Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Saturday Mobilization

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 26, 2016, 07:10 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2016, 02:44:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2016, 11:44:
People are going to give up their steering wheels kicking and screaming but the roads, particularly in urban and metropolitan areas, would be safer if we all used robot cars.

Humans, as a species, can't drive for shit. Too selfish, too self-absorbed, and too aggressive. The last 20+ years or so of obscene traffic in our major cities has basically provided all the evidence we will ever need to factually state that robot cars would save lives.

Unfortunately humans, as a species, have another detrimental characteristic. We don't actually place much value on facts that don't either maintain our comfortable status quo or benefit us directly and immediately.

The robot car is the invention that could save thousands of lives annually but we will be so slow to adopt them that I suspect it will be decades before the mainstream population accepts them.

Folks in rural areas are a different thing. I can understand why Bubba Joe in a town of 1000 people in western Montana doesn't have a use for the tech and doesn't want anything to do with it. The lack of traffic, the amount of dirt roads..etc etc...that makes sense to me.

With out paying drivers, and with robot car insurance super cheap (b/c 10x fewer accidents) ordering a robot taxi or Uber is simply going to be the cheapest option for 80% of people. The cost will drive the migration, and hangers-on will have to pay through the nose for 2 reasons:

1. Cars with steering wheels will become an expensive niche item

2. With so few people in the pool, car insurance rates will skyrocket.

Yeah, I had this conversation with my dad recently. He was arguing that an Uber is more expensive. I asked him how much his car cost, and how many hours per week he uses it. Then showed him what percentage of time the car spends sitting in the driveway solely taking up space, and how much he's paying per hour in the car. Combine that with a robotic Uber likely costing less than current Ubers, and the cost looks much, much lower, not even mentioning that he could have put the $50,000 into the stock market and seen it grow.

And, I also believe a very significant chunk of millennials are dying to not be tied to cars. They already have the lowest percentage of people with driver's licenses since they became a requirement. I moved to NYC over a better offer in LA in part because I was dying to get rid of the need for a car. Life is so much nicer without one. No more need to circle around looking for parking somewhere.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 26, 2016, 03:16 shiho

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2016, 02:46:
It's a common site in many Asian countries.

Well, I don't recognize such population control methods as legitimate.

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 26, 2016, 02:44 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2016, 11:44:
People are going to give up their steering wheels kicking and screaming but the roads, particularly in urban and metropolitan areas, would be safer if we all used robot cars.

Humans, as a species, can't drive for shit. Too selfish, too self-absorbed, and too aggressive. The last 20+ years or so of obscene traffic in our major cities has basically provided all the evidence we will ever need to factually state that robot cars would save lives.

Unfortunately humans, as a species, have another detrimental characteristic. We don't actually place much value on facts that don't either maintain our comfortable status quo or benefit us directly and immediately.

The robot car is the invention that could save thousands of lives annually but we will be so slow to adopt them that I suspect it will be decades before the mainstream population accepts them.

Folks in rural areas are a different thing. I can understand why Bubba Joe in a town of 1000 people in western Montana doesn't have a use for the tech and doesn't want anything to do with it. The lack of traffic, the amount of dirt roads..etc etc...that makes sense to me.

With out paying drivers, and with robot car insurance super cheap (b/c 10x fewer accidents) ordering a robot taxi or Uber is simply going to be the cheapest option for 80% of people. The cost will drive the migration, and hangers-on will have to pay through the nose for 2 reasons:

1. Cars with steering wheels will become an expensive niche item

2. With so few people in the pool, car insurance rates will skyrocket.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 25, 2016, 11:44 Jivaro

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 25, 2016, 02:48 jdreyer

I welcome our robot chauffeurlords.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 25, 2016, 02:46 jdreyer

shiho wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 18:55:
One of the most frightening things I've seen, is a grown man on a bicycle, riding right next to traffic in Downtown, with some kind of "seat" on the back with two toddlers strapped into it.

It's a common site in many Asian countries.

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 24, 2016, 21:38 Cutter

"Look at this - accident blackspot? These aren't accidents, they're throwing themselves into the road! Throwing themselves into the road gladly to escape all this hideousness! Throw yourself into the road, darling, you haven't got a chance!"

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 24, 2016, 20:42 Ahumado

ha ha ha haaaaa  

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 24, 2016, 18:55 shiho

One of the most frightening things I've seen, is a grown man on a bicycle, riding right next to traffic in Downtown, with some kind of "seat" on the back with two toddlers strapped into it.  

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 24, 2016, 16:50 Saboth

It's probably hard to program in the fact about 50% of people have no business driving, and another 30% are just selfish or bad drivers. I've been at a stoplight where people turning left from the oncoming directly will continuously run a red light for like 5 seconds after our light is green. People sit there and wait, with a green light, for 6-7 cars to finish blowing through a red light.  

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 24, 2016, 14:14 RedEye9

The Tesla never even saw it coming.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo