Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Into the Black

Link of the Day: Westworld "Dreams" trailer. Thanks io9 via Neutronbeam.
View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 14:40 nin

Leper wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 14:36:
While I agree this looks like they're pulling out all of the stops, I think I might be a bit disappointed at the setting. The West was super popular back in the early 70s when the original debuted, but much less so these days. I wish they'd chosen a setting that is more popular. Perhaps Medieval World, given the popularity of GoT. Or some kind of Futureworld.

I suppose it could be argued "The West hasn't been done in a while!" And doing The West is probably cheaper than other options, like the Future. Still I can't help feeling like this was a missed opportunity. Roaring20s World would have been awesome.

I'm not that familiar with the material, but is it possible that they could switch worlds? Maybe that would be too gimmicky.

You mean like a Futureworld?

Check out The Thirteenth Floor, if you haven't. Great b-movie that sort of ties into this "what is reality?"... (no trailers or reading, half the fun is figuring out the twist)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 14:36 Leper

While I agree this looks like they're pulling out all of the stops, I think I might be a bit disappointed at the setting. The West was super popular back in the early 70s when the original debuted, but much less so these days. I wish they'd chosen a setting that is more popular. Perhaps Medieval World, given the popularity of GoT. Or some kind of Futureworld.

I suppose it could be argued "The West hasn't been done in a while!" And doing The West is probably cheaper than other options, like the Future. Still I can't help feeling like this was a missed opportunity. Roaring20s World would have been awesome.

I'm not that familiar with the material, but is it possible that they could switch worlds? Maybe that would be too gimmicky.

11. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 09:40 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 21:50:
HBO seems to have a lock on creating good series...

It helps if you don't have to care about the FCC and all its stifling regulations.

That said, we're absolutely inundated with great TV shows right now. (and have been for the past five years or so) I can't even imagine how someone could follow all of them.

10. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 09:33 VaranDragon

Watched the original recently and damn is Yul Brinner awesome or what? They don't make actors like that anymore

Looking forward to this.

9. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 05:04 jdreyer

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 20:53:
Good god, this thing can't possibly meet my expectations...it just looks so utterly fantastic.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 04:49 bigspender

The trailer piqued my interest, but it looks a bit contrived. I'll give it a go, but there is something off about it.  

7. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 00:19 Acleacius

Oh, I thought ERW was only allowed to wear dual 6 guns, didn't know there was going to be clothing involved! Mwahaha  

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: Into the Black Sep 14, 2016, 00:17 1badmf

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 20:53:
Good god, this thing can't possibly meet my expectations...it just looks so utterly fantastic.

Jar Jar Abrams is one of the lead producers. he'll find a way to mangle the storytelling.

5. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2016, 21:58 RedEye9

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 21:50:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 21:22:
I'm getting wet where I pee just thinking about this series.
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

This series looks insanely good, but DON'T MIX UNIVERSES.

HBO seems to have a lock on creating good series... it's been awhile since I've even watched anything they made that wasn't in the good to great range.
I watched Westworld recently, it holds up well.
I'm looking forward to another Blade Runner movie and the next Alien-Prometheus film and Galaxy of the Guardians 2 and DeadPool 2 and...

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2016, 10:16.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

4. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2016, 21:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 21:22:

This series looks insanely good, but DON'T MIX UNIVERSES.

HBO seems to have a lock on creating good series... it's been awhile since I've even watched anything they made that wasn't in the good to great range.

3. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2016, 21:22 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

2. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2016, 21:14 Cutter

Hah! That's funny! Soon as I saw the title I immediately thought of Roy Orbison. Tben I immediately flashed on that weird goddamned scene from Blue Velvet. Goddamn, I hate David Lynch! Goddamn I love Westworld though.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

1. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2016, 20:53 nin

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >