Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Citizen Trailer

Roberts Space Industries website now offers Procedural Planets v2, a new version of this trailer from Star Citizen running at 60 frames-per-second. Word is: "Now available at 60 FPS! From brand new procedural planetary tech to a massive sandworm, the Homestead Demo we premiered at CitizenCon 2016 contained a ton of cool content."

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 20, 2016, 08:22 Peeeling

It's frustrating to see the continued emphasis on presenting high-bandwidth single-use content to promote a game people think they're going to be playing for 'decades'.

A sandstorm blowing bits off a crashed ship. Fine, if you're playing Uncharted. The sand-worm roaring in your face. Again: nice scripted camera-hogging cutscene triggered by standing in a specific spot that a single-player mission objective could force you to reach.

None of this works as long-term or multiplayer content. A single scripted animation of a sand-worm is several months of bespoke work away from being an enemy you can meaningfully fight, that doesn't glitch out when you kite it to rocky areas. On and on and on the work goes to turn that high-five moment into something REAL.

This is what grinds my gears the most about SC: the bait and switch of it all. Filling peoples' heads with visions of diving into a universe as rich and vibrant and dynamic as those depicted in sci-fi movies they love (to the extent of deliberately aping key scenes like the worm and the crashed Star Destroyer), when that simply is. not. possible.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 19, 2016, 02:27 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 17, 2016, 13:08:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 07:06:
If Mass Effect taught me anything, it's that driving a buggy around a vast, barren landscape isn't very interesting. That's kind of the whole problem with procedural content. Sure, you can have a potentially infinite amount of content but if 99% of it is generic and forgettable, what's the point?

The only thing in the video that caught my eye was the terrain doodads especially from the crashed shipped to the beacon. They look like they were "hand-placed"; especially the watering hole. If the team figured out a way to procedurally generate a planet with a hand-placed aesthetic that's pretty impressive tech.

Well, they actually hand place things on the procgen planet.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

51. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 17, 2016, 13:08 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Oct 16, 2016, 07:06:
If Mass Effect taught me anything, it's that driving a buggy around a vast, barren landscape isn't very interesting. That's kind of the whole problem with procedural content. Sure, you can have a potentially infinite amount of content but if 99% of it is generic and forgettable, what's the point?

The only thing in the video that caught my eye was the terrain doodads especially from the crashed shipped to the beacon. They look like they were "hand-placed"; especially the watering hole. If the team figured out a way to procedurally generate a planet with a hand-placed aesthetic that's pretty impressive tech.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

50. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 16, 2016, 07:06 Jerykk

49. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 16, 2016, 02:48 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 21:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 18:08:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 16:07:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 16:01:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 17:09:
look , I'm not trying to hype the game or jump the hype train

If you want to help, stop "White-Knighting" SC/SQ42 . Seriously, most people on this site know who you are.

because you, a mouth breather said so ? lol really?

Settle down kids, it's clear to anyone that wastes time reading these threads that naswulf is a smurf account created by one of KXs many personalities. They both spout feckless sycophantic dribble.

Right? It's like catnip for haters.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

48. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 15, 2016, 21:44 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 15, 2016, 18:08:

If you want to help, stop "White-Knighting" SC/SQ42 . Seriously, most people on this site know who you are.

Settle down kids, it's clear to anyone that wastes time reading these threads that naswulf is a smurf account created by one of KXs many personalities. They both spout feckless sycophantic dribble.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

47. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 15, 2016, 18:08 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

46. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 15, 2016, 16:07 NasWulf

because you, a DS mouth breather said so ? lol really?

45. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 15, 2016, 16:01 Kxmode

44. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 19:25 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 15:44:
By the way, the reaction on the cultist forums to the editor segment was hilarious. People were celebrating this as if CR just shit out a massive golden egg with ivory coating when in reality what you got to see was a standard development tool that allows level designers to place and align shit in the world. Whoopdeedoo... big deal? It looked exactly like any old editor or mod tool has looked for the last couple of decades.
But such is the way of the cultist... they are easily impressed by... everything.
There was no such response. People were impressed overall at what was shown but the community was disappointed by the lack of Squadron 42 content and the Star Marine no show. You can't accuse the community of being 'cultists' when they are highly critical of the project when warranted.

Yep. And it was missing at least 99.9% of all promised gameplay systems, zero AI (those Tusken raiders were dumb as a brick) and it was also missing 99.6% of the promised graphical fidelity. There was also obviously no multiplayer whatsoever, let alone anything resembling a PU or MMO environment with potentially dozens of other players or ships in the vicinity.
It is quite worrying that this barebone, stripped down to full nekkidness version dipped into the 40s fps-wise on a high end rig like that.
This means that the full version with all systems in place will in fact require a "supercomputer" or massive scaling down but let's worry about that when we get closer to release in 2025...
They haven't implemented DX12 yet and they stated that they're working on CPU and GPU optimisations. In other words you're criticising a pre-release alpha game for not having the same performance as a AAA released game with optimised drivers. Also, while there were drops the bulk of the presentation was running at 70-100fps. With optimisation it will easily run fine.

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 16:57:
The original prerecording session was real, of course. Someone must have partially played, partially scripted (camera cuts, guy on the mountain top etc.) and then (pre-)recorded this at their office in Santa Monica before they went to CitCon to show it off there.
It doesn't surprise me that it did not run with SLI because SLI has been broken as fuck since day 1 of the very first hangar release in 2013. It causes more issues than it gives a performance benefit.
SLI was fixed over a year ago, which shows how much you follow the project. The only bug recently was a flickering that occurred for a few seconds when first spawning. The issue is that the game is bottlenecked by the netcode at the moment, meaning that everybody is limited whether they have SLI or not. And again, are you really expecting SLI to work properly on an alpha test without optimised drivers released for it? Most major games have a special driver release.

All your criticism relates to the fact that the game is in alpha and is still under active development. That's like complaining that a house under construction lets in water when the roof hasn't been built yet - yes it's true but it won't be an issue once the roof is finished.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

43. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 19:16 MacLeod

edit .. look , I'm not trying to hype the game or jump the hype train ..

Rotfl

Yep. Yet you oddly come out of nowhere, whiteknighting a game you alledgedly have no interest in buying, or any investment in.

Yep. Definitely not trying to hypr or jump the hype train at all.

42. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 18:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

I don't care what anybody says, I'm still looking forward to buying this game when it finally comes out and goes on sale, in maybe 2025 or so.

41. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 17:09 NasWulf

so it's real, but faked/pre-recorded? and the editor was real because it took them 4 years to build tools, but they showed the same tech in both so one was real the other was fake? Headscratch

and of course it wasn't SLI because SLI breaks the game but it wont run on a single 1080 when everything else is added in even though it was running on a single 1080 in real time in the editor only? Headscratch

edit .. look , I'm not trying to hype the game or jump the hype train .. but from everything I've seen in the streams/videos I have to lean more towards the tech/demo/game is real, was running in real time in front of the audience and was running on a single 1080 and reached FPS of 170+ at times and 50 frames at other times ... no hype just what was shown ... do I think the sand people and worm were rip off, yes they were kinda gay ...

edit .. another reason I say it was in real time on stage was if it was a canned demo pre-recorded before the show and faked played on stage, then why wouldn't they just reuse that same footage to show in the 60fsp youTube video? the two videos are clearly not the same footage .. so if the youTube video is different, then that means they redid the canned/pre recorded video they showed at CitCon to a different video to upload on youTube ...

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2016, 17:33.

40. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 16:57 CJ_Parker

NasWulf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 16:04:
... Oh, did I claim that it was fake as well? Oops. Nope. I didn't.

hmm I seem to have read you said the whole thing was faked scripted game play to cheer up the hype train ... you retracting that statement?

No retraction. The so called "live demo" of the mission on Tatooine was IMO 100% pre-recorded with actors on the HOTAS but the editor presentation was probably real. Why wouldn't it be? One should hope that after four years they at the very least have stable dev tools and what they showed was absolutely nothing special or impressive at all.
As I said, this looked just like any game/level editor has looked for the past few decades. Just a standard dev tool... but the cultists wet their pants over it... "OMGOMFG DIS WEEELLL ALLOW DEM 2 BUILT CONTANT SO FAST WE WEEEELLLL BEEE PLAYIN DA FULL GAYME NEXT YEEERRRR"... it was quite cute .

It is quite worrying that this barebone, stripped down to full nekkidness version dipped into the 40s fps-wise on a high end rig like that.
This means that the full version with all systems in place will in fact require a "supercomputer" or massive scaling down but let's worry about that when we get closer to release in 2025...

The point is they are using current gen components to play thier demo tech and not a 3000$ rig with sli titan x gpus. and again are you saying that the demo was real and running in real time on a single 1080?

The original prerecording session was real, of course. Someone must have partially played, partially scripted (camera cuts, guy on the mountain top etc.) and then (pre-)recorded this at their office in Santa Monica before they went to CitCon to show it off there.
It doesn't surprise me that it did not run with SLI because SLI has been broken as fuck since day 1 of the very first hangar release in 2013. It causes more issues than it gives a performance benefit.

Considering what is missing in terms of gameplay features, animations, physics, particle effects, AI, general graphical fidelity (e.g. there is barely any lighting yet) and especially multiplayer etc. I am not impressed at all by the "performance" of this demo.
Imagine this same scenario with the full feature set, a dozen org mates accompanying the player on this mission and everything taking place on densely wooded Endor instead of a barren desert planet like Tatooine. Then we're heavily in slide show territory or crashing at loading the level...

39. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 16:04 NasWulf

... Oh, did I claim that it was fake as well? Oops. Nope. I didn't.

hmm I seem to have read you said the whole thing was faked scripted game play to cheer up the hype train ... you retracting that statement?

edit .. because if you're saying that the editor show off of the planetary tech demo was real, then at the end of the editor demo they show the artist go from the editor --> into the game --> and warp to another planet --> where he goes from one planet surface to another planet surface all in front of the audience in real time ... so that's not fake but the first part of the demo was faked/pre-recorded/shadow played?

... It is quite worrying that this barebone, stripped down to full nekkidness version dipped into the 40s fps-wise on a high end rig like that.

The point is they are using current gen components to play thier demo tech and not a 3000$ rig with sli titan x gpus. and again are you saying that the demo was real and running in real time on a single 1080?

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2016, 16:49.

38. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 15:44 CJ_Parker

NasWulf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 07:47:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 22:16:
No, Sir. They faked it being a live demo to give the fanbois an illusion of a playable level while in reality it was all scripted.

also the moon landing was faked as well ... /facepalm

edit ... oh and the second half of the Con presentation where the artist were running the editor in real time doing the same type of game play planet scale was faked as well .. /doublefacepalm

Oh, did I claim that it was fake as well? Oops. Nope. I didn't. /quintuplefacepalm Rolleyes

By the way, the reaction on the cultist forums to the editor segment was hilarious. People were celebrating this as if CR just shit out a massive golden egg with ivory coating when in reality what you got to see was a standard development tool that allows level designers to place and align shit in the world. Whoopdeedoo... big deal? It looked exactly like any old editor or mod tool has looked for the last couple of decades.
But such is the way of the cultist... they are easily impressed by... everything.

If anybody brings up the question of it running on a supercomputer, the computer it was running on was in a i7 6core with a Nvidia 1080 8 gig with a Intel SSD. Not some super computer running SLI Titan X's and they were hitting 50 - 170 frames un-optimize

Yep. And it was missing at least 99.9% of all promised gameplay systems, zero AI (those Tusken raiders were dumb as a brick) and it was also missing 99.6% of the promised graphical fidelity. There was also obviously no multiplayer whatsoever, let alone anything resembling a PU or MMO environment with potentially dozens of other players or ships in the vicinity.

37. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 15:38 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 11:09:
No Man's Sky 2 looks good.

Not quite. First, NMS could have greatly benefited from some SC style early access or alpha preview. Feedback would have popped their bubble. Also NMS focused too much on content over gameplay; SC has the opposite problem.

36. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 15:32 jdreyer

Phasenoise wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 09:14:
Perhaps Mr Roberts, you could, you know, work on spaceship combat a little in between showing tech demos for everything except spaceship combat.

Entire problem captured in one sentence. Well done sir.

35. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 14:01 NasWulf

Kxmode wrote:
I haven't bought a VIVE or Rift (primarily because I see it as a fad due to a lack of any killer apps [another discussion]) because my computer cannot run them. I'm not going to spend ~$1,600 to try VR. I definitely wouldn't for SC/SQ42; the next "No Man's Sky."

From the tech they are using it sounds like you wont need to spend another 1600$ to play. A current mid level pc would be fine to run a cryengine game at low to mid level.

The point is they are using current gen components to play thier demo tech and not a 3000$ rig with sli gpus like what you and derek has said people would need to run SC.

And you might not spend any money to upgrade your rig, but we all know you will spend the 50$ on SC when SQ42 is released so the argument is mute

If like any other game out there , including NMS, you can scale down the graphics , but that must be beyond CIGs technical capabilities .....

34. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 13:18 Kxmode

Slashman wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 12:12:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 07:47:
If anybody brings up the question of it running on a supercomputer, the computer it was running on was in a i7 6core with a Nvidia 1080 8 gig with a Intel SSD. Not some super computer running SLI Titan X's and they were hitting 50 - 170 frames un-optimize

Yeah because that's certainly the average gaming system for everyone!

I haven't bought a VIVE or Rift (primarily because I see it as a fad due to a lack of any killer apps [another discussion]) because my computer cannot run them. I'm not going to spend ~$1,600 to try VR. I definitely wouldn't for SC/SQ42; the next "No Man's Sky."

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >