Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries offers a whopping twenty-two hundred or so word essay on the state of Star Citizen, the upcoming space combat game. Chris Roberts notes they are celebrating the fourth anniversary of the project, which includes a sale to support their now-stated goal of not stopping at their original stated goals. On that front he says, "The additional ships are rewards for helping expand our dream, to make sure we continue to go above and beyond what we set out to create." The post also includes a link to the Production Schedule Report mentioned last night, broken into a number of complicated subsections, but they all seem to be end at the release of alpha version 2.6 on December 8th, and don't seem to offer any outlook on when to expect a full release. The news is also accompanied by a few new videos from the game (thanks DSOGaming), a Star Marine Preview, the Big Guns of the UEE, and Behind The Big Guns of the UEE. Here's a bit from the blog post on their reasoning for selling still more ships for the uncompleted game, and it's doubtful that anyone would argue his point that no other game offers their options for "refactoring" pledges, since they are way off in the uncharted regions of crowdfunding:
The desire to continue to improve Star Citizen is also why we have begun offering an incentive to purchase a new concept with fresh money rather than melting a ship and using store credit. We offer backers a more comprehensive system for melting and refactoring their pledges than we had ever dreamed possible back in 2012, which is a system I believe no other game offers, and as a result you can often swap to a more favored ship without impacting funding at all. We built this to allow you all to be able to purchase a ship with confidence, knowing that if something you like better comes along you can switch out to it with minimal hassle and no loss. We do not intend to change this system, but maintaining it means that we need to find other ways to encourage new contributions rather than just recycling old ones as the continued funding means we can continue to make the game as good as it possibly can be. Going forward, these cash sales will focus on newly introduced concept ships and top tier limited capital ships.

View : : :
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale
Nov 20, 2016, 03:09
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 20, 2016, 03:09
Nov 20, 2016, 03:09

You mean the dog is the developer right?

Nov 20, 2016, 03:08
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 20, 2016, 03:08
Nov 20, 2016, 03:08

Dr_Dissent wrote on Nov 20, 2016, 01:29:
I was out walking my dog on the trail behind my house and I ran into this guy walking his dog. Started talking. He's a developer who works at CIG here in Austin. Says he's working on Star Citizen. I just smiled and said I was familiar with the company. What do you say when you meet a stranger who owes you money?
Should have kicked him straight in the daddy bag.

Re: Into the Black
Nov 20, 2016, 02:52
Re: Into the Black Nov 20, 2016, 02:52
Nov 20, 2016, 02:52

I was out walking my dog on the trail behind my house and I ran into this guy walking his dog. Started talking. He's a developer who works at CIG here in Austin. Says he's working on Star Citizen. I just smiled and said I was familiar with the company. What do you say when you meet a stranger who owes you money?

Was it a real dog, or was it a picture of a potential future virtual dog that they paid a few thousand for? Did they snag lifetime insurance for it?

Nov 20, 2016, 02:27
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 20, 2016, 02:27
Nov 20, 2016, 02:27

What do you mean "say"? You just go straight for the throat, dude.

Nov 20, 2016, 02:20
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 20, 2016, 02:20
Nov 20, 2016, 02:20

Pump him for info! Just the usual stuff: What's it like? What do you do there? Is Chris Roberts really a flaming asshole? You know, that kind of thing.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Nov 20, 2016, 01:29
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 20, 2016, 01:29
Nov 20, 2016, 01:29

Nov 20, 2016, 00:10
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 20, 2016, 00:10
Nov 20, 2016, 00:10

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 22:10:
The richest country in the world just elected the biggest imbecile to be their president and somehow we are all surprised that there are shitloads of idiots out there

I gotta admit, the man has a point.

Nov 19, 2016, 23:12
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 23:12
Nov 19, 2016, 23:12

The first demo of Star Marine back in 2015 made it look kind of unique, like it's own thing. Now it's just an arena shooter, kind of UT meets Battlefield. I thought the initial concept was more interesting.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Nov 19, 2016, 22:52
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:52
Nov 19, 2016, 22:52

You know, Broussard got a lot of shit back in the day from everyone (myself included) but at least he fucked off doing it with his own money. How I would love to see this end in an indictment. Or contract hit.

Nov 19, 2016, 22:29
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:29
Nov 19, 2016, 22:29

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 21:55:
Armengar wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 12:57:
Ship the game.

They have shipped the game. In fact, there are so many ships planned for the game that they've probably overshipped the game.

All it needs is to be Flagshipped (oh yeah worked in a Hellgate: London joke!)

Nov 19, 2016, 22:23
Fugazi

Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:23
Nov 19, 2016, 22:23
 Fugazi

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 22:12:
Fugazi wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 21:51:
I am an original backer and have quite a few ships, but I have not bought anything this year. Waiting for the game.

Cool. I could see buying back in the day when Chris was trying to get of the ground, and it looked like you'd be flying those ships in a couple of years. I am wondering that people who are buying now are thinking though. Any thoughts?

I actually went to a 'Bar Citizen' on Friday and met people who had just signed up and were buying quite a few ships. They seemed to be people who were tired of consoles, just invested in a new gaming PC, and then discovered SC via friends or Twitch. They knew more about the lore and whatnot than I did.
(Which is not saying much as I am not big on game fiction until I am in the game itself.)
The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

Nov 19, 2016, 22:17
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:17
Nov 19, 2016, 22:17

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 22:10:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 22:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 20:27:
Exactly, SQ42 isn't even listed in their worked on projects, and this could mean a variety things, but one of them being that it's not being worked on currently by any internal RSI studio doesn't exactly inspire confidence....

Actually SQ42 is the one thing I have confidence in:

1. It's a traditional design, no pie-in-the-sky technology required to bring it to life.

2. It's run by Erin Roberts who has a proven track record of shipping games on time and budget.

3. It's got a defined scope.

Yeah that guy has no idea what he's talking about, the game is currently in development in the UK.

I am also a backer but no have not put in anything beyond the original amount. I don't bitch and moan though like alot of people here, the more money they pull in the more money is being put into the game so my 50$ goes that much further. What do I care how many rich idiots waste more of their money, I win in the end with the better game.
The richest country in the world just elected the biggest imbecile to be their president and somehow we are all surprised that there are shitloads of idiots out there

LOL about Trump. That's very true, and the parallels are striking. Trump was selling dreams too, and people bought them. I'm not that confident he'll follow though. I hope Roberts does though.

And yes, I did call them idiots, but like you I've also said many times that the more money people put into it, the more I benefit, so I don't really care. I just continue to be dumbfounded and not comprehending of those people.

Nov 19, 2016, 22:12
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:12
Nov 19, 2016, 22:12

Fugazi wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 21:51:
I am an original backer and have quite a few ships, but I have not bought anything this year. Waiting for the game.

Cool. I could see buying back in the day when Chris was trying to get of the ground, and it looked like you'd be flying those ships in a couple of years. I am wondering that people who are buying now are thinking though. Any thoughts?

Nov 19, 2016, 22:10
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:10
Nov 19, 2016, 22:10

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 22:02:
Exactly, SQ42 isn't even listed in their worked on projects, and this could mean a variety things, but one of them being that it's not being worked on currently by any internal RSI studio doesn't exactly inspire confidence....

1. It's a traditional design, no pie-in-the-sky technology required to bring it to life.

2. It's run by Erin Roberts who has a proven track record of shipping games on time and budget.

Yeah that guy has no idea what he's talking about, the game is currently in development in the UK.

I am also a backer but no have not put in anything beyond the original amount. I don't bitch and moan though like alot of people here, the more money they pull in the more money is being put into the game so my 50$ goes that much further. What do I care how many rich idiots waste more of their money, I win in the end with the better game.

Nov 19, 2016, 22:09
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:09

SlimRam wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 20:48:
O.k. *cracking knuckles* IF, I was runnin' the company HERE's what I would do...

I would stop having ship and concept sales altogether. Just put everything that you can sell constantly up for sale, period. Stop trying to make money, screw it. At this point, everyone knows about this game and will buy what they want, if they want. These sales only make the company look like they are money grubbers; end them. If they do still have cash to burn (which is unknown), put everybody on the immediate job of finishing Squadron 42 and I mean EVERYONE!

Then, just ship Squadron 42 and a server-side version of the Persistent Universe kinda like they have right now BUT with all the ships available to fly that you can configure and run on your own server if you want.

Next, watch the money from selling an actual game come rollin' in along with a renewed sense of purpose and a much needed boost of confidence for the company as a whole. THEN finish the MMO part of the game and release it to the masses as a decent 1.0 and keep adding and tweaking it to perfection.

I know, I know, it's ALL crazy talk!

There are a few problems with your plan:

1. If they did this, there wouldn't be a space janitor character for you to play.

2. If they ship, they can't sell VIRTUAL ships, they actually have to exist.

3. Lastly, why buy the alligator when you can get the milk for free?

Anticipation is a much greater selling point than reality. Chris is selling dreams, and idiots are buying them. He's going to string this along as along as he can, and given the number$ that Fingers posted, there's no slowing of his incoming funding. So why change anything at all?

SQ 42 will come out in a year, and it will be fun or it won't, but it won't boost morale or result in a lot of extra cash.

Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:09

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 21:14:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 20:46:
It would help if some of y'all would actually read the damn letter instead of producing uneducated drivel. The letter specifically says...

So for Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 we’re going to share our internal schedule and its breakouts on a weekly basis.

Very simple, no rocket surgery. The schedule they are sharing is solely about PU alpha version 2.6, i.e. it is not about the entire project, not about Squadron 42 and not about when Christ Roberts is getting his hair dyed again or when Sandi Gardiner is going to get a boob job. Capisce?

Thanks for mentioning that... but who cares about the PTU 2.6 somewhen in December though when SQ42 was supposed to release this month and a final EP1 was supposed to be showcased at citizencon, but wasn't? And yes, the letter clearly talks about the PTU, but the schedule report pages does talk about Squadron 42... only to then quickly not ever mention it again ;p

I agree with you that it is kind of sad (but also expected and telling) how S42 is getting swept under the rug.

But for clarification: They never promised that S42 would be out this month. They only ever mentioned "2016" in that teaser trailer from last year but no specific month. At CitizenCon in October it was confirmed that it won't be out this year.

Also, what they originally wanted to show at CitizenCon was not an entire episode but just a single mission (although one episode comprises approximately two missions so it's at least half an episode, yeah).
They made it sound as if the mission demo just barely did not make it and that it would be shown "soon" but -as expected- more than a month has passed since then with no sign of that single mission demo. So far, it wasn't part of the anniversary streams either. Maybe x-mas?

It's definitely really shitty of them to not even provide a status update but there is an anniversary sale going on so they have much better things to do right now...

Nov 19, 2016, 22:02
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 22:02
Nov 19, 2016, 22:02

Nov 19, 2016, 21:55
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 21:55
Nov 19, 2016, 21:55

Armengar wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 12:57:
Ship the game.

They have shipped the game. In fact, there are so many ships planned for the game that they've probably overshipped the game.

Nov 19, 2016, 21:53
Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 21:53
Nov 19, 2016, 21:53

El Pit wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 16:10:
Tumbler wrote on Nov 19, 2016, 15:46:
These internal projections only go as far as Dec 8th!?

Either they expect to run out of money on Dec 8th, or this is the release date. Wow - so close! ALMOST DONE!!!

Dec 8th of which year exactly?

Nov 19, 2016, 21:51
Fugazi

Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 21:51
Nov 19, 2016, 21:51
 Fugazi

The CRTC needs to be destroyed.
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older