Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Tyranny Released

Paradox Interactive announces the release of Tyranny, the new Windows, OS X, and Linux RPG from Obsidian Entertainment. They offer the game through this page, though sales are fulfilled though Steam. That page also offers a brand new launch trailer with a look at gameplay. Here's part of the announcement:
Paradox Interactive today released Tyranny, a brand-new role-playing game (RPG) from Obsidian Entertainment, for Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs. Tyranny, designed and developed by the award-winning studio behind both modern and classic RPG hits including Pillars of Eternity, Fallout: New Vegas, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, is now available via digital retail outlets worldwide. The game places players within a world where a brutal clash between good and evil has taken place – and evil has emerged triumphant. Players will take on the role of a high-ranking officer in the armies of Kyros the Overlord, make world-altering, morally difficult decisions that guide the fate of thousands, and find their place in a new world order.

See the new regime under Kyros in a new trailer for Tyranny:

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 12, 2016, 08:25 Spektr

El Pit wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 00:34:
Wow! That was quick. So soon after the election, we already get a game based on the coming presidency?

/checks trailer

Sorry, my bad.

nin, any words on the game? Is it worth the money? Thanks for your info, MoreLuckThanSkill.

Yeah just in time to get people used to it

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 14:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

I played pretty much all night last night, aside from breaks to eat and go work out.

I'm towards the end of the first area... hrm can't discuss too much without plot spoilers.

Suffice to say, I find the game very enjoyable, with a pretty decent plot, and some decent plot choices to make so far. Graphics are excellent, sound is excellent, what voice acting there is, is very good.

There is a LOT of text, but I enjoy reading it so that's not really a negative for me.

4 Man party (so far?), reasonably good combat, but a similar issue to Pillars of Eternity, where most enemies will immediately target your weakest character(at least on Hard), aka spellcasters. With a 4 person party you are definitely limited in viable party composition, I think. I did most of the first chapter with a tank, two dps, one mage, and started playing with tank, dps, two mages at the end of the first zone. Two mages seems to be a mistake so far, will re-evaluate with higher level mages.

I found my first bug: If you try to swap a shield by putting the new shield directly onto the old shield(as you can do with any weapon), the OLD shield will VANISH from the game. This is repeatable, but avoidable, by just unequipping the old shield first, then putting the new one in the empty slot.

Design decisions for the most part seem to be good. I would have preferred a 6 man party, but oh well.

Slight plot spoiler: I think I may have found the 'good' path towards the end of the first chapter, or at least as good as it gets. Seems like it may cost you a companion though?

TL;DR: It's very good, slight bugs, very interesting, text heavy rpg. Feels like I'll easily get the $45 price worth out of it.

22. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 12:28 Acleacius

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 23:16:
Acleacius wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:52:
Anyone heard if it's actually possible to play good in this game? I still don't know to much about it. Once I heard you play as evil, sort of turned off to it. Wonder if there's a Let's Play youtube of someone trying to play good.

Too early to tell if it ever lets you play outright 'Good' in the game, but there have already been plenty of less murder, more Order type choices. So far I am trying to ride herd on the various psychopathic members of the army, aka prevent them from immediately killing every civilian they encounter(dialogue options) etc. But the companions seem to be definitely more on the evil side of the coin.

It may be that all you can do in the end is try to uphold the Tyrant's Law, fair but harsh justice, etc. Penalty for most crimes seems to be death or slavery.
Thanks, I've read a bit and found that it is possible. I didn't want to read too far into it for fear of spoilers. Good to know, I really like their games and will get around to it, in the coming months. Besides, waiting will give modders time to make a few adjustments.

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

21. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 11:41 Flo

First hour experience:

• better performance than PoE

• 21:9 support

• interesting start

• lots and lots of text again

• steam saves don't sync cross platform but are compatible
  •  

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

20. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 09:25 RedEye9

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 08:50:
    Wow! That was quick. So soon after the election, we already get a game based on the coming presidency?

/checks trailer

Sorry, my bad.

nin, any words on the game? Is it worth the money? Thanks for your info, MoreLuckThanSkill.

nin has a backlog like a motherfucker, and it's fall release time. And I just got BF1 and Titanfall 2 for $35 each coming in the mail.
    3rd person nin, that's different. I hope nin does not get carpal tunnel in nin's wrists.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

19. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 08:50 nin

/checks trailer

Sorry, my bad.

nin has a backlog like a motherfucker, and it's fall release time. And I just got BF1 and Titanfall 2 for $35 each coming in the mail.

18. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 08:11 Task

Shadowrun games are short, but good. With this game it seems like it is built for replays, trying new builds and story paths, which is what the Devs stated they hope players do.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
    Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

17. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 07:55 Redmask

This game is 'short' but it's a reasonable length without padding and has a fair amount of replay value. The average RPG is only about 30 hours of story content if you remove all of the travel time and padding anyway.  

16. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 05:41 yuastnav

Will probably play it once I get to play on my gaming machine again. Need to finish Shadow Warrior 2 first and also play Dishonoured 2.

I like Obsidian games.

15. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 05:36 Jerykk

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 03:29:
    Read one review so far, well skimmed over it since it was damn spoilerish. Seems like this could be one of the better games Obsidian has done. One big negative is apparently the game length, it's about 25 hours from start to finish with all the side quests, which seems rather short for a cRPG, could they be holding back on content for DLC, expansions and the like?

I'm fine with 25 hours if it doesn't have any filler. The Shadowrun games were around that length too and they were great (well, Dragonfall and Hong Kong, at least).

14. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 03:29 VaranDragon

Read one review so far, well skimmed over it since it was damn spoilerish. Seems like this could be one of the better games Obsidian has done. One big negative is apparently the game length, it's about 25 hours from start to finish with all the side quests, which seems rather short for a cRPG, could they be holding back on content for DLC, expansions and the like?  

13. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 00:47 bigspender

/checks trailer

Sorry, my bad.

hahah classic

12. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 11, 2016, 00:34 El Pit

/checks trailer

Sorry, my bad.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

11. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 23:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Acleacius wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:52:
    Anyone heard if it's actually possible to play good in this game? I still don't know to much about it. Once I heard you play as evil, sort of turned off to it. Wonder if there's a Let's Play youtube of someone trying to play good.

Too early to tell if it ever lets you play outright 'Good' in the game, but there have already been plenty of less murder, more Order type choices. So far I am trying to ride herd on the various psychopathic members of the army, aka prevent them from immediately killing every civilian they encounter(dialogue options) etc. But the companions seem to be definitely more on the evil side of the coin.

It may be that all you can do in the end is try to uphold the Tyrant's Law, fair but harsh justice, etc. Penalty for most crimes seems to be death or slavery.

10. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 23:08 MeanJim

Retired wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:09:
    Did I miss something somewhere? Game seems over priced....

A $45 a new release is overpriced? There are deals out there though. It was 20% off at WinGameStore last night (Steam key). I was torn between getting it from them or DRM Free on GOG. I've been trying to ween myself from using Steam so much outside of cheap sales and bundles, but I couldn't make up my mind if it was worth $9 extra for GOG's DRM Free version (technically it's DRM free on Steam too). I wasn't interested in the pre-order crap because it seemed a bit cheaty to me. The WinGameStore page was showing 12 days left on the sale price, so I decided to sleep on it and pick it up this afternoon after I made up my mind. I had finally decided to get it from WinGameStore, but when I go to buy it, it's now 15% off and the counter shows 20 days left. That's still cheaper than GOG, but it kind of pisses me off that they changed it, so I'm now thinking of going with GOG even if it is more. I was hoping to play it tonight, but now I'm still trying to make up my mind on where to buy it from.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 22:52 Acleacius

Thanks

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
    and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 22:48 SlimRam

I always seriously see this title as 'Tranny'. I'm guessing mild dyslexia should be added to my laundry list of ailments both physically and more pronounced: mentally  

7. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 22:37 yonder

Retired wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:09:
    How does 45 bucks for the generic edition, 60 for the edition with soundtrack and map and avatars and lil thingies, and 80 bucks for the version with all the bells and whistles including a "Digital Collector's Guide" seem overpriced?

45 bucks for the game. An extra 15 for some junk. 20 more for some other junk.

Seems pretty standard/decent.

6. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 22:09 Retired

5. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 21:45 zer0nin

Saboth wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 20:25:
    I thought Tyranny was released on Tuesday.

Zing!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >