Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name

Blizzard announces they are embarking on an unbranding campaign for Battle.net. They launched the online service for their games in late 1996 around the launch of Diablo. The service is remaining in place, they are just dropping the Battle.net name after 20 years in favor of the catchier "Blizzard tech." Here's word:
We’re going to be transitioning away from using the Battle.net name for our gaming service and the functionality connected to it. Battle.net technology will continue to serve as the central nervous system for Blizzard games—nothing is changing in that regard. We’ll just be referring to it as Blizzard tech instead. You've already seen this recently with things like "Blizzard Streaming" and "Blizzard Voice," and more changes are on the way.

When we created Battle.net, the idea of including a tailored online-gaming service together with your game was more of a novel concept, so we put a lot of focus on explaining what the service was and how it worked, including giving it a distinct name. Over time, though, we’ve seen that there’s been occasional confusion and inefficiencies related to having two separate identities under which everything falls—Blizzard and Battle.net. Given that built-in multiplayer support is a well-understood concept and more of a normal expectation these days, there isn’t as much of a need to maintain a separate identity for what is essentially our networking technology.

We just wanted to make sure everyone was aware as we moved forward with this change over the next several months; we’ll provide any relevant updates as the transition progresses.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

No subject
Sep 23, 2016, 03:07
No subject Sep 23, 2016, 03:07
Sep 23, 2016, 03:07

Kxmode wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 19:59:

IIIuminati confirmed!

Son of a bitch...it all makes sense now!
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Re: Morning Mobilization
Sep 22, 2016, 20:02
Kxmode

Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 20:02
Sep 22, 2016, 20:02
 Kxmode

shiho wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 17:48:
Total-Khaos wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 16:48:
So I'm still going to have my Battle.net desktop application? No, it will be renamed to Blizzard Tech or something even more retarded.

IRVINE, CA: Blizzard Entertainment has released a follow-up announcement. In regard to our new "Blizzard tech" moniker, we want to clarify some things. No, you will no longer see the Battle.net icon in your system tray. The new "Blizzard" tech is an innovative approach that fully integrates itself into your operating system at the networking and filesystem layers. You'll never even know it's there!

Please be aware that some antivirus products, such as Kaspersky or Norton, may falsely detect Blizzard tech as a "rootkit". This minor inconvenience should go away soon, as we bribe them with giant wads of money.

Sincerely yours,
Bobby Kotick

It could be worse
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name
Sep 22, 2016, 19:59
Kxmode

Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 19:59
Sep 22, 2016, 19:59
 Kxmode

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 01:36:
nin wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 01:05:

It was rumored years ago that Activision wanted to use b.net as it's own competitor to steam. Never seemed to materialize, though...

I guess they were making games instead , like diablo 3, Warcraft 3.... you know, games with "3" in their name...

valve..?

IIIuminati confirmed!
"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Sep 22, 2016, 17:48
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 17:48
Sep 22, 2016, 17:48

Total-Khaos wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 16:48:
So I'm still going to have my Battle.net desktop application? No, it will be renamed to Blizzard Tech or something even more retarded.

IRVINE, CA: Blizzard Entertainment has released a follow-up announcement. In regard to our new "Blizzard tech" moniker, we want to clarify some things. No, you will no longer see the Battle.net icon in your system tray. The new "Blizzard" tech is an innovative approach that fully integrates itself into your operating system at the networking and filesystem layers. You'll never even know it's there!

Please be aware that some antivirus products, such as Kaspersky or Norton, may falsely detect Blizzard tech as a "rootkit". This minor inconvenience should go away soon, as we bribe them with giant wads of money.

Sincerely yours,
Bobby Kotick

Sep 22, 2016, 16:48
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 16:48
Sep 22, 2016, 16:48

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 11:49:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 09:19:
Not quite sure what you are complaining about. People are criticizing Blizzard for making a meaningless, cosmetic change and treating it like a big press event. I don't think anyone thought the service was going away.

As someone said, this is mostly the CEO thinking he is doing something productive -- and even though he isn't I'm sure he will get credit for being productive garnering a bonus worth many millions...

Don't like "Blizzard tech"? Great! You'll probably never hear it except as an off-hand reference deep in an interview about backend technical improvements for a new game/major patch!

Sep 22, 2016, 14:50
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 14:50
Sep 22, 2016, 14:50

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 11:49:
And to which CEO do you refer? I think it's fascinating that no one seems to say "Mike Morhaime", and instead references a more generic figure. Better, I suppose, to have someone faceless and only loosely identified when making absurd claims about bonus padding, or corruption by Activision, or [insert idiotic gamer complaint here]. Anyone that thinks a CEO of a company Blizzard's size did anything but sign off on it after scanning through an email on retiring Battle.net branding doesn't have a clue how enterprise-scale businesses operate.

I don't know or care who the CEO of Blizzard is. What I know is that, in general, large corporations in the US over compensate their executives and do their very best to screw their lowest tier of workers. Are there exceptions? Sure. But they are few and far between -- witness the Wells Fargo Bank nonsense.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 22, 2016, 11:49
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 11:49
Sep 22, 2016, 11:49

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 09:19:
Not quite sure what you are complaining about. People are criticizing Blizzard for making a meaningless, cosmetic change and treating it like a big press event. I don't think anyone thought the service was going away.

As someone said, this is mostly the CEO thinking he is doing something productive -- and even though he isn't I'm sure he will get credit for being productive garnering a bonus worth many millions...

Except it's not a big press event: it's a blog post that apparently people are reading too quickly and then getting upset about for little reason. I'm annoyed because people can't be bothered to read an (admittedly easy to misinterpret) blog post and just want to post knee-jerk reactions about how fucking terrible everything (nothing) is.

TYPICAL COMMENTS SECTION POSTER: "OMG Blizzard Tech is such a terrible fucking name. What assholes! I bet some greedy CEO is behind this!1!"

The problem is that Battle.net has NOT been renamed as Blizzard tech. Instead, the technologies that compose their online backend are losing their discrete branding, and will instead just be referred to as Blizzard technologies, if they'll be referred to at all. This isn't renaming, this is unnaming.

Don't like "Blizzard tech"? Great! You'll probably never hear it except as an off-hand reference deep in an interview about backend technical improvements for a new game/major patch!

And to which CEO do you refer? I think it's fascinating that no one seems to say "Mike Morhaime", and instead references a more generic figure. Better, I suppose, to have someone faceless and only loosely identified when making absurd claims about bonus padding, or corruption by Activision, or [insert idiotic gamer complaint here]. Anyone that thinks a CEO of a company Blizzard's size did anything but sign off on it after scanning through an email on retiring Battle.net branding doesn't have a clue how enterprise-scale businesses operate.

Sep 22, 2016, 09:19
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 09:19
Sep 22, 2016, 09:19

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 21, 2016, 23:17:
I know most folks on Bluesnews can't be bothered to click a link before commenting, but can they at least be bothered to read the article blurb before commenting?

Battle.net technology will continue to serve as the central nervous system for Blizzard games—nothing is changing in that regard. We’ll just be referring to it as Blizzard tech instead.

Given that built-in multiplayer support is a well-understood concept and more of a normal expectation these days, there isn’t as much of a need to maintain a separate identity for what is essentially our networking technology.

Note that they refer to "Battle.net technology" and how it will now be referred to as "Blizzard tech", i.e. their backend tech stack will no longer have its own branding. They're dropping the discrete branding for their backend tech stack, not rebranding as something else. If the backend tech stack needs to be referred to, it'll be referred to as "Blizzard tech", but not as part of an orchestrated branding effort for what in 2016 is just a standard part of an online game.

Reading is hard, I guess.

As for me, I'm sad to see the Battle.net branding go -- I still remember getting my Diablo 1 box with the "Play Online with Battle.net!" sticker in the corner -- but Blizzard is right: Battle.net isn't a product differentiator like it was in 1996, it's just an expected part of a modern video game and doesn't need its own marketing push.

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 22, 2016, 09:17
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 09:17
Sep 22, 2016, 09:17

heroin wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 02:09:
I see a lot of Blizz hate from people that probably haven't been paying attention to all the new stuff that has come out. The latest Heroes map is awesome and the game is an absolute blast to play.

New Overwatch map is pretty good and overall the new competitive mode makes the game a lot more fun to play. It definitely feels a lot better than it did in beta.

New WoW expansion is fucking awesome. It's hard to believe that they were able to breath fresh air into such an old game to the point that it's about the only game I've played all month long. The amount of content and systems in this expansion is absolutely mind-boggling and it's all tied up into a cohesive experience, especially in the end game when world quests open up.

Some of their staple employees may have left, sure, but I doubt Blizz is going to put out anything that isn't of superior game quality in the future. And I look forward to the games made by the few that went off to start the own projects (hopefully none of those projects turn out to be as much of a headache as Wildstar). Been playing Blizz games since the original Warcraft and I really don't care what they call Battle.net... as long as they add support into their program for older games, especially one's I still play like Warcraft 3 (which recently got a multiplayer overhaul).

Your name...so appropriate. I think maybe it might be time to get some help though. Wreck

Sep 22, 2016, 08:06
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 08:06
Sep 22, 2016, 08:06

Kxmode wrote on Sep 21, 2016, 22:56:
Perhaps Activision wants to license Battle.net as a Networking engine within their network of companies, or beyond (e.g. Frostbite). It would make sense to call it "Blizzard tech" as the name implies a platform built on Blizzard's reputation, whereas Battle.net sounds more like a service.

This makes a lot of sense and seems to be the most likely case.

Sep 22, 2016, 07:49
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 07:49
Sep 22, 2016, 07:49

This is rather dumb. Blizzard.Net would have been a better pick if they wanted to insert their direct naming into it, and they already own the domain, they just aren't using it for anything.

No subject
Sep 22, 2016, 06:56
No subject Sep 22, 2016, 06:56
Sep 22, 2016, 06:56

Luke wrote on Sep 21, 2016, 19:04:
Facebook infested shit...no thx Book

Yeah my thoughts exactly. FYI Blizz, the real name policy didn't work the first time. Doing this isn't going to work except with any segment that's too stupid to see what you're doing.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 22, 2016, 02:19
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 02:19
Sep 22, 2016, 02:19

They should have gone with the first option, "Activision Slaves".

Sep 22, 2016, 02:09
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 02:09
Sep 22, 2016, 02:09

I see a lot of Blizz hate from people that probably haven't been paying attention to all the new stuff that has come out. The latest Heroes map is awesome and the game is an absolute blast to play.

New Overwatch map is pretty good and overall the new competitive mode makes the game a lot more fun to play. It definitely feels a lot better than it did in beta.

New WoW expansion is fucking awesome. It's hard to believe that they were able to breath fresh air into such an old game to the point that it's about the only game I've played all month long. The amount of content and systems in this expansion is absolutely mind-boggling and it's all tied up into a cohesive experience, especially in the end game when world quests open up.

Some of their staple employees may have left, sure, but I doubt Blizz is going to put out anything that isn't of superior game quality in the future. And I look forward to the games made by the few that went off to start the own projects (hopefully none of those projects turn out to be as much of a headache as Wildstar). Been playing Blizz games since the original Warcraft and I really don't care what they call Battle.net... as long as they add support into their program for older games, especially one's I still play like Warcraft 3 (which recently got a multiplayer overhaul).

Sep 22, 2016, 01:36
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 01:36
Sep 22, 2016, 01:36

nin wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 01:05:

It was rumored years ago that Activision wanted to use b.net as it's own competitor to steam. Never seemed to materialize, though...

I guess they were making games instead , like diablo 3, Warcraft 3.... you know, games with "3" in their name...

valve..?

Sep 22, 2016, 01:05
nin
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 01:05
Sep 22, 2016, 01:05
nin

Kxmode wrote on Sep 21, 2016, 22:56:
Perhaps Activision wants to license Battle.net as a Networking engine within their network of companies, or beyond (e.g. Frostbite). It would make sense to call it "Blizzard tech" as the name implies a platform built on Blizzard's reputation, whereas Battle.net sounds more like a service.

Sep 22, 2016, 00:08
El Pit

Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 00:08
Sep 22, 2016, 00:08
 El Pit

battle.net becomes... Blizz.Krieg

Send me my paycheck, ActiBlizz!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 22, 2016, 00:03
Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 22, 2016, 00:03
Sep 22, 2016, 00:03

How much do you want to bet that Bobby Kotick, the money-grubbing CEO of Activision, is pushing this? Kind of funny that 3 bigwigs at Blizzard all left just prior to this announcement. I suspect a lot of people at Blizzard might not be happy with changes like this either.

PS - If they force Facebook integration to play their games, I'm done with Blizzard.

Sep 21, 2016, 23:17
Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 21, 2016, 23:17
Sep 21, 2016, 23:17

I know most folks on Bluesnews can't be bothered to click a link before commenting, but can they at least be bothered to read the article blurb before commenting?

Battle.net technology will continue to serve as the central nervous system for Blizzard games—nothing is changing in that regard. We’ll just be referring to it as Blizzard tech instead.

Given that built-in multiplayer support is a well-understood concept and more of a normal expectation these days, there isn’t as much of a need to maintain a separate identity for what is essentially our networking technology.

Note that they refer to "Battle.net technology" and how it will now be referred to as "Blizzard tech", i.e. their backend tech stack will no longer have its own branding. They're dropping the discrete branding for their backend tech stack, not rebranding as something else. If the backend tech stack needs to be referred to, it'll be referred to as "Blizzard tech", but not as part of an orchestrated branding effort for what in 2016 is just a standard part of an online game.

Reading is hard, I guess.

As for me, I'm sad to see the Battle.net branding go -- I still remember getting my Diablo 1 box with the "Play Online with Battle.net!" sticker in the corner -- but Blizzard is right: Battle.net isn't a product differentiator like it was in 1996, it's just an expected part of a modern video game and doesn't need its own marketing push.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2016, 23:32.

Sep 21, 2016, 22:56
Kxmode

Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 21, 2016, 22:56
Sep 21, 2016, 22:56
 Kxmode

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older