Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released

Frontier Developments now offers The Guardians, a new expansion for Elite Dangerous Horizons introducing ship-launched fighters and passenger gameplay to their space combat game. This comes with a version 2.2 patch for Elite Dangerous Horizons and a version 1.7 update for Elite Dangerous, saying these provide quality-of-life upgrades. The Elite Dangerous forums have a complete change log and a new trailer shows things off. Here's word:
The Guardians changes the dynamics of combat, trading and exploration in Elite Dangerous, and unlocks new opportunities for every Commander to enrich their experience in the massively multiplayer galaxy, however they choose to play.

The Guardians offers Commanders the opportunity to install a fighter launch bay in their larger ships and choose from three different fighter craft to gain an edge over their attackers. Commanders can hire NPC (non-player character) crewmates to pilot their ship while flying into combat from the cockpit of their heavily-armed fighter. With a second ship in every fight, now Commanders can take what comes and hit back with double.

Passenger gameplay sees the introduction of individuals and groups of NPCs seeking passage aboard Commandersí ships, unlocking an all-new career path for the Elite Dangerous galaxy. Commanders can pilot the new Beluga passenger vessel or retrofit their existing craft to transport politicians, VIPs and prisoners across the galaxy for legal and illegal ends. Spectacular destinations await galactic tourists and dangerous challenges await undercover operatives on smugglerís runs.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 26, 2016, 16:55 Vall Forran

jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 15:48:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 05:42:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 25, 2016, 21:07:
Woot! I know what I'm doing tonight.
Not having sex, I see.

Hey gotta do something during those long FTL jumps.

Haha! Sadly, I ended up working OT and just watching Luke Cage with the wife, while E:D installed. I'll play tonight for sure. That's cool to hear there are more HMD settings now, can't wait to try it out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 26, 2016, 15:48 jdreyer

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 05:42:
Not having sex, I see.

Hey gotta do something during those long FTL jumps.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 26, 2016, 10:35 Dagnamit

Bundy wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 10:11:
I picked up an Oculus last week and just tried this last night. Not sure I can ever play it on a standard monitor again. It's pretty awesome.

Welcome to awesome land, sir. Great to have you.

An aside to the VIVE users. This new update + SteamVRs version of asynchronous timewarp (which you can get by opting into the beta of SteamVR) offers a significant perceived increase in performance for ED. Still not as good as the Rift, but MUCH MUCH improved.

There's a HMD Quality setting now in ED. Switch that baby to 1.25 and off you go. night and day difference, and this is with a gtx 970. Sure it runs at 45fps and in reprojection mode (only so much a 970 can do), but it feels smoother and the visual fidelity is vastly better. Feels like I got a new video card for ED. pretty awesome stuff.

6. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 26, 2016, 10:11 Bundy

I picked up an Oculus last week and just tried this last night. Not sure I can ever play it on a standard monitor again. It's pretty awesome.  

5. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 26, 2016, 05:42 Pr()ZaC

Not having sex, I see.

4. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 26, 2016, 01:47 jdreyer

Well, now that I'm getting up there in age, maybe riding on a passenger ship is more my speed.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

3. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 25, 2016, 23:32 Vall Forran

The AI is vicious now. I pretty much gave up bounty hunting, unless it's one guy in a smaller ship than I. Sometimes I still flee because a wing will warp in to help.

I've found doing the engineer quests to be more fun. You can go to Unidentified Sig Sources and it shows a threat level when you get close. Threat 0 is just picking up jettisoned cargo which you can use for materials. Threat 1 is usually just one small pirate guy. Killing him also gives you materials. Any higher threats and I avoid.

2. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 25, 2016, 21:34 The Half Elf

I'm trying to get into Elite but end up getting killed trying to go after easy bounties.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

1. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons: The Guardians Released Oct 25, 2016, 21:07 Vall Forran

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >