Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Metaverse

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 19:44 descender

Just because they offer it doesn't mean that it's best or even meant for all of their customers. For many households multiple simultaneous HD video streams are a reality and they will need increased bandwidth sooner than later. Baby steps :p  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 19:34 HoSpanky

descender wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 19:31:
The purpose of that large of a data pipe is not for any individual device to be able to saturate it. It's so that you can have many devices all pulling at their maximum rates simultaneously.

Most consumer routers aren't even capable of 100MBit speeds, a different problem entirely.

I agree! I'm simply stating what some customers think it means versus what it's FOR.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 19:31 descender

The purpose of that large of a data pipe is not for any individual device to be able to saturate it. It's so that you can have many devices all pulling at their maximum rates simultaneously.

Most consumer routers aren't even capable of 100MBit speeds, a different problem entirely.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2016, 19:43.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 18:14 HoSpanky

10gbps is pointless. The vast majority of users run every device over wireless, which hits around 350mbps max. Even wired laptops can't hit gigabit most of the time, not even close.

The hidden downside to offering gigabit service is that about 10% of subscribers will complain if they don't see gigabit speeds in speed tests, no matter what turd of a device they're testing on. These shitbags REFUSE to understand that most devices aren't actually capable of gigabit speeds. We have a laptop with an ungimped fsb that can hit about 960, and when we take it out to customers' to show them that yes, they are getting gigabit, they accuse us of having a device that cheats to hit those numbers.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 1, 2016, 11:43 Ozmodan

As a TW customer, service was respectable. Since Charter has taken over, they have jacked up all the packages prices and when in old TW days I could jump to another intro package that is no longer case. Every time I call I get a different answer and the prices are ridiculous.

I am lucky that WOW(Wide Open West) is laying fiber throughout the community. As soon as they are available I am leaving Charter, they are major disaster as a cable provider.

2. Re: America's fourth largest cable co will offer 10Gbps fiber* Dec 1, 2016, 11:34 jomisab

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 11:22:
* To three select apartment buildings in one city. You will never get it.

Pretty confident I'll get Gb+ speeds, as will everyone else on Optimum.

Just upgraded from 100Mb service to 200 for another $5/month. Could have gotten 300 for another $35 on top of that, but figured I'll try to be happy with 200.

Bottom line, Cablevision/Optimum, now Altice, has always had great internet service (I've been with them since the late 90's), and they don't throttle/cap. In fact, right now I always get 220Mb as a little bonus. I have faith this long-standing trend of rock-solid service will continue and only get much better.

1. America's fourth largest cable co will offer 10Gbps fiber* Dec 1, 2016, 11:22 Creston

* To three select apartment buildings in one city. You will never get it.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo