27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Sep 16, 2016, 13:46
Verno

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2016, 13:46
Sep 16, 2016, 13:46
 Verno

Yeah agreed, I would just get an Elgato or Hauppauge card so that you aren't tied down to Nvidia. I'm sorry its affected a few people but I just can't get very worked up over this personally. I fed it an old email account and moved on with my life.
Playing: Trials of Mana Remake, FF7R
Watching: Into the Light

Sep 16, 2016, 00:23
NKD
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2016, 00:23
Sep 16, 2016, 00:23
NKD

Or you can use a capture card in your old PC and not be beholden to NVIDIA to get acceptable capturing performance.
"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

Sep 15, 2016, 22:03
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 22:03
Sep 15, 2016, 22:03

Redmask wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 07:27:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 23:40:
This is incorrect. Only Shadowplay allows you to use integral hardware in your GPU for recording that has a drastically smaller performance impact than any other recording software out there. NvENC (their hardware x264 encoder) is the only portion that other recording software can use, but the greatest performance gains come from NvFBC and NvIFR, which are not available in anything besides this program, that now requires a login and cannot be used offline to record gameplay after this update. It's ridiculous.

Oh please, you had to try really hard to summon up that outrage and consult wikipedia about encoders. Who fucking cares. You can still get drivers for your card, shadowplay is fucking optional shit and machines are incredibly powerful these days, you will do just fine having 2 frames per second less in performance because you used OBS instead of Shadowplay.

No one is making anyone login, if you want optional features that took them money and time to develop then you can use a throwaway fucking email and do it. Yet again not seeing the forest for the trees, go look at the data collection policies in GeForce Experience, that's some shit that actually matters.

Yes, they are making people log in. I used GFE and Shadowplay last fucking month without logging in. I paid $650 for a top of the line GPU, which nvidia profits from and funds their r&d and new feature additions. I use Shadowplay for single player game recordings sometimes, and guess what? If my internet goes down now I simply won't be able to use it at all. There are no mental backflips you can pull to justify that.

And this isn't 'summoned outrage from wikipedia consultation', the knowledge I have of why Shadowplay performs as well as it does comes straight from the developer of Rivatuner, who had convinced me that it is indeed superior to any other gameplay recording software out there because of the reasons I stated, but even without the reasoning, simple benchmarking could reveal the performance difference as well.

Last time I benchmarked the performance difference myself, I got this result:

Without Shadowplay enabled: 156.10 fps ( 6.41 ms/f) 20.544 fps variability

With Shadowplay enabled: 154.80 fps ( 6.46 ms/f) 20.225 fps variability

With Twitch streaming via Shadowplay enabled: 154.36 fps ( 6.48 ms/f) 20.112 fps variability

There is not a chance in hell you will be able to show me a recording software that comes even close to that level of performance.

Again, I know this stuff because I researched it years ago when I first wanted to capture footage. It is one of the core reasons I stuck with nVidia for GPU purchases, and I took the time to benchmark it with every new GPU I've had that supports it, just to see how the performance has improved. On my current 980ti that represents a less than 1% performance impact.

So yeah, this core reason that I bought my card *IS* now making me login, and is flat out un-usable if I don't have an internet connection.

If that does not effect you at all, then kindly fuck off and go direct your misguided rants about something that does. For me, it matters.

Sep 15, 2016, 16:55
Slick

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 16:55
Sep 15, 2016, 16:55
 Slick

Redmask wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 07:27:
This is incorrect. Only Shadowplay allows you to use integral hardware in your GPU for recording that has a drastically smaller performance impact than any other recording software out there. NvENC (their hardware x264 encoder) is the only portion that other recording software can use, but the greatest performance gains come from NvFBC and NvIFR, which are not available in anything besides this program, that now requires a login and cannot be used offline to record gameplay after this update. It's ridiculous.

Oh please, you had to try really hard to summon up that outrage and consult wikipedia about encoders. Who fucking cares. You can still get drivers for your card, shadowplay is fucking optional shit and machines are incredibly powerful these days, you will do just fine having 2 frames per second less in performance because you used OBS instead of Shadowplay.

No one is making anyone login, if you want optional features that took them money and time to develop then you can use a throwaway fucking email and do it. Yet again not seeing the forest for the trees, go look at the data collection policies in GeForce Experience, that's some shit that actually matters.

WHOA WHOA WHOA

Why the hell are you throwing a hissy fit because he was able to articulate the actual reason he's upset.

The encoders are HARDWARE, not optional software. It's literally part of the physical graphic card we bought.

It's like if you own a sound card, and it has some wikkid "BASS BOOST XTREME" hardware technology in it, and that's why you bought it. But it can only be activated through their software. Then one day they flip a switch and you have to login to a service that datamines you to share with other marketing bodies to be able to use the hardware feature for the thing you already bought.

This is quasi-draconian. And the exact same reason people were outraged with Win10.

And no , it's NOT that big of a deal to log in with a fake account, but did you miss the part where you need to deal with advertisements? I run adblock for a reason. when Win10 has a pop-up on the side of the screen DURING A FUCKING MOVIE that I should "upgrade to office 365!" I want to go all Elvis and shoot my screen.

At least with Windows 10 people pretty much knew what they were getting into, they had a year to decide weather to upgrade or not. With this nVidia stunt, they're changing the rules AFTER people have already plunked down (in my case $1000) money on their hardware, it's kinda hard to "downgrade".

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Sep 15, 2016, 15:17
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 15:17
Sep 15, 2016, 15:17

I've always/still download GeForce Drivers from Nvidia w/o any login, do a custom install and choose the minimum (Graphics Driver and PhysX System Software only), uncheck the rest of the bloatware, and walla!

Regardless, it is pretty much a moot point with all the other information that is gathered by a lot of other devices/software everyone uses: Google, Apple, Microsoft (whipping boy), Creative, etc. etc.

Granted, you can be conscientious of what you're installing, settings, what you're agreeing to, etc., but living in this day and age, there is going to be data collection one way or another.

Please pass the beer nuts......

Sep 15, 2016, 09:34
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 09:34
Sep 15, 2016, 09:34

Everything comes at a cost.
No one is forcing anyone to use it.
Thanks for the information on performance, you are correct, every drop of speed counts.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Sep 15, 2016, 09:18
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 09:18
Sep 15, 2016, 09:18

Has shadowplay added the ability to hide the mouse cursor yet? I mean, it's only been two years since people have been asking for it.

Sep 15, 2016, 08:41
Verno

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 08:41
Sep 15, 2016, 08:41
 Verno

NKD wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 00:02:
Who cares. Its a thing I'll log into once and then probably neverhave to log in again for like 2-4 years when I build a new rig.

I'm certainly not going to cut off my nose to spite my face and buy some underperforming AMD space heater.

Yeah I don't really understand the big deal. Companies have been forcing me to have a login for the past 10 years. Geforce Experience is just bloatware anyway according to the internet. I checked their site last night and you could still download drivers without GFE so much ado about nothing.
Playing: Trials of Mana Remake, FF7R
Watching: Into the Light

Sep 15, 2016, 07:32
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 07:32
Sep 15, 2016, 07:32

thecakeisalie wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 05:59:
Corporations, especially large ones, don't care about ethics, just profit.
We know that already. Doesnt change the fact, that this behaviour isnt correct.

Sep 15, 2016, 07:27
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 07:27
Sep 15, 2016, 07:27

Sep 15, 2016, 05:59
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 05:59
Sep 15, 2016, 05:59

LittleMe wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 00:29:
Suppa7 wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 00:16:
LOL videogamers and the masses taught apple and the likes of valve that you guys will pay for locked down shit that has spyware installed. Do you not see the corporate world being jealous of google, steam and apple with their walled gardens and being able to 100% spy on everything you do?

There's a clear distinction here. I allowed Steam that privilege. I didn't allow nVidia that. They retroactively changed their product offering without my consent and disabled advertised features if I didn't submit. They require a software audit for something that in no way should require one (gameplay recording). That's unethical.

Corporations, especially large ones, don't care about ethics, just profit. As long as it's (even questionably) legal and sometimes even if it isn't as long as they think the risk of being sued/fined is worth it, they'll lube you up and bend you over to get that extra pound of flesh.

Sep 15, 2016, 05:14
Slick

Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 05:14
Sep 15, 2016, 05:14
 Slick

LittleMe wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 00:29:
LOL videogamers and the masses taught apple and the likes of valve that you guys will pay for locked down shit that has spyware installed. Do you not see the corporate world being jealous of google, steam and apple with their walled gardens and being able to 100% spy on everything you do?

There's a clear distinction here. I allowed Steam that privilege. I didn't allow nVidia that. They retroactively changed their product offering without my consent and disabled advertised features if I didn't submit. They require a software audit for something that in no way should require one (gameplay recording). That's unethical.

+1
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Sep 15, 2016, 05:06
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 05:06
Sep 15, 2016, 05:06

Luke wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 04:35:
Well instead of saying like MANY people have and are saying : If you don't wanna use it then don't , and there by accept all that shit compagnies throw at us , maybe we could have been without this shit , next login / pay for update....fucking Clown

Speak English man!
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Sep 15, 2016, 05:05
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 05:05
Sep 15, 2016, 05:05

NKD wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 00:02:
Who cares. Its a thing I'll log into once and then probably neverhave to log in again for like 2-4 years when I build a new rig.

I'm certainly not going to cut off my nose to spite my face and buy some underperforming AMD space heater.

Live in a warm climate, eh?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Sep 15, 2016, 05:03
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 05:03
Sep 15, 2016, 05:03

LittleMe wrote on Sep 15, 2016, 00:01:
Creston wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 19:15:
So Nvidia can mine your shit and sell it to marketers, I'd imagine?

This! What's next? Our motherboards will require a login and spy on us for marketing reasons so that advertised features will function?

This is a violation of good business practice I'm sure of that!

I used shadowplay for recording gameplay. For me also it was the reason I bought nVidia cards. Now shadowplay 2.x will not even work. nVidia retroactively disabled it (it won't re-enable now with a full driver reinstall). 3.0 requires a system audit and they will sell that information. It's very creepy and I don't want their bullshit audit. What I have on my PC is none of their fucking business.

So now I can't record any gameplay. They've resorted an audit extortion so that I can record. "We demand to audit your PC, lest you won't be able to record gameplay."

We live in an oligarchy. The function of the populace is to serve as hosts for the corporate parasites. This has been empirically shown:

"The central point that emerges from our research is that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy," they write, "while mass-based interest groups and average citizens have little or no independent influence."

Sep 15, 2016, 04:35
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 04:35
Sep 15, 2016, 04:35

This! What's next? Our motherboards will require a login and spy on us for marketing reasons so that advertised features will function?

I used shadowplay for recording gameplay. For me also it was the reason I bought nVidia cards. Now shadowplay 2.x will not even work. nVidia retroactively disabled it (it won't re-enable now with a full driver reinstall). 3.0 requires a system audit and they will sell that information. It's very creepy and I don't want their bullshit audit. What I have on my PC is none of their fucking business.

So now I can't record any gameplay. They've resorted an audit extortion so that I can record. "We demand to audit your PC, lest you won't be able to record gameplay."

Well instead of saying like MANY people have and are saying : If you don't wanna use it then don't , and there by accept all that shit compagnies throw at us , maybe we could have been without this shit , next login / pay for update....fucking Clown

Sep 15, 2016, 00:29
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 00:29
Sep 15, 2016, 00:29

Perpetual debt is slavery.

Sep 15, 2016, 00:16
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 00:16
Sep 15, 2016, 00:16

Sep 15, 2016, 00:02
NKD
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 00:02
Sep 15, 2016, 00:02
NKD

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

Sep 15, 2016, 00:01
Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 15, 2016, 00:01
Sep 15, 2016, 00:01

Perpetual debt is slavery.
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older