Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month

The UBI30 page on the Ubisoft Club now reveals the December entry in Ubisoft's 30th anniversary celebration is Assassin's Creed III (thanks VG247). So at some point next month, anyone with a Ubisoft account can pick up a copy of the stealth/action sequel for free. The previous freebies in this promotion have been early in each month, so this is probably less than two weeks off. In the meantime you can still collect on their 30 days of giveaways dealie, though in contrast to the free games, this is turning out to be mostly things you'd expect for free, like "exclusive" gifs.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 13:42 jacobvandy

Slick wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 05:26:
C) don't even pay the pennies required to host the damn game for download, that still goes through Uplay.

Clearly you are taking your own advice and only buying Ubisoft games from Uplay, so kudos on that. But I have several Ubi games on Steam, and when I install say, The Division, that 40 gigs is delivered by Steam, as well as any subsequent patches.

I agree with you that it's not the end of the world to have multiple store clients, but at least part of the reason people don't like the arrangement here is that Uplay acts solely as an additional layer of DRM for those Ubi games purchased on Steam. DRM which sometimes takes its sweet time updating itself when all you're trying to do is launch a game you shouldn't need it for.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 12:39 MattyC

Slick wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 05:26:
I think I'll just copy paste what I said from a thread a couple days ago

Hyperlinks are a thing. Just passing on the information...

12. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 05:26 Slick

you know what, I think I'll just copy paste what I said from a thread a couple days ago:

------

You want everything to be sold through Walmart, cause it's simpler to just buy from Walmart.

Fuck Walmart.

Clicking a different icon on your desktop is not a bridge too far. Having a 100mb app on your 3TB hard drive isn't reason to boycott.

There's no good reason to buy a Uplay game on steam, and they SHOULD stop doing it. But as the market has spoken, there's enough people out there who say: "I only buy games through steam" to make it worth their while.

Steam takes a cut comparable to a publisher. 30% of gross is a lot. if the developer's profit is only 50% of gross (other 50% is development costs, marketing etc.), steam takes literally more (30%) than the actual game developers get (20%).

And for this fee, they:

A) don't pay for any development of the game

B) don't pay for any marketing or advertising of the game besides appearing in the steam store.

C) don't even pay the pennies required to host the damn game for download, that still goes through Uplay.

and for all of that, you now have 2x DRM programs you have to have launched simultaneously to play your game. It's ridiculous. And the only reason it still exists is because people say: "I only shop at Walmart".

And don't even get me started on the hypocracy with Steam. They sued their publisher (Vivendi) in a 4-year legal battle for the right to sell their own shit in their own store, without a 3rd party taking a huge cut. Sound familiar? And guess what? People were up in arms about it. "I have to download some online DRM to play the single-player HalfLife 2?! Are you fucking kidding me!? People had torches and pitchforks and were out for GabeN's head on a pike. Now they revere Steam like it's a religion, and are armed to the teeth in opposition to any other developer selling their own games on their own store. How hilariously circuitous.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

11. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 05:19 Slick

rist3903 wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 21:44:
Now if only this were on steam instead of uplay.

Yeah, fuck free things. I only accept free things if they're handed out at walmart.

I swear, there's this underground contingent on this forum that's hell-bent on making me blow my brains out.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

10. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 02:45 Retired

Didn't another company give this away free already? Or is this the 2nd story?  

9. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 01:27 MattyC

this is probably less than two weeks off.

Per Uplay it will be out on the 7th.

8. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 00:32 RedEye9

I wish it was for GFWL.  

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

7. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 21:44 rist3903

Now if only this were on steam instead of uplay.

6. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 21:37 yonder

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 20:18:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 19:20:
Should have given away Black Flag or Rogue.

Three was pretty meh but Black Flag kicked major ass which is why they're not giving it away. I'd suspect they're still doing decent sales on BF and little to none on Three.

Not sure who picks the game, but BF was free as part of MS's Games With Gold.

5. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 21:35 yonder

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 19:40:
Works for me, AC3 is the only one I never got around to playing!

Also, I read that someone dug around in the site code to find out what all the 30 Days of Ubi whatever things are, and free AC3 is listed for December 7th. So only a week to wait for that.

Other notable goodies include a first-come, first-served giveaway of 300 copies of a few "latest Ubisoft titles" on Dec. 9th, and repeats of previous monthly giveaways from the 22nd-25th: Prince of Persia, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell, and The Crew.

AC3 is where I got burnt out on the feature creep. Tons of fun, but eventually I stopped caring. Got about 1/2-2/3 of the way through Black Flag and the same thing happened.

I dunno if it's boring or if it's truly too much of a good thing. Plus... I have medical issues which prevents me from playing as much or as often as I like... then I come back after 6 weeks of non-playing and I'm completely confused and lost. Similar thing happened the two times I tried to play Skyrim. I refuse to just barrel through an Elder Scrolls game, so I have 700 hours via two main plays and still haven't finished the game (or half the stuff).

4. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 20:18 Cutter

Three was pretty meh but Black Flag kicked major ass which is why they're not giving it away. I'd suspect they're still doing decent sales on BF and little to none on Three.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

3. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 19:45 Shok

I'm sure they are saving those for the 50th anniversary

2. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 19:40 jacobvandy

Works for me, AC3 is the only one I never got around to playing!

Also, I read that someone dug around in the site code to find out what all the 30 Days of Ubi whatever things are, and free AC3 is listed for December 7th. So only a week to wait for that.

Other notable goodies include a first-come, first-served giveaway of 300 copies of a few "latest Ubisoft titles" on Dec. 9th, and repeats of previous monthly giveaways from the 22nd-25th: Prince of Persia, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell, and The Crew.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2016, 19:47.

1. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Nov 30, 2016, 19:20 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo