Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer

The Battlefield website has a new feature on "the single player of Battlefield 1" (thanks ASLayerAODsk) though the omitted hyphen probably doesn't really mean they expect the game to sell only one copy. Their look at the single-player aspect of the upcoming World War I shooter includes this trailer with a cinematic look at its arms and characters. This will include seeing through the eyes of several different characters and encountering historical figures. Here's a bit:

You’ll also get to know real-life historical figures playing Battlefield 1 single player. A romantic and somewhat controversial character, Lawrence of Arabia is a name many recognize. Right up there with The Red Baron, Lawrence is one of the most iconic World War 1 names and I hope players will find it fascinating to spend time with this character.

Facing off with a technically superior enemy, Lawrence is put in a true underdog situation in Battlefield 1. The Ottoman Empire has a giant armored train called The Canavar – or “beast” in Turkish – equipped with a huge artillery piece that can strike from miles away. The Empire’s devastating artillery engages rebel forces – who are wielding rifles from horseback.

In Battlefield 1, you play an Arab rebel that is depicted as Lawrence’s right hand. This character needs to use her resourceful playstyle to scout out enemy encampments, liberate the equipment needed, and draw the armored train out to a final confrontation. Play it loud, quiet, long-range, close-up, on your horse, or in an appropriate vehicle – it’s up to you.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 29, 2016, 08:36 nin

maddog wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 16:00:
I like playing against bots because I am just not that good at MP games. I am on the good side of 40 and while I use to LOVE playing the BF42 mod Desert Combat on the "Don't Camp" server, I just don't have the time any more.

I want to get in, mess around and get out. I feel I would do the other MP players a disservice if I actually joined their server.

And sometimes I play with new players who may be even newer to the game than I, so an offline coop mode with bots filling the server is a great way to have a good time.

So are they out this time? Was hoping we might get some, but certainly wasn't holding my breath.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 29, 2016, 00:33 Slick

Yeah, I don't think your appraisal of MP being nothing but "hyper competitive 12 year olds" is anything close to accurate, but hey, different strokes...

In battlefront I do MUCH better against humans than the bots. You have a chance to outsmart a human, you don't have a chance to out-smart a bot, they're just terminators that lock on you and focus all fire on you. It's like playing a game of CoD on a high difficulty where all you're doing is peaking around a corner, having 12 bots firing at you, maybe kill one of them, then get back in cover and wait to heal up. It's boring. You can't go all rambo and leeroy bots. But you can against humans, because they're disorganized as fuck, and assume since there's 5 of them standing there, that some of them are OBVIOUSLY taking point. So you focus the one that actually sees you, then kill the other 4 that have their heads up their ass. Can't do that against bots.

Sure some people are asshats online, but you can A) turn off VOIP, and B) turn off chat. problem solved. And cheating is a very low-occuring problem. Besides, I'd be more concerned about going up against a team of literal aimbots than one human with an aimbot. It's true, going up against an AI firing back at you isn't fun, I think you proved my point Also you don't need to feel like your presence is weighing your team down, it's a pub match, there's zero expectations.

And if the BF1 beta is any indication, the average age and IQ of people playing MP is 6.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2016, 00:39.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

26. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 16:00 maddog

I like playing against bots because I am just not that good at MP games. I am on the good side of 40 and while I use to LOVE playing the BF42 mod Desert Combat on the "Don't Camp" server, I just don't have the time any more.

I want to get in, mess around and get out. I feel I would do the other MP players a disservice if I actually joined their server.

And sometimes I play with new players who may be even newer to the game than I, so an offline coop mode with bots filling the server is a great way to have a good time.

25. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 14:09 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 08:05:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 05:10:
Prez wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 18:41:
Was AIX the singleplayer/coop mod for BF2? If so, I enjoyed the hell out of that. I would love another one of those for a later BF game, but it looks like that will never happen. The theory about the technical hurdles of programming bot AI to navigate deformable terrain being too high makes sense, but I still wish it to happen. Yeah I'm a dreamer.

It *might* happen someday. They just added offline single player bots to Battlefront. I'm hoping they add them to BF1. If so, I'll pick it up. I just don't play multiplayer often enough to justify the expense without single player bots on the multiplayer maps.

So if you only have so much time, why would you rather play against bots? It's an honest question, but one that I'm truly puzzled about.

In battlefront there's bots, and it's awful.

Playing against humans you can trick them, outsmart them, see them pull crazy combos on you. You learn stuff. You don't learn anything from playing bots, it's like playing against hackers who have the aimbots just dialed down. You can't sneak up on a bot, you go sailing through the trees with a jetpack and any enemy with line-of sight now targets you, that shit never happens in an MP match. Bots don't get distracted, they also lack the ingenuity to actually overcome obstacles in a smart way.

In conclusion, if you only have X amount of time, why waste it playing a watered-down inferior version of the experience? "Battlefield moments" don't happen playing against bots. If it's a skill thing, just know that the matchmaking was spot-on during the beta, almost every conquest round ended with a ticket disparity of about 10-15 tickets (out of 300). And only when servers started to die off late at night did they become lopsided.

I get that you're a MP evangelist. We've had this conversation before. There's lots of reasons I have for playing SP:

1. I live in a timezone with few other people online when I play.
2. I'm somewhat anti social
3. I have a crappy internet connection
4. People cheat, taunt, etc. It's annoying.
5. The bots play the game in a way one would expect in a battle, not exploiting loopholes or gamifying play like humans do.
6. Allows learning of a map and the flow of battle on it without getting shot dead every 5 seconds. Also, vehicle practice.
7. I can play the map I want, instead of whatever's available.
8. No lag or rubberbanding or hitbox misses, etc.
9. Fun for 2-3 player coop vs. bots
10. Able to play a game even when other players have moved on to something else.
11. After a long day at work, whacking "stupid" bots is fun and relaxing. Playing against hypercompetitive 12-year-olds is not.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 08:05 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 05:10:
Was AIX the singleplayer/coop mod for BF2? If so, I enjoyed the hell out of that. I would love another one of those for a later BF game, but it looks like that will never happen. The theory about the technical hurdles of programming bot AI to navigate deformable terrain being too high makes sense, but I still wish it to happen. Yeah I'm a dreamer.

It *might* happen someday. They just added offline single player bots to Battlefront. I'm hoping they add them to BF1. If so, I'll pick it up. I just don't play multiplayer often enough to justify the expense without single player bots on the multiplayer maps.

So if you only have so much time, why would you rather play against bots? It's an honest question, but one that I'm truly puzzled about.

In battlefront there's bots, and it's awful.

Playing against humans you can trick them, outsmart them, see them pull crazy combos on you. You learn stuff. You don't learn anything from playing bots, it's like playing against hackers who have the aimbots just dialed down. You can't sneak up on a bot, you go sailing through the trees with a jetpack and any enemy with line-of sight now targets you, that shit never happens in an MP match. Bots don't get distracted, they also lack the ingenuity to actually overcome obstacles in a smart way.

In conclusion, if you only have X amount of time, why waste it playing a watered-down inferior version of the experience? "Battlefield moments" don't happen playing against bots. If it's a skill thing, just know that the matchmaking was spot-on during the beta, almost every conquest round ended with a ticket disparity of about 10-15 tickets (out of 300). And only when servers started to die off late at night did they become lopsided.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

23. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 06:59 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 05:07:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 19:15:
Task wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:47:
Ah, so another WW1 game not showing the perspective of the Central Alliance. Germans were just Nazi's in WW1 too of course, or something like that.

Expect a "Hollywood" version of WW1 here, they have black German and British soldiers fighting in European theater of war.

WW1 setting is just a backdrop, this is an alternate reality WW1 without pushing it into the "steampunk" realm of fantasy.

It's not too alternate reality, other than everyone's running around with a full-auto MP-18 submachine gun. They hew pretty close to the tech that was available at the time, while still having that actiony BF gameplay.

They would probably call it "authentic" in the sense that all the weapons and equipment are based on real things from that era. They never use the words "realistic" when describing Battlefield games. A "realistic" WWI game would be pretty awful.

22. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 05:14 jdreyer

Ah, so another WW1 game not showing the perspective of the Central Alliance. Germans were just Nazi's in WW1 too of course, or something like that.

They didn't even include France in the base game. What do you expect?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 05:10 jdreyer

20. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 05:07 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 19:15:

Expect a "Hollywood" version of WW1 here, they have black German and British soldiers fighting in European theater of war.

WW1 setting is just a backdrop, this is an alternate reality WW1 without pushing it into the "steampunk" realm of fantasy.

It's not too alternate reality, other than everyone's running around with a full-auto MP-18 submachine gun. They hew pretty close to the tech that was available at the time, while still having that actiony BF gameplay.

19. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 04:32 Slick

just played the 2142 revival, the move speed is so slow, and the maps are so big. Really does make you think before choosing where to spawn, or how to approach things.

Everything else about it is fucking godawful though, I recommend anyone who thinks the height of the series to be BF2/2142 to take a trip down memory lane with the free revival (community mod hosted servers).

Newer BFs feel better in every respect, except that feeling of taking your time. It also "feels" like you're progressing through the levels more because of the 150m wall of fog in every direction. I forgot how it was to play in the gunships, and just finding the other gunship was most of the battle, it's like dogfighting in a small bubble in an infinitely opaque cloud.

18. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 28, 2016, 00:33 <Electric-Spock>

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:11:
maddog wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:18:
So canned missions?!?!

No true offline\coop mode against AI? Ugh.

@Jdreyer - Thanks. Checking that out now.

I was playing AIX 2.0 mod for BF2 last night. Man, I would love a version of that in Frostbite. I was thinking about what made it so much fun. Yes, it's got that classic BF gameplay, but also there's a puzzle element to it: what and how do I make a difference such that we capture enough control points to win the game? Is it better for me to take to the skies in an A-10 and knock out armor so that my AI has an easier time capturing control points? Or should I lone wolf it to the enemy airbase, capture it, and deny the enemy air assets for a few minutes (until they roll up in a tank, kill me, and recapture it).
I like that combination of tactical thinking combined with action game play. And so many toys in that mod.

An HD remake of AIX would be the shit. Looking sexy in Frostbite, running smooth, and bringing back that gameplay man. Tactics seems to be what's missing nowadays with BF. They need to expand the maps, make transport vehicles have an actual role, and give squads multiple objectives to make an incentive to work together. The recent BF games feel more like an arena shooter. Just spawn in and sprint towards chaos. The feel is good, I just which it had more scope and scale.

Mod Tools? Idea

17. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 21:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

DangerDog wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 19:26:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:49:
Looks gorgeous, but Battlefield is all about the multiplayer. This should be either icing on the cake or irrelevant to your decision to purchase, at this point.

So far the lowest I've seen the (base) game for is $52.99 on Greenmangaming, and that has the added hassle of being in the UK, which can flag some peoples' credit card fraud protection.

https://www.dealzon.com/deals/cheap-battlefield-1#battlefield-1-standard-pc-download

use code VIP3

I paid 45.39 and I always use paypal and have never had any issues with GMG

Hey, thanks a lot!

Hrm, I need to make a habit of actually logging in to greenmangaming before checking the price, apparently. Log in price: $46.79 or something, non-login price, $52.99.

Well, now I'm committed. Battlefield had better turn out to be really good.

*EDIT* With VIP3, it dropped to $45.39, thanks

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2016, 01:06.

16. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 19:26 DangerDog

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:49:
Looks gorgeous, but Battlefield is all about the multiplayer. This should be either icing on the cake or irrelevant to your decision to purchase, at this point.

So far the lowest I've seen the (base) game for is $52.99 on Greenmangaming, and that has the added hassle of being in the UK, which can flag some peoples' credit card fraud protection.

https://www.dealzon.com/deals/cheap-battlefield-1#battlefield-1-standard-pc-download

use code VIP3

I paid 45.39 and I always use paypal and have never had any issues with GMG

15. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 19:15 DangerDog

14. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 19:07 Slick

Looks like they're continuing their foray into serious cinematic territory, like they've been doing since they broke from the bad company series. Bad Company was silly and fun, but I think it also worked because Frostbite was new, there were glitches galore, they didn't really have control of the engine that they wanted, so they purposefully kept it light.

Since BF3 they're tried to tell a more cinematic SP story, and to their credit, they have been getting better at it. They seem to want to create a movie with their SP, which by all accounts, their engine would allow them to get away with, the narrative and emotional scope that you could evoke with those graphics...

I'm half interested in replaying the BF4 SP campaign, but I've already replayed it a few times... It was good, the first 4 missions or so at least, the last 3 kinda fizzled out, but a really solid first half.

13. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 18:41 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 17:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

11. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 17:47 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

10. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 17:28 bigspender

NetHead wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:30:

Also that trailer seems like it has way to much drama for my liking. I'm not going to care in the least about some character because they force it so I can get "feelings" when they kill it, especially not if it's all broken down into segments where they'll be telling you how much you suddenly care about a different character.

Agreed. Waaaaay too much drama!It's a war, how much more motivation do they think you need? lol

9. Re: Battlefield 1 Single-Player Details & Trailer Sep 27, 2016, 17:22 maddog

Glad to hear that people are still enjoying the AIX mod. I was responsible for the AI navmeshes for a handful of maps.

Was a really fun time working on maps. Hard, but fun. Wish DICE would release mod tools but I think those days are looooonnggggg gone.

What is sad really is that despite all the programming talent at DICE, they can't (or perhaps refuse) to get bots working on the frostbite engine. Some old statements from them indicated that bots navigating the deform-able terrain was why they killed offline play.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 17:11:
maddog wrote on Sep 27, 2016, 15:18:
So canned missions?!?!

No true offline\coop mode against AI? Ugh.

@Jdreyer - Thanks. Checking that out now.

I was playing AIX 2.0 mod for BF2 last night. Man, I would love a version of that in Frostbite. I was thinking about what made it so much fun. Yes, it's got that classic BF gameplay, but also there's a puzzle element to it: what and how do I make a difference such that we capture enough control points to win the game? Is it better for me to take to the skies in an A-10 and knock out armor so that my AI has an easier time capturing control points? Or should I lone wolf it to the enemy airbase, capture it, and deny the enemy air assets for a few minutes (until they roll up in a tank, kill me, and recapture it).
I like that combination of tactical thinking combined with action game play. And so many toys in that mod.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo