Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month

Paradox Interactive announces an October 20th release date for the Leviathans story pack for Stellaris, the sci-fi strategy simulation. They say the pack will be accompanied by a new "Heinlein" patch for the base game, which will bring new features and gameplay improvements along with fixes. You can find the details on Leviathans on the Paradox Interactive website, where they have this trailer to show things off. Here are some details on the Heinlein patch:

Coupled with the release of Leviathans will be the traditional free update, dubbed "Heinlein". Containing upgrades and improvements for all players, just some of the highlights include:

• A convenient Auto-Explore feature.
  • Rally points for your freshly-assembled Navy.
  • The Expansion Planner Interface.
  • An overhaul of Strategic Resources.
  • Clearer specialization/role for ship types.
  • More options for customizing new galaxies.
  • New smarter Sector Governors.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month Oct 11, 2016, 04:06 ShakaUVM

Stallaris was unfortunately very underwhelming, especially the midgame. I'm hoping they'll make it better and I can go back to it, but it was just too boring to waste my time on.

Time to go play some EU4.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month Oct 10, 2016, 15:19 BIGtrouble77

Every time I go to play this game I end up getting bored, quit and fire up Distant Worlds. Now the trick is to figure out if this DLC ultimately makes this game fun and worth playing over DW.  

3. Re: Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month Oct 10, 2016, 12:23 Burrito of Peace

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 10:54:
why is it that these 4x space games still struggle with the magic that MOO II had?

I was disappointed with this game, but maybe they are fixing their mistakes.

Right off the bat, I am going to say that I love Stellaris. I play it near daily. I also play MOO II quite frequently as well.

MOOII was magic because, prior to it, no one had brought all the component pieces of it in to a single title. However, by today's standards, MOOII was a relatively simple game in terms of mechanics. The diplomacy was nascent at best, with nothing super deep coming out of it. Combat involved a simple numbers comparison with nothing really tactical about it. Your choices of movement where up, down, backward, and forward. Tactics or formations held no part in it. Ground combat was you dropping off soldiers and watching an animation while the computer did the number checks in the background.

As with all strategy games, then and now, the difficulty level was just how many more bonuses the AI races got than you did. They didn't play any smarter or use better tactics.

Even your ship design was pretty crude. You have X number of tonnage per class. Assign it as you see fit. Got the Doomstar blueprints and the stellar converter? Congrats, you now have the insta-win combination. Ship classes were only goals to reach as you expanded your empire, tech, and credit generation.

I feel MOOII was a seminal title of its era because it took a lot of different systems from different game types, polished them, and interlocked them. The array of unique species wasn't really done previously as well as it was in MOOII. MOOII hit me at that point in my youth where new things were appearing quickly and seemed to be endless in regards with what we could do with our computers. Now that I am older, and have taken off the rose tinted nostalgia glasses, I can see that MOOII was a product of its time. Today, I expect the kind of experience I get from MOOII from games on my phone or tablet. I expect quite a bit more from my PC games because time and technology has progressed further.

Stellaris is a decent title but there are ways it could have been done better. The ship battles are, again, a numbers fight. Nexus or Homeworld style combat would have brought a lot of depth to that particular aspect of the game. Formations, mixed unit deployments, and tactics are sorely needed.

I also generally tend to agree with the sentiment that mid to late game becomes a drag because the game becomes about entropy, attrition, and sector management due to the fact that your governors are, currently, mindless idiots. Continued exploration serves as nothing more as a vehicle to expand your borders and gather resources. That's it, there's no feeling that you're still pushing the boundaries of the unknown with more waiting to be discovered.

But Paradox does seem to be listening as evidenced by the changes in Asmiov and the upcoming Heinlein patches. Will it get enormously better? Probably not. Is it getting slowly better? Yes, definitely.

2. Re: Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month Oct 10, 2016, 11:28 Cutter

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 10:54:
why is it that these 4x space games still struggle with the magic that MOO II had?

Because games like MOO and Ascendancy were built as complete games and games like this are built piecemeal in order to keep feeding the DLC machine? That's why I still haven't bought this thing. I'm waiting for the "complete" version at a good price.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust" - Thomas Aquinas

1. Re: Stellaris Leviathans Story Pack This Month Oct 10, 2016, 10:54 Ozmodan

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo