Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 14:28 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 14:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 13:29:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 01:29:
swedishfriend wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 23:30:
The noise from the tires is already much louder than the engine noise in many modern gasoline cars. When I am out walking I often hear the tire noise without ever hearing the engine of cars that are close.

Quality tires don't have that problem.

ALL tires make noise above a certain speed (25mph) and above 30mph you have wind noise.

This law is for speeds below that range where tires make (no) noise ^^

I wasn't suggesting there is NO sound. I was saying, the cheapies are the ones that make loud brown noise when a car is cruising by at neighborhood speeds. Higher end tires are typically much quieter.

My point was that there is no perceivable sound, especially in winter (where tires are harder) and when it is windy, I experience 2 hybrid cars in my street nearly daily, you can't hear them, flat out. Ok, the speed limit here is 30km/h , at that speed all I hear is a faint "shhhhh" sound from the tires when the car is passing me, that is. Not before, and not after.

Also tire noise really depends on the road surface too.... anyway, point is this law is about some very real problem with e-cars. They are ninjas and that isn't meant jokingly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 14:20 ForgedReality

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 10:41:
If only people had holes in their head that would allow light to be transformed into a visual image within their brains, then these cars wouldn't be such a problem.

I know right? Blind/visually-impaired people should never be allowed in public. It's insanity! Don't worry. The Donald will fix this...

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 14:18 ForgedReality

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 13:29:
The noise from the tires is already much louder than the engine noise in many modern gasoline cars. When I am out walking I often hear the tire noise without ever hearing the engine of cars that are close.

ALL tires make noise above a certain speed (25mph) and above 30mph you have wind noise.

I wasn't suggesting there is NO sound. I was saying, the cheapies are the ones that make loud brown noise when a car is cruising by at neighborhood speeds. Higher end tires are typically much quieter.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 13:29 eRe4s3r

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2016, 14:00.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 10:41 UttiniDaKilrJawa

If only people had holes in their head that would allow light to be transformed into a visual image within their brains, then these cars wouldn't be such a problem.  

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 09:56 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 21:35:
Why not just include a sensor that turns the noise on or honks or what have you when it detects a pedestrian on the road? I think one of the big draws of electricars is their silence. They're the ninjas of cars.

Shhh

Or, you know, the driver could just stick his/her head out the window and go "vroom vroom".

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 03:42 Luke

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 20:47:
Steam Machine slump is due to the Steam Machine

The real question is what's causing the Windows 10 slump?

Winshit 10 and it's spyware sucking users dry

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 15, 2016, 01:29 ForgedReality

Quality tires don't have that problem. It's the cheap, garbage tires that are typically included with a car that are loud and annoying.

I don't think "honking" or something like that would be the appropriate solution either. The problem isn't pedestrians in the road, it's when pedestrians are alongside the road, either attempting to cross, or just walking alongside. You want to be able to hear oncoming vehicles around you, especially for visually impaired individuals.

What about something like the kids used to do in the olden days with playing cards in the spokes of their bicycles?

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2016, 23:30 swedishfriend

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2016, 23:23 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 21:35:
Why not just include a sensor that turns the noise on or honks or what have you when it detects a pedestrian on the road? I think one of the big draws of electricars is their silence. They're the ninjas of cars.

Shhh

Yeah I don't think having them "make a noise" 100% of the time is the point of such a car.. in fact I can already see the problems, resonating sounds from electric cars driving people mad at night.. no thanks.

And honking at night in a city, would be a quick way to get angry neighbors throwing shit at you. Or bricks...

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2016, 21:35 Cutter

Shhh

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 14, 2016, 20:47 RedEye9

Steam Machine slump is due to the Steam Machine

The real question is what's causing the Windows 10 slump?

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo