Battlefield 1 Released

EA and DICE now offers Battlefield 1, which takes the long-running military shooter series into the trenches of World War I. You can keep up with the game on the Battlefield 1 website and you can pick this up through Origin. They celebrate the release with a Press 'X' to Squad Up trailer with special guests from the community taking part in online games. Here's word on the game:
In Battlefield 1, experience the dawn of all-out war on an unmatched epic scale, full of a variety of new gameplay opportunities. DICE set out to build the most immersive and dynamic Battlefield game ever, continuing to improve their multiplayer sandbox experience through ever-changing environments with intuitive destruction and dynamic weather in up to 64-player battles. In Operations, a brand new multiplayer mode, players can fully immerse themselves in a series of interconnected battles, holding the front line across multiple maps. And if the battle is looking lost, call in a Behemoth, the largest fully player-controlled vehicle ever seen in Battlefield or deploy as one of three destructive forces of the Elite Class. In the unique single player campaign, players can immerse themselves in War Stories, played from the perspectives of different protagonists across the globe from the deserts of the Middle East to the skies of the Western Front.

View : : :
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer

Re: Battlefield 1 Released
Oct 21, 2016, 11:22
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 11:22
Oct 21, 2016, 11:22

Second Battlefield game that I don't play/own on Day 1 (next to Hardline).

The beta was pretty fun, but the balance seemed way off (are higher level players still hugely advantaged with kit selection?). It's also hard to justify paying $60+ (and DLC) for essentially re-skinned games year after year.

Maybe once this hits the $30 range, which knowing EA's track record with Battlefront and Hardline, will probably be the case by Christmas.

Oct 21, 2016, 11:31
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 11:31
Oct 21, 2016, 11:31

Oct 21, 2016, 11:39
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 11:39
Oct 21, 2016, 11:39

Just bought the game for $47 from Amazon. (Prime discount on games, hell yeah!)
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Oct 21, 2016, 11:40
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 11:40
Oct 21, 2016, 11:40

Flak wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:22:

The beta was pretty fun, but the balance seemed way off (are higher level players still hugely advantaged with kit selection?). It's also hard to justify paying $60+ (and DLC) for essentially re-skinned games year after year.

Maybe once this hits the $30 range, which knowing EA's track record with Battlefront and Hardline, will probably be the case by Christmas.

This seems a lot more than just a reskinned game.

Oct 21, 2016, 11:53
Quboid

Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 11:53
Oct 21, 2016, 11:53
 Quboid

TotalBiscuit's comments on the single player have put me off, they seem to have completely missed the style of WW1.

Oct 21, 2016, 11:54
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 11:54
Oct 21, 2016, 11:54

Timmeh wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:40:
Flak wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:22:

This seems a lot more than just a reskinned game.

Because the graphics are nicer?

Bad Company 2 had better destruction. No evolution or any kind of advancement on that front aside from 'dynamic weather' (which they've been speaking about since BF3). The weapon/vehicle balancing is way off. Conquest is largely rendered useless based on the game play decisions they decided to go with (at least in beta). Nothing has really been done to further promote squad play.

The only redeeming factor to the game aside from fresh content, is the fact the network optimization isn't complete garbage like it normally is for the first 6 months of any DICE multiplayer game.

I'm sure it'll be a fun title for years to come, but after spending $60+ on every Battlefield game I can ever remember, this one feels largely the same with some 'ohh, that's shiny!' moments.

Reskinned was probably a harsh characterization since DICE actually tried with this title, I just don't see it as a full-priced purchase. My loss I guess.

Oct 21, 2016, 12:03
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 12:03
Oct 21, 2016, 12:03

Quboid wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 11:53:
TotalBiscuit's comments on the single player have put me off, they seem to have completely missed the style of WW1.

Well, its pretty obvious also if you watch some gameplay videos.
Feels more like a mix of WW1 and WW2, leaning stronger to WW2. Fictitious.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Re: Morning Mobilization
Oct 21, 2016, 12:17
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 12:17
Oct 21, 2016, 12:17

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:03:

Note: the Western Front from September 1914 to the start of 1918 was not what the rest of the war looked like. The Battle of the Somme is perhaps the strongest image of WWI which survived to present, but focusing only on the Somme neglects the rest of the war, and creates a skewed image. The Eastern Front, the Italian and Roumanian Fronts, and the Western Front in 1918 can be characterized by mobility, encirclement, infiltration, breakthroughs, and great tactical innovation. Yes, trenches were involved everywhere -- just like trenches are still dug today for prepared defensive positions -- but the classic image of massed infantry charges across no-man's land under withering machine gun, mortar and artillery fire is something that only applies to parts of the war.

Sorry, this is a pet-peeve of mine. If you're interested in a more general vision of the combat experience of WWI, and the tactical lessons the US Army was drawing from them in the 1930s, check out the superb Infantry in Battle.

Oct 21, 2016, 12:21
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 12:21
Oct 21, 2016, 12:21

The Battlefield series has never been realistic. At all.

Once you progress past that mental hurdle, you can have fun in this game.

The single player and multiplayer are mostly bug free, especially compared to BF4's launch. Some people are having fps issues with Win10 and Titans, and some other configs, but I'm betting that's all the Shadowplay/Win 10 Gamestream or whatever it's called recording. I updated the drivers on my GTX 1070 and I'm getting 120+ fps in multiplayer, 144 in single player.

The single player is simply gorgeous, although the enemy AI isn't great, and it seems like it'll be very short. So far I'm through the first two chapters. I think the Harlem Hellfighters got ripped off, that portion should have been far longer, and it would have had the trench battles a lot of people are going to be looking for. Still, DICE seems to have really done their homework about the settings and weapons in the game, although yes, obviously, the experimental weapons laying around and being used were NOT that widespread.

Multiplayer, I've had one terrible game, extremely lopsided numerically and skill wise, but I changed servers and had some pretty good games and two arguably great games, considering it was release day. People were playing as squads, dropping ammo and reviving, playing objectives and worked together to take down the Behemoths in the latter games.

Time to Kill seems acceptable so far, for Scout/Assault/Medic. People playing Support with the LMGs are probably going to be pissed for awhile, they aren't that good(accurracy or damage), based on my limited time with them so far.

The visuals and audio are spectacular. I tried, half seriously, to get everybody to lay down their weapons on one map, so we could just experience the visual splendor of that Swiss coast(Italian Coast?) map with the naval Behemoth.

*Disclaimer* I bought off of GreenManGaming using the discount codes pasted in Bluesnews a couple weeks ago, for $45.39 standard edition.

But, if you haven't liked the Battlefield series in the past 6-10 years you aren't going to like this one much either. The basic gameplay is largely the same.

Unfortunately I have to go to work now, or I'd be tempted to play all day.

Oct 21, 2016, 12:28
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 12:28
Oct 21, 2016, 12:28

I'll pick it up sometime between now and Christmas in hopes that any bugs, balance issues, and early hacks are ironed out although I know hacks never really stop.

Been real hard not wanting to pull the trigger though even with my fuck everything EA stance. Here's to hoping the rest of Deus Ex and another play through in Fallout 4 will keep me busy until Deathwing comes out and here's to double hoping it doesn't suck. Might even pick up The Old Blood to keep my trigger finger happy.

Oct 21, 2016, 12:37
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 12:37
Oct 21, 2016, 12:37

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:17:

Note: the Western Front from September 1914 to the start of 1918 was not what the rest of the war looked like. The Battle of the Somme is perhaps the strongest image of WWI which survived to present, but focusing only on the Somme neglects the rest of the war, and creates a skewed image. The Eastern Front, the Italian and Roumanian Fronts, and the Western Front in 1918 can be characterized by mobility, encirclement, infiltration, breakthroughs, and great tactical innovation. Yes, trenches were involved everywhere -- just like trenches are still dug today for prepared defensive positions -- but the classic image of massed infantry charges across no-man's land under withering machine gun, mortar and artillery fire is something that only applies to parts of the war.

Sorry, this is a pet-peeve of mine. If you're interested in a more general vision of the combat experience of WWI, and the tactical lessons the US Army was drawing from them in the 1930s, check out the superb Infantry in Battle.

Thats not what I mean. I know very well that it wasnt just trench warfare. But getting thrown into the game with everything developed already, not getting shown how much that war changed war, that is just stupid. For example in 1914 planes were barely able to climb without stalling, dogfights were extremely difficult and not many tactics were developed yet. But in this game you get the best planes instantly, tanks are common (which they werent even at the very end, especially on the German side), no special tactics or spectacular operations are shown or used (and there were so many, which, as I said, created completely new warfare). You dont see it. If you dont have a clue about the weapons, it feels like a WW2 game.

Multiplayer also doesnt feel like WW1. The levels arent created well enough to give you that feeling. Again, it feels like WW2.

I mean, I dont know if you do, but I know games like Wings, Red Baron and other WW1 games. They mostly got the feeling of that war very well, but this game feels so generic, without soul. Almost like a SW Battlefront mod.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Oct 21, 2016, 12:40
Cutter

Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 12:40
Oct 21, 2016, 12:40
 Cutter

$80 for the base game. $85 for the season pass. $400 to host a server for a year. Wow, what a bargain! How could anyone possibly pass this up?

Rolleyes
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Oct 21, 2016, 12:47
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 12:47
Oct 21, 2016, 12:47

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:37:
Thats not what I mean. I know very well that it wasnt just trench warfare. But getting thrown into the game with everything developed already, not getting shown how much that war changed war, that is just stupid.

Ah, my mistake. I saw the WWII comment and assumed you meant there wasn't enough trench warfare.

Oct 21, 2016, 12:50
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 12:50
Oct 21, 2016, 12:50

No, if you watch TBs video it leans more towards wolfenstein then WW2. I had high hopes when I saw that video where you kept dieing and respawning as someone else, but seems that was a one shot gimmick on the first level only... it's as shallow as every other EA shooter, looks real purdy though.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Oct 21, 2016, 13:08
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2016, 13:08
Oct 21, 2016, 13:08

So those that have this on Blues, please confirm if they actually worked on joystick compatibility. It was deactivated in beta. They claimed to be "working on it" before release on Twitter.

Oct 21, 2016, 13:10
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 13:10
Oct 21, 2016, 13:10

I played about 2 hours of SP and about 30 minutes of MP. I'm amazed at how good it looks on my shitty hardware. I have a gtx780 running at 1440p and it was very detailed and smooth, pretty much like how Battlefront 2 runs.

The SP gameplay, on the other had, is garbage. There wasn't a single moment where I didn't feel like I was on rails, more or less. You are just guided through scripted shit... if you don't figure it out the first time, you probably will the second.

The other weird thing is that when you die, they show the name of the person that was just killed. I thought that was a great idea until the cutscenes reverted back to the character that died at the start of the scenario. Arma 3, this is not.

MP is better, but I rage quitted after 30 min cause I suck.

Oct 21, 2016, 13:16
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2016, 13:16
Oct 21, 2016, 13:16

If you're raging, I'd suggest playing the class with TNT and Mines and defend area, preferably with buildings. Lay down mines on most traveled areas that vehicles use. You can do the same with assault and lay down trip mines strategically in the doorways of building s you are defending. That's how I play since I'm not good at 'twitch' FPS anymore.

Oct 21, 2016, 13:47
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2016, 13:47
Oct 21, 2016, 13:47

Task wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 13:16:
If you're raging, I'd suggest playing the class with TNT and Mines and defend area, preferably with buildings. Lay down mines on most traveled areas that vehicles use. You can do the same with assault and lay down trip mines strategically in the doorways of building s you are defending. That's how I play since I'm not good at 'twitch' FPS anymore.
Thanks for the tip. I just don't play enough FPS' anymore to be any good at the 'twitch' aspect of it, so I think a new strategy is in order.

Oct 21, 2016, 13:57
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2016, 13:57
Oct 21, 2016, 13:57

Task wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 13:08:
So those that have this on Blues, please confirm if they actually worked on joystick compatibility. It was deactivated in beta. They claimed to be "working on it" before release on Twitter.

I don't have one to try but last thing I read was they were still working on it. I haven't seen a patch yet either for anything and I've been playing since Monday. I'm guessing the answer is no.

Oct 21, 2016, 14:39
Re: Battlefield 1 Released Oct 21, 2016, 14:39
Oct 21, 2016, 14:39

Watched some gameplay. The infantry conquest map on the open rocky mountain (Monte Grappa) looks boring pew pew pew. Little team work required. Just run around and pew and hide behind rocks. The man playing it on youtube wasn't enjoying it very much, just trying to 'level up' to max but what's the point in leveling up if it's not fun? A level is a false self(ego), a number to identify with yourself. "My number is higher than your number!" 2nd grade playground argument.

The other maps with structures look more fun. Also the new game mode (Operations?) plays better than conquest apparently.

Perpetual debt is slavery.
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer