Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 13:54 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 13:41:
nin wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 08:33:
MattyC wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 06:44:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 02:31:
Task wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 20:14:
You may as well let out your disappointment now. If it's not on PC, I'll simply buy the console it's on.

LOL. Sucker. Console exclusives working as designed.

Are they really a sucker for buying something to play a game they want?

Nope. Go where the games you want to play are. None of this "I'm a hardcore gamer, but only on this one format and I get pissed when things don't go my way."

It has nothing to do with that.

1. The console companies paying off developers to not make a PC version in order to force people to adopt their console ecosystem. And if you buy into that then you're supporting and encouraging more of that in the future. Rockstar isn't some boutique developer that might not have the resources or expertise to port stuff to PC. They release stuff to PC all the time, so there's really no technical reason why they don't. And now that all the consoles are x86 architecture, it's easier than ever to make a PC version. That's fine, it's money on the table unless you fall for it and actually purchase a console to play it.

2. It's implicit in a non PC version of this game that "we're not making a PC version because PC players are dirty fucking pirates." They believe that by releasing on console a year earlier than PC they can prevent most piracy. It's stupid. As a PC gamer, do you support that image?

No one is paying to prevent this from coming to PC. Microsoft and Sony care about having exclusives to themselves, not against the PC. Neither would pay to avoid a PC release, and Microsoft of late has begun encouraging PC releases.

You're right that Rockstar has resources. For a variety of reasons, they're deeming them not worth using on a PC release. They did it with GTA3. They did it with Vice City. They did it with San Andreas. They did it with GTAIV. They did it with GTAV.

My guess is that these require very, very significant PC testing, due to how complex the worlds are. And that, in order to guarantee the console release when they want, they polish and finish it and then worry about the PC, that their process doesn't work well side by side.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 13:49 jdreyer

Nullity wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 12:45:
Red Dead Redemption will finally be playable on PC, via PlayStation Now.

That's just insulting.

Agreed. Make it console-exclusive, that's your right. Don't try and pander to a tech savvy group with bullshit. Yet another example of trying to force people into a specific ecosystem: "If you buy a PS4, you can play on your PC!" It either shows no understanding whatsoever of PC gaming, or it's a naked ploy. Either way, there's no need to support this kind of bullshit.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 13:41 jdreyer

nin wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 08:33:
You may as well let out your disappointment now. If it's not on PC, I'll simply buy the console it's on.

Nope. Go where the games you want to play are. None of this "I'm a hardcore gamer, but only on this one format and I get pissed when things don't go my way."

It has nothing to do with that.

1. The console companies paying off developers to not make a PC version in order to force people to adopt their console ecosystem. And if you buy into that then you're supporting and encouraging more of that in the future. Rockstar isn't some boutique developer that might not have the resources or expertise to port stuff to PC. They release stuff to PC all the time, so there's really no technical reason why they don't. And now that all the consoles are x86 architecture, it's easier than ever to make a PC version. That's fine, it's money on the table unless you fall for it and actually purchase a console to play it.

2. It's implicit in a non PC version of this game that "we're not making a PC version because PC players are dirty fucking pirates." They believe that by releasing on console a year earlier than PC they can prevent most piracy. It's stupid. As a PC gamer, do you support that image?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 12:45 Nullity

That's just insulting.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 11:26 Beamer

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 10:29:
Beamer wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 07:15:
VaranDragon wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 02:37:

The astounding willpower you posess impresses the hell out of me.

Why should we have willpower? We want to play a game. We'll find a game. While you're sitting in a corner thinking you're making a political statement that absolutely no one is paying attention to, we're enjoying the game we want to play.

And, when the game comes to PC, the people with "willpower" will rush to buy it, thinking they're actually making a statement, when Rockstar will do the same thing next time and delay the PC version again because it's what makes the most sense for its development cycle.

What political statement? What the hell are you talking about? He just said he was going to buy a console so he could play a game. One game. He didn't just say he was going to buy the game, he actually said he was going buy the console so that he could play that particular game.

Yes, and you somehow think that buying something you will enjoy is a weakness of willpower, as if you're somehow better for simply not playing it.

-------------

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 10:29 VaranDragon

Beamer wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 07:15:

Why should we have willpower? We want to play a game. We'll find a game. While you're sitting in a corner thinking you're making a political statement that absolutely no one is paying attention to, we're enjoying the game we want to play.

And, when the game comes to PC, the people with "willpower" will rush to buy it, thinking they're actually making a statement, when Rockstar will do the same thing next time and delay the PC version again because it's what makes the most sense for its development cycle.

What political statement? What the hell are you talking about? He just said he was going to buy a console so he could play a game. One game. He didn't just say he was going to buy the game, he actually said he was going buy the console so that he could play that particular game.

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 09:02 PHJF

I didn't have a problem buying a PS3 right when RDR came out because Demon's Souls had come out around a half a year earlier and the PS3 had at that point a pretty compelling library of good games.

My PS4 however is almost never touched, and boasts by far the worst library of ANY PlayStation to date. Upcoming releases don't look to improve that.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 08:33 nin

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 07:15 Beamer

-------------

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 06:44 MattyC

Are they really a sucker for buying something to play a game they want? I mean it isn't like consoles are all that expensive compared to graphic cards. I prefer the PC, but consoles have their place too.

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 02:37 VaranDragon

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 21, 2016, 02:31 jdreyer

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 20, 2016, 22:08 The Half Elf

I wouldn't mind having a PS4, with RDR2 and RDR1 on the Xbox One, that's the system I will end up with.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 20, 2016, 20:52 Nuhauser

Playstation Now has a purpose, but streaming from a PS4 is no replacement whatsoever for playing the game on a PC using mouse and keyboard and a new graphics card.  

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 20, 2016, 20:14 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 20, 2016, 19:45 Cutter

Fuuuuuck. Ima go apeshit on Rockstar if they don't bring RDR2 to the PC. This is the one game, the one game, that would make me buy a PS4. Hell, RDR was the only reason I bought an Xbox the first time around. And fuck that streaming noise for RDR, let's have a proper port and update or fuckoff.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 20, 2016, 19:29 nin

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >