Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Crucible Announced

Crucible is the last of Amazon's three announcements, revealing plans for a survival RPG, once again, with an emphasis on internet streaming. This apparently has nothing to do with Arthur Miller, as word is: "Crucible is a battle to the last survivor on a hostile, alien world. Players choose and customize heroes, making alliances and betraying allies on their path to victory. An additional player heightens the drama by triggering events, live-streaming the battles, and interacting with viewers." There is also an Amazon listing for this one with some art.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Crucible Announced Oct 1, 2016, 20:56 HorrorScope

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 19:40:
There's no turn key solution to any of it, however. A person will need to do significant investigation and analysis and make sure that their initial product release is so much better than what's currently available that it will have to be noticed. That's how you grow a business. Simply offering what's already available with a slightly different design at the same price point just won't do it.

Agreed. But not that long ago if you made a quality game in a reasonable genre there was money there for you. Now you really have to have a key idea, skill and a some luck.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Crucible Announced Oct 1, 2016, 19:40 Burrito of Peace

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 10:09:
If you own the properties. I was mentioning new company, new ip. What do you really make that you really feel comfortable with ROI?

People have done mech recent enough and not much success, it seems it has to be branded with the Mech Warrior name for people to care.

We are seeing more space sims, some have done ok, but they started years ago to, what today would you start making that you feel you'd really get your $'s back with an original Space Sim IP? I do think this genre has some chance, all you have to do is the obvious, which people are either taking an extreme sim stance or trying to do too much. But it isn't cheap if you try quality cinematics to tell the story either.

It is now a very tough competitive market to get into.

Outside of Battletech and Heavy Gear, which were both tabletop games, the above titles had never been tried before when they were released.

If want a modern example, look at Kerbal Space Program. That game has received rave reviews and its made a bundle of money. I cannot recall any recent games that did a space program ala NASA simulation before. Sure there's was Orbiter and Shuttle, but those are flying sims.

The Talos Principle did well and it's nothing more than a really pretty puzzle game that is linked together by some engaging storytelling.

Any market you get in to is going to have established product baseline that you're going to have to challenge. That's part of the risk/reward paradigm. It's extremely rare to break open a new, virgin market that's not being served. The best you can do is compete in a market that is underserved if you're purely interested in quick ROI.

In relation to games, you don't have to solely look for new ground. Compete in an established market and simply provide a better product. Why do people rave about The Witcher series? Because it's a better product than WoW, Legend of Grimrock, and other fantasy RPGs. It's got a better story and better visuals that provide an immersive experience.

There's no turn key solution to any of it, however. A person will need to do significant investigation and analysis and make sure that their initial product release is so much better than what's currently available that it will have to be noticed. That's how you grow a business. Simply offering what's already available with a slightly different design at the same price point just won't do it.

4. Re: Crucible Announced Oct 1, 2016, 10:09 HorrorScope

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 02:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 12:31:
I'm really not sure what game type a new AAA or Indy can make today that isn't already competitive and would easily sell well.

Games like the following:
Interstate '76
Heavy Gear/Mechwarrior (MWO isn't it and HBS' Battletech game, which I backed, isn't a single player, story driven FPS)
Freespace/Wing Commander/Privateer (but actually RELEASE a game. Sadly, Everspace and House of a Dying Sun are releasing but don't have anywhere near the same hook or production values.)
Nexus: The Jupiter incident

If you own the properties. I was mentioning new company, new ip. What do you really make that you really feel comfortable with ROI?

People have done mech recent enough and not much success, it seems it has to be branded with the Mech Warrior name for people to care.

We are seeing more space sims, some have done ok, but they started years ago to, what today would you start making that you feel you'd really get your $'s back with an original Space Sim IP? I do think this genre has some chance, all you have to do is the obvious, which people are either taking an extreme sim stance or trying to do too much. But it isn't cheap if you try quality cinematics to tell the story either.

It is now a very tough competitive market to get into.

3. Re: Crucible Announced Oct 1, 2016, 02:46 Burrito of Peace

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 12:31:
I'm really not sure what game type a new AAA or Indy can make today that isn't already competitive and would easily sell well.

Games like the following:
Interstate '76
Heavy Gear/Mechwarrior (MWO isn't it and HBS' Battletech game, which I backed, isn't a single player, story driven FPS)
Freespace/Wing Commander/Privateer (but actually RELEASE a game. Sadly, Everspace and House of a Dying Sun are releasing but don't have anywhere near the same hook or production values.)
Nexus: The Jupiter incident

2. Re: Crucible Announced Sep 30, 2016, 12:31 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 11:26:
Annnd another griefer game. Is Amazon trying to lose money here? They could just give it to me instead. All the coke dealers and hookers would appreciate that money so much more. Wry

As I've been repeating about over-saturation. I'm really not sure what game type a new AAA or Indy can make today that isn't already competitive and would easily sell well. Any game now for new comers seems like a great risk.

I was doing Unity classes on the side and then realized a bit in... the games I was thinking of, even if done well, I didn't feel comfortable that it would sell, to be worth my time and well it has to be worth my time. Things like Steam Spy helped me make that decision. I still applaud those that try either successfully or not. Prior to say the kickstarter age, there were games if you made it and it was quality, your ROI would be there almost for sure. I no longer feel that way at all.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2016, 10:13.

1. Re: Crucible Announced Sep 30, 2016, 11:26 Cutter

Annnd another griefer game. Is Amazon trying to lose money here? They could just give it to me instead. All the coke dealers and hookers would appreciate that money so much more. Wry

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo