Cossacks 3 Released

Cossacks 3 is now available on Steam for Windows. This latest installment in GSC Game World's strategy series is a remake of the original Cossacks: European Wars, offering a modern take on the game's large-scale battles. This post outlines changes in the launch version, and a another post has details on the game's first update enabling multiplayer support. Here's the launch trailer and here's word:
This remake of the classic game, that originally launched in 2000, contains all of the elements that distinguish the successful Cossacks games and combines them with contemporary 3D-graphics. Cossacks 3 provides the player with infinite tactical options, including not only the construction of buildings, the production of raw materials, but also the broad selection of various units and the influence of the landscape.

Twelve nations, 70 different unit types, 100 research opportunities, and over 140 different historical buildings are available to the player. Besides the battles ashore, players can build an armada and attack their enemies at sea. Cossacks 3 offers five historic single player-campaigns and up to eight players can fight each other in multiplayer-mode on one map. The player can forge alliances with or against others as well as challenge the computer. Randomly generated maps provide endless variations and can be adapted to the gamer’s needs.

View : : :
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Cossacks 3 Released
Sep 22, 2016, 08:07
Re: Cossacks 3 Released Sep 22, 2016, 08:07
Sep 22, 2016, 08:07

It sure has that old school vibe. I think it might just be the OG Cossacks, in 3d. Not a bad thing but it's missing some of the cooler aspects of the sequels, but it's also a lot more accessible. It would be nice if the drummers for each formation sounded like they were doing something, the oars on ferries actually rowed and the upgrades had some imagination like the old Ensemble/Blizzard games but that's all little shit and I'll give them a pass because it's 20 bucks.

It's a bit bare bones (No in game key list/rebinding function I can see) and a bit crashy. The loco job feels very Eastern European as well, bless them.

And the trailer is a bit bullshit, it doesn't let you zoom out that far. Not far enough to be honest. The formation function is fiddly and not as awesome as Empire/Napoleon either so unless I'm missing something it's still mostly blob vs blob.

I was really annoyed I couldn't get the older games to work properly on my current machine, so this partially fixes that. And hopefully at the cheap price the devs will keep patching, improving and maybe working in some more modern UI stuff from Supcom/Total War to make it control like a dream (Would be nice to have the function from TW where you can hold space bar and see where your units are going to finish up and how they are getting there). If you are hankering for that late 90's early 2000's RTS vibe but in 3D HD it's quite well done.

It's had one patch since I got it last night and another hours away so there is hope it will be where it needs to be for some planned epic comp-stomp with the family by the weekend.

Also, this kind of enthusiastic english as a second language stuff is great, though it could use a bit of toning down in the game itself.

We will release a new patch in the evening
Dear friends, by the today's evening we will release a big patch
after which many of your problems will be gone forever!
We understand that caused a lot of dissatisfaction with the fact that the game has a very disturbing live bugs, but we'll do everything possible to ensure that very soon you have rejoiced product without any complaints.
Please wait for the evening news!

Sep 21, 2016, 14:38
Re: Cossacks 3 Released Sep 21, 2016, 14:38
Sep 21, 2016, 14:38

Woah, that came out of nowhere. I love the first game to bits but I don't have access to my main gaming rig to try this out.

Oh well, I'll just put it on my wishlist.
Now we donce.

Sep 21, 2016, 13:51
Re: Cossacks 3 Released Sep 21, 2016, 13:51
Sep 21, 2016, 13:51

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 21, 2016, 11:08:
Lots of mixed reviews about this one. I've watched Jaguar's video, he wasn't pleased.

I specifically did not like some of the game balance decisions (like making a third barracks extremely expensive, narrowing the gap that a economically-superior opponent can have) and the slow pace (lots of waiting for units and resources to slowly accumulate). I can definitely see where other people would like it if those two things don't bother you.

Sep 21, 2016, 11:08
Re: Cossacks 3 Released Sep 21, 2016, 11:08
Sep 21, 2016, 11:08

Lots of mixed reviews about this one. I've watched Jaguar's video, he wasn't pleased.
Some other youtubers I follow like Saucy Network liked it a lot.
Would be nice to have a demo to try.
Steam: SpectralMeat
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older