Nintendo Switch Announced

Nintendo offers new details on Nintendo Switch, the final name for their new upcoming console. This video shows off the new hardware, which is centered around a small tablet controller, an extension of their Wii U design. Word is: "Introducing Nintendo Switch! In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles." There are more details in the official announcement:
In an introductory video released today (http://www.nintendo.com/switch), Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

View : : :
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Nintendo Switch Announced
Oct 22, 2016, 15:33
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 22, 2016, 15:33
Oct 22, 2016, 15:33

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 21, 2016, 16:23:
nin wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 16:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 16:41:
I would be surprised if this comes to market. If it does I doubt it will sell as well as the original Wii.

It's out in March. And saying it's not going to sell 100 million isn't really surprising.
Still not surprised
Shares of Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.T) dropped 6 percent in early trade on Friday after the videogame maker unveiled its next-generation gaming console, called the Nintendo Switch. The stock fell as far as 25,300 yen as of 0101 GMT, its lowest since Sept. 7.

I guess the people who actually have money in the game thought it was crappy too.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 21, 2016, 16:23
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 21, 2016, 16:23
Oct 21, 2016, 16:23

nin wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 16:46:
I would be surprised if this comes to market. If it does I doubt it will sell as well as the original Wii.

It's out in March. And saying it's not going to sell 100 million isn't really surprising.
Still not surprised
Shares of Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.T) dropped 6 percent in early trade on Friday after the videogame maker unveiled its next-generation gaming console, called the Nintendo Switch. The stock fell as far as 25,300 yen as of 0101 GMT, its lowest since Sept. 7.
The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Oct 21, 2016, 11:46
Jivaro

Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 21, 2016, 11:46
Oct 21, 2016, 11:46
 Jivaro

Timmeh wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 20:28:
this looks AWESOME!

Come on.. playing madden head to head at a table against someone with back to back devices would be super sweet!

I like the way you think...but I will admit that using those controllers to play Madden takes a bit of the appeal out of it.

Re: Morning Mobilization
Oct 21, 2016, 03:29
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2016, 03:29
Oct 21, 2016, 03:29

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 20:25:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 17:49:
I'd definitely prefer to have an external storage slot available. My problem is requiring the cartridge to play the game.

The 3DS uses cartridges, but just about everything released for it can also be purchased digitally. You store anything downloaded like that on a micro SD card because there is very limited internal storage.
Bingo. The cartridge complaints here were odd, and it looks like only a few of us actually have/use the 3DS. I guess a lot of people here were assuming that Nintendo still does everyone cartridge-only?

Anyhow, Nintendo has embraced a full dual physical/digital release strategy; everything released on physical media is also released digitally. (The inverse isn't quite true, since indies and other small games can't justify the costs). Nintendo still sees a need for physical game distribution, and considering how well 3DS (and for that matter, Vita) carts sold, they're clearly right.

Oct 20, 2016, 23:04
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 23:04
Oct 20, 2016, 23:04

This looks like a recipe for disaster... but heh, wish em all the luck.

Oct 20, 2016, 21:26
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 21:26
Oct 20, 2016, 21:26

ItBurn wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 21:05:
Looks like a bad idea to me. It's too bulky/big to be a handheld and it's not powerful/different enough to replace the WiiU which wasn't very successful in the first place... Maybe they'll have more to show or the sum of it's parts is greater, but I don't see it for now.

I think they're hoping that by consolidating all development efforts around a single device that they'll be able to create a strong enough library of exclusive titles to drive sales.

Oct 20, 2016, 21:05
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 21:05
Oct 20, 2016, 21:05

Looks like a bad idea to me. It's too bulky/big to be a handheld and it's not powerful/different enough to replace the WiiU which wasn't very successful in the first place... Maybe they'll have more to show or the sum of it's parts is greater, but I don't see it for now.

Oct 20, 2016, 20:28
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 20:28
Oct 20, 2016, 20:28

this looks AWESOME!

Come on.. playing madden head to head at a table against someone with back to back devices would be super sweet!

Oct 20, 2016, 20:25
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 20:25
Oct 20, 2016, 20:25

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 17:49:
I'd definitely prefer to have an external storage slot available. My problem is requiring the cartridge to play the game.

The 3DS uses cartridges, but just about everything released for it can also be purchased digitally. You store anything downloaded like that on a micro SD card because there is very limited internal storage. However, if you buy a digital game, it's tied to your account and is only playable on your system. Cartridges allow you to share games or re-sell them if you want.

I expect they'll go a similar route for this system, i.e. the user expands his storage as needed, because then they're saving money by not including tons of space that won't be used by people who don't shop digital except for maybe a Virtual Console title here and there.

Oct 20, 2016, 19:57
Cutter

Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 19:57
Oct 20, 2016, 19:57
 Cutter

Prez wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 18:45:
This looks pretty cool. If I was looking for a handheld gaming system this would be the one I'd choose.

For sure. The ad was trying a little too hard, but it's a pretty cool concept and device. I suspect they'll do well with it.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Oct 20, 2016, 18:45
Prez

Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 18:45
Oct 20, 2016, 18:45
 Prez

This looks pretty cool. If I was looking for a handheld gaming system this would be the one I'd choose.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 20, 2016, 17:57
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 17:57
Oct 20, 2016, 17:57

This looks like what the Wii U wanted to be. I think it's a great move for Nintendo. It chases the same markets they were trying to chase, but they will be less likely to get in their own way. Releasing Smash Bros on 3ds and wii u was a clear sign that they were heading in the wrong direction. By combining their handheld market with their main console market, the overlap should allow them to build on their strengths.

Will that be enough to disrupt the tablet/mobile phone industry or AAA console industry? Of course not. But that's not what they are trying to do. They still have a very strong brand, and I think the Switch has a good chance of recovering a bit from the Wii U disaster (their first and only mistake so far that actually hit them in the pocketbook).

If they can couple this hardware with a very aggressive courting of third party content, and it's not JUST a platform to play Miyamotos newest masterpiece, it could be very successful for them. Still not disruptive. But successful.

If it's JUST a platform to play the latest and oft-delayed Zelda, I'll still probably pick it up. I'm glad I skipped the WiiU.

Oct 20, 2016, 17:49
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 17:49
Oct 20, 2016, 17:49

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 14:30:
Pretty sure it's the latter. No one is going to want to carry around yet another device. I don't see anywhere that this can connect to the internet. Does it replicate other tablet functions? Is the screen multitouch? People will expect these things. And cartridges???

I'd be shocked if the tablet didn't have wi-fi connectivity. I would similarly be shocked if the tablet was not multi-touch although that functionality wasn't demoed so who knows. As for cartridges, I generally appreciate it when mobile devices have a flash card slot. Maybe you prefer the baked in capacity of an iPad?

Look I don't know if this thing will be worth getting or not. But I can say that basically everyone in my peer group of 30-something non-gamers is buzzing about it, just like they were buzzing about Pokemon Go. I can easily see this system being a thing, or it could be another Wii U. The fact that it's not a PS4 and likely has less powerful hardware is not what's going to kill it though. The seamless transition, or not, between use cases and ease of use being equally compelling in all use cases is.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Oct 20, 2016, 17:46
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 17:46
Oct 20, 2016, 17:46

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 14:34:
Agreed on most, though I think too much heat is being put on the cartridges, or rather as they should be called, a cheap flash drive w/ proprietary connector. Give me flash over a disc any day of the week.

Well, sure, compared to disks. What about onboard storage? You can get 256 GB USB keys for $50, I'm sure the unit cost for the chips is half that in bulk. Little cartridges like that for a mobile device are just begging to get lost.

Oct 20, 2016, 17:22
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 17:22
Oct 20, 2016, 17:22

This attempt at being 'relevant' reeks of desperation... Flush

Oct 20, 2016, 17:20
Kxmode

Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 17:20
Oct 20, 2016, 17:20
 Kxmode

I think the fail with Nintendo is that they don't understand their audience. People want their games to be mobile, but they don't want to lug around a bunch of devices. What they should have done is made Android and iPhone apps that seamlessly let people take their games on the go with the devices they already use!
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 20, 2016, 16:59
Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2016, 16:59
Oct 20, 2016, 16:59

Kabuto wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 15:15:
Bumpy wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 13:17:
Hmmm...connect a bluetooth gamepad to your phone or tablet and you, for the most part, get the same thing.

Or am I missing something obvious?

And play what? The processing power might be there but the games aren't.

It's an entirely different gaming market with an entirely different target audience leading to entirely different games. The fact that AAA console games aren't available on mobile devices doesn't deter the people who don't buy those games in the first place. I don't have the stats, but I would not be surprised if the iPhone is currently the world's most popular gaming device. At any rate, turn-based strategy, puzzle games, racing games, minecraft-style sandboxes, and adventure games are what are most popular on mobile devices, and most of them are not available on consoles or the PC.

Oct 20, 2016, 16:46
nin

Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 16:46
Oct 20, 2016, 16:46
 nin

Oct 20, 2016, 16:41
Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 16:41
Oct 20, 2016, 16:41

The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Oct 20, 2016, 16:04
Verno

Re: Nintendo Switch Announced Oct 20, 2016, 16:04
Oct 20, 2016, 16:04
 Verno

Hanneth wrote on Oct 20, 2016, 15:17:
"Battery life also tends to be on the high side." Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha ha ha. LOL! ROFL!
On my Wii, that I barely used, I was constantly replacing the batteries. So much so that I got rechargeable batteries that I was constantly charging and changing half way through a gaming session. This combined with another person talking about always having to have the tablet of the WiiU plugged in makes me think this will be as much of a disaster in design.

The Wii U tablet was a disaster but this uses a custom Nvidia SoC derived from the Tegra line so battery life should be similar to the Shield K1 tablet which is around 5-6 hours. More than enough for handheld use IMO.

The dock doesn't have to have a processor/GPU built in it. If.... big IF here but IF Nintendo was smart the whole console is the tablet itself. When its un-docked it goes into a slower speed state to conserve battery consumption.

Definitely possible but I don't know, it seems too large and bulky to just be a dock alone. That, the detail/framerate differences when undocked and the "external upgrade box" that Nintendo patented in the summmer are why I'm speculating on it.
Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older