Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed

The Squadron 42 campaign for Star Citizen is delayed until 2017, reports Kotaku UK, saying the news was revealed during a livestream from CitizenCon. The first chapter of the single-player side of the space simulator was most recently supposed to come to backers this year, but this news confirms rumors of a delay that surfaced last month. On the bright side, Eurogamer notes that Cloud Imperium Games released a new video showing off how planets will be procedurally generated in the game, along with other tidbits, including a sandworm, though they don't specify whether this is showing us Beetleguise or Dune. Back to the delay, the Kotaku UK story offers two slides with details on the state of the project, and here is what those say:
S42 Primary Tech Hurdles

Content

Most of our base technology is now complete
Still in Progress:
Subsumption

• Pathfinding Logic
  • Full Animation Integration
  • Improved Combat Logic
  • Mission System Integration
  • Enhanced Fight AI

Object Container Streaming
CPU and GPU Optimizations

S42 Status Update

Content

• All chapters and gameplay features at grey-box or better
  • Taking one chapter to final ship quality - flushes out any technical, integration and polish issues.
  • Building Technology & Systems for the long term and the whole SC universe - no short cuts!

View : : :
214 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed
Oct 13, 2016, 17:37
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 17:37
Oct 13, 2016, 17:37

Let's see, WoW took 4 years to make, and BF3 took 4 years to make, so Star Citizen should be done in 8 years?
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

Oct 13, 2016, 17:09
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 17:09
Oct 13, 2016, 17:09

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 16:23:
Most MMOs like WoW, SWTOR etc. certainly had a fully playable alpha after four years with some features missing

The 2003 WoW Alpha was closed and the 2004 Beta was open, WoW was announced as in development in 2001, so it took 2 years to have an internal Alpha and 3 years to have a closed Beta, with a 4.5 development period.

CIG launched their first Alpha module in 2014, 2 years in development. So on the WoW development terms, SC is right on schedule. Edit, and I say that with the idea that SQ42 will be launched in the next 6 months (hopefully) and that would bring the development time frame to about 4.5 years from KS launch to SQ42 release.

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 16:23:
The numbers speak for themselves. Four years and FAR less than 1% delivery. It's a fact.

so since say DICE hasn't delivered anything from Battlefont 2 in the last 4 years that they've done a bad job? Or since Sony hasn't released anything from Horizon Zero Dawn that it must be bad?

CIG has at lease giving backers game modes to play throughout the development cycle, yes not in the timely manner in which they said they would, but there are alpha modules you can download and play.

CIG has allowed its backers to play parts of their game, give feed back, and be apart of the development process which is not what most game developers do at any givin time. In terms of a normal development house, CIG could have kept everything in-house and not delivered anything for its backers like what normal game development companies do, like what id has done with all its titles, what EA does with its titles.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2016, 17:22.

Oct 13, 2016, 16:23
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 16:23
Oct 13, 2016, 16:23

Dude, you can twist and turn it which ever way you like. The problem is that as soon as CIG shows off something in their flashy trailers and demos you cultists immediately pretend like it has already been delivered when in reality it is usually months or years away.
If you go back then most of what CIG has shown in the numerous flashy trailers and demos over the years has never arrived in the game or, even if it has, in a half-assed fashion that did not even begin to match the quality of what was shown in said trailers & demos.

The simple truth of the matter is that we are approaching the end of the year 2016 and what we have is:

- Squadron 42: 0% delivery
- Persistent universe: Far less than 1% delivery
- Private servers: 0% delivery
- Mod tools: 0% delivery

Those are the cold, hard facts. It is ridiculous to claim that CIG have been making awesome progress these past four years. They haven't. Compared to the full scope all the way up to the final $65 million stretch goal, they have FUCK ALL to show for it today.
I am 100% convinced that there hasn't ever been a AAA game in the history of game development, except DN4ever maybe Wink , that has had a similarly poor output after four years (see, I'm even willing to give Roberts a break here because according to his counting we're at five years, not four).
Most MMOs like WoW, SWTOR etc. certainly had a fully playable alpha after four years with some features missing, parts of the world missing but they definitely weren't at less than 1% of the final thing or the projects would have been cancelled.

You know, I'm still looking forward to Squadron 42 and I want it to be delivered as polished as possible and I can absolutely wait for it patiently, too, but I'm calling a spade a spade here and unlike you cultists I'm not willing to stick my head in the sand, singing lalalalalala and pretending that everything is awesome when in reality everything is fucked up beyond recognition.
SC/S42 project management these past four years has been a complete clusterfuck of the most epic proportions. The numbers speak for themselves. Four years and FAR less than 1% delivery. It's a fact.

Oct 13, 2016, 15:55
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 15:55
Oct 13, 2016, 15:55

Dacron wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 11:14:
Wow, reading Naswulf losing his shit like a petulant child post after post was a great read this morning.
You must be reading different posts because the ones I've read have been perfectly reasonable. The critics here are just trying to get a rise out of people, accusing anyone who has the audacity to like the game of being delusional zealots.

Based on everything I've seen so far I have confidence that the game will end up being excellent; I also have confidence that there will be numerous more delays.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Oct 13, 2016, 11:14
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 11:14
Oct 13, 2016, 11:14

Wow, reading Naswulf losing his shit like a petulant child post after post was a great read this morning.

A little self reflection would be insightful, but judging from attitudes that'll never happen.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Oct 13, 2016, 09:30
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 09:30
Oct 13, 2016, 09:30

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 18:47:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 18:30:
As much as it may seem like a lost cause I think it's worth putting in the effort. There's only so long the critics of the game can bash the game before it proves them wrong, as it has done many times already.

Haha another ridiculous claim.

While it is true that the extreme doomsayers (of which I have never been a part FWIW) who predicted CIG would fold any minute now were proven wrong, everyone else (the regular skeptics) has not just been proven right but no one ever expected in their worst nightmares that CIG would suck as hard as they do.
Proven right? The game has been delayed. We get that. But the development is progressing well and what's been demonstrated to date has exceeded what was originally promised by a significant margin. I don't mind delays if the end result is an excellent game and everything so far suggests that to be the case.

Criticising a pre-alpha game for not matching up to a AAA release is pointless. Compare it to building a house - of course a house under construction is going to let in water if it doesn't have a roof; however, if the rest of the construction is of a high quality then when you put on the roof you'll have a high quality house.

If you want to bash a game under development for being delayed go ahead. All I care about is the final product and the work that CIG has done so far is exceptional. If the final product isn't any good then that will be a separate discussion.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Oct 13, 2016, 08:29
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 08:29
Oct 13, 2016, 08:29

Peeeling wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:12:
I did enjoy this bit though:

"BF3 took about 6 years to make (from BF2 to release)"

So a BF1 MMO would take... how long, you think? And how long if, after five years, you didn't even have the BF1 part?

I really don't understand how your mind is working here. Games far less ambitious than SC routinely cost more and take longer, even when development goes to plan, even when planned properly, scoped properly in advance, and executed by a team seasoned by development of earlier, similar games. Here we have constant feature-creep, constant do-overs, a ridiculous 'modular' non-plan for development (just the dumbest, dumbest idea, ramping up to umpteen studios when he did without any core tech locked down) - somehow this is fine?

I didn't see your edit at the time you posted. I was talking about and referring to the fact that a lot of people around here seem to forget how long AAA games take to make. And how SC is about on track with 4 years of development, 5 years if you count the 1 year of prototyping and tying to sell/gain money to start the project, which is not DEV time but whatever, the true DEV time started after the KS funding, but again whatever. I also think i mentioned that it was a new team that had to build Tech from the ground up, like you mentioned about not being a seasoned team, even though they do have almost the entire Crytek engine team now.

I'll also refer back to my original post about redos and how that is just apart of game DEV, any good team that wants to produce a quality product will have redos in their DEV schedule, it happens and the new DOOM is a great example of redos. The trick is to not let it happen like what DNF did with changing to new engines 2-3 times, or what you say SC is doing. Although they said everything in SQ42 is featured locked soooo ..

The whole point was you mentioned that if say WoW redid their graphics to SC standards (which btw they have redone their graphics engine several times now to add newer technology) that they would go bust, which in Blizzard money would be untrue. I was making the point that it cost less to make WoW than you stated and SC has double the funds than what WoW had during it's development and about the same DEV time. The other games on the list were to show DEV time frames and how not all AAA games cost or take the same amount of time to DEV and SC was well within the time frame of any other AAA game with its redos. Ans again if it starts to creep into the 6 - 7 - 8 years without releasing a good chunk of thier promises and funding dries uo, then yes they would be in trouble, but right now that do not seem to be the case.

People seem to have a hard on thinking SC should have been done in 2 years (because CR promised us it would be out in 2014!) well as been said before, that game and what is currently being worked on are clearly different games ("but that's not what I paid for!" -haters). One was going to be a space sim in the style of WingCommander ("which is all I wanted" -haters) and the other is a AAA title with new Tech, feature creep that people paid for in the stretch goals, and higher anal CR standards.

That's all I was referring too.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2016, 09:06.

Oct 13, 2016, 08:12
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 13, 2016, 08:12
Oct 13, 2016, 08:12

double post

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2016, 08:31.

Oct 12, 2016, 20:55
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:55
Oct 12, 2016, 20:55
 Kxmode

NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:46:
But Daddy .... i want it NOOOOWWWWWWWW - veruca salt (that ones for the Kxmode)

Please don't bring me into your backyard brawl, mister.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Oct 12, 2016, 20:46
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:46
Oct 12, 2016, 20:46

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:32:
... yawn ...

again, I've never said that CR hasn't promised things and never delivered, I believe I've said several times that the game will come out when it comes out to those who like to say it's all a pipe dream. I've never said CR is the lord and Savior of video games, I think my first post that people like to be trow out is that you idiots are arguing about a Video Game. I don't care about CR timelines, missed deadline or whatever else you seem to be soo mad about ... to me it was about the Tech they show off .. you can re-post about the TECH SOOO GOOOD bs .. but I loled at it

... and again it's truly hilarious that people just love to trash a game that in reality is at about the same time line in development time as other AAA titles ...

But Daddy .... i want it NOOOOWWWWWWWW - veruca salt (that ones for the Kxmode)

you guys truly made my day today ...

Oct 12, 2016, 20:38
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:38
 Kxmode

Is time spent on engine development separate than the time dedicated to game development or are they treated as single development time?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:38

NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:25:
Don't forget Overwatch. I hear some of the character art was salvaged from Blizzard's failed MMO. I guess by your logic they didn't do anything wrong there either.

It's telling that your knee-jerk reaction to me saying they've done stuff wrong is to say "No they haven't" and back it up with a list of projects that went wrong. It's nonsense. Either your argument is that they haven't done anything wrong, or it's that it's possible to do things wrong and still turn it around and make a good game. Pick one.

hu? where did I say other projects went wrong? and when did I ever say that SC was perfect and nothing is wrong?

Sorry, wasn't talking to you with that bit. Should have attributed the two halves of my post better. My bad.

Oct 12, 2016, 20:32
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:32
Oct 12, 2016, 20:32

NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 19:31:
According to Chris Roberts' own words we are now five years in and what do we have?

Wait, what? I understand math is not your strong point, but lets see ... they just had their 4th "birthday" at CitCon, that interview in CS own words is from 2012 (4 years ago) and the original KS campaign was in October 2012 (4 y e a r s ago). Oh I forgot in 2011 he made a early prototype CGI demo to get things started ... i guess you can call that development time ... lol ... i mean ... wow

I don't need maths skills. I just need reading comprehension which you apparently lack but such is the way of the SC cultist. They only do selective reading when something suits their agenda and the agenda of their infallible cult leader Christ Roberts.

But I'm a nice guy so I'll copy&paste the relevant quote for you...

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

^ see Chris own words "We're already one year in". Spoken in 2012. So we're at five years no matter how you wish to spin it.

edit , lets put in perspective the DEV times of other AAA Titles.

WoW .. 4.5 years + a years to polish
BF3 took about 6 years to make (from BF2 to release)
Elite: Dangerous took from 2011 to 2014 for full release (3 years)
Witcher 3 took 3.5 years
Titanfall took from 2011 to 2014 release (3 years using the source engine)
DOOM (2016) started in 2008 and released in 2016 (8 years)

on and on ... again , if it takes another 3 - 4 years and funding dries up , then the game is doom to be the next DNF ...

Cute... and? Then why did CR promise delivery in 2014? Why did he dismiss the interviewer's apparent skepticism with regard to the ambitious timeline? Why does he keep making up dates they can not meet? Why did the Squadron 42 trailer promise the game for this year? Why did Chris Roberts say at Gamescom last year that the "full PU" (his exact words... FULL PU) will be here by the end of 2016? Where is it? Why does everyone except for the guy making the game seem to know that things take time?

The really funny and ironic part is that back in 2012 cultists like you actually defended claims by Chris that the game could be done in two years. People like you posted the quote I posted above saying that doubters have no clue about game development and that Chris would be 100% right. When people mentioned that other games took a lot longer to make, i.e. brought up lists like you just did, then the cultists said that Chris would do the game much faster because there is no publisher holding him back and because of his superior experience and that any doubter should simply look at the first Squadron 42 trailer to see that the game is already in a very advanced state.
Now you say that the doubters who complain about the state of the game have no clue about game development and that the delays were always (of course) to be expected.

I'm not sure it gets more schizo than that but such is the way of the brainwashed cultist. Keep trucking, Space Cowboy!

For the record, I never bought Roberts' super-optimistic timelines and it became obvious to me quickly that all of his babbling was part of the fraud. He threw out some bait dates to make it seem that people would be getting what they pledge for in a soon-ish fashion when he must have known exactly that none of that would ever happen.

However, I never even in my wildest dreams expected them to suck *that* fucking hard. 2016 and we neither have Squadron 42 nor even 1% of what the PU as advertised was supposed to become when (if) it is ever finished. Wow. Talk about a massive epic failure to deliver. It doesn't get more pathetic than this... oh wait, it does... people actually defending this failure is even more pathetic. My bad.

Oct 12, 2016, 20:25
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:25
Oct 12, 2016, 20:25

Don't forget Overwatch. I hear some of the character art was salvaged from Blizzard's failed MMO. I guess by your logic they didn't do anything wrong there either.

It's telling that your knee-jerk reaction to me saying they've done stuff wrong is to say "No they haven't" and back it up with a list of projects that went wrong. It's nonsense. Either your argument is that they haven't done anything wrong, or it's that it's possible to do things wrong and still turn it around and make a good game. Pick one.

hu? where did I say other projects went wrong? and when did I ever say that SC was perfect and nothing is wrong? I think by the standards around here that if you say anything positive about SC you are automatically labeled a "white knight" and nothing is ever wrong ... it is a laughable label giving out by the cool kids with 100s of posts ... "you only post about one thing so you MUST be a SC fan boyee" .. lol it is funny to see that crap from the same people ... the only thing I say is DS is a fux tard, most the shit posted here about SC is not true, guessing, or made up "facts" re-spewed as facts (DerekXmode). oh and most people here are morons ... yes I have said that alot ...

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2016, 20:33.

Oct 12, 2016, 20:12
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:12
Oct 12, 2016, 20:12

As for iteration being part of game dev - please stop trying to teach grandma to suck eggs. There's well-managed, well-planned, efficient iteration to resolve known unknowns before money is spent, and then there's just fucking stuff up and having to do it again. Or a loose-cannon studio boss getting his head turned by fancy features in other games and setting the project back months.

I did enjoy this bit though:

"BF3 took about 6 years to make (from BF2 to release)"

So a BF1 MMO would take... how long, you think? And how long if, after five years, you didn't even have the BF1 part?

I really don't understand how your mind is working here. Games far less ambitious than SC routinely cost more and take longer, even when development goes to plan, even when planned properly, scoped properly in advance, and executed by a team seasoned by development of earlier, similar games. Here we have constant feature-creep, constant do-overs, a ridiculous 'modular' non-plan for development (just the dumbest, dumbest idea, ramping up to umpteen studios when he did without any core tech locked down) - somehow this is fine?

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2016, 20:36.

Oct 12, 2016, 20:03
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 20:03
Oct 12, 2016, 20:03

MacLeod wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 19:57:
i guess you can call that development time ... lol ... i mean ... wow

Except your lord and savior Chris Roberts called it that himself in the article:

We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal.

Article posted: 2012-10-19 03:07

So yes, according to your own master, it's five years of development.

lol , lets see, my latest leisure suit larry manuscript has been in DEV for 6 years now ... because I wrote it in 2010 .. lol wow all hail el presidente

Oct 12, 2016, 19:57
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 19:57
Oct 12, 2016, 19:57

i guess you can call that development time ... lol ... i mean ... wow

Except your lord and savior Chris Roberts called it that himself in the article:

We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal.

Article posted: 2012-10-19 03:07

So yes, according to your own master, it's five years of development.

Oct 12, 2016, 19:36
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 19:36
Oct 12, 2016, 19:36
 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 14:50:
Don't worry guys, I'm going to change my handle to Chr1sRbrtz so you all have someone to yell at.

"Stop. Don't. Come back." - Willy Wonka Toff

Oct 12, 2016, 19:31
Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 19:31
Oct 12, 2016, 19:31

According to Chris Roberts' own words we are now five years in and what do we have?

Wait, what? I understand math is not your strong point, but lets see ... they just had their 4th "birthday" at CitCon, that interview in CS own words is from 2012 (4 years ago) and the original KS campaign was in October 2012 (4 y e a r s ago). Oh I forgot in 2011 he made a early prototype CGI demo to get things started ... i guess you can call that development time ... lol ... i mean ... wow

edit , lets put in perspective the DEV times of other AAA Titles.

WoW .. 4.5 years + a years to polish
BF3 took about 6 years to make (from BF2 to release)
Elite: Dangerous took from 2011 to 2014 for full release (3 years)
Witcher 3 took 3.5 years
Titanfall took from 2011 to 2014 release (3 years using the source engine)
DOOM (2016) started in 2008 and released in 2016 (8 years)

on and on ... again , if it takes another 3 - 4 years and funding dries up , then the game is doom to be the next DNF ...

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2016, 19:47.

Oct 12, 2016, 19:27
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed Oct 12, 2016, 19:27
Oct 12, 2016, 19:27
 Kxmode

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 15:43:
MacLeod wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 15:33:
but has a post history of 59 posts, at least 50 of which are all about SC, and includes paragraph long rants about how they're doing everything right.

Sockpuppet much?

But... but... but... he is only interested in the SUPER-AWESOME TEKNOLOGEEEEE!!!111

I mean no other developer has ever had 64-bit precision in their game. No one has ever done procedural generation before. And no one has ever made a game where you can choose to play in 1st person or in 3rd person. ALL OF THIS IS GROUNDBREAKING U IDIOT!!!

"If you look closely you can see the rings spinning." - Chris Roberts

Sums up perfectly a release date for Star Citizen and SQ42.
214 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ] Older