Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Morning Crowdfunding Roundup

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 30, 2016, 20:20 Tom

The history of tech is littered with the corpses of those who dreamed big with their head in the clouds, dabbling in things that seem like they could be great but in reality have various practical down-to-earth low-level problems that need to be addressed.

It takes a substantial level of compromise and discipline to reign in scope and ambition and do the hard, un-sexy work needed to make something REAL. Something that functions in the real world and does its job the way people expect it to.

At some point the rubber has to meet the road. Someone's got to roll up their sleeves and make it happen. If you watch any of this guy's videos and pay attention to his thought processes, you can tell it's not his way. He's an idea guy, a dreamer, not a practical get-it-done guy.

He should've recognized this weakness and teamed up with the right person (or people) to complement his skills. But for whatever reasons, he persisted on going it alone. Hopefully others will learn from this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 30, 2016, 20:15 Rigs

SlimRam wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 19:41:
Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 15:22:
I had honestly totally forgotten about Limit Theory. Ah well.
Last I heard the guy had some kinda mental breakdown and had backed away from the game for a bit but then got back into it. It honestly sounds like he needs help finishing it (or just needs *cough*...help). It's awesome sounding, just don't know if it'll ever happen.

He had gotten a local grant from a small biz association and opened his own office in a industrial/office park, either after or during his breakdown. He took some time off, after putting 80 hour weeks on the game, just himself. Now he seems to have taken a little bit of a more casual work regimen. That article basically says this and nothing else. ...oh, and that, duh!, backers might be a little impatient from having to wait so long on a game they funded. That article doesn't need to exist. In any event, I'm sure he's still working on it.

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 30, 2016, 19:41 SlimRam

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 15:22:
Last I heard the guy had some kinda mental breakdown and had backed away from the game for a bit but then got back into it. It honestly sounds like he needs help finishing it (or just needs *cough*...help). It's awesome sounding, just don't know if it'll ever happen.

1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 30, 2016, 15:22 Creston

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >