Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins

The Wasteland 3 campaign is now live on Fig, offering the promised crowdfunding for the next installment in inXile Entertainment's post-apocalyptic RPG series. The initial goal is $2.75 million, and they are already well past the half-way mark. They offer a Fig Campaign Pitch video as well as this video (NSFW) from the game. They also provide more details on what to expect from the game and backer rewards, including a bonus game for anyone who chooses to support the project within the next 48 hours. Here's the deal:

FIRST 48 HOURS ONLY: All backers of Wasteland 3 ($20 or more) will receive a FREE copy of either the old-school turn-based post-apocalyptic cRPG UnderRail or the point-and-click horror adventure game STASIS. Steam Keys will be distributed after the Wasteland 3 campaign has concluded.

WHAT'S WASTELAND 3?

From the creators of Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera comes Wasteland 3! Following the critically acclaimed releases of 2014's Wasteland 2 and 2015's Wasteland 2: Director's Cut, fans have been clamoring for a direct sequel. Now we can bring it to you, with your help!

• A party-based role-playing game, with a renewed focus on our trademark complex story reactivity and strategic combat.
  • By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, we are evolving on Wasteland 2's deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
  • Play by yourself or with a friend in story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer. Choices open up (or close off) mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and lots of other content.
  • Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and establish a reputation in Colorado, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
  • The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
  • Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilizing a newly-revamped dialog tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera.
    Simultaneously releasing to Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

View : : :
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
Oct 7, 2016, 22:55
nin

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 7, 2016, 22:55
Oct 7, 2016, 22:55
 nin

Paypal now up, currently at 99% funded...

https://app.crowdox.com/projects/100109/wasteland-3

Oct 7, 2016, 21:13
mag
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 7, 2016, 21:13
Oct 7, 2016, 21:13
mag

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 23:18:
mag wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 21:39:

I hear a lot less about that stuff these days, so presumably they're less shady now. But for a long time there, they had an extremely sketchy reputation. I still avoid working with them whenever possible.

And VISA and MASTER card data security (the lack of it) don't bother you at all? Paypal is the only digital way you can hide your bank and card details from a store.

*Unless the store accepts crypto-currency
**Or unless you fancy paying with real physical paper money

*shrug* On my MasterCard I can generate single-use CC numbers that are only valid for a single retailer. And the two times I've ever had fraudulent charges on my other cards, my banks called me, canceled the number, reversed the charges, and sent a new card within an hour of the charges going through.

And none of them have a habit of stealing my money and sitting on it and refusing to give it back. Because, like, laws apply to them.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Oct 7, 2016, 09:36
Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 7, 2016, 09:36
Oct 7, 2016, 09:36

Those two free games (choice of one) are worth it alone at 30 level. Underrail and Stasis are incredibly good Isometrics.

Oct 7, 2016, 01:17
Dev

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 7, 2016, 01:17
Oct 7, 2016, 01:17
 Dev

Good video, but fig... I think I'll wait until release and a good sale. I backed wasteland 2 collectors, but I just don't feel like shelling out that much this time.

Oct 6, 2016, 23:18
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 23:18
Oct 6, 2016, 23:18

mag wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 21:39:

I hear a lot less about that stuff these days, so presumably they're less shady now. But for a long time there, they had an extremely sketchy reputation. I still avoid working with them whenever possible.

And VISA and MASTER card data security (the lack of it) don't bother you at all? Paypal is the only digital way you can hide your bank and card details from a store.

*Unless the store accepts crypto-currency
**Or unless you fancy paying with real physical paper money

Oct 6, 2016, 22:09
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 22:09
Oct 6, 2016, 22:09

you pay monthly or yearly fees on your credit card? you must have some shitty credit.

vendors who accept credit cards pay fees on each transaction, and you pay interest if you don't pay off the balance monthly, but I don't pay any fees when using by credit cards.

Oct 6, 2016, 21:39
mag
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 21:39
Oct 6, 2016, 21:39
mag

Darks wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 13:18:
Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:25:
Paypal is kind of a shitty company so I don't really have a problem with them doing so.

Just curious Verno, why do you think Pay Pal is shitty?

I've never had any issues with them or getting my money back if theirs been an issue.

PayPal skirted laws aimed at actual banks and financial institutions for a long time (not sure if they still do), and they had a pretty bad reputation for freezing peoples' accounts and money with little or no reason. And since they weren't a proper banking institution, people had pretty much no recourse. So months and months and months of not being able to access money held by PayPal.

Oct 6, 2016, 16:49
nin

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 16:49
Oct 6, 2016, 16:49
 nin

lol, he thought fig took 40%?

Oct 6, 2016, 16:48
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 16:48
Oct 6, 2016, 16:48

Darks wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:21:
Slashman wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 09:36:
Who doesn't support Paypal at this point?

Let me put it this way, inXile CEO Brian Fargo is on the Advisory Board of Fig. I think this pretty much explains it all. he and a few other members from other game companies started this site up. Looks to me its all about greed and how much money they want for themselves.

According to their stats about where the money goes FIG gets 40 percent of any funding they take in. seems pretty sketchy to me.

And yea, I agree taking PayPal out of the loop also took me out of funding this game. Another one of those loop holes they are trying to avoid by not having to pay Pay Pals percentage.

Here is a page that breaks it all down: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/invest

5% of the funds raised go to fig. 31% of revenue after game is launched goes to investors.

The 40% is the amount of the total game's funds they will be RAISING on fig. With 40% coming from wasteland 2 and torment sales, and 20% of other investing.

It doesn't look sketchy to me at all. Far from it in fact, if I wanted to donate to this campaign, I would feel much better about it than on kickstarter. The fact that Fargo is on the advisory board? That seems like a plus to me. Whatever advice he has to give them will be informed by his experience running successful crowdfunding, and as much as possible his decisions will be made on that board to benefit how well Wasteland 3 will do on this platform and minimize waste.

From what I've heard, paypal is a pretty shitty partner to work with. When you actually get paid can be variable, and they can throw a fit about weird things. Sorry that it's the way you prefer to pay, I'm sure they've factored in the potential funding they will lose to not have paypal and determined that it's just not worth adding at this point.

Oct 6, 2016, 15:27
Darks

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 15:27
Oct 6, 2016, 15:27
 Darks

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 13:28:
It's pretty well documented online but I'll give you my take. Paypal essentially operates like a bank without many of the regulations and protections of an actual bank. I've seen people lose their paypal accounts, paypal refuse to reimburse stolen funds and all sorts of shit over the years. One time a fundraiser that a buddy was running was suspended because paypal thought there was "suspicious activity" and just held the funds hostage while they investigated for months. I'm not a huge fan of their fees either. There's a few domains online dedicated to explaining why they suck with mountains of horror stories if you want more info.

I don't begrudge other people using Paypal, their money. I just can't really fault companies for trying to find an alternative payment processor.

Interesting, I dont know about the stories. I haven't really looked into them or know of any. but its good to know.

Thanks,
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Oct 6, 2016, 13:28
Verno

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 13:28
Oct 6, 2016, 13:28
 Verno

It's pretty well documented online but I'll give you my take. Paypal essentially operates like a bank without many of the regulations and protections of an actual bank. I've seen people lose their paypal accounts, paypal refuse to reimburse stolen funds and all sorts of shit over the years. One time a fundraiser that a buddy was running was suspended because paypal thought there was "suspicious activity" and just held the funds hostage while they investigated for months. I'm not a huge fan of their fees either. There's a few domains online dedicated to explaining why they suck with mountains of horror stories if you want more info.

I don't begrudge other people using Paypal, their money. I just can't really fault companies for trying to find an alternative payment processor.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Oct 6, 2016, 13:18
Darks

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 13:18
Oct 6, 2016, 13:18
 Darks

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:25:
Paypal is kind of a shitty company so I don't really have a problem with them doing so.

Just curious Verno, why do you think Pay Pal is shitty?

I've never had any issues with them or getting my money back if theirs been an issue.

Oct 6, 2016, 10:36
Verno

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 10:36
Oct 6, 2016, 10:36
 Verno

Credit card fees are usually higher than PayPal's measly fee so that can not really be the main reason.

They're using Stripe who have very competitive fees compared to Paypal. Their actual processing fee is essentially the same but Stripe doesn't charge extra for international CCs or special case cards which gets really pricey with Paypal. They also don't charge a month fee for the merchant account like Paypal does.

Oct 6, 2016, 10:27
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 10:27
Oct 6, 2016, 10:27

Darks wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 10:21:
And yea, I agree taking PayPal out of the loop also took me out of funding this game. Another one of those loop holes they are trying to avoid by not having to pay Pay Pals percentage.

Credit card fees are usually higher than PayPal's measly fee so that can not really be the main reason. And I have read some other place (so take it with a grain of salt but the person seemed to be well informed) that they will enable PayPal as an option once the $2.75 min goal has been achieved.

Oct 6, 2016, 10:25
Verno

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 10:25
Oct 6, 2016, 10:25
 Verno

Paypal is kind of a shitty company so I don't really have a problem with them doing so. They should definitely have more payment options to make up for that though. I don't see anything wrong with them using a different crowdfunding platform either, they have a proven delivery history. Kickstarter takes a big chunk, paypal takes a big chunk and that means less game for you. Earning some more for themselves is fine with me too, as long as the quality is there I would rather they get rewarded for their work instead of Peter Thiel and a bunch of people who only care about a dividend.

Oct 6, 2016, 10:21
Darks

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 10:21
Oct 6, 2016, 10:21
 Darks

Slashman wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 09:36:

Let me put it this way, inXile CEO Brian Fargo is on the Advisory Board of Fig. I think this pretty much explains it all. he and a few other members from other game companies started this site up. Looks to me its all about greed and how much money they want for themselves.

According to their stats about where the money goes FIG gets 40 percent of any funding they take in. seems pretty sketchy to me.

Oct 6, 2016, 09:44
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 09:44
Oct 6, 2016, 09:44

Oct 6, 2016, 09:36
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 09:36
Oct 6, 2016, 09:36

Oct 6, 2016, 09:24
Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 09:24
Oct 6, 2016, 09:24

nin wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 08:41:
Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 08:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 19:55:
Visa/Master Card number and date.. as only payment option

Yep, I guess they don't want my money. :-shrug-:

Their update last night said they're looking into PP.

Cool. I'd gladly back, but right now I literally have no way of doing so.

Oct 6, 2016, 08:41
nin

Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 08:41
Oct 6, 2016, 08:41
 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 08:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 19:55:
Visa/Master Card number and date.. as only payment option

Yep, I guess they don't want my money. :-shrug-:

Their update last night said they're looking into PP.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older