Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal?

Watch Dogs 2 is due for official release on consoles tomorrow, bringing a new installment in Ubisoft's open-world hacking series. One of the missions apparently involves hacking Ubisoft itself to steal details about an upcoming project. This video has the "confidential" information from the mission, showing off a science fiction game. This has lead to speculation from Kotaku and others (thanks nin) that this may be a sneaky way of revealing an actual upcoming game project. Ubisoft hasn't commented on this, so all there we have is guesswork for now.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 15, 2016, 10:28 Grumpy Sod

Quboid wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 16:34:
This is the same problem that Watch Dogs 1 had when you e-mugged random citizens and it affected quite a few people's experience - which makes it exactly the sort of thing that a review should talk about.

This is why I stopped, and probably remarkably early on in the campaign. I just got this queasy 'two faced douche' feeling from the dissonance of the games parts. I think I got asked to do a mission at some point and went "um, no, I won't" and thus endeth the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 15, 2016, 10:18 Slick

Nimh wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 08:15:
Slick wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 14:14:
Nimh wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 12:48:
Is Ubisoft wading into the PC space game drama club now? The genre does sell really well, and as with NMS you really don't need to deliver that much content to make mad bank.

One thing I don't think you can knock Ubi for is production value, to compare to the amount of content available in NMS is a bit of a stretch. Even though the gameplay became boring and predictable, the AssCred series thew ridiculous amounts of man-hours into producing those worlds, WD_1 too while we're at it. WD_1 had like 3x the city of GTA V. Watching the credits for one of these games I swear I saw a dozen Ubi studios worldwide that contributed to these titles, a far cry from the 16 people working on NMS. One of these Ubi AAA titles has about the same number of studios working on the same project as NMS had employees ^_^

I didn't get that much mileage from the AC series.. climbing towers got boring pretty quickly, similar to scanning the same flora/fauna ad infinitum.

Ubisoft art assets are amazing however.

Yeah, I mean the mileage is there to be had, from the art assets, the modeling of the city, all the historical blurbs and re-creations, there's a lot of stuff in those games. I happen to get bored with them in the first 4 hours personally, but for someone that enjoys that stuff, I think we can say there's LOTS of stuff to enjoy. I just wish they'd make a new black flag game, or remaster it, it was by far the best AC experience I've had, and the only game I've completed since the first.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

16. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 15, 2016, 08:15 Nimh

Slick wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 14:14:
Is Ubisoft wading into the PC space game drama club now? The genre does sell really well, and as with NMS you really don't need to deliver that much content to make mad bank.

One thing I don't think you can knock Ubi for is production value, to compare to the amount of content available in NMS is a bit of a stretch. Even though the gameplay became boring and predictable, the AssCred series thew ridiculous amounts of man-hours into producing those worlds, WD_1 too while we're at it. WD_1 had like 3x the city of GTA V. Watching the credits for one of these games I swear I saw a dozen Ubi studios worldwide that contributed to these titles, a far cry from the 16 people working on NMS. One of these Ubi AAA titles has about the same number of studios working on the same project as NMS had employees ^_^

I didn't get that much mileage from the AC series.. climbing towers got boring pretty quickly, similar to scanning the same flora/fauna ad infinitum.

Ubisoft art assets are amazing however.

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

15. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 15, 2016, 06:11 The Half Elf

I got a Firefly/Starcraft vibe just from the music.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

14. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 15, 2016, 04:57 Qbex .

IgWannA wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 13:06:
I get a Cowboy Bebop vibe from the trailer and music. I'm going with a story-driven space trading game.

100 times this, it was first thing that came into mind watching that clip. I would love me some bebop action. Space bounty hunting and exploration freelancer style, obligatory kung fu moves sleeping dogs style, and I'm all over this. Fingers crossed ...

13. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 17:09 DangerDog

Funny, but but I doubt it's a real upcoming project.  

12. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 16:34 Quboid

Beamer, here's what I assume is the most controversial bit:

The cutscenes almost always paint DedSec as an Anonymous-esque group of peaceful hacktivists, which begs the question: Why are guns here at all, beyond the stun gun that you start the game with?

That's not the only place where Watch Dogs 2's tone falters. Many of the missions Marcus takes on are more problematic than the game cares to note. In one, you hack into a teenage girl's webcam to scare her, to "teach her a lesson" that she shouldn't stream herself online over a webcam.

DedSec's gross, victim-blaming reasoning: Running your webcam is insecure, and someone might stalk her.

[...]

Watch Dogs 2 pays some lip service to the idea that these hackers must struggle to avoid becoming what they hate. By using all-powerful software to manipulate the world, could they be as bad as the corporations they're fighting against? But in the end, lips service is all it is. Over and over, DedSec embraces the role of judge, jury and (when you decide to use guns) executioner, with little real self-awareness.

In a purely comedic story and one with less emphasis on killing people this might work, but every time Watch Dogs 2 tried to be more serious, I got ripped out of the game's silly alternate reality.

It is criticising the dissonance, 'gross' actions are inconsistent with being the good guys. In the summary it refers to "[if it] found a better balance between silliness and seriousness, it would be essential, rather than just cathartic."

This is the same problem that Watch Dogs 1 had when you e-mugged random citizens and it affected quite a few people's experience - which makes it exactly the sort of thing that a review should talk about.

11. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 16:21 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 13:32:
NKD wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 12:19:

Unsurprisingly Polygon found the presence of guns and the ability to do bad things incredibly 'problematic' and 'gross'.

Which for any other game would be laughable, but read up on the basic story premise and you'll understand why it's not just problematic, but completely insane in the context of the story.

Crime AI flags someone with 86% probability to be the next jerkface 2.0
jerkface 2.0 fights this because he feels it's not right
jerkface 2.0 becomes a murdering terrorist to prove he is not a murdering terrorist???
Crime AI correctly flagged jerkface 2.0

Which makes for an extremely questionable "moral of the story" if you were being flippant, you could even construct that Ubisoft promotes terrorism, well, depending on how the story ends.

The game could very well address that inconsistency.. or consistency depending on how you look at it. Did the AI calculate its own actions into its prediction? I don't know. Or the promotional material could be overstating how much that prediction played into this guys motivations.

It's the first thing that comes to mind "Hey, they predicted he'd be a criminal and so he's... doing criminal things?" I'd expect they'd address that in some manner.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

10. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 15:55 Beamer

Quboid wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 15:26:

Unsurprisingly Polygon found the presence of guns and the ability to do bad things incredibly 'problematic' and 'gross'.

Which for any other game would be laughable, but read up on the basic story premise and you'll understand why it's not just problematic, but completely insane in the context of the story.

jerkface 2.0 becomes a murdering terrorist to prove he is not a murdering terrorist???

Which makes for an extremely questionable "moral of the story" if you were being flippant, you could even construct that Ubisoft promotes terrorism, well, depending on how the story ends.

This was a big problem with WD1, the protagonist was supposed to be a good guy but the writing was so bad and the gameplay so unimaginative, there was a massive disconnect between what we saw/did and what we were told to think. Polygon can get rather hand-wringy but this just looks like they have standards for story telling.

I can't read the review, but most of the comments I saw on reddit tended to either go "Polygon is the worst, I don't even need to read this to know that" or "Polygon has a point, there are some issues with this story, and they still gave it an 8/10 so it isn't like they did some huge injustice to it."

Open world games will often have this issue - it's really hard to give us someone taking a moral high ground when we spend so much of our free time in the game mercilessly and pointlessly killing civilians and police officers. Some games will try to draw the line that all the police officers are bad, and Saints Row goes hypercartoonish and creates a world where these kinds of people are celebrated and the size of the bodycount is directly proportionate to the celebrity status and the endorsement offers.

But otherwise? It's hard to be serious, and take moral high ground, and encourage us to go on senseless killing sprees by making it fun as hell. This doesn't make a good game bad, but it make any game feel a bit weird at times.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 15:26 Quboid

This was a big problem with WD1, the protagonist was supposed to be a good guy but the writing was so bad and the gameplay so unimaginative, there was a massive disconnect between what we saw/did and what we were told to think. Polygon can get rather hand-wringy but this just looks like they have standards for story telling.

8. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 14:14 Slick

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

7. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 13:32 eRe4s3r

6. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 13:06 IgWannA

I get a Cowboy Bebop vibe from the trailer and music. I'm going with a story-driven space trading game.  

5. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 12:48 Nimh

Everyone has a heart, and its calling for something. And were all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

4. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 12:19 NKD

Looks like the reviews are coming in on the console peasant version of the game and the consensus seems to be that it's a very significant improvement from the first game.

We'll see how the PC version performs however...

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

3. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 11:11 Darks

If this is in the game, then thats a brilliant idea. Good way to prompt people to go looking for it.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

2. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 10:35 Slick

Reminds me of ASs Cred IV: Black Flag, where in "real life" your job was to sabotage a french-canadian game developer xD I like how Ubi of all the big publishers is cool with taking it on the chin like that.  

1. Re: Does Watch Dogs 2 Include a Sneaky Game Reveal? Nov 14, 2016, 10:18 The Half Elf

Unless you get it on the PC and have to wait till the 29th....  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >