DOOM Update Plans

A new free update is coming this month to DOOM, adding new features to the new installment in the shooter series. There are details on the plan on Bethesda.net. The patch will add a free-for-all deathmatch mode among other things, and they offer this trailer showing off the kind of action this will include. This will be followed by a livestream on September 13th showing off even more of what to expect. Here's word:
Deathmatch brings free-for-all mayhem to DOOM’s fast-paced multiplayer, and arrives as part of Free Update 3 this month. Private Matches are also coming in that update, allowing you and your friends to create private multiplayer matches where you determine the maps and modes. You’ll also be able to adjust settings like the time limit, score limit, or turning demons and power weapon off or on. Plus, you’ll see a sneak peek of Arcade Mode, an upcoming competitive addition to the game’s critically acclaimed campaign mode, set to arrive in a future free update this fall.

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: DOOM Update Plans
Sep 12, 2016, 05:12
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 12, 2016, 05:12
Sep 12, 2016, 05:12

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2016, 23:02:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 05:23:
Very forgettable game.
Felt like a stereotypical console game with its crappy controls and mechanics. Even the singleplayer was not that great, because of the typical console stuff. Doing the same things over and over again, pinata-mobs, non-interactive surroundings, forced upgrades that shouldnt be there at all in that way, since it felt like you only got what other games give you from the start, and that god damn hand-holding to find your way through the levels, AKA green beacons that show you where you need to go. Oh yeah, and not being able to switch task... really... I know its a Bethesda game that always have issues with that, but seriously, this is 2016...

Crappy controls? DOOM controlled great. It felt like Q3 multiplayer, only in SP. Piniata mobs? Did you play on Easy or something? Enemies have plenty of health and do plenty of damage on the highest difficulty setting. Non-interactive environments? You mean, aside from the plentiful amount of secrets that can only be found by exploring the levels and interacting with them?

I swear, people will bitch about everything these days. DOOM is in no way a stereotypical console game. What other console shooters play like DOOM? It's run 'n gun instead of cover-based, has a ton of verticality and speed, has health and armor pickups instead of health/shield regen, lets you carry every weapon at the same time, rewards weapon switching, has levels with tons of secrets that aren't easy to find, has powerups, etc.

The multiplayer is a waste of time but the SP is great. Are there some concessions for accessibility and broader appeal? Sure. The execution system does make the game easier but it also keeps the pace up so you focus more on killing and less on running away so you can find health pickups. What's sad is that a lot of people act like they want a straight-up remake of the original Doom but if that actually happened, they would just complain that it's more of the same. Remember the RoTT remake? 'nuff said.

Yes, shitty controls. AKA predefined animations that cant be cancelled or manipulated in any way, huge hitboxes of mobs, autoaim for ledges in jumps, predefined jumping spots, even though you can jump high enough to reach others easily, etc.
Yes, pinata mobs. AKA the mobs that break up and give you tons of candy, AKA ammo and health, when you hit them or saw them in half.
Yes, non-interactive environment. AKA stuff that doesnt break or move when you hit it, is just there to be pretty. Couldnt even flush a toilet. There were no physics. Not even explosions worked properly to blow mobs back, prolly because of that stupid pinata stuff, not to mention lack of rocket jump.

I swear some people have no idea what the other guy is talking about, yet feel the urge to spew out BS and just invent accusations just for the heck of it.

And no, I dont want a remake of it. I want a game that uses todays possibilities and is not held back by weak consoles and their shitty controllers. If I want the original I can play the dozens of remakes.
I want something new, improved. But that was just a generic console shooter that people like you think was a PC game because it was a little faster than usual and threw more mobs at you.

Yeah, totally not a console game. At least P2P tell you something? Lack of LAN support? Forced achievements? But its nothing new that people have forgotten how real PC games are, after we mostly get console ports anymore.

Oh and I forgot something: The music. Doom was also very popular because of its music. I remember them saying they would have a new awesome soundtrack that will continue there where the original let off. I really was excited about that, slaughtering mobs while a nice typical Doom soundtrack is playing, gives you goosebumps. But thats not even music you hear most of the time, plus its always the same repeated crap.
Yeah, the "music" reacts very well to things happening in the game, and changes accordingly, but its still just a few tracks. I cant even say what genre it is. Dubstep? Not sure, maybe a few samples. Metal? Maybe a few accords. Its just some made up crap with random sounds.

Oh and maybe you remember me being excited while other people here already said "its going to be crap". I praised and defended it against the trolls actually, because it simply looked very promising.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2016, 05:21.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Sep 11, 2016, 23:02
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 11, 2016, 23:02
Sep 11, 2016, 23:02

Very forgettable game.
Felt like a stereotypical console game with its crappy controls and mechanics. Even the singleplayer was not that great, because of the typical console stuff. Doing the same things over and over again, pinata-mobs, non-interactive surroundings, forced upgrades that shouldnt be there at all in that way, since it felt like you only got what other games give you from the start, and that god damn hand-holding to find your way through the levels, AKA green beacons that show you where you need to go. Oh yeah, and not being able to switch task... really... I know its a Bethesda game that always have issues with that, but seriously, this is 2016...

Crappy controls? DOOM controlled great. It felt like Q3 multiplayer, only in SP. Piniata mobs? Did you play on Easy or something? Enemies have plenty of health and do plenty of damage on the highest difficulty setting. Non-interactive environments? You mean, aside from the plentiful amount of secrets that can only be found by exploring the levels and interacting with them?

I swear, people will bitch about everything these days. DOOM is in no way a stereotypical console game. What other console shooters play like DOOM? It's run 'n gun instead of cover-based, has a ton of verticality and speed, has health and armor pickups instead of health/shield regen, lets you carry every weapon at the same time, rewards weapon switching, has levels with tons of secrets that aren't easy to find, has powerups, etc.

The multiplayer is a waste of time but the SP is great. Are there some concessions for accessibility and broader appeal? Sure. The execution system does make the game easier but it also keeps the pace up so you focus more on killing and less on running away so you can find health pickups. What's sad is that a lot of people act like they want a straight-up remake of the original Doom but if that actually happened, they would just complain that it's more of the same. Remember the RoTT remake? 'nuff said.

Sep 10, 2016, 14:46
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 14:46
Sep 10, 2016, 14:46

Jivaro wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 13:06:
I loved the single player, although I do have yet to actually finish it...

You should stick with it... Unlike Doom3, the SP is actually worth finishing.
The later levels get more frantic, with more enemies and it feels more like DOOM.

Sep 10, 2016, 13:06
Jivaro

Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 13:06
Sep 10, 2016, 13:06
 Jivaro

JediPunisher wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 13:59:
Fantastic single-player campaign... but dying every 10 to 20 seconds is not my idea of fun multi-player.

This and the bots demand are the same two things I think about this game. I loved the single player, although I do have yet to actually finish it, but the multiplayer just doesn't feel right. I can see what they were trying to do, with regards to blending old Doom and Quake feel into the gameplay, but the genre and the industry have moved so far past the movement limitations of those classic games that I think they didn't embrace enough of the "new". I am not sure if that makes sense..but it made sense in my head..lol

As for the bots...I don't even know why they bothered to launch without them. Most games have them in some form and the ones that don't always get trashed for it and either take the negative points in their reviews or add them later. It feels like we have gotten to a point where that (bots) isn't an optional feature anymore, or shouldn't be. *shrug*

I am sure there are folks that don't see the point, if for no other reason than bots are never as good as real people. If they were worse than 50% of the player base I might understand that reasoning but in my experience it feels like modern FPS deathmatch AI is better than at least half of the player base in most games. So yes, at some point you will outgrow the bots and they will be able to offer nothing to your skill....but you have to get better then a huge portion of the player base before that happens. That makes sense in my head.

I bought the game on Day one and have enjoyed it tremendously, it's just too bad that when I do finish the campaign that will probably be the end of the game for me. I can't see choosing this over Overwatch for my daily online shooter fix. I wasn't blown away by Battlefield 1 either, quite the opposite, so for the time being it looks like Overwatch will be my Shooter of the Day for some time.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2016, 13:14.

Sep 10, 2016, 09:52
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 09:52
Sep 10, 2016, 09:52

The multiplayer is so laughably bad in this game that I'm surprised they didnt just scrap any future updates and focus on the single player. Does not bode well for Quake Champions at all, that the current shot-callers at iD/Bethesda consider this passable multiplayer.

Sep 10, 2016, 09:19
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 09:19
Sep 10, 2016, 09:19

Very forgettable game.

Yeah, they tried to say they where going old school remake to justify certain decisions but, like you're saying it's 2016. Didn't play on the lowest difficult level and I still finished the game easily despite forgetting that I had a BFG. Was using the chainsaw cause I kept running out of ammo close to the end. Remembered the BFG at the end of the last level when trying to eliminate the last two big green dudes with a pistol. Also realized that grenades regenerated and that one type even transferred health to you from the enemies. Anyways, my mistakes kept it interesting.

The speed and volume of enemies reminded me of real deathmatch so I really enjoyed it despite the obvious issues that you've pointed out.

Only bought the base game and don't plan on trying MP without a server browser. My patience for cr@ppy online experiences hit it limit. If the can't include basics that were in UT99 or Quake3 don't bother adding multiplayer. Must be a reason Overwatch is now talking high bandwidth etc. which confirms that I did right to skip it due to lack of basic modern features from the 90s.

Yeah, Im old and annoyed that I have to play the old modern warfare for Deathmatch and BF4 for a semi-decent team experience.

Sep 10, 2016, 08:50
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 08:50
Sep 10, 2016, 08:50

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 10, 2016, 03:52:
Dedicated Servers with Ping counters (for fucks sake) or GTFO!

Glad I'm not the only one!

Sep 10, 2016, 05:23
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 05:23
Sep 10, 2016, 05:23

Very forgettable game.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Sep 10, 2016, 03:52
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 10, 2016, 03:52
Sep 10, 2016, 03:52

Dedicated Servers with Ping counters (for fucks sake) or GTFO!

Sep 9, 2016, 20:03
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 20:03
Sep 9, 2016, 20:03

They will have failed hard if none of their season pass stuff is singleplayer. I know this is not part of that, but I think that is their plan.

Sep 9, 2016, 17:29
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 17:29
Sep 9, 2016, 17:29

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 11:21:
Bots, bots! Hurry up with the bots!

Amen to that. Omnicron bots now. Oh man, the old days.

Sep 9, 2016, 16:29
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 16:29
Sep 9, 2016, 16:29

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:50:
JediPunisher wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:44:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:18:
then git gud bro!!
Doom's MP is too shallow to warrant the time to git gud.
That's if dooms mp was any gud in the first place.

Gud point.

Sep 9, 2016, 14:50
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 14:50
Sep 9, 2016, 14:50

JediPunisher wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 14:44:
then git gud bro!!
That's if dooms mp was any gud in the first place.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Sep 9, 2016, 14:44
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 14:44
Sep 9, 2016, 14:44

then git gud bro!!

Sep 9, 2016, 14:20
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 14:20
Sep 9, 2016, 14:20

Too late for me, I've moved on.

Sep 9, 2016, 14:18
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 14:18
Sep 9, 2016, 14:18

JediPunisher wrote on Sep 9, 2016, 13:59:
but dying every 10 to 20 seconds is not my idea of fun multi-player.

then git gud bro!!

Sep 9, 2016, 13:59
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 13:59
Sep 9, 2016, 13:59

Fantastic single-player campaign... but dying every 10 to 20 seconds is not my idea of fun multi-player.

Sep 9, 2016, 11:21
nin

Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 11:21
Sep 9, 2016, 11:21
 nin

Bots, bots! Hurry up with the bots!

Sep 9, 2016, 10:53
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 10:53
Sep 9, 2016, 10:53

The rampant unaddressed cheating drove most of us off. Hopefully the private servers will help fix that.

Sep 9, 2016, 10:49
Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 10:49
Sep 9, 2016, 10:49

I just want a mod of all the original levels, for nostalgia sake.

I mean a real re-imagination, not a cut and paste of the current game's assets from snapmap to "sort of" resemble the original levels.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older