Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was 20 years ago today that Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play. It was also the day this site moved to the domain bluesnews.com, so on some level it's the 20th anniversary of Blue's News, the website formerly known as blue's Quake Rag. Whether you are a veteran who's been here most of that time, or a relative newcomer, thank you for the support. Also, thanks to those of you who send in links to news stories and other tidbits. Here's hoping the next 20 years are just as much fun!

Two Decades of Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Flatwoods.
Story: Bald eagle rescued from car grill.
Media: John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017 Movie) Official Teaser Trailer.
Epic NPC Man - Complete First Season
Casually Explained: Ordering Coffee.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Frans & Blue Oct 16, 2016, 20:51 Ant

Frans wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 03:51:
Ant wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 20:04:
Dang! How old was Quake Rag?
That's always been somewhat fuzzy but a best estimate was August 1995.

Been coming here since 1997 myself, and administrating since Fall 1999 (and news posting too, for a number of years). Congratulations Blue, it's been one heck of a ride. Allthumbsup
Ah, thanks to you Frans too. I didn't know you were doing this for so long too! So how did you meeting Blue?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 05:23 QuadBarrel

Congrads Blue for 20 yrs. I finally registered after first cruising at your site when you became Blue's news. Never recalled original name Blue's Quake Rag...wait just maybe I remembered it....anyhoo I had the honor of playing you 1 on 1 Doom2 DM on the NY DWANGO server back in the day. Let us all have another great 20 yrs cruising Blue's News!!!!!  

48. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2016, 04:07 DukeLeeto

Congratulations, now bring back QuakeCast and all will be complete.  

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 18:38 gpkgpk

Holy crap has it been 20 years already?
Congratz! One of my quake buddies (from MPlayer!) pointed me to this site back in the day and it's been the first site I visit ever since (and re-visit often during the day).
Keep up the good work and here's to another 20.
gpk

46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 18:21  CrushBug 

Congratulations on 20 years! I think I have been reading it for about 19.5 of them. It is still a minimum twice daily visit for me.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

45. Re: Samsung stops production of Galaxy Note 7 Oct 10, 2016, 14:03 Creston

El Pit wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 04:53:
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - the favorite cell phone of ISIS and Al Quaida breaking sales records in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya and elsewhere! Here is what satisfied customers have to say about the Galaxy Note 7: Kim Jong-un: "Best cell ever! Bought a million and will air-drop it for free all over South Korea!"

That's just terrible.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 12:01 DG

Not sure how long I've been coming here. I think my first comment was probably something to do with Operation Flashpoint (2001) [I guess via a previous account, back when we had to remember passwords] but I was lurking for a long time before that. Well before the millennium anyways, I remember Frans' time.

Big Frank wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 15:25:
Just realized I never whitelisted this site in my ad blocker and after coming here regularly since '99.

Whitelisting now!
I recommend anyone else who wants to celebrate the 20 year anniversary to whitelist this site in their adblocker.
Been whitelisted for a long time, though some still get blocked because 3rd party.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 12:01 MoreLuckThanSkill

El Pit wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 10:45:
nin wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 09:33:
...and I wish there was an amazon text link I could click, instead of having to kill the adbblocker, reload the page, and then click the amazon button...

Blue, nin's idea is simple and brilliant. Could you or Frans please add this to your site?

Same, I've been coming to this site for like 15 years or more, and only learned about the Amazon thing about a year ago, when somebody mentioned it in a thread. Adblock all the way by default on every site, for me.

Also, a bald eagle trapped in a car grill in Florida during a hurricane. There's a clever metaphor for the USA in there somewhere...

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 10:45 El Pit

nin wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 09:33:
...and I wish there was an amazon text link I could click, instead of having to kill the adbblocker, reload the page, and then click the amazon button...

Blue, nin's idea is simple and brilliant. Could you or Frans please add this to your site?

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 09:33 nin

TheLinx wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 09:19:
A few others have commented about Bluesnews being the only site on their ad blocker whitelist. I'm not going to unblock because, really, I am never going to click any of the adds so it seems pointless (do you still get paid if people don't click links?).

However, after 20 years of service, I would absolutely love to be able to donate something for your troubles... I looked around and couldn't see any kind of donation options? Is there a way to donate?

I don't whitelist, but I do use the amazon links - and I wish there was an amazon text link I could click, instead of having to kill the adbblocker, reload the page, and then click the amazon button...

First World Problems, I know...could Blue maybe hyperlink the "Blue's News is a participant" section? (Thanks!)

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

40. Re: 20 years? Oct 10, 2016, 09:23 sauron

Whoops, I got to this late. Well, Happy Anniversary Blue! Best gaming site on the internet.  

Kittens!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 09:19 TheLinx

As with the others here, your 20th anniversary comment made me realise that I have read your site every day for 20 years!

I remember reading it every morning back when I was at university, and it's still the first site I read every morning (or evening) when I get on my computer. A lot has changed in 20 years, kids, mortgages and long work hours have replaced study, booze and other fun things. But Bluesnews has been consistent throughout.

A few others have commented about Bluesnews being the only site on their ad blocker whitelist. I'm not going to unblock because, really, I am never going to click any of the adds so it seems pointless (do you still get paid if people don't click links?).

However, after 20 years of service, I would absolutely love to be able to donate something for your troubles... I looked around and couldn't see any kind of donation options? Is there a way to donate?

Anyhoo, keep up the good work!

38. Re: Samsung stops production of Galaxy Note 7 Oct 10, 2016, 04:53 El Pit

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - the favorite cell phone of ISIS and Al Quaida breaking sales records in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya and elsewhere! Here is what satisfied customers have to say about the Galaxy Note 7: Kim Jong-un: "Best cell ever! Bought a million and will air-drop it for free all over South Korea!"  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 04:46 El Pit

Blue, thanks to you first of all! You are keeping this site on track, you are making this your life's work investing hours, days, weeks, months, years, aaaand *drum rolls, fanfares* DECADES (!!!) into this site. Thanks, man, for not giving in to blingbling and glitter like so many other sites that have already closed up after going for the quick buck. And thanks to Frans, of course, for working on the hiccups whenever technical things get out of hand. Cheers, mates! And here's to another 20 years! Drinkers Party2 Number1  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 04:27 ItBurn

Congrats  

35. Re: 20 years? Oct 10, 2016, 03:51  Frans 

Ant wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 20:04:
Dang! How old was Quake Rag?
That's always been somewhat fuzzy but a best estimate was August 1995.

Been coming here since 1997 myself, and administrating since Fall 1999 (and news posting too, for a number of years). Congratulations Blue, it's been one heck of a ride. Allthumbsup

-- Frans

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 03:49 yuastnav

Yay, congratulations!  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 01:14 RoReR714

Congrats! Blue! Been my homepage for a good 10 years! Keep up the hard work!  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 00:05 Placid

Thank you for helping me keep up with pc games and hardware!!!  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2016, 23:46 Mr. Tact

Happy anniversary and thank you for all you do, Blue. I second the idea of another 20 years. Oh and where is that Patreon account?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo