Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

This morning I noticed what seemed like excessive disk thrashing while I was in the mood to investigate. This is apparently not new, as it looks like I made the mistake of offering to help Microsoft with a Compatibility update for Windows 7. This seems somehow related to the whole shove Win10 down everyone's throat program by checking to see just how compatible your system is every single day. Because...? I've got nothing. Anyway, I shut down the offending process, so now I'll just have to live with some uncertainty about the Windows compatibility of my Windows. This thread has the details on what I encountered.

R.I.P.: Legendary 747 designer Sutter dies age 95. Thanks Slashdot via Ant.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Warp Drive.
Link: James Gunn is Sick of You Asking Where the 'Goddamn' Guardians 2 Trailer Is. Thanks nin.
Science: New opioid douses pain without being addictive or deadly in primates.
Media: 1 Scientifically Proven Thing Actually Makes People Happier.
IFA 2016 LG - LG OLED tunnel. Thanks HARDOCP.
Garbage dispute.
The Funnies: Emushies - FoxTrot.
Bill Amend bonus comic on Twitter.
View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2016, 13:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

Quick warning: Spybot Antibeacon has not been updated in quite some time... I suspect it no longer functions correctly (or possibly, at all) for Windows 10 especially.

Certainly a bit buggy in Windows 7, seems to work relatively bug free in Windows 8.1.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2016, 12:05 RedEye9

Retired wrote on Sep 5, 2016, 07:50:
nin wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 20:25:
Nimh wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 16:00:
Remove telemetry and Win10 KB's from win7/8.. https://gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9

Spybot Antibeacon also works in win7 and 8 now.

I use GWX Control Panel to keep that Win10 garbage off of my machine.

GWX Control Panel is no longer needed and was not in the same category as AntiBeacon and other programs like it.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2016, 07:50 Retired

nin wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 20:25:
Remove telemetry and Win10 KB's from win7/8.. https://gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9

I use GWX Control Panel to keep that Win10 garbage off of my machine.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2016, 07:50 Retired

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 16:38:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 15:18:
New opioid douses pain without being addictive or deadly in primates.

That's cool.

Now where's my non-addictive opioid that gets just gets people high and is legal? Let's invent that and undercut the trade in cocaine and heroin.

That really is huge. As someone who did a lot of drugs in the past I was always greatful I never had an addictive personality for any of them...with the sole exception of morphia. Did it twice, the first time as pain relief after an accident, and the second just to try it as is. I liked it way too much and was terrified of ever going near it again because I saw just how easy it would be to get hooked on it. I really hope this works out because it would be a major game changer for all humanity.

I have 4 surgeries over the last 1.5 years, and was put on serious drugs after each one. I quickly (and foolishly) took myself off of them to fast, ended up being in a lot of pain. The comfort the opioids gave was needed for me to heal and do therapy, but holy hell. I can see why people get stuck on those things!

Coming off of them was a BITCH! The body does really weird things when it wants a drug.....it is no longer a mystery to me why people abuse the hell out of those things. Body felt like I was 16 again, no pain anywhere. But I like to poop, so glad I no longer need them.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 20:25 nin

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 17:56 1badmf

Pigeon wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 15:20:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 14:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 13:17:
The whole Windows 10 debacle just keeps getting better. Microsoft is the worst thing to ever happen to the PC gaming.

Fixed that for ya.

It does seem as though MS is being extra shitty lately. The heavy handed upgrade to 10 campaign, the on-going problems with windows update for vista/7/8, and continued efforts to try and force people into the cortana, xbox, MS experience that nobody asked for or wants. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more tech article calling them out. Even the outrage over the 10 upgrade campaigned seemed tame considering they resorted to out right trickery to get people to update.

On the topic of the scientifically proven happiness thing, that was a major reason for not moving out of my apartment recently. My daily commute is only 15 minutes, and while it's still full of morons who shouldn't be driving, it's only 15 minutes of morons who shouldn't be driving.

seriously, i think it's surprisingly illuminating how much you can tell about a person by the way they drive, and if you drive more than, say, a mile a day, you will unfailingly run into some asshole who drives like the worst humanity has to offer. every. god damn. day.

what really grinds my gears is the obliviously selfish types, who don't give a fuck about the rules of the road and do what they want no matter what. 55 in a 65 zone in the fast lane of a 4 lane highway with 10 cars lined up behind you? don't give a fuck. nobody in front or behind me for a quarter mile, and dude could wait the extra 2 seconds to let me pass before merging? don't give a fuck. people really suck on the road.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 16:38 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 15:18:

That's cool.

Now where's my non-addictive opioid that gets just gets people high and is legal? Let's invent that and undercut the trade in cocaine and heroin.

That really is huge. As someone who did a lot of drugs in the past I was always greatful I never had an addictive personality for any of them...with the sole exception of morphia. Did it twice, the first time as pain relief after an accident, and the second just to try it as is. I liked it way too much and was terrified of ever going near it again because I saw just how easy it would be to get hooked on it. I really hope this works out because it would be a major game changer for all humanity.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 16:00 Nimh

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 15:20 Pigeon

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 4, 2016, 14:22:
The whole Windows 10 debacle just keeps getting better. Microsoft is the worst thing to ever happen to the PC gaming.

Fixed that for ya.

It does seem as though MS is being extra shitty lately. The heavy handed upgrade to 10 campaign, the on-going problems with windows update for vista/7/8, and continued efforts to try and force people into the cortana, xbox, MS experience that nobody asked for or wants. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more tech article calling them out. Even the outrage over the 10 upgrade campaigned seemed tame considering they resorted to out right trickery to get people to update.

On the topic of the scientifically proven happiness thing, that was a major reason for not moving out of my apartment recently. My daily commute is only 15 minutes, and while it's still full of morons who shouldn't be driving, it's only 15 minutes of morons who shouldn't be driving.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 15:19 jdreyer

This morning I noticed what seemed like excessive disk thrashing while I was in the mood to investigate. This is apparently not new, as it looks like it made the mistake of offering to help Microsoft with a Compatibility update for Windows 7. This seems somehow related to the whole shove Win10 down everyone's throat program by checking to see just how compatible your system is every single day.

That's some quality QA there Microsoft. Yeah...

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 15:18 jdreyer

That's cool.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 14:52 Cutter

Forgot that college ball had started this weekend. Watched some last night. Think I'll check out the Notre Dame game tonight.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 14:22 VaranDragon

Fixed that for ya.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 13:20 nin

James Gunn is Sick of You Asking Where the 'Goddamn' Guardians 2 Trailer Is.

I was laughing so hard when I read that...his bother had the perfect shot and took it.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2016, 13:17 RedEye9

The whole Windows 10 debacle just keeps getting better. Microsoft is the worst thing to ever happen to pc gaming.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >