Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

PlayStation Now Coming to PCs

The PlayStation.Blog announces PlayStation Now is coming to Windows PCs. This will bring formerly PlayStation-exclusive titles when it launches in Europe soon and North America "shortly thereafter." It will also be supported by a new DualShock 4 USB wireless adaptor. Here's word:

We’re excited to announce that PlayStation Now is making the jump to Windows PC. The app launches overseas in parts of Europe soon and will come to North America shortly thereafter.

This will bring a wide selection of PlayStation exclusive titles to Windows PC for the very first time, including entries in the Uncharted, God of War, and Ratchet & Clank franchises, as well as beloved PS3 games like The Last of Us and Journey. Current subscribers have a new way to access PS Now’s library of over 400 games, and the PC app provides a new way for even more gamers to discover and play the service.

We’re also introducing a new device, the DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor, which launches in early September for a suggested retail price of $24.99. This adaptor will let you connect a DualShock 4 to PC and Mac wirelessly, and will enable every feature of the controller you know and love: buttons, analog sticks, touch pad, light bar, motion sensors, vibration, and stereo headset jack – as long as the gaming application supports these features.

The adaptor is a great match for playing PS Now on a computer, but you can also use it for PS4 Remote Play on PC and Mac. If you haven’t yet downloaded Remote Play on your PC or Mac, grab the installer here. Of course, owning the USB Wireless Adaptor isn’t required, as you can connect a DualShock 4 using a USB cable.

Here are the recommended specs for running PS Now on your PC:

• Windows 7 (SP1), 8.1 or 10
  • 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 or 3.8 GHz AMD A10 or faster
  • 300 MB or more; 2 GB or more of RAM
  • Sound card; USB port

A minimum 5Mbps connection is required to use PS Now on any device. We recommend a wired Internet connection for the optimal experience.
We’ll be in touch to confirm the exact launch date of the PlayStation Now Windows PC app in North America, and stay tuned for some exciting games that will be added to the library.

For more info on PS Now, including the full library of games, visit: PSNow.com

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 24, 2016, 01:10 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 23:37:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 18:58:
That is not how a port is defined. It's a stream from a server running the same exact game as playable on the playstation into your computer. It is the original game.

A port is when the game is internally reworked to run directly on a device different than it was originally programmed/intended for.

So by definition, streaming stuff over Gaikai is a port, even before you consider what device it's getting streamed to. I doubt Gaikai has 25000 PS3s sitting there with discs in them, each streaming to a single customer.

The very act of turning the PS3 game into something capable of being streamed from their servers would turn it into a port, n'est ce pas?

By this logic would you call a ROM a port then? It's just a rip from the original medium of the same exact code, similar to taking the image off a disk and putting it on a server. Gaikai/PS Now is just the streaming service that is used to play it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 23:37 Creston

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 18:58:
That is not how a port is defined. It's a stream from a server running the same exact game as playable on the playstation into your computer. It is the original game.

A port is when the game is internally reworked to run directly on a device different than it was originally programmed/intended for.

So by definition, streaming stuff over Gaikai is a port, even before you consider what device it's getting streamed to. I doubt Gaikai has 25000 PS3s sitting there with discs in them, each streaming to a single customer.

The very act of turning the PS3 game into something capable of being streamed from their servers would turn it into a port, n'est ce pas?

27. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 23:34 Creston

Five years (?) after Gaikai and OnLive tried to foist their shitty service off on PC gamers and we basically all said "take your shit elsewhere", Sony tries to foist literally the exact same shit off on us under the name PlayStation Now.

Rejoice, all ye PC brethren?

26. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 20:40 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:32:
OK, so Im curious about this. How dos it work or will it work? If you own current titles you can play them on the PC?

For PS4 titles you already own, you're obviously better off just playing them on the feckin' console or check the fourth paragraph of the article which refers you to Remote Play... well, unless this shit happens:

• Some games do not support Remote Play.

• It's very nice and forward-looking of Sony, of course, to not provide a list of supported games of any sort. Great thinking.

25. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 20:29 CJ_Parker

Simon Says wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:47:
    Even if you didn't notice the lag, doesn't mean it isn't there or that it isn't noticeable.

wat???

24. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 20:12 bigspender

do these streaming services have much input lag ?  

23. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 20:00 bhcompy

Primalchrome wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 18:39:
    Very interested in the DS4 adapter, I'd really like to have seamless usage on a PC. I had high hopes for the Steam controller, but the DS4 just hits everything so well...

All that said, I'm not interested in a monthly sub to play...

Yea, this is big, and I wonder if it will work outside of the Playstation Now software. I'd love to have that device work for Steam games

22. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 19:44 commonperson

Darks wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:32:
    OK, so Im curious about this. How dos it work or will it work? If you own current titles you can play them on the PC?

No you can not, you need a membership to the streaming service which allows you to stream the games. It used to be you had to rent each game individually but that did so poorly they moved to a more Netflix like model where you can play the game streaming it from their server without buying it individually. The service was pretty sketchy when I used it, it may have improved. This is their answer to Microsoft working on backwards compatibility and it's a pretty shoddy one.

21. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 19:08 Cutter

Yeah, it's just a streaming service. So you'll need to buy the adapter, the controller, and pay a sub and possibly more per game. Ummm no thanks.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

20. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 18:58 Mordecai Walfish

Simon Says wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:47:

Is it essentially the PS version on an internet stream? If yes, there isn't any work done on it to accommodate PCs, therefore its a port, a shitty port.

Sony can tell itself any fairy tale it wants, its not the same as giving PC gamers a PC game. Especially not when its gonna guzzle that bandwidth cap with compression artifacts and unavoidable additional input lag. Even if you didn't notice the lag, doesn't mean it isn't there or that it isn't noticeable.

Sony can tell itself any fairy tale it wants, its not the same as giving PC gamers a PC game. Especially not when its gonna guzzle that bandwidth cap with compression artifacts and unavoidable additional input lag. Even if you didn't notice the lag, doesn't mean it isn't there or that it isn't noticeable.

Also, if you care about input lag, it should be a no-brainer that wireless or streaming *anything* is something you want to avoid.

This is made for people who never owned a console and want to play some of their exclusives, which may or may not ever be properly ported over to the PC. In that regard, it's pretty cool they are opening up to a competing MS platform with cross system/pc play and also allowing some of the core experiences that would otherwise require someone to buy one of their consoles, to be played on the PC.

If the wireless adapter is decent I might pick one up.. but I'm really hoping they release a proper xinput driver for the DS4 so I can avoid having to use x360ce or inputmapper for that. Native support is long overdue.

19. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 18:39 Primalchrome

Very interested in the DS4 adapter, I'd really like to have seamless usage on a PC. I had high hopes for the Steam controller, but the DS4 just hits everything so well...

All that said, I'm not interested in a monthly sub to play...

18. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 18:26 007Bistromath

This would almost be a good idea if they collect usage stats to figure out which games should get ports.

Almost. To actually be one, they also have to sign a contract with the devil to fix the US's broken as shit internet situation. Stable 5Mbps ain't happening for the vast majority of us.

17. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 18:02 Acleacius

Lmao, what...no actual game we can buy on Steam? Middlefinger  
    Stop. Lose all scripted responses. Improvisation only.

16. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 17:42 DangerDog

Streaming service, the artifacting from compression might actually help alias the graphics.

Don't expect anything that requires twitch movement to be all that satisfying.

To access a few exclusives it might be worth a one time three month subscription, or you could just buy a used ps3 from ebay/craigslist that usually comes with a couple of the exclusive games.

15. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 17:28 MattyC

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:55:
    MattyC wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:35:
    Jagacademy wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:55:
    nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:50:
    Simon Says wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:45:
    Peeps... notice... no GPU needed, I suspect a streamed lag fest. Forget about textures and co. This is as shitty port'ish as it can get.

It's not a port, it's streaming, AKA Gaikai:

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-game-streaming-service-playstation-now-1496385001

You just said exactly what he did.

Obviously I have never played around with this and when I played with Steam streaming it was for all of about 20 minutes, but I streamed Red Orchestra to some ancient laptop and it ran great and was very playable.

Also how would a stream be in any way comparable to a port?

Really?

I tried streaming A Wolf Among Us to an HP Stream (essentially a tablet in a laptop form factor, with full Windows 7) and it was stuttering garbage.

The only game I have tried so far was RO, but I could try some others.

The only version of Wolf I have is on the One from when it was one of that months free games though, so I can't try that.

14. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 17:15 loomy

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:55:

I tried streaming A Wolf Among Us to an HP Stream (essentially a tablet in a laptop form factor, with full Windows 7) and it was stuttering garbage.

that usually happens when your network sucks

13. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 16:55 Beamer

Peeps... notice... no GPU needed, I suspect a streamed lag fest. Forget about textures and co. This is as shitty port'ish as it can get.

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-game-streaming-service-playstation-now-1496385001

Obviously I have never played around with this and when I played with Steam streaming it was for all of about 20 minutes, but I streamed Red Orchestra to some ancient laptop and it ran great and was very playable.

Really?

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 16:49 HorrorScope

No GPU needed, just something called a sound card. Yeah, no K/m conversion at all, most likely it will require a PS gamepad, no?

But yes I use a masterrace system to stream other systems games, cuz it makes sense.

11. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 16:47 Simon Says

Is it essentially the PS version on an internet stream? If yes, there isn't any work done on it to accommodate PCs, therefore its a port, a shitty port.

10. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 16:35 MattyC

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo