Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 19:45 {PH}88fingers

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 17:07:
Purchased a Dell small shit laptop for my missus a few months ago and it's atrociously slow considering it actually has quite a bit of ram and cpu power.. the problem is the 5400 rpm hard drive which I was trying to get a 500GB SSD but dell was asking like 700$ more for this.

Now i'm looking at it going I should have bought the SSD but maybe I'll try to do it myself and fuck up the warranty.

for sure man, I buy several laptops a year for family/ small business etc and I ALWAYS buy a stand alone ssd which i install myself as soon as i open the laptops out of the box. I dont even run it once, straight up open em up and switch out the hard drive for the SSD, it's SUPER simple don't be afraid. just make sure you have copy of the OS ready/handy
the difference is night and day... people that aren't running their laptops/desktops on ssd's are morons in this day and age considering how cheap a 240~ gb ssd is nowadays

-edit and no, you shouldn't have bought the option with SSD, the markups are insane, the best way is buying laptops at good prices with the standard piece of shit hard drive and buying a cheap 256gb ssd separately and swapping it out the moment you open the box.

this one currently on sale for $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178967

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2016, 19:53.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 17:07 Tipsy McStagger

Purchased a Dell small shit laptop for my missus a few months ago and it's atrociously slow considering it actually has quite a bit of ram and cpu power.. the problem is the 5400 rpm hard drive which I was trying to get a 500GB SSD but dell was asking like 700$ more for this.

Now i'm looking at it going I should have bought the SSD but maybe I'll try to do it myself and fuck up the warranty.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 16:23 {PH}88fingers

Nimh wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 13:38:
wtf_man wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 12:38:
Storage Real-World Performance: NVMe vs. SATA vs. HDD - TechSpot

Good general info and video comparison. Sometimes tech articles and charts just don't really convey the differences.

Nice comparison.. I picked up a few MX300 525Mb drives during the sale on Monday to finally upgrade my ancient X25M (which still has like 98% life remaining according to SSD toolbox). Looking forward to the boost.

All we need now are some new LGA1366 boards with NVMe and USB 3.0 support.

Yeah, I just bought new board, 16gb 3200mem, cpu, cooler and got a new m.2 board, but since the EVO 960 and Pro models doesn't look like any stock will be available until early 2017 I jumped on this one: Patriot Hellfire 480GB PCIe Gen3 x4 (M.2)
for $230
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L44SEWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

will be nice =D

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 16:17 sir

Be careful, Cutter, personal comments like that get you whacked over the head with a swingeing arc of the good ole banhammer.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 14:44 Cutter

Fuck you Tin Cook, seriously. What a ginormous hypocritical douchenozzle. Middlefinger

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 14:39 Wallshadows

Surprised to see such high thermals from that 7700k but I am 100% certain that Intel is continuing the trend of using garbage TIM between the die and the heat spreader to save a couple bucks.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 13:38 Nimh

wtf_man wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 12:38:

Good general info and video comparison. Sometimes tech articles and charts just don't really convey the differences.

Nice comparison.. I picked up a few MX300 525Mb drives during the sale on Monday to finally upgrade my ancient X25M (which still has like 98% life remaining according to SSD toolbox). Looking forward to the boost.

All we need now are some new LGA1366 boards with NVMe and USB 3.0 support.

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 30, 2016, 12:38 wtf_man

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >