Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'll dance around spoiling anything, but holy smoke was Westworld intense last night. The big twist confirmed my pet theory, but I won't get all full of myself as I know there were others thinking the same thing. The show remains amazingly compelling as they start revealing things. I think that will be key to its success, as you can't just heap mysteries on top of each other without answering any of them. I've enjoyed the show so much I am feeling bad about the first season ending and its still almost got a third remaining.

AI Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Massive Match.
Mobs, Inc.
Links: 6 People Who Beat Video Games In Hilarious Ways.
Why Do So Many People Like Cats?
Stories: SNL Hits Ratings Highs With Chappelle.
Cleveland Browns Fan Plans Parade To Celebrate Franchise Failure. Thanks Cutter.
Next "Kong: Skull Island"Trailer Wednesday.
Media: ELDERS PLAY BATTLEFIELD 1 (Elders React- Gaming).
Video World - The Death of a Video Store.
This Ridiculously Huge Firework Is Not Messing Around. Thanks ViperFour.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.
Awesom Grades - FoxTrot.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 15, 2016, 20:35 Mr. Tact

Season one of B5 is much better the second time around, when you can see all the subtle foreshadowing. Yeah, DS9 did get off to a slow start, it seems to take those Trek writers a season or two to get their act together -- same thing happened in ST:TNG, the first two seasons blew chunks.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 15, 2016, 18:30 shiho

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 09:23:
shiho wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 02:06:
They mapped out 5 seasons already, which is always a bad sign,
Not always. When JMS mapped the full five seasons of Babylon 5 it was great. Well, except for the fact that the network gave up on it and made him cut it short. But having story arcs that cover entire seasons or entire series can be a strong plus. Another good example is Star Trek DS9. Excellent long story arcs that really tied the show together over seven seasons.

Season 3 of Babylon 5 was one of the best things I've seen on television. The rest were not so good. Season 1 was an atrocity.

Both DS9 and Babylon 5 were very drawn out shows with lots of filler. DS9 didn't even get good until season 3.

16. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 15, 2016, 09:23 Mr. Tact

shiho wrote on Nov 15, 2016, 02:06:
They mapped out 5 seasons already, which is always a bad sign,
Not always. When JMS mapped the full five seasons of Babylon 5 it was great. Well, except for the fact that the network gave up on it and made him cut it short. But having story arcs that cover entire seasons or entire series can be a strong plus. Another good example is Star Trek DS9. Excellent long story arcs that really tied the show together over seven seasons.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 15, 2016, 02:06 shiho

Westworld is a meandering tale which loses its focus 85% of the time. Very much LOST. They mapped out 5 seasons already, which is always a bad sign, and always results in tons of filler, which this show mostly consists of.

"Humans" is a better show, which better develops similar concepts.

14. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 14, 2016, 12:59 TangledThorns

I stopped watching Westworld after the second episode. It felt like I was watching Battlestar Galactica/Caprica with elements of LOST all over again. The 'robots have feelings too' genre is tired and old.  

13. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 14, 2016, 12:59 Acleacius

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 12:35:
I'm really dissapointed with Westworld so far. Granted, haven't seen the last episode yet, but apart from the first episode the show feels like it's dragging its heels at least it does so to me. There is no real excitement or danger since none of the humans can get hurt, the hosts keep coming back and the mystery of the maze is just nowhere even close to unraveling. I keep waiting for something to happen and it never does. Without spoiling it for me, does something significant finally happen in episode 6?
Do you mean episode seven, six was last week 11/6? Personally I'm more interested in Dolores's story, so episode 6 didn't have much appeal for me. Things are starting to happen, absolutely. There's only 3 episodes left in the season. So unless it's really painful for you to watch or you have a huge backlog of better shows, it's probably a safe bet things are going to get pretty crazy.

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

12. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 14, 2016, 12:35 VaranDragon

I'm really dissapointed with Westworld so far. Granted, haven't seen the last episode yet, but apart from the first episode the show feels like it's dragging its heels at least it does so to me. There is no real excitement or danger since none of the humans can get hurt, the hosts keep coming back and the mystery of the maze is just nowhere even close to unraveling. I keep waiting for something to happen and it never does. Without spoiling it for me, does something significant finally happen in episode 6?  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 12:28 Wallshadows

I'mg going with the "wait till season is over" approach so I can just do nothing but binge on it like the sloth that I am.  

10. Re: popular threads changed . Nov 14, 2016, 12:25  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 12:18:
When I clicked previous 2 days, the Popular Threads menu changed to this http://i.imgur.com/yunauEe.jpg
Maybe I just never noticed.

Any time you are looking at the archives or search results, that list switches to most popular threads of all time. When you are viewing the front page or individual stories it covers the past seven days.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. popular threads changed . Nov 14, 2016, 12:18 RedEye9

When I clicked previous 2 days, the Popular Threads menu changed to this http://i.imgur.com/yunauEe.jpg
Maybe I just never noticed.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 12:05 Acleacius

nin wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 11:22:
All I know is: IMDB lists the actress as 9 episodes, not 7.

I can't figure out what happened to Lili Simmons, she got a recurring role. Hope they didn't have to cut her scenes to the last 3 episodes. Unless someone else saw her, but I specifically looked for her with no luck.

7. Why do so many people like cats Nov 14, 2016, 11:35 Creston

Because they're all psychopaths

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 11:32 Cutter

"Rather than being a group mourning exercise, McNeil envisions the parade as a joyous event where Cleveland fans can lean in to the atrocity of the Browns and accept that this team is not getting better at any time soon: Its not supposed to be going out with brown bags on our heads. Its about enjoying sucking, just embracing it."

Lol! Ahhh, I guess Seph can identify with that.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 11:22 nin

Acleacius wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 11:03:
Blue wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 10:21:
nin wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 10:11:
Spoilers: I'm guessing that body being printed on the table is the new Theresa Cullen?

Quite the episode...

Spoilers: I agree... I was surprised he didn't have one all printed up and ready to roll already (having her just disappear would obviously be more than a little odd). I think they sacrificed a little "realism" in that scene for drama, as walking away leaving her body there was striking, but a little odd. It had a little of that 'cool guys don't look back at the explosion' deal.
Did you guys see the preview? Don't read the spoilery tag I'm adding if you did not. It doesn't sound like it, because.....Ford is showing the dead body to Charlotte. Who is the one trying to kick Ford out. Wouldn't he want Charlotte fooled into thinking Theresa was still around. Or is Ford simultaneously threatening Charlotte and concocting a plan with her?

All I know is: IMDB lists the actress as 9 episodes, not 7.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 11:03 Acleacius

Blue wrote on Nov 14, 2016, 10:21:
Spoilers: I'm guessing that body being printed on the table is the new Theresa Cullen?

Quite the episode...

Spoilers: I agree... I was surprised he didn't have one all printed up and ready to roll already (having her just disappear would obviously be more than a little odd). I think they sacrificed a little "realism" in that scene for drama, as walking away leaving her body there was striking, but a little odd. It had a little of that 'cool guys don't look back at the explosion' deal.
Did you guys see the preview? Don't read the spoilery tag I'm adding if you did not. It doesn't sound like it, because.....Ford is showing the dead body to Charlotte. Who is the one trying to kick Ford out. Wouldn't he want Charlotte fooled into thinking Theresa was still around. Or is Ford simultaneously threatening Charlotte and concocting a plan with her?

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 10:21  Blue 

Quite the episode...

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 10:11 nin

Quite the episode...

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2016, 10:10 SpectralMeat

Oh yes Westworld is really really good.
I am enjoying it very much. Best TV show in my book since Stranger Things.
There aren't a lot of crappy movies/tv shows that Anthony Hopkins plays in.

I haven't seen last night's episode so please don't spoil it for me.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2016, 10:17.

Steam: SpectralMeat

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo