Out of the Blue

Okay football poolers, watch out, I got the Thursday game right. My struggles in the pool the past couple of seasons have consistently started in the first game of the week, so I'm taking it as a sign to fear me that I finally hit one. Yes, the Bengals were heavy favorites, but going into last night the Dolphins were 15-5 lifetime against Cincinnati and two of the Bengals wins were in the 1960s, so picking them involved ignoring history.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mad CEO.
Galactic Alien Mars.
Stories: HBO Chief Keen On "Thrones" Spin-Offs.
Ryder Cup 2016- American heckler wins $100 off Justin Rose.
Science: FDA approves first 'artificial pancreas.'
Goodbye, Rosetta! Spacecraft Crash-Lands on Comet in Mission Finale.
Earth CO2 levels: Have we crossed a point of no return?
Media: OVERWATCH ► FUNNIES, FAILS & CRAZY MOMENTS #7.
Where Are My Testicles, Summer?
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 1, 2016, 06:36
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 06:36
Oct 1, 2016, 06:36

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2016, 01:38:
bigspender wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 20:03:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 13:18:
Retired wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 12:30:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:55:
heroin wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:49:
HBO Chief Keen On "Thrones" Spin-Offs.

ME TOO

We got Luke Cage on NF, WestWorld on HBO, and I still have 4 episodes of Mr Robot this weekend...

Golden age of tv...

Just finished Daredevil season 2 last night. Very happy. Might dip into Luke Cage.

Don't need to be a scientist to say yes. Don't see many frogs anymore. Don't see salamanders (haven't seen one for probably 20 years). Killing off of forests. Plastic islands. Oil disasters that never get cleaned up.

I wonder just how many more generations we will go before some major diseases start wiping us out again. I don't think it is far off. In the US, all that has to happen is a cut in our food supply. We are an on demand, just in time food distribution country. More than 96% of the people in the US wouldn't last more than 2 weeks without a grocery store, fast food, or a restaurant.....

When you've lost Bats...

Especially with China and India continuing to build coal plants, we're well and truly fucked. (In balance, China builds a lot of wind, too)

We're moving in the right direction (less driving, less coal & oil usage, more solar and wind building out, etc.) but too slowly.

And that's only 1/2 the equation too - the other 50% or is methane from animal agriculture (which is about 15% of the emissions but, methane holds 25-70 times more heat, so it's calculated to roughly 50% of the warming effect).

That's why China is making it unpopular to eat meat - even hiring James Cameron and Arnie to do PSA: https://vimeo.com/169913909

I don't think it's too late, if we can get most of the world to eat sustainable food, and use green energy and transport over the next few decades and at least stop contributing to the problem, then we'll have a good chance of getting through it. Then of course we need some kind of population control.... Soylent green anyone?

I'm a vegetarian who trends vegan and walks to work. You're preaching to the choir brother.

So that's a no on the soylent green then ?

Re: Windows 10
Oct 1, 2016, 01:47
Re: Windows 10 Oct 1, 2016, 01:47
Oct 1, 2016, 01:47

jimnms wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 20:54:
Windows 10's updating and rebooting without asking is really pissing me off. Last night Windows 10 downloaded updates and rebooted on me while I was in the middle of using the system. I have the active hours set to 10am-10pm, and it updated and rebooted at 10:30pm, without warning, even though I was sitting there using the computer at the time. I believe this is the 3rd time it has done this. The first time it did it, it actually woke the computer up from sleep to reboot it in the middle of the night. I had all kinds of shit open, which is why I put it in sleep mode, so I could continue the next day. I woke to find my computer running and all of my shit closed down. The other time was similar to last night. I was using the computer after the "active hours," left to go to the kitchen or take a piss or something, and come back to find my computer rebooted and installing updates.

I've tried all of the solutions I can find (except two, which I'll get to in a minute), but it seems MS keeps "fixing" them. Why do they insist on not letting people have control over when their machines download, install updates and reboot?

Two fixes I haven't tried have some side effects I don't like. One is to disable the Windows Update service completely, but I've read that somehow it magically re-enables anyway. The other fix is to edit the registry and make Windows think your ethernet connection is metered. This supposedly will keep Windows from automatically downloading updates, but this also includes definition updates to Windows Defender. If I did that, I'd have to manually check for those to keep my system safe(ish), and I won't know if that works until the next round of updates for Windows 10.

I had an idea this afternoon that I'm going to try instead. Windows triggers the reboot by creating a scheduled task after downloading updates. Disabling or deleting the task doesn't stop it like some articles claim because Windows re-creates this task every time it downloads updates. My idea is to create a new task to disable the reboot task and make it run every hour or so. I won't know if it works until the next time Windows updates though, but it seems like it should do the trick.

This happened to me a few days ago, I had a bunch of things open on sleep overnight and it installed the update without saving my open work and FUCK did it piss me off. Which is odd, b/c I know under Win 7 if it did an auto update it would "remember" everything that was open if it installed an update. I was going to do some research this weekend when I had some time (as soon as I figure out how my daughter is overriding my youtube block, which I have set at the router level. And no, she's not tethering to her phone.)

My thought was to block the windows update IP address on the router, preventing it from downloading. It means once a month or so, I'd have to unblock it and let it download, but I'd prefer that to this lack of control. FUCK YOU MICROSOFT.

So please let us know what you come up with.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Oct 1, 2016, 01:38
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 01:38
Oct 1, 2016, 01:38

ME TOO

We got Luke Cage on NF, WestWorld on HBO, and I still have 4 episodes of Mr Robot this weekend...

Golden age of tv...

Just finished Daredevil season 2 last night. Very happy. Might dip into Luke Cage.

Don't need to be a scientist to say yes. Don't see many frogs anymore. Don't see salamanders (haven't seen one for probably 20 years). Killing off of forests. Plastic islands. Oil disasters that never get cleaned up.

I wonder just how many more generations we will go before some major diseases start wiping us out again. I don't think it is far off. In the US, all that has to happen is a cut in our food supply. We are an on demand, just in time food distribution country. More than 96% of the people in the US wouldn't last more than 2 weeks without a grocery store, fast food, or a restaurant.....

When you've lost Bats...

Especially with China and India continuing to build coal plants, we're well and truly fucked. (In balance, China builds a lot of wind, too)

We're moving in the right direction (less driving, less coal & oil usage, more solar and wind building out, etc.) but too slowly.

And that's only 1/2 the equation too - the other 50% or is methane from animal agriculture (which is about 15% of the emissions but, methane holds 25-70 times more heat, so it's calculated to roughly 50% of the warming effect).

That's why China is making it unpopular to eat meat - even hiring James Cameron and Arnie to do PSA: https://vimeo.com/169913909

I don't think it's too late, if we can get most of the world to eat sustainable food, and use green energy and transport over the next few decades and at least stop contributing to the problem, then we'll have a good chance of getting through it. Then of course we need some kind of population control.... Soylent green anyone?

I'm a vegetarian who trends vegan and walks to work. You're preaching to the choir brother.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Oct 1, 2016, 00:47
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 00:47
Oct 1, 2016, 00:47

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 11:57:
HBO should do a series based on Georgey's Wild Cards. It'd be nice to see a gritty adult show about Aces and Jokers.
If done well, that would be pretty awesome. I have difficulty believing it would be done well.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Oct 1, 2016, 00:44
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2016, 00:44
Oct 1, 2016, 00:44

When you've lost Bats...

Just saw an article that China is buying up the worlds supply of donkeys. Some African countries have started banning the trade altogether because lack of regulations is starting to cause problems with their local populations.

Re: Windows 10
Sep 30, 2016, 21:23
Re: Windows 10 Sep 30, 2016, 21:23
Sep 30, 2016, 21:23

jimnms wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 20:54:
Windows 10's updating and rebooting without asking is really pissing me off. snip

I have a guaranteed fix. Windows 7 Allthumbsup Drummer Idea Laugh Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Windows 10
Sep 30, 2016, 20:54
Windows 10 Sep 30, 2016, 20:54
Sep 30, 2016, 20:54

Windows 10's updating and rebooting without asking is really pissing me off. Last night Windows 10 downloaded updates and rebooted on me while I was in the middle of using the system. I have the active hours set to 10am-10pm, and it updated and rebooted at 10:30pm, without warning, even though I was sitting there using the computer at the time. I believe this is the 3rd time it has done this. The first time it did it, it actually woke the computer up from sleep to reboot it in the middle of the night. I had all kinds of shit open, which is why I put it in sleep mode, so I could continue the next day. I woke to find my computer running and all of my shit closed down. The other time was similar to last night. I was using the computer after the "active hours," left to go to the kitchen or take a piss or something, and come back to find my computer rebooted and installing updates.

I've tried all of the solutions I can find (except two, which I'll get to in a minute), but it seems MS keeps "fixing" them. Why do they insist on not letting people have control over when their machines download, install updates and reboot?

Two fixes I haven't tried have some side effects I don't like. One is to disable the Windows Update service completely, but I've read that somehow it magically re-enables anyway. The other fix is to edit the registry and make Windows think your ethernet connection is metered. This supposedly will keep Windows from automatically downloading updates, but this also includes definition updates to Windows Defender. If I did that, I'd have to manually check for those to keep my system safe(ish), and I won't know if that works until the next round of updates for Windows 10.

I had an idea this afternoon that I'm going to try instead. Windows triggers the reboot by creating a scheduled task after downloading updates. Disabling or deleting the task doesn't stop it like some articles claim because Windows re-creates this task every time it downloads updates. My idea is to create a new task to disable the reboot task and make it run every hour or so. I won't know if it works until the next time Windows updates though, but it seems like it should do the trick.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Sep 30, 2016, 20:03
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 20:03
Sep 30, 2016, 20:03

ME TOO

Golden age of tv...

When you've lost Bats...

Sep 30, 2016, 17:03
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 17:03
Sep 30, 2016, 17:03

This time, the Rosetta crew were not wearing any offensive shirts! A great achievement for mankind!

Sep 30, 2016, 15:22
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 15:22
Sep 30, 2016, 15:22

ME TOO

Golden age of tv...

When you've lost Bats...

China and India are already a disaster and only getting worse. It's as the rest of the third world is starting to finally hit real industrialization that the planet is going to go off the fucking rails. Heartless as it sounds, a new major pandemic is really required for a major reset on the planet. If it doesn't occur we'll be facing down WWIII before overly long.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Sep 30, 2016, 15:18
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 15:18
Sep 30, 2016, 15:18

RoboNerd wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 12:38:
Cutter: 11-10-8, so he must be using Coots McGroot in the football league. So we are tied for now in the standings, with Blue (Hair) somewhere down the line. It's hard to see Blue from these lofty heights... Tongue

Yeah, Coots is me. IRL I get called Cutter, Cuts, Cuttsy, Coots, Cooter, Cooper, The C-dog (I kid you not), I even had some drunk old ladies at my bar one time who kept calling me Sizzler. 'Hey! What the hell is your name again? Sizzler?'

I just hate when I make the "obvious" pick and they lose. Motherfucker!
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Sep 30, 2016, 13:58
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 13:58
Sep 30, 2016, 13:58

ME TOO

Golden age of tv...

I'm in the middle of watching Stranger Things at the moment and boy is it good. I'm really enjoying it.

Also enjoying Penny Dreadful season 3, although it's so similar to life here at Barad-Dur that for the first season I thought it was a reality show...
Kittens!

Sep 30, 2016, 13:18
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 13:18
Sep 30, 2016, 13:18

ME TOO

Golden age of tv...

When you've lost Bats...

Sep 30, 2016, 12:38
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 12:38
Sep 30, 2016, 12:38

Cutter: 11-10-8, so he must be using Coots McGroot in the football league. So we are tied for now in the standings, with Blue (Hair) somewhere down the line. It's hard to see Blue from these lofty heights... Tongue

Sep 30, 2016, 12:30
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 12:30
Sep 30, 2016, 12:30

ME TOO

Golden age of tv...

Sep 30, 2016, 11:57
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 11:57
Sep 30, 2016, 11:57

HBO should do a series based on Georgey's Wild Cards. It'd be nice to see a gritty adult show about Aces and Jokers.

And yeah, hope I bounce back this week. So far I'm 11/10/8, and I don't like it when my correct picks fall under 10. Picked the Bengals too, so let's hope that foretells a perfect score this week. Cheerleading

Earth CO2 levels? Oh well it was a good run while it lasted. Wry

Sep 30, 2016, 10:55
nin
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 10:55
Sep 30, 2016, 10:55
nin

ME TOO

Golden age of tv...

Sep 30, 2016, 10:49
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2016, 10:49
Sep 30, 2016, 10:49

ME TOO
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older