would bring better things. However, the first day has showed that the system is very much the same and punishes solo Queue players & sick stacks alike."

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 3, 2016, 16:47 theglaze

SO I did my placement for season 3, and tried to look at some numbers:

I took note of the highest Skill Rank achieved by both my teammates and my opponents in Season 2, here's how the numbers crunched:

2771 = My Season 2 Rank
2871 = My Teams Average Season 2 Rank
2898 = My Opponents Average Season 2 Rank

Placement Results:
9 wins / 1 loss
1.00 Average Gold award
0.85 Average Silver award
0.71 Average Bronze award

2804 = My Season 3 Placement Rank

While playing almost entirely support during those matches (solo queue), the system gave me a rank LOWER than both the opponents I beat AND my own teammates! That doesn't add up...

The other bizarre thing is the consistency of the average skill rating for the group. With each successive win, one would assume that the system would challenge me against higher ranked players...

My Teams Season 2 Skill vs. Opponents (matches 4 through 10)
2884 vs. 2888
2857 vs. 2962
2755 vs. 3011
2916 vs. 2850
2858 vs. 2846
2903 vs. 2925
2923 vs. 2808

Despite winning, my opponents average skill marginally DROPPED towards the end of the placement process

In fact, the average team skill varied 1-2% during placement, and when considered it's out of 5000, it essentially remained the same.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 2, 2016, 17:34 Nimh

descender wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 14:58:
If you've already played 2 full seasons... should 10 placement matches really be making that much of a difference in your ranking at all? Taking the small placement sample over the larger sample of games you've already played seems like bad math to me. They already basically know what your skill rating should be from the hundreds of games you've played... Expecting that to change drastically between seasons seems to be fundamentally misunderstanding what a skill rating tells you. Your current season rank and your skill rating shouldn't be the same number, they should be separate calculations... but your skill rating from the end of one season to the beginning of the next isn't going to change drastically for any reason.

I guess that part of these season resets are just lost on me. You should obviously reset ladder and leaderboard rankings... but that doesn't mean you have to ignore skill ratings you've already collected over a longer period of time.

I think there is something that they're not openly sharing with players. The 'addictive' aspect, for lack of a better term, requires that you think you can be a better player and provides you glimpses of god-like performance on occasion. Placement matches are there to make you try, to pull you in, even though they fully know your play style and ability. I'm not saying this is 100% Blizzard's doing, player talent and character synergies play a huge role also, and they certainly know that also.

It's all just conjecture, but I usually have a feeling that I've just been played after exiting a Blizzard multiplayer title. Uneasy

Everyone has a heart, and itís calling for something. And weíre all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

4. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 2, 2016, 16:14 theglaze

I REALLY want a job where I can do this...analyzing data captured during a players gameplay to develop greater insight into that user, his or her ability to play the game, performance trends, etc...

Overwatch is an exceedingly complicated game with an overwhelming number of ways to analyze a player's performance and compare it to others. I am not surprised Blizzard has struck out on this with 3 failed attempts to implement a consistent and fair skill-based match making system.

IMO, it means they have a misunderstanding of how to tackle it at a high-level and they're using the wrong metrics to determine skill for certain heroes, or altogether are missing the data capture points they need.

3. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 2, 2016, 14:58 descender

If you've already played 2 full seasons... should 10 placement matches really be making that much of a difference in your ranking at all? Taking the small placement sample over the larger sample of games you've already played seems like bad math to me. They already basically know what your skill rating should be from the hundreds of games you've played... Expecting that to change drastically between seasons seems to be fundamentally misunderstanding what a skill rating tells you. Your current season rank and your skill rating shouldn't be the same number, they should be separate calculations... but your skill rating from the end of one season to the beginning of the next isn't going to change drastically for any reason.

I guess that part of these season resets are just lost on me. You should obviously reset ladder and leaderboard rankings... but that doesn't mean you have to ignore skill ratings you've already collected over a longer period of time.

2. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 2, 2016, 14:17 Fion

It's not like Blizz has never done ranked gameplay before in one of their games, but they keep fucking it up with Overwatch. Really weird.

I haven't started my placement but has anyone noticed if they fixed the whole issue of losing more points in a loss than you gain in a win? That was a huge problem last season (though apparently not for everyone) and me and the dozen odd people who I had in my friends list playing quit during season 2 because it became impossible to advance in rank because you needed 4-6 wins to get back the points you lose from two losses.

1. Re: On Overwatch Season 3 Placement Dec 2, 2016, 13:07 Pigeon

I was 3-6-1 and got ranked a few points below gold. I figured it would be worse since several of my teams were straight up awful and we got rolled pretty hard, but my personal play was good in most of the games. It was also almost exactly where I was for the 3 days I played season 2, so I canít argue with whatís presented in the video. If itís true they weighted previous rank heavily in the calculation, thatís pretty messed up.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >