Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Congrats to the world series winners and their fans. I'm sure it's an amazing experience following such a long drought, so enjoy the ride. You may notice I'm taking advantage of the similarities between the teams to offer generic good will. I am recalling that I've managed to spoil the outcomes of some major sporting events in the past. so I'm avoiding that here. I'm not sure how one can avoid hearing about the outcome somewhere, but it's easy enough to not be the culprit here. Anyway, I heard an analyst call last night the greatest night in the history of the game. I can't say if that's the case, but to borrow the term from the Mets, it was pretty amazing.

Amazing Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Russian Extreme Offroad.
Treasure Hunter.
Stories: ‘Dreams come true’: Redacted reacts to redacted winning World Series.
The Vanished Children of ‘Runaway Train.’ Thanks nin via Digg.
Russian President Vladimir Putin Grants Steven Seagal Citizenship. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: Curiosity Rover Finds and Examines a Meteorite on Mars. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Here's What Redacted Sounded Like After the Redacteds Won the World Series. Thanks nin.
Crocodile Attacks Couple in Private Swimming Pool. Thanks nin.
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2016, 10:16 RedEye9

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 21:51:
Cutter wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 19:18:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 16:37:
I think Baseball is one of the most boring sports out there (least State side), and couldn't really give a shit less about baseball besides the Cubs making it to game 7. But last night was an amazing game. Even if you aren't a fan it's worth watching. As Blue said, amazing.

*wonders if he should start calling out Football teams during Baseball season and maybe they'll win a Super Bowl*

It is boring, just ask Honer Simpson. I went and watched 5 minutes of it after you pestering me to do so and it was painful, yes literally painful, to watch.

I didn't pester you. I happen to see you on Steam playing Civ 5 or Civ 8 or Civ 12 (fuck if I can remember how many versions they have now). Then again you have questionable taste in music, and think pig back is a form of bacon! (Although your taste in B movies is awesome).
This is not GRINDR, get a room.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 21:51 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 19:18:
I think Baseball is one of the most boring sports out there (least State side), and couldn't really give a shit less about baseball besides the Cubs making it to game 7. But last night was an amazing game. Even if you aren't a fan it's worth watching. As Blue said, amazing.

*wonders if he should start calling out Football teams during Baseball season and maybe they'll win a Super Bowl*

It is boring, just ask Honer Simpson. I went and watched 5 minutes of it after you pestering me to do so and it was painful, yes literally painful, to watch.

I didn't pester you. I happen to see you on Steam playing Civ 5 or Civ 8 or Civ 12 (fuck if I can remember how many versions they have now). Then again you have questionable taste in music, and think pig back is a form of bacon! (Although your taste in B movies is awesome).

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 19:18 Cutter

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 18:22 nin

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 16:46:
nin wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 15:46:
Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 15:40:
nin wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 10:57:
I'm not even a huge sports fan, but I'm kind of hoping they put out a box set of the series as they've done in the past. Quite the nailbiter...

It's already an Amazon best-seller

I'm thinking it might be this one, since it's 8 discs? But there's no real description yet...

Right in time for xmas, I see...

There are always like three or four different ones. Some include the ALCS/NLCS games of the champion as well. I think the one I linked is literally just the 7 games of the World Series and nothing else.

I have two sets from the Cardinals' last two championships, and it's a few games of the NLCS and then all the WS games and the celebration afterward. I think they were $29 or so on release.

I'd be happy with just the 7 game series.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 17:56 eDave

Baseball is an intelligent man's sport. Not boring at all.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 16:46 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 15:46:
I'm not even a huge sports fan, but I'm kind of hoping they put out a box set of the series as they've done in the past. Quite the nailbiter...

I'm thinking it might be this one, since it's 8 discs? But there's no real description yet...

There are always like three or four different ones. Some include the ALCS/NLCS games of the champion as well. I think the one I linked is literally just the 7 games of the World Series and nothing else.

I have two sets from the Cardinals' last two championships, and it's a few games of the NLCS and then all the WS games and the celebration afterward. I think they were $29 or so on release.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 16:37 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 15:46 nin

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 15:40 Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 15:19 jdreyer

Crocodile Attacks Couple in Private Swimming Pool.

Aw, it was just a wittle baby crocodile!

Given the state of repair of the pool, I'm not surprised the croc thought it was just another watering hole.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 15:13 jdreyer

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 13:53:
People still watch baseball?

I read a stat somewhere that 75% of the viewers are 55 and older.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 14:08 Mr. Tact

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 13:53:
Even as someone who has sworn off baseball since the 1994 strike, I watched this... headed home at the rain delay from the bar I was at. Caught the finish at home. Congrats to all you Cub fans.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 13:53 TangledThorns

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 11:33 nin

Nimh wrote on Nov 3, 2016, 11:23:
I went to bed at the rain delay so I missed the 10th inning. I was not expecting the headlines this morning at all, in fact I was 90% sure that they were going to blow it in grand *redacted* fashion.

I had the same problem. It was after 11, and figured my luck would be the rain delay would be an hour or more before they started playing again. I must have just missed them resuming.

Checked my phone at my 4am pee break and was happily surprised...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 11:23 Nimh

Congrats *redacted*!

My father has been a fan for 75 years. He grew up in the mid-west and baseball is huge for him. His comment from our email this morning was "Feeling of awe.. may take me a while to adjust".

I went to bed at the rain delay so I missed the 10th inning. I was not expecting the headlines this morning at all, in fact I was 90% sure that they were going to blow it in grand *redacted* fashion.

Everyone has a heart, and it’s calling for something. And we’re all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are. ~Nick Cave

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 11:17 Killer Kane

C*U*B*S!  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 11:12 Cutter

Wow, 108 years? That's crazy talk. Makes you wonder how that's even statistically possible. Makes the Leafs 50 years without a Stanley Cup seem pretty short.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2016, 10:57 nin

It's kinda been a rough year, and it's really cool to see so many people that were excited and cheering about last night.

Congrats to both teams - that last game in particular was a hell of a show.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >