Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation

The U.K. Advertising Standards Authority is investigating No Man's Sky after complaints about the advertising of Hello Game's space simulation. Eurogamer reports on the situation after speaking with a representative of the agency. Here's a portion that covers what's at stake here:
The ASA has the power to have advertisements it believes are in breach of its code of conduct withdrawn, and prevent them from appearing again. If an advertiser refuses to comply with an ASA ruling, it can impose sanctions, such as asking internet search websites to remove a marketer's paid-for search ads.

The investigation is on-going, and so the ASA declined to comment further, but one of the complainants revealed details of its response in a post on Reddit.

The investigation revolves around No Man's Sky's Steam store page, which includes assets some believe misrepresent the controversial space game.

The ASA has contacted both Hello Games and Valve and asked them to respond to a raft of questions relating to No Man's Sky advertisements.

Complaints centre around screenshots and videos that feature more advanced animal behaviour, large-scale combat and ship-flying behaviour than ended up in the launch version of the game. Complainants also say screenshots misrepresent the graphical quality of the game.

There are also complaints around the Steam store page's reference to a lack of loading screens and factions that contest territory.

While the complaints target Steam, the ASA said any ruling would apply to other advertising for No Man's Sky, such as official YouTube videos and the game's listing on the PlayStation Store.
View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 21:39 RedEye9

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 15:04:
The saddest thing about this whole mess is that no one learned anything.

The idiot masses will pre-order more of these type of games.

Especially if the pre-order comes with a bonus "one of a kind" ship or some such nonsense. The derp of some people.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 17:11 Leper

Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 14:38:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 10:53:
"Let's investigate this a month+ after the game came out, and nobody pays any attention to the ad anymore! That'll really make it look like we care, and we're Serious Folks who are Not To Be Messed With!"

:-yawn-:

How else do you do it? The game only came out a few weeks ago. Before that it was impossible to do the compare. So, account for a couple weeks for dissatisfaction to build and make a complaint, a couple of weeks to investigate the validity, and a couple of weeks to formulate and execute a plan of action, and we're at the current date. How could it have been any faster?

It probably couldn't have been faster, but look at what these guys can actually "do."

The ASA has the power to have advertisements it believes are in breach of its code of conduct withdrawn, and prevent them from appearing again

Ooooh, they can make you take the ad down!!! That'll REALLY hurt two months after the game's been released. Where's the 5 million GBP fine?

Their "power" is like the Invisible Boy who can only turn invisible if nobody's watching.

Better than nothing. Even if their power is limited it's still bad publicity for the company and Sony, sets a precedent for further action such as lawsuits and sends an official message.

40. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 15:15 heroin

Back on topic, I had no intention of buying NMS unless it was really good & worth $60. Plus, Warlords of Draenor was coming out and I thought it was going to be *meh*, but I always play through content of new expansions, so that was where my $60 was going. Was definitely worth the $50 or $60. Witcher 3... I spent probably $120 on... if I could go back, I'd give them $400 and my left nut. Fallout 4, even though it was sort of short lived - was still worth it. These games are worth $60.

I liked NMS since I paid nothing for it, but Sony/Hello Games knew this game was not worth $60 and with the shady marketing practices - they are scammers - 'nuff said. I hope they have to pay a hefty settlement.

39. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 15:04 Tipsy McStagger

The saddest thing about this whole mess is that no one learned anything.

The idiot masses will pre-order more of these type of games.

38. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 14:38 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 13:14:
"Let's investigate this a month+ after the game came out, and nobody pays any attention to the ad anymore! That'll really make it look like we care, and we're Serious Folks who are Not To Be Messed With!"

How else do you do it? The game only came out a few weeks ago. Before that it was impossible to do the compare. So, account for a couple weeks for dissatisfaction to build and make a complaint, a couple of weeks to investigate the validity, and a couple of weeks to formulate and execute a plan of action, and we're at the current date. How could it have been any faster?

It probably couldn't have been faster, but look at what these guys can actually "do."

The ASA has the power to have advertisements it believes are in breach of its code of conduct withdrawn, and prevent them from appearing again

Ooooh, they can make you take the ad down!!! That'll REALLY hurt two months after the game's been released. Where's the 5 million GBP fine?

Their "power" is like the Invisible Boy who can only turn invisible if nobody's watching.

37. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 13:29 Timmeh

Man went to steam and read the reviews.... Brutal!!

I was not expecting that. Thought most people liked the game. The Devs must be crapping themselves over this. All the proposed deals are going out the window no doubt.

Better scale the graphics and release it on Android/Iphone.

36. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 13:16 Nullity

ASLayerAODsk wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 00:36:
I can't wait for this to start happening to all triple A games, cause so many of their ad campaigns leading up to release, well, are full of it, and the finished product is never as it appears in the trailers etc leading up to the release. Consumers should have lots of options for recourse, its good this is one of them.

Just imagine... Ubisoft games will actually look like their marketing!

35. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 13:14 jdreyer

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 13:09 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 09:40:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 05:36:
This isn't a case of cutting content, you would first have to make the content in order to cut it.

Haha damn that is a real zinger there, well played.

If you've ever watched the "making of" vids of this game, you can see that the stuff is in there all made from parts that exist in the game and rendered in-engine, it is just that the chance of all that stuff coming up randomly in that exact combination is infinitesimally small. Hello Games' promotional videos are in fact arguments extolling the quality of hand crafted over proc gen.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

33. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 13:02 jdreyer

LgFriess wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 07:58:
Just looking at that map and thinking of the Ultima cloth map gets me all tingley inside.

Show me on the doll where the Ultima touched you.

32. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 13:01 Cutter

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 06:51:
I still have my original Ultima Online Cloth map here. Wonder what thats worth now.

That'd be hilarious to take it to an Antiques Roadshow!

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

31. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 11:47 Nimh

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 11:30:
I bought U6 when it came out. Spent about half a day trying to free up the 600k base ram to allow me to run the game, before finally realising that the "Amstrad 1512" I was trying to install it on only had 512k base and no amount of buggering about with config.sys or autoexec.bat would get it to run.
I was gutted.
Kept the game though. Still got the box on the shelf, cloth map and moonstone included

The first computer my parents had was an Amstrad PC5120 from Radio Shack.. in glorious CGA. I still have some Big Blue Disks and some TSR D&D games laying around somewhere.

30. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 11:30 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

heroin wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 00:24:
*"cloth maps or posters or what not. The excitement of waiting for the release. Driving to the mall and buying it. Driving home and opening it."

Hell yeah, the Ultima VI Britannia map was hung from my wall for many years, there was a DOOM level set that came with a sick skull poster that was up there too.

I remember where I used to live, there was a video game rental shop (before Blockbuster and what have you) and they actually rented PC games (with the box). I used to wade through those games like I do with record shopping.

Still one of my favorite games from that era was The Magic Candle, that came with an awesome map as well (and manual).

Here's the map - http://magiccandle.wumple.com/files/mc1/mc1map.jpg It was one of the few games I remember where you actually needed to camp and some could go hunt, some could keep watch over the camp while others rested, etc - and later in the game it was imperative to split up party members for certain quests/tasks.

I bought U6 when it came out. Spent about half a day trying to free up the 600k base ram to allow me to run the game, before finally realising that the "Amstrad 1512" I was trying to install it on only had 512k base and no amount of buggering about with config.sys or autoexec.bat would get it to run.
I was gutted.
Kept the game though. Still got the box on the shelf, cloth map and moonstone included

PMB / Shodan
http://futilez.com

29. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 10:53 Creston

28. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 10:02 KS

The game reminds me of some of the more horrific science fiction I have read where the universe is choked with a variation on the grey goo scenario.

Evidently someone in the distant past sent self-replicating murder drones out into the cosmos (or maybe self-replicating murder drone factories) and now everywhere is reduced to a hunter-gatherer existence, dodging the murder drones.

I would like to capture 10 murder drones and use them to defend me from other murder drones.

Tracking and disabling the murder drone factories would give you something to work towards.

27. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 09:40 Verno

DangerDog wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 05:36:
This isn't a case of cutting content, you would first have to make the content in order to cut it.

Haha damn that is a real zinger there, well played.

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

26. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 09:20 Ozmodan

Yep, I also miss the game boxes. I was searching for some documents the other day and came across a Ultima Online cloth map. I still play a cd I got from Aion occasionally.

AS to No Man's Sky, yeah they over advertised the game, but then isn't that fairly common today with new games?

25. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 08:20 Nimh

I kinda feel bad for them.. it's a pretty experience, but not much of a game. It could have been viable with some simple fixes I think, even in it's current state. I just don't think they had the know-how or the vision to do it. It's like how Doom 3 was an excellent tech demo, just an awful game.

I have far more frustration with micro transactions, in-app purchases, DLC, season passes, third party launchers, creating accounts to play a game, online only games that aren't multiplayer, etc. Puke

24. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 08:01 subx

Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 23:44:
I miss game boxes.

I'm still slightly jealous of my friend's copy of Last Ninja 2, which not only came with a ninja mask in the box, but also a rubber throwing star (!)

23. Re: No Man's Sky Advertising Investigation Sep 29, 2016, 07:58 LgFriess

heroin wrote on Sep 29, 2016, 00:24:
*"cloth maps or posters or what not. The excitement of waiting for the release. Driving to the mall and buying it. Driving home and opening it."

Hell yeah, the Ultima VI Britannia map was hung from my wall for many years, there was a DOOM level set that came with a sick skull poster that was up there too.

I remember where I used to live, there was a video game rental shop (before Blockbuster and what have you) and they actually rented PC games (with the box). I used to wade through those games like I do with record shopping.

Still one of my favorite games from that era was The Magic Candle, that came with an awesome map as well (and manual).

Here's the map - http://magiccandle.wumple.com/files/mc1/mc1map.jpg It was one of the few games I remember where you actually needed to camp and some could go hunt, some could keep watch over the camp while others rested, etc - and later in the game it was imperative to split up party members for certain quests/tasks.

Just looking at that map and thinking of the Ultima cloth map gets me all tingley inside. I can see myself sitting in front of the computer, late at night, just excited as heck to find out what adventures are waiting in those treacherous lands.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >