Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Origin Bans Myanmar

A post on reddit has a cautionary tale of buying games through online services, as a resident of Myanmar says he and everyone else in the country is now being denied access to games they purchased through EA's Origin service. They point to this post and this post with details on the problem, though they note the answers provided are not officially from EA. The explanation is that this is to comply with U.S. sanctions against the country formerly known as Burma. The thing is, these sanctions were officially lifted by the US Treasury Department three weeks ago, though the original exchanges are from before then. It doesn't look like EA has officially responded to this anywhere.
View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 31, 2016, 10:47 TheVocalMinority

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 15:48:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 15:45:
This kind of shit won't encourage piracy at all. No siree.

Heaven forbid people living in poor repressed regimes have a little escapism.

Well this wouldn't be happening if the average gamer wasn't so fucking retarded, we have DRM out the wazoo because the vast majority of game buyers are dumb as a bag of hammers. MMO's were the beginning of the end of game ownership sadly, the dumb half of humanity that pumped money into them paved the way for the normalisation of server locked games. Ultima online, EQ paved the way for steam, which paved the way for further encroachment on our rights.

Like virtue, stupidity is it's own reward.

"How easily we let ourselves be taken in by partisan labels" - Solzhenitsyn
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 31, 2016, 10:40 Kxmode

Business as usual. Nothing to see here.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

23. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 31, 2016, 09:48 Task

This is why I've never really been a fan of so called 'sanctions.' In this case, the news topic is someone being prevented to play what they purchase, although not life-threatening. In most other cases I have read over the years, they most often hurt ordinary people (and it's why people refer to it as 'economic terrorism'). It also causes feedback in the world economy. Every since 1997 every sitting U.S. President declared Myanmar sanctions remain in place because Myanmar is a "threat" to U.S. security (yeah, right). This article covers why (with a couple countries as examples) U.S. and E.U. "sanctions" are:

“some of the most complicated and far-reaching sanctions regimes ever imposed.” Detailing a complex system of “unpredictable and time-consuming” financial restrictions and licensing requirements, the report finds that U.S. sanctions are exceptionally harsh “regarding provision of humanitarian aid.”

Saboth wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 20:54:
Things won't improve until people stop focusing on the scary "terrorism" and "foreign policy".

The other things you mentioned are certainly important, but Foreign Policy, or at least the U.S. brand of Imperialistic Foreign Policy creates Blowback, among other things. Inevitably it is intertwined with the other issues - the massive debt for instance from (illegal) war trickles down and causes the civilian population to suffer and diverts stimulus away from the 'real [civilian] economy.' "The Great Illusion" is a good thesis to read on the subject, which simply concludes, "Modern nations can’t enrich themselves by waging war."

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

22. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 31, 2016, 09:45 Cutter

Yes, but why didn't Uplay or Steam cut them off? That's why this smells of bullshit.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

21. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 31, 2016, 01:46 eRe4s3r

jamiedj99 wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 22:12:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37365835 you guys no there is no longer an embargo on this country its offical lift date was oct 7

Well there can be a lot of bureaucracy involved.

20. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 23:57 NamecaF

Yet another reason owning physical copies are better than digital copies locked to an online service.  

"I hope those bastards get inoperable brain cancer that they have passed on to their children."
-RedEye9

19. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 22:12 jamiedj99

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37365835 you guys no there is no longer an embargo on this country its offical lift date was oct 7  

18. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 20:54 Saboth

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 18:55:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 14:00:
If you live in Myanmar you have bigger problems to worry about than video games.

Considering our current racial tensions, rampant inner city crime and poverty, stagnant wages, sky-rocketing health care costs, mass shootings out the ass, and our coming election here in the U.S. where we will end up with a corrupt shyster no matter who wins, it could be argued that we too have bigger things to worry about than videogames. But to me that's all the more reason we need a form of escapism.

Things won't improve until people stop focusing on the scary "terrorism" and "foreign policy". It's like half of the nation's concern is about what we are doing in countries like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. Meanwhile, our healthcare system blows, the middle class is dying off, our infrastructure is crumbling, and we are spending hundreds of billions overseas on security theater nonsense to keep defense contractors happy, and to prop up the pretense we need a gargantuan military. Once our government started working for corporate interests and lobbyists instead of the American citizens, that was the day the country started going downhill. And instead of fixing it, we stick little band-aids on it, because we don't want to piss off the lobbyists and donors. Our lagging broadband system, lack of competition, flailing healthcare and everything else could be fixed, but we don't want to piss off billionaires and corporate interests.

17. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 18:55 Prez

If you live in Myanmar you have bigger problems to worry about than video games.

Considering our current racial tensions, rampant inner city crime and poverty, stagnant wages, sky-rocketing health care costs, mass shootings out the ass, and our coming election here in the U.S. where we will end up with a corrupt shyster no matter who wins, it could be argued that we too have bigger things to worry about than videogames. But to me that's all the more reason we need a form of escapism.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 17:29 KilrathiAce

I think he meant if you in a country that has been banned by a service and you have done nothing to violate rules then you may have a case for refund.

And yes, this only makes piracy stronger, especially against EA games.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

15. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 16:45 NKD

Saboth wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 16:15:
The process should be: if a service bans me from the games I have legally purchased, I am due a refund of the purchase price of every game.

So every so often, when you're bored of your current batch of games, just get yourself banned to get all your money back, and then make a new account and buy different games?

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

14. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 16:15 Saboth

The process should be: if a service bans me from the games I have legally purchased, I am due a refund of the purchase price of every game.  

13. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 15:48 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 15:45:

Well this wouldn't be happening if the average gamer wasn't so fucking retarded, we have DRM out the wazoo because the vast majority of game buyers are dumb as a bag of hammers. MMO's were the beginning of the end of game ownership sadly, the dumb half of humanity that pumped money into them paved the way for the normalisation of server locked games. Ultima online, EQ paved the way for steam, which paved the way for further encroachment on our rights.

12. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 15:45 jdreyer

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

11. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 15:36 Suppa7

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 14:03:
Suppa7 wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 13:47:
The person who complained is not a native of myanmar. AKA people who travelled to myanmar can't play their EA games.

Not sure where you are getting that from, and those links to EA's help site have posts from Myanmar citizens who have also lost access to Origin.

It's in the post in the Reddit link, here's a quote:

"I live in Myanmar, but I am not from Myanmar."

10. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 15:21 RedEye9

Unknown Soldier wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 15:17:

How does that in any way matter while discussing the issue at hand? These people have had something they paid for taken from them with no recourse.

They got bigger problems than video games. It used to be instead of games disappearing, humans disappeared.
http://www.newsweek.com/exploring-myanmar-emerging-decades-repression-514890

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

9. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 15:19 Dacote

EA stole my lunch money.

8. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 15:17 Unknown Soldier

How does that in any way matter while discussing the issue at hand? These people have had something they paid for taken from them with no recourse.

7. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 15:11 Cutter

EA is a multinational so if the traffic isn't coming into the US - and lord knows why it would from the other side of the planet - than this is just so much bullshit. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see EA tell them they're required to buy the games again.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

6. Re: Origin Bans Myanmar Oct 30, 2016, 14:59 Dirty Butler

EA banned my account due to a charge back even though I didn't even have a credit card on the account. This sounds about right for EA's horrible customer service.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >