Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Well, we've had more than our share of excitement here this morning, as MrsBlue ended up in a car accident. She's a little shaken up, but otherwise fine, as is the other driver. That's more than we can say for our car, which is in pretty rough shape. It's now sitting in the auto shop awaiting its fate. I would be surprised if it's not a total loss, as the front wheel and transaxle were hit pretty hard, so the engine at least took a jolt. There's significant body damage, and it looks like every airbag fired off. As I say, she's fine, which is the important thing, and as for lower priority issues, it looks like our insurance should take care of everything. So all-in-all, a stressful incident, but just about every aspect of it could have been far worse, so we're counting our blessings.

Crashed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Story: Germany announces ‘zero tolerance’ policy against creepy clowns ahead of Halloween.
Science: Butt shot shows promise as male birth control—but many side effects, too.
Common swifts airborne life- Eat, sleep, and mate without touching Earth.
Media: StarCrafts Season 5 Ep 10 Halloween Special 2016.
Welding in Space.
Street Dancers in Paris: Best Moonwalk Ever.
Guy dresses up as dog's favorite toy.
Follow-up: NASA Finally Has All The Data From New Horizons Pluto Flyby In 2015. Data overage.
View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2016, 08:49 Mr. Tact

Ahh, well that would explain it. Here in the US we have "horror houses" that pop during the season with the whole idea being you walk though the establishment to get scared. It is just part of the occasion...  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Terror clowns Oct 31, 2016, 01:51 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 20:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 12:14:
But also I have no idea why some people think scaring other people is "fun" ... especially with real weapons, where people might quickly get the totally wrong idea and assume you are a robber or.. worse.
Okay, with real weapons is crazy and dangerous. But just scaring people? That's part of the tradition, isn't it? Whatever. I don't really care, just thought your comment was a bit odd.

Here in the part of Germany I live in there is no Halloween "tradition" so maybe that is why... also I dunno if you even realize this, but Halloween isn't even accepted as a thing where I live. Sure sweets ARE a thing, but scaring others has never been part of it, and decorations etc. are all not a thing here either. Children dress up, sure, but maybe 20% are actual "scary" costumes... the rest just use their Carnival dresses which is the custome thing in Germany that IS accepted, and has absolutely nothing to do with scaring people.

Anyway I was just passing the 8 hour EA server downtime and this topic was as good as any. ^^

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 22:56 RedEye9

Aw crap, WestWorld just got real.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

34. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 20:49 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 12:14:
But also I have no idea why some people think scaring other people is "fun" ... especially with real weapons, where people might quickly get the totally wrong idea and assume you are a robber or.. worse.
Okay, with real weapons is crazy and dangerous. But just scaring people? That's part of the tradition, isn't it? Whatever. I don't really care, just thought your comment was a bit odd.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 15:16 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 12:59:
Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 12:33:
It's trick OR treat. I guess you missed the first part. I have no doubt some jerks are taking it too far or doing inappropriate things. Hi and welcome to Life where that's the norm. Yet, we also know we happen to be - unfortunately - in the middle of another idiotic politically correct resurgence where overreacting is the norm. I know, let's just ban Halloween. Better still, let's ban all entertainment media. May as well ban bright colours while we're at it too. Boy they can sure excite people. Yes, let's just all walk around dressed in grey in a grey world where nothing out of the ordinary ever happens. That sounds awesome doesn't it?

Are you intentionally not reading the news or something?

People dressed as creepy clowns and ATTACKED PEOPLE WITH REAL WEAPONS TO SCARE THEM

Didn't I just say there are always some jerks that go to far? So every time some asshole does something wrong we should all overreact. That's what you're saying we should do.

That is "inappropriate" to you?

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 12:59 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 12:33:
It's trick OR treat. I guess you missed the first part. I have no doubt some jerks are taking it too far or doing inappropriate things. Hi and welcome to Life where that's the norm. Yet, we also know we happen to be - unfortunately - in the middle of another idiotic politically correct resurgence where overreacting is the norm. I know, let's just ban Halloween. Better still, let's ban all entertainment media. May as well ban bright colours while we're at it too. Boy they can sure excite people. Yes, let's just all walk around dressed in grey in a grey world where nothing out of the ordinary ever happens. That sounds awesome doesn't it?

Are you intentionally not reading the news or something?

People dressed as creepy clowns and ATTACKED PEOPLE WITH REAL WEAPONS TO SCARE THEM

That is "inappropriate" to you?

31. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 12:57 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 12:54:
where people might quickly get the totally wrong idea and assume you are a robber or.. worse.
A robber baron, yikes.

Makes me think of Witcher 3 and how I am still conflicted whether that Baron was truly evil or not

30. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 12:54 RedEye9

where people might quickly get the totally wrong idea and assume you are a robber or.. worse.
A robber baron, yikes.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 12:45 RedEye9

let's just all walk around dressed in grey in a grey world where nothing out of the ordinary ever happens.
Sound like Utopia, sign me up!!!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 12:40 Primalchrome

Glad to hear MrsBlue is OK, Blue. Hopefully a little rest and a massage will take care of the soreness.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 12:33 Cutter

26. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 12:14 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 04:27:

We're just one step away from The Purge.

Thing is that is exactly what some people seem to think Halloween (and the week before it) is about. But also I have no idea why some people think scaring other people is "fun" ... especially with real weapons, where people might quickly get the totally wrong idea and assume you are a robber or.. worse.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 09:12 Redmask

Glad everyone is ok, best of luck Blue.  

24. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 04:27 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 21:19:
Let's talk about that instead.. (Glad your better half is OK blue ,p)

Can someone explain to me what insanity someone has to possess to dress himself up as a "creepy clown" and carry around a chainsaw, and I mean a real, running, chainsaw, or a hammer, a knife, a gun, any other weapons just to "scare" people? You know, to me those are not "creepy" idiots, to me those are criminals. And apparently the German gov agrees with me. So yay!

Do they not realize what this leads to though?

I've had talks with several parents who are quite worried because of this, and debate whether a few sweets are worth to open their children up for such an attack. There's already been 1 idiot here in my town a bit out of Berlin that did this, police came and that's all I heard of that. But seriously, am I supposed to sit with phone and CS gas at my door at Halloween?

Fucking retards doing this and causing fear where there should be fun for children! Just another proof that humanity is fucked. We may be OK for the most part, but there will always be a few total retards fucking everything up. So fuck these terror clowns, and the people who think this is fun.

We're just one step away from The Purge.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 03:48 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:20:
Also Blue, if all the bags went off and it has structural damage, Mrs might "feel" it tomorrow as the adreno wears off. Make sure to get her checked out if she feels crummy. Can have injuries unknown until bigger problems start.

Especially the effects of whiplash and back injuries might take a couple of days to manifest. Get checked out by a Dr. anyway. You'll need them to back up any medical related claims. Neck or back injury recover can take years, and you don't want to have to pay that out of pocket.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2016, 01:52 ViRGE

Oh my. Glad to hear the missus is okay, Blue.  

21. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 01:12 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 00:32:

Can someone explain to me what insanity someone has to possess to dress himself up as a "creepy clown" and carry around a chainsaw, and I mean a real, running, chainsaw, or a hammer, a knife, a gun, any other weapons just to "scare" people? You know, to me those are not "creepy" idiots, to me those are criminals. And apparently the German gov agrees with me. So yay!

I've had talks with several parents who are quite worried because of this, and debate whether a few sweets are worth to open their children up for such an attack. There's already been 1 idiot here in my town a bit out of Berlin that did this, police came and that's all I heard of that. But seriously, am I supposed to sit with phone and CS gas at my door at Halloween?

Fucking retards doing this and causing fear where there should be fun for children! Just another proof that humanity is fucked. We may be OK for the most part, but there will always be a few total retards fucking everything up. So fuck these terror clowns, and the people who think this is fun.

Oh come on. One of the funniest things ever that happened to us when we were trick or treating is one of the older guys in the neighborhood dressed up as Jason and was chasing everyone around with a chainsaw - without the teeth obviously. It was scary as hell for all of 3 seconds and when we realized it was a trick we peed our pants laughing. Way to be a killjoy. Just plant a "Get off my lawn!" sign out front of your house why don't you?

That's cute with no chainsaw teeth, but if you tried this with real weapons and real physical threats nowadays, would you think people would think "nice trick" or would they think "terror attack" because that is the world we live in nowadays.

Also Halloween is for children, not for adults dressing up as creepy clowns harassing everyone on the street at night. People are already on edge enough here, and one idiot who tried this to his friend (with a real weapon) even got stabbed (with a real knife).

So I would think not even the youth of today would take that shit. Not to mention that seriously everyone is armed with at least CS gas due to the refugee thing, which you might have heard about. Can you even imagine what would happen if such a "clown" would walk on a xmas market and threaten visitors? We'd be talking about dead clowns then, which is the only good state a clown can be in, but don't mind me... I hate clowns. I truly detest clowns. ^^ If someone did this with a Jason mask I'd also know they are true movie geeks and would kudos them.. but that is just me I think....

20. Re: Terror clowns Oct 30, 2016, 00:32 Cutter

Oh come on. One of the funniest things ever that happened to us when we were trick or treating is one of the older guys in the neighborhood dressed up as Jason and was chasing everyone around with a chainsaw - without the teeth obviously. It was scary as hell for all of 3 seconds and when we realized it was a trick we peed our pants laughing. Way to be a killjoy. Just plant a "Get off my lawn!" sign out front of your house why don't you?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2016, 21:49 Rigs

Retired wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 14:20:
Also Blue, if all the bags went off and it has structural damage, Mrs might "feel" it tomorrow as the adreno wears off. Make sure to get her checked out if she feels crummy. Can have injuries unknown until bigger problems start.

As everyone else here, I'm glad that your S.O. is ok. Just the fact that it happened is enough to make anyone shaken up, not even mentioning going through the accident itself. I concur with the above, Mrs. Blue is probably going to be a might bit sore tomorrow and may want to get checked out just to be safe and at least take the day off and stay in bed. My Mom was in a very minor accident last year when some old guy (who really shouldn't have been driving at 92 years old!) slammed into the back of her girlfriends 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, shearing the trailer hitch and most of the bumper clean off and putting the guy into the tree line along our yard. They had been backing out of the driveway to go to lunch and had stopped, waiting for the guy to pass and he pretty much zeroed right in on the back of the truck. Between the truck bumper and the trees, there wasn't much left to the front of his newer Toyota sedan. He was fine, however and couldn't understand how he misjudged the very low-speed pass (he had been going like 20mph, we were in a housing development). When his son showed up, irate at him, we found that he'd done this a few times prior just not in such a severe way. (Which prompts anyone to cock their head doggy-style and wonder why he still had a license?!?) Anyway, back to my Mom. They had been wearing seat belts but my Mom had been sitting twisted around to see out the back of the truck to check for traffic when he hit and while she thought she was fine, the next week found her in a considerable amount of back and shoulder pain. She then spent a few months going to doctors and chiropractors for relief. She still has some discomfort and she still kicks herself in the rear for waiting and hurting instead of getting checked out.

Make sure to document everything and maybe write down what happened for future reference as time has a tendency to erase important details! Good luck to you both, I hope things turn out ok!

=-Rigs-=

18. Terror clowns Oct 29, 2016, 21:19 eRe4s3r

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >