ARK Expansion Follow-up

The ARK Community Forums have a post following the recent announcement of plans for an ARK: Survival Evolved expansion (thanks GameSpot). This upset some customers of the game itself, since it remains an early access title. Here's a bit:
We'd also like to provide our official take on the Scorched Earth Expansion Pack, and the future of ARK. Put simply: we are absolutely committed to driving aggressive development towards a solid, feature-robust game launch for ARK: Survival Evolved. Everyone at Wildcard wakes up every day thinking about how we can make ARK into a better game today than it was the day before. It’s not always easy, but our intent is ever-forward progress towards a retail release that will be far more ambitious in scope and features than our original vision when we launched ARK into Steam Early Access in June 2015. Your feedback enables us to continually expand the game to become better than ever!

Scorched Earth: Our original vision for ARK always included the creation of Expansion ARKs, along with the infrastructure and technical systems to transfer data dynamically between live ARKs. We determined that it is more sound to iterate on these systems during Early Access than after retail launch, given the significant risks involved if we didn't "get it right". While that meant unveiling the first Expansion early, it also means an easier time integrating further post-launch Expansions into the ARK network. We understand that this isn't everyone's cup of tea, and we appreciate the enjoyment people seem to be getting out of this initial view of how Expansion ARKs can work. Now that we have the systems in place to support them, we can ensure minimal integration issues with subsequent releases after ARK: Survival Evolved itself has launched.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up
Sep 7, 2016, 13:41
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 7, 2016, 13:41
Sep 7, 2016, 13:41

Quboid wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 10:57:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 04:44:
That lawsuit shit is crazy. Dude leaves his company to start a new company. His wife stays at old company. He poaches employees, and violates non-compete clause, so she sues him and they settle for $40M? Which he actually had since Ark has been selling like hotcakes?

It's nuts. Are they still married?

EDIT: the dude sounds like a total douche.

Susan Stieglitz is a co-founder of Studio Wildcard, the company coincidentally (*ahem*) formed about the time he left Trendy. AFAIK she never worked at Trendy.

Ah, thanks. I guess I got things mixed up reading the story, that they both worked for Trendy and Jeremy left to found Wildcard. Never mind then. It's just a run of the mill non-compete case then, without the family drama.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Sep 7, 2016, 10:57
Quboid

Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 7, 2016, 10:57
Sep 7, 2016, 10:57
 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2016, 04:44:
That lawsuit shit is crazy. Dude leaves his company to start a new company. His wife stays at old company. He poaches employees, and violates non-compete clause, so she sues him and they settle for $40M? Which he actually had since Ark has been selling like hotcakes?

Susan Stieglitz is a co-founder of Studio Wildcard, the company coincidentally (*ahem*) formed about the time he left Trendy. AFAIK she never worked at Trendy.

Sep 7, 2016, 07:39
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 7, 2016, 07:39
Sep 7, 2016, 07:39

Angrius Maximis wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 18:52:
Pay 60 bucks for unfinished piece of shit game No Mans Sky people throw their money at it

Pay 20 bucks for a DLC for a game with 13x the content of NMS and people go ape shit. Gamers are idiots

No, you're an idiot because you think this has anything to do with No Man's Sky.

Sep 7, 2016, 07:23
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 7, 2016, 07:23
Sep 7, 2016, 07:23

justice7 wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 10:37:
i think most of the hate for this game is completely unfounded. It's easily one of the best survival games, period. Tweak your graphics options, you CAN run this game well.

Problem is, running well does not do anything to solve the myriad of other problems with game balance, world geometry, janky PvP (once free - now not), janky building interface, and endless server lag issues.

Instead of polishing the turd, they just keep sprinkling more corn on it. And now the corn costs an extra $20.

Sep 7, 2016, 04:44
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 7, 2016, 04:44
Sep 7, 2016, 04:44

"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Sep 6, 2016, 20:29
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 20:29
Sep 6, 2016, 20:29

I think there is a bit of confusion as to why people are going 'ape shit'.

It isn't that they released an expansion. It's because they released an expansion while the base game is still in dire need of optimization and bug fixing, which they are allowed to get away with because of being 'Early Access'. As another poster mentioned, if they would stop adding new things and simply FIX the things needed to be fixed so that the game could be moved out of EA status, there wouldn't be this big of an outcry.

Another minor reason is because they are not willing to admit they released this content because they settled on a multi-million dollar suit.

tl;dr

Fix the game first and admit the cash grab, problem solved.

Sep 6, 2016, 18:52
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 18:52
Sep 6, 2016, 18:52

Pay 60 bucks for unfinished piece of shit game No Mans Sky people throw their money at it

Pay 20 bucks for a DLC for a game with 13x the content of NMS and people go ape shit. Gamers are idiots

Sep 6, 2016, 18:33
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 18:33
Sep 6, 2016, 18:33

There's a boatload of difference between the two.

1. There's likely a fuckton more people who own ARK given its low price point.

2. ARK hasn't raised 100 million bucks and gone off the rails from what it originally promised.

3. ARK added everything they really needed to a long time ago already. Had they stopped then and started bug fixing and optimizing the game would be done and people would be happy. They could then add all the crap they want to their hearts content. Instead they've been fucking around with all manner of stuff, added an arena mode and now paid DLC and the game is still an unfinished mess. And now they're probably just going to half ass it so they can call it done and move on.

4. SC on the other hand is more akin to a marketing scam than an actual game being developed. Most of us aren't losing our shit on SC because we weren't dumb enough to give CR dime one to begin with. However that's mitigated by the fact that we were dumb enough to give these dickbags money and no one likes feeling like a sucker, particularly when it comes to money.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Sep 6, 2016, 18:26
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 18:26
Sep 6, 2016, 18:26

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 16:29:
http://techraptor.net/content/ark-survival-evolved-dev-apologises-for-calling-players-cheap

I had bought the expansion but I hadn't played it yet. Then I saw some articles like the one you linked. I got a refund from Steam, the devs are assholes.

Sep 6, 2016, 18:22
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 18:22
Sep 6, 2016, 18:22

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 17:13:
Gibbage wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 15:48:
Why can't more people be like meeee and only lose their shit about the same things that I lose my shit about!

FTFY

P.S: *Vastly* more people have been "losing their shit" about Star Citizen than this Ark debacle.

Probably because Ark is a mostly finished game that's a bit buggy while Star Citizen has released a few unconnected bits of alpha modules. People can see that Ark just needs to do a bit of polishing, and the game is done, whereas it's hard to see Star Citizen ever being finished.

Sep 6, 2016, 17:13
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 17:13
Sep 6, 2016, 17:13

Why can't more people be like meeee and only lose their shit about the same things that I lose my shit about!

FTFY

P.S: *Vastly* more people have been "losing their shit" about Star Citizen than this Ark debacle.

Sep 6, 2016, 16:29
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 16:29
Sep 6, 2016, 16:29

Sep 6, 2016, 15:59
Verno

Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 15:59
Sep 6, 2016, 15:59
 Verno

Make a $20 expansion to an unfinished game, people loose their shit. Make a $1500 space ship for a game in alpha thats 4 years late, and thats cool. Ill never understand the gaming community.

Err are you crazy? Plenty of people are losing their shit about Star Citizen, like every topic that pops up related to it is a total cluster fuck. Also just because people bought this doesn't mean they bought Star Citizen and vice versa. Expecting people to express outrage equally is kind of silly, especially because they might not even be aware of both.

4 years between comments is a good run BTW, kudos on that
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Sep 6, 2016, 15:48
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 15:48
Sep 6, 2016, 15:48

Make a $20 expansion to an unfinished game, people loose their shit. Make a $1500 space ship for a game in alpha thats 4 years late, and thats cool. Ill never understand the gaming community.

Sep 6, 2016, 14:06
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 14:06
Sep 6, 2016, 14:06

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 13:44:
Not to mention that shit like this splits up the community even before launch,

Oh yeah not directly this, but that is another reason I don't like long EA games...

Then when you buy the final release you find out many have long come and gone because they played the shit out of it already. Yeah that is a concern of mine.

Sep 6, 2016, 13:44
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 13:44
Sep 6, 2016, 13:44

What a load of bullshit. If you wanted to test this functionality you could easily release a companion ARK to the people who have supported you through early access to test it instead of charging the same or more than many paid for the base game for a small expansion.

They are literally funding the developer's $40,000,000 fuck-up/settlement with his old employer by gouging their user base with this early-access paid DLC shit. Not to mention that shit like this splits up the community even before launch, creating inaccessible servers that are behind a paywall, where if you see a friend playing you are more inclined to bite the bullet and pay the toll troll.

Sep 6, 2016, 13:39
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 13:39
Sep 6, 2016, 13:39

LarryLaffer wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 11:31:
I've had more fun playing this game in the past four days than I've had on any other finished retail game this generation.

Game is as good as finished for me.

Laffman

To me that is why there are two sides...

User controlled persistent server survival games are fun! To me they are the replacement for the boring MMO scene. LET ME REPEAT: USER CONTROLLED SERVERS!!! You know the thing we've fought and lost in the FPS world many years ago, we had that and now we don't for the most part.

I get the "don't support this trend"
I don't like EA games taking forever.
I'm not a fan of EA games with paid DLC.

But there are many that have poured 100's of fun hours into these types of games that aren't made by top publishers (wasn't Epic or someone working on one?), the game for $25 has paid for itself over and over and more content just adds to the fun in which I'm sure they'll get 100's of more hours. So the $$$ to fun ration if very high in this genre. Because you may not be swept up by one, you are basically jumping into someone else fun business and telling them how things are to be done. Not a fan of that.

My main thing I want from these games is to get out of EA so they have to maintain Save and Mod compatibility. To often it's a start over again from scratch with saves and if you are modding, a total redo as the old things don't work. This gets tiresome.

I get both sides, but I also can't argue with those that have and will continue to have massive hours of satisfaction.

I personally love the genre, just wished the one's I want to play were final. I've requested to finalize their games and simply make a version 2 available in a couple years with the new stuff.

Sep 6, 2016, 13:28
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 13:28
Sep 6, 2016, 13:28

You had a $40 million lawsuit to settle, and now you need money. We're onto you WC!

If they were serious about listening to feedback they would have made the expansion cheaper, reward your fan base by making the expansion 20% off, not the game itself (which the fans obviously already have).

Still waiting for the DirectX12 update that was promised last year!

Sep 6, 2016, 13:03
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 13:03
Sep 6, 2016, 13:03

justice7 wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 10:37:
i think most of the hate for this game is completely unfounded. It's easily one of the best survival games, period. Tweak your graphics options, you CAN run this game well.

Wear blinders much?

Sep 6, 2016, 13:00
Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 13:00
Sep 6, 2016, 13:00

Such complete gobbledygook, every person with an ounce of intelligence has knows this game was released last year. That anyone allows them to continue this pre-release lie is just laughable.

What is even more disturbing is instead of fixing the bugs in the client of which there are many, they instead added paid dlc.

I am done supporting these yahoo's and told the kids forget the dlc and anything else coming down the line. They will never get one more cent from me.

Anyone supporting these nutjobs is out in la la land.
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older