Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Control: Origins Announced

Star Control Forums have the announcement of Star Control: Origins, a new installment in the space action series in the works at Stardock. They say this represents a new start for the franchise, saying it will come to PCs and consoles, with the PC version expected next year. They also plan a founder's program to provide beta access before the full release. The post includes a first few screenshots, and the following details:

Stardock announced Star Control: Origins today. Star Control: Origins is a sci-fi action/adventure game with many RPG elements set in the future where the player is the captain of Earthís first interstellar starship that explores a procedurally created galaxy, makes contact with various alien races, explores unique worlds, and engages in action packed battles, all while trying to unravel the complex intrigue that has the galaxy on the brink of chaos.

"We Earthlings are the newcomers to the galactic scene," said Brad Wardell, Executive Producer. "The dozen plus space-faring species have been hatching their schemes since before we got out of trees. Now, suddenly, they have to deal with those meddling apes from Sol 3 who threaten to upset the plot."

The game starts in the year 2086 with the unaware humans receiving a distress call from an alien ship that has crashed on the moon of Triton, leading to the formation of Star Control, an international space agency dedicated to protecting the Earth. The player takes on the role of The Captain of Earthís first interstellar ship whose first mission is to investigate the the distress signal.

Star Control: Origins represents a new start for the beloved franchise. Stardock acquired the rights to Star Control 1/2/3 from Atari and since then has launched a new game studio in Towson Maryland specifically to create the new Star Control title. The classic series is available for sale on Stardock's newly launched StarControl.com website with players also able to pre-order Star Control: Origins and join the Founderís Program.

"Star Control is ultimately about us Earthlings exploring the galaxy, finding and talking to strange alien civilizations, and hopefully living to tell the tale," said Wardell. "We are hopeful those who remember the original trilogy will like the direction weíre taking here while at the same time introducing a whole new generation to the awesomeness of a game that combined action, adventure, and roleplaying in a sci-fi game simultaneously."

Star Control: Origins is scheduled for release on PC and consoles with the PC release scheduled for 2017.

Players interested in joining the Founder's program for $35 will gain access to the upcoming beta program as well as access to the Founderís Vault, mod tools, private journals and more.

Visit www.starcontrol.com to join or get more details.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 19, 2016, 20:20 Dev

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'm looking forward to this  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 19, 2016, 09:28 Phasenoise

I fear they have changed the *smell* of one of my favorite games. It no longer *sings*.  

18. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 19, 2016, 07:56 ForgedReality

Let's not get *happy*. It is not yet time for *dancing*.  

17. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 19, 2016, 07:54 Numinar

SC 2 is a top 5 desert island game for me. The art, writing and gameplay were all super rock solid. The sense of adventure and nonlinearity unparalleled, a flippant Star Trek style adventure with a lot of lucasarts adventure game I n the puzzle design and conversation trees. I still have the printed out starmap with my scribbles and notes annotated on it from my first few runs through the game.

However I am not going to get excited about this. The MOO remake was better than MOO3 but this will have to do a lot more than be better than SC3 to be worthy of the name. Even SoaSE style production values won't be enough for this. Good luck devs I don't envy the task but hope for the best.

16. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 19, 2016, 03:58 Jerykk

Cautiously hopeful about this. Star Control 2 is one of my favorite games and I played it about 20 years after release.  

15. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 21:22 Vall Forran

They can make games. However, their art department (if they have one?) is terrible. It's like programmers with no art ability are controlling the art decisions.  

14. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 20:58 BIGtrouble77

christheshitter wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 19:23:
Just tried Galactic Civilizations, the first one from the same developer. I say yuck! What is this crap of a space strategy game!

I've played much batter strategy games!
GalCiv III is hardly crap, albeit it's not my favorite 4x space game. GalCiv II was the best of the genre until Distant Worlds came out imo, and then a host of other 4X space games saturated the space.

Frogboy has been bragging about this IP for a while now. Interesting to see some progress on SC, but it hardly looks impressive. I think Endess Space 2 is going to get my money next.

13. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 20:20 Orogogus

Without the aliens from SC 1 & 2 in it (especially the Ur-Quan) and without Ford & Reiche, I feel like this might as well be the Star Wars universe except without lightsabers, the Empire, Rebels, the Force, or any of the characters, planets or aliens. Just what do they have, other than the nostalgia ticket?  

12. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Oct 18, 2016, 19:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 17:35:
Are there any games at all that you play or do is your involvement in this hobby finding reasons to boycott things? Cause if you think that there aren't right-wingers in just about any and all game developers, you're probably in for a shock.

There may be, but Wardell invites boycotts, since it was his stupid boycott of UPS that introduced a lot of gamers to his particular brand of nuttery. UPS had stopped advertising on Fox News because they didn't want their brand associated with Glenn Beck's nuttery.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 19:23 christheshitter

Just tried Galactic Civilizations, the first one from the same developer. I say yuck! What is this crap of a space strategy game!

I've played much batter strategy games!

10. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 18:01 Annex

Yeah the screenshots look like a shitty console game. Hopefully its a lot of alpha placeholder art/design  

9. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 17:35 Parallax Abstraction

Are there any games at all that you play or do is your involvement in this hobby finding reasons to boycott things? Cause if you think that there aren't right-wingers in just about any and all game developers, you're probably in for a shock.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube | Mixer

8. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 16:55 Cutter

BW is a right-wing fascist so no soup for him!  

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

7. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 16:24 DangerDog

Very much a 'toon vibe, the lander video they show in the media section makes it look pretty casual in terms of gameplay.

might make for an easy port to mobile devices, can't blame them for that one.

6. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 15:27 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 18, 2016, 15:04:
But then I saw the three screenshots on the forum post.

Until somebody says "This is what the final artwork will look like." then I wouldn't worry. And that second pic made me smile, looks like the resource gathering mini game from SC II.

5. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 15:04 Burrito of Peace

I want to be excited, I do. I play The Ur-Quan Masters frequently.

But then I saw the three screenshots on the forum post.

4. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 14:45 Phasenoise

Star Control 2, and before it, Starflight 1/2 were amazing games with a real feel of exploration and discovery. I haven't played something like those since.

I hope they can recapture some of the "dealing with the unknown" feeling.

Or, may Juffo Wup consume them all.

3. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 14:31 El Pit

For a moment, I read Star Citizen: Origins, and expected Chris Roberts to kickstart the prequel to Star Citizen.  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

2. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 14:28 VaranDragon

Fingers crossed this turns out good!  

1. Re: Star Control: Origins Announced Oct 18, 2016, 13:33 The Half Elf

Don't announce shit, especially on your forums. SHOW ME SOMETHING, and post it on the front page of your website. Not Facebook, not Twitter, and not your forums.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo