Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

So amid all the hubbub of this week we hit a milestone here, as Steve wrote in pointing out he wasn't too far off from being our billionth visitor. There's still a counter here, but it is semi-hidden at the bottom of the front page, so it required a little detective work to notice this. This is a reminder of the tremendous support you all have shown here over the years, and I cannot express enough appreciation.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bob The Robber 3.
Alien Complex.
Science: Paralyzed monkeys walk again with wireless 'brain-spine interface'.
The tragic reason seabirds keep mistaking ocean plastic for food.
Image: This clever Ant-Man cosplay is a real team effort.
Media: Adobe Voco - awesome tech or awful pandora's box?
Feast - Animated Short About Winston The Dog.
Mann verstopft Auspuff. Thanks Boing Boing.
View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 12, 2016, 17:28 bigspender

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 12, 2016, 11:40:
bigspender wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 20:14:
Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 17:06:
Dacote wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:58:
bigspender wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:32:
It's pretty disgusting really. Surely we have enough people in jail that are owe something to society? The people who didn't have a problem with taking someone elses human rights way.
You're joking right? If not, then that wins fucked up idea of the day. http://www.innocenceproject.org/

It's insane as you go through those cases and see how the cops and prosecutors outright lied and forced other people to lie and hide evidence. Those fuckers should all have to go to prison for the same amount of time for the hell they put those people through. Yet, nothing ever happens to them, they don't even lose their jobs, pensions, etc. I would hope they're at least criminally liable in a civil suit.

No, I'm not joking.

Consider the following example (has happened several times in my city):

Your child is "sucker punched" in the back of the head. He is knocked unconscious, falls, and hit's his head on concrete. He is now brain damaged or paralyzed, and for the rest of his life he will need a full time carer to perform his most basic needs for him such as going to the toilet, eating and getting dressed.

We have video footage from multiple sources of an unprovoked attack on your son, and the attacker is identified with 100% certainty.

We can quite easily workout what value has been taken from your son's life. The attacker made a choice to rob your son of financial, emotional, and physical value. We can say that the attacker is now in debt to your son of these values.

The current justice system is punishment based. However no amount of jail time for the attacker will repay this debt to your son.

So I think the justice system should be value based. The attacker should repay the lost value as much as possible - in this extreme case, it means the attacker will be used to find a cure for paralysis. This would go some way to returning the lost values from your son's life, but also it would benefit many other people suffering from similar disabilities - perhaps actually restoring exponentially more value than was taken.

What would the value based justice system bring us?
1. Similar to our current justice system it would dissuade the criminal in the first place - people would know that by taking away other peoples values, they automatically forfeit those values from their own life.
2. Unlike the current justice system, this would go to some way of restoring the values taken from the victims.
3. Encourages empathetic behavior and makes people aware of what values life has - as whatever you decide is good enough for others, must be good enough for you. But unlike the eye-for-an-eye principle, instead of making more people blind, vision would be returned to the person who did not deserve for it to be taken.
4. In a weird way it might stop police shooting first and asking questions later, if they know that capturing a suspect could result in adding value back to society. Instead of having the mentality of "let's teach this guy a lesson".

Yes there are many cases that aren't clear cut, or there isn't enough evidence - of course these people wouldn't be used for such a thing - these would be dealt with how they are now. For this value return system we'd need a 100% degree of certainty. And with video footage being recorded everywhere by multiple sources there are many cases where this would apply. And some good would come out of a bad situation.

And of course there are situations that aren't as drastic as this, so not everyone would be immediately used for vivisection, and it wouldn't be used for accidental crimes, only for truly malicious ones. E.g. someone might spike your sister's drink - and if caught with sufficient evidence, then it means they've volunteered drug testing. It's really just an extension of having your property returned to you if you've been robbed.

Since I'm talking about value - those monkeys owe nothing to anyone. They haven't taken anything from anyone, so why are they paying? They just have the misfortune of being born to a parent that was artificially inseminated in a lab.

You're deranged.

Why?

47. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 12, 2016, 11:40 Wowbagger_TIP

bigspender wrote on Nov 11, 2016, 20:14:
It's pretty disgusting really. Surely we have enough people in jail that are owe something to society? The people who didn't have a problem with taking someone elses human rights way.
You're joking right? If not, then that wins fucked up idea of the day. http://www.innocenceproject.org/

It's insane as you go through those cases and see how the cops and prosecutors outright lied and forced other people to lie and hide evidence. Those fuckers should all have to go to prison for the same amount of time for the hell they put those people through. Yet, nothing ever happens to them, they don't even lose their jobs, pensions, etc. I would hope they're at least criminally liable in a civil suit.

No, I'm not joking.

Your child is "sucker punched" in the back of the head. He is knocked unconscious, falls, and hit's his head on concrete. He is now brain damaged or paralyzed, and for the rest of his life he will need a full time carer to perform his most basic needs for him such as going to the toilet, eating and getting dressed.

We have video footage from multiple sources of an unprovoked attack on your son, and the attacker is identified with 100% certainty.

We can quite easily workout what value has been taken from your son's life. The attacker made a choice to rob your son of financial, emotional, and physical value. We can say that the attacker is now in debt to your son of these values.

The current justice system is punishment based. However no amount of jail time for the attacker will repay this debt to your son.

So I think the justice system should be value based. The attacker should repay the lost value as much as possible - in this extreme case, it means the attacker will be used to find a cure for paralysis. This would go some way to returning the lost values from your son's life, but also it would benefit many other people suffering from similar disabilities - perhaps actually restoring exponentially more value than was taken.

1. Similar to our current justice system it would dissuade the criminal in the first place - people would know that by taking away other peoples values, they automatically forfeit those values from their own life.
2. Unlike the current justice system, this would go to some way of restoring the values taken from the victims.
3. Encourages empathetic behavior and makes people aware of what values life has - as whatever you decide is good enough for others, must be good enough for you. But unlike the eye-for-an-eye principle, instead of making more people blind, vision would be returned to the person who did not deserve for it to be taken.
4. In a weird way it might stop police shooting first and asking questions later, if they know that capturing a suspect could result in adding value back to society. Instead of having the mentality of "let's teach this guy a lesson".

Yes there are many cases that aren't clear cut, or there isn't enough evidence - of course these people wouldn't be used for such a thing - these would be dealt with how they are now. For this value return system we'd need a 100% degree of certainty. And with video footage being recorded everywhere by multiple sources there are many cases where this would apply. And some good would come out of a bad situation.

And of course there are situations that aren't as drastic as this, so not everyone would be immediately used for vivisection, and it wouldn't be used for accidental crimes, only for truly malicious ones. E.g. someone might spike your sister's drink - and if caught with sufficient evidence, then it means they've volunteered drug testing. It's really just an extension of having your property returned to you if you've been robbed.

Since I'm talking about value - those monkeys owe nothing to anyone. They haven't taken anything from anyone, so why are they paying? They just have the misfortune of being born to a parent that was artificially inseminated in a lab.

You're deranged.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2016, 20:14 bigspender

No, I'm not joking.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2016, 20:23.

45. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 11, 2016, 14:27 Wowbagger_TIP

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:55:
Retired wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:41:
Markets at record high! hahahahah
It's not all roses, gambling is still gambling. Watch "The Big Short"
http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/YHOO?ltr=1

I take issue with your statement and here's why. There is a huge difference between gambling and investing. One uses random chance; the other relies on analytical stats.

There's always random chance involved. They may limit it more, but there's also a huge difference between the markets and typical games of chance. With the games, all the variables are known, and you can generally establish your odds of winning.

With the markets and the kinds of complex securities that they invest in, they often don't know all the variables. They don't know all the inter-connections or interactions that could affect their worth. How do you regulate something you don't understand? If you can't warn investors because you can't determine the actual risk, we have a problem.

So, sure, they try to control the variables as much as possible, but they also keep pushing the envelope with ever more complex types of investment. They are very much gambling. They don't know all the variables, so they can't calculate accurate odds.

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:29:
Gambling, in all its forms, relies solely on random outcomes.
This is absolutely false. Gambling isn't solely reliant on randomness. Many games have a skill element, yet are still considered gambling because there is also a very significant random element. Poker would be a good example.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2016, 00:34 Hoop

Congrats Blue, you are a true gentleman & yes you are a little younger than me but shit at least we got brought up in the early days of gaming.
I have to admit to back then wondering if wow imagine games coming so close to movie production.
Well guess what they have, & also guess what? they are shit.
Just like your nations choice of president.
Well I really don't know what to say other than yes the olden day's were better & yes congrats to you & good luck with the car replacement search.

Um .. Behind you...

43. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2016, 00:30 El Pit

Blue, please don't let being a billionaire now change you. Please, please, please. If you suddenly feel an urge to get orange hair implants, then please do NOT run for president (especially not for el presidente for lifetime), but go and see a competent psychiatrist.  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 22:29 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:55:

I take issue with your statement and here's why. There is a huge difference between gambling and investing. One uses random chance; the other relies on analytical stats.

There is a reason publically traded companies are required by SEC laws to work within a legal framework and to report their numbers every quarter. These laws primarily protect investors. The information provided is made public, and the results of the company's actions are seen in the stock's performance hourly, daily, weekly and yearly. All of this happens because of a massive network of analytical data. Empirical evidence helps you, and I make wise decisions for our short-term and long-term investment dollars.

Gambling, in all its forms, relies solely on random outcomes. There is a reason why gambling charts do not exist. It would be tough to predict an outcome based on an RNG system. Moreover, while "odds" provide some form of analytical evidence they can never be as good as traditional, non-gambling based investing.

Lastly, I will make this one point. I have yet to meet one person who has said, "I gambled my way to retirement." I have, however, met plenty of individuals who retired because of wise investing.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 22:05 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 20:00:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:37:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 18:27:
nin wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:29:
I can't wait for blizzard to stomp them out again.
Stomp, bankrupt, etc.
Lawyers love shit like this, easy money.

Well, considering Blizzard Legal is part of Blizzard, those lawyers would actually be doing the job they are paid to do. But don't let facts like that get in the way of your cliched viewpoints.
I somehow doubt Blizzard Legal will be covering Nostalrius and Elysium legal fees, hows that for cliched. Or are facts like this a little too hard for you to fathom.

The words you use and how you use them are critical. Case in point, your use of "easy money." You have to know that attaching those two words to lawyers elicits several interpretations. For me "easy money" implied Blizzard would not use their legal department and instead hire a legal team specifically to go after the Nost and Elysium folks. This team would determine the case to be open-and-shut leading to minimal effort for the firm's standard legal fees. Thus, the response I gave.

However, you interpret "easy money" to mean Blizzard is going to make money, or rather recoup their legal costs, from a small group of people who ran a non-profit server. I find it hard to understand how this is "easy money". From a financial decision, it seems like it would cost Blizzard more, especially when you consider they embraced legacy/vanilla through dialog with Mark Kern and the Nost team in separate meetings.

Since we both had different interpretations of what "easy money" meant, I do find it interesting that we chose to use the words facts in our replies. A fascinating study in conversation.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 21:53 BobBob

Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 21:33:
A BEEEEELION!! 'Grats Blue!

No like or thumbs up feature here, so quoting Creston to share the same sentiment. Thumbsup

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 21:40 Creston

BobBob wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 17:05:
Oh hell, yah!!!

I love my state!

When Texas does this, everyone is all like "Man, those fucking dumbass Texans, fuck Texas, who the fuck does Texas think it is, fuck Texas, let's nuke it, fuck Texas!"

And now California is doing something somewhat similar, I bet everyone is lining up and cheering.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 21:33 Creston

A BEEEEELION!! 'Grats Blue!

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 20:00 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 19:44:
Stomp, bankrupt, etc.

Well, considering Blizzard Legal is part of Blizzard, those lawyers would actually be doing the job they are paid to do. But don't let facts like that get in the way of your cliched viewpoints.
I somehow doubt Blizzard Legal will be covering Nostalrius and Elysium legal fees, hows that for cliched. Or are facts like this a little too hard for you to fathom.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:55 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:45 Kxmode

OMG! I know right?! I'm looking at my accounts and grinning.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:44 Kxmode

Stomp, bankrupt, etc.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:41 Retired

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:38 Kxmode

Redmask wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 18:54:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 15:27:
Even though Blizzard was mute on legacy servers; it is going to happen anyhow! Nostalrius and Elysium have pledged to ignore any legal shutdown requests from Blizzard. The host likely will too.

You are incredibly naive if you think people are going to ignore the lawyers and risk their livelihood because you can't let get go of nostalgia.

Those are Elysium and Nost's assurances. That's their response to Blizz for treating the Nost team with complete disrespect for all the stuff they did, including Battle.net Vanilla integration... basically for free. They were willing to do all the work so that no Legion devs would be taken off the Retail game. Blizzard ignored their efforts and offers.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:37 RedEye9

Stomp, bankrupt, etc.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 19:34 Kxmode

Stomp, bankrupt, etc.

That's cute.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2016, 18:54 TangledThorns

BobBob wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 17:05:
Oh hell, yah!!!

I love my state!

wellbye.jpg

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >