Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I got my new driver license in the mail yesterday, which was a pretty quick turnaround for the DMV. I am particularly impressed with one small change New York State has made to the layout of the license. There is now a second very small version of my photo embedded in the card that is transparent like a slide. We've all seen movies and TV shows where someone pastes their photo onto another person's ID, and I'm sure it's not too hard to fake an ID with a cheap inkjet printer, but this bitsy photo is going to make casual forgeries far more difficult to pull off. Seems like a pretty smart move.

IDed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dynamons World.
Subject 26.
Story: Chevy beats Tesla to a sub $30,000 long-range EV.
Science: FDAs OK on trial opens possibility of prescription ecstasy in five years.
Earth warming to climate tipping point, warns study.
Media: Final Fantasy 15 - penguin0. NSFW.
New Footage In "Assassin's Creed" Animus Clip.
idBeCoolif - Harrison Jones in Heroes of the Storm.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 21:38 eRe4s3r

swedishfriend wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 14:07:
A fast charger is nowhere near the cost of the car that is just wrong (you are off by an order of magnitude). Charging stations seem to exist in many parking lots attached to big big stores or shopping centers and malls. Electricity is already available all those places and companies make money selling electricity at charging stations so why would these stations not spread along with demand?

A kwh here costs nearly 30ct and a tesla in winter needs around 23kwh per 100km (which is really a HUGE lot)

It's cheaper to fuel your (much cheaper) car with gasoline. Now admittably the situation in Germany is weird, in that we have very high power costs due to this retarded implemented renewable energy initiative... ;p

Anyway, in Germany what you describe is not the situation at all.

Until there is a EV car that needs a lot less than 15kw/h per 100km and costs less than 10k this entire technology is pointless. At least when you have to pay for a kw/h what I have to pay... unless you buy a EV for ideological reasons, there is sadly no economical benefit for doing so. And when there is no economic benefit, well you get what I have in Germany.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 21:09 eRe4s3r

Thing is, with the way electrical vehicles require KW for distance that is a bad deal currently (in Germany, with the high power cost, that is).

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2016, 21:17.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 20:21 Mr. Tact

Random question: A couple of times now I have run into website forms which don't allow dashes in email addresses. Dashes are clearly an allowed character. I was wonder if anyone knew what the scoop was on this? Is there some popular html tool which has this "mistake" in their standard setup or something?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 18:23 Cutter

swedishfriend wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 14:07:
A fast charger is nowhere near the cost of the car that is just wrong (you are off by an order of magnitude). Charging stations seem to exist in many parking lots attached to big big stores or shopping centers and malls. Electricity is already available all those places and companies make money selling electricity at charging stations so why would these stations not spread along with demand?

Yeah, I see it more and more. Also, those rapid charge batteries are really starting to take off too. In the next few years will be looking at it taking a few minutes for a full charge. I'd love an EV but I'm not buying some ugly dumpy little thing just to hug a tree, and I can't afford a Tesla so I'll have to wait until the best of both worlds collide - the same as most everyone else. It'd be really sweet to get a small pickup like a Ford Ranger that's an EV.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 18:17 Dacote

MDMA is awesome, if it can help vets the faster it comes to market the better. But what about the trees http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/ecstasy-mdma-threatens-rare-cambodian-tree.html  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 14:30 bigspender

'Earth warming to climate tipping point, warns study.'

Politicians won't do jack shit. However we can stop eating meat/dairy/eggs and instantly reduce 50% of global warming. Go plant-based baby
The power and the responsibility is in our hands.

or.... start working on your mad max style dune buggy.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 14:07 swedishfriend

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 13:57 swedishfriend

That chevy starts at 37500. Not "sub $30,000". The $7500 tax credit is not money they give you but can only be subtracted from your tax liability so if you do not owe more than $7500 then you do not get those savings. Most families looking for a reasonably priced car will not benefit from that tax credit.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 13:38 descender

I see charging stations at all major reststops along I95 now when I travel. It is probably going to take more than 5 minutes for the local infrastructure to accommodate electric charging stations but the major highways are already basically covered. You can see on http://www.teslarati.com/map/ that the Quickcharge stations are scattered, but they are actually all over the place.

The 8 hour charge by your existing outlet is pretty irrelevant. Most cars sit in a driveway for 16 hours a day and maybe in a different parking lot for the other 8 while you are at work. There is plenty of time to charge it while it isn't in use.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 13:22 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 12:27:
PHJF wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 11:42:

That Chevy is ugly as sin - likely intentional so people don't buy them.

It looks like a slightly more sporty version of existing green vehicles...

It's long been suspected that most of the big car makers intentionally make ugly EVs precisely so people won't buy them and then they get to go to the various govts to tell them their demands for more fuel efficient vehicles are unwarranted as no one buys them. Then you go look at a Tesla and realize the only reason most people don't buy them is the price, but if they could they would. There's zero reason they can't make a smaller cheaper EV sexy too.

That you can't charge anywhere you go is probably the far greater issue. I dunno about your houses, but I have only a standard socket outside, and charging an EV car takes upwards 8 hours with that.

When I go shopping, parking houses et-al, there are ZERO charging stations anywhere. And no, Tesla isn't gonna magically fix that, as long as the charging tech installation is nearly more expensive than the car itself this is literally a dead-end technology. Because you need localized charging for this, you can't have a gas-station charge your car, it takes forever (compared to gas refill) no gas-station has space for that kind of "parked" car, and no gas-station has an industrial grade power link to the grid.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 12:27 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 11:42:

It's long been suspected that most of the big car makers intentionally make ugly EVs precisely so people won't buy them and then they get to go to the various govts to tell them their demands for more fuel efficient vehicles are unwarranted as no one buys them. Then you go look at a Tesla and realize the only reason most people don't buy them is the price, but if they could they would. There's zero reason they can't make a smaller cheaper EV sexy too.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 11:47 RedEye9

Chevy reportedly loses as much as $9,000 on every Bolt it sells
but there is a method to their madness
However, hitting EV targets allows it to sell more of its profitable, gasoline-powered vehicles in green-centric states like California and New York.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 11:42 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 11:25 Cutter

That Chevy is ugly as sin - likely intentional so people don't buy them. And realistically no one is going to buy a bare bones model which pushes it into the US$35-$45k which is still way too much.

And as for the climate tipping point don't count on the Donald for help. Trump's environment plans could spark opposition. Could? Heh.

2. Re: End of an Era Dec 1, 2016, 11:06 Mr. Tact

As of yesterday morning, the era of ReplayTV has ended for me. It lasted just a bit over 12 years. It is my steadfast position that ReplayTV is the Betamax of DVRs -- the device with the best technology which lost anyway. *sigh*

My replacement is the Hopper 3 from Dish. And I have to admit it isn't terrible. Somehow though, I am guessing this device will not last me 12 years.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 10:46 HorrorScope

Interesting numbers of the # of games released on Steam per year.

http://kotaku.com/nearly-40-of-all-steam-games-were-released-in-2016-1789535450

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo