Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue fell in love with a piece of art being disposed of by her workplace. The bad news is that company policy had them put this up for auction. The good news was our minimum bid won it for less than it would have cost to frame the piece. The weird news is we drove over an hour into New Jersey only to find a coworker had done her the favor of picking this up for us. They discussed this previously, and she told him not to, but he confused things. This was pretty aggravating, especially when we got caught in a rubbernecking traffic jam on the way home. Oh well, they say that art requires sacrifices.

Sacrificial Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Fury Road.
Stories: Rio says 'adeus e obrigado' to Olympic Games.
Tokyo's Super Mario surprise was Rio Closing Ceremony’s wildest moment.
Science: NASA's Curiosity rover captures 360-degree panorama of Mars.
Media: We Broke: No Man's Sky. NSFW.
JOB SIMULATOR: CHEF - VR HTC Vive (Teens React- Gaming).
View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 14:28 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 08:46:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 05:27:
Blue wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 16:36:

No, he did us the "favor" of picking it up for us. Without us knowing he would do so, which is crazy, and caused our wasted trip. She got it from him at work today.

Serenity now!

There are these devices called "cell phones." Quite magical, really. They allow you to communicate with other human beings across 1000s of miles at the touch of a few buttons. Most even support video chat even, so you can confirm with others the exact piece of art one is buying for someone else. Do these not exist in the land of New Jersey? Perhaps the fat ruler of said land has throttled their sale, for spite? As he did the bridge traffic into New York for several days once.

Cell phones, huh? I'll have to check into those. In this case we used this preceding technology called a conversation.

Dude from work: I'm going to the auction place. I can pick up your painting for you.

MrsBlue: No thanks, I think we're picking it up ourselves. If I change my mind I'll let you know.

Well, yeah, I meant for HIM to call you if he was going to change the plan. You guys were clear about things from the start. Sorry, didn't mean my comment to be interpreted the other way. Why he didn't just call you guys from the auction boggles the mind.

As for this "face-to-face conversation" tech. What is this, the 1920s?

This couple on dreyerdaughter's sports team were dating. After practice they'd sneak off. I used to jog around the park where she'd practice, and I'd see the couple "hiding" under a tree. Back in the day, I know what I'D have been doing: snogging. Instead they would stand under the tree, not touching, not talking, both of them on their cell phones. For like an hour.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 12:05 Kxmode

Blue wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 08:46:

No, he did us the "favor" of picking it up for us. Without us knowing he would do so, which is crazy, and caused our wasted trip. She got it from him at work today.

Serenity now!

There are these devices called "cell phones." Quite magical, really. They allow you to communicate with other human beings across 1000s of miles at the touch of a few buttons. Most even support video chat even, so you can confirm with others the exact piece of art one is buying for someone else. Do these not exist in the land of New Jersey? Perhaps the fat ruler of said land has throttled their sale, for spite? As he did the bridge traffic into New York for several days once.

Cell phones, huh? I'll have to check into those. In this case we used this preceding technology called a conversation.

Dude from work: I'm going to the auction place. I can pick up your painting for you.

MrsBlue: No thanks, I think we're picking it up ourselves. If I change my mind I'll let you know.

Maybe his comprehension is something like the Star Trek Next Generation episode Darmok.

"No thanks, I think we're picking it up ourselves." = "Zinda, his face black, his eyes red"
"If I change my mind I'll let you know." = "Temba, his arms wide"

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 12:01 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 05:05:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 11:16:
After 43 hours I finally got to the center of No Man's Sky and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm livid. I'll put the reasons why here: Sean Murray pitched the center of the universe as the end-game goal. After 43 hours I got the center, and nothing happened. My reward was being deposited on a planet in another galaxy with all of my stuff broken. So the "universe" is a galaxy and there's an infinite number of galaxies. Oh, but wait, it's getting better! The galaxy code is stored in binary hex where 00 is the starting galaxy, and FF is the 255th galaxy. After you reach the 255th galaxy, the game's procedural engine breaks. So yeah, the game has no ending. Sean Murray said the game is infinite, but it's not because the procedural engine breaks. lol. NMS is a total joke.

Not gonna read, since I intend to pick this up at some point, but am gonna point out that you got 43 hours out of the game. Sounds like decent bang for the buck.

My complaint isn't about the game but the ending, which is what I hide and you didn't read. I won't spoil it for you.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 08:59  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 08:52:
This painting can't possibly meet my expectations, at this point.

Haha. If there is a real demand I'll post a picture (I can probably find it listed online). It's a very wide (three panels) painting of some chickens and geese. So no, there's no way for it to live up to anything. I actually like it a lot though.

The weird thing is it may be more of a thing than it seems. We paid $100 for a 30 year-old painting. The artist is still alive and her new work all sells for thousands of dollars. I think the auction was too obscure for anyone to notice.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 08:52 nin

This painting can't possibly meet my expectations, at this point.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 08:46  Blue 

Serenity now!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 07:19 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 05:17:
Sounded like you were still enjoying NMS the other day...
So was Angry Joe.. that's the main problem it seems. The idea is good, the foundation is there, but the depth is not. AJ said something like, "This game has the scope of an entire ocean but the depth of a sidewalk puddle."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 05:42 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 23:48:
I KNOW what it means, she had/has no clue.

Here's what to say:

"You know how when guys wake up in the morning, they REALLY have to go to the bathroom? And that makes their wieners stand up? The symbol is based on that: Amazon promises to get you your package with the same urgency with which you need to use the bathroom after a night of heavy drinking."

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 05:27 jdreyer

Serenity now!

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 05:19 jdreyer

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 13:24:
It brings up an interesting point. If someone says they played for 20+ hours and it was "horrible" was it really that bad?

I do so lurv me the Steam reviews that give a negative thumbs down with 500 hours in-game. That always cracks me up.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 05:17 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 12:48:
After 43 hours I finally got to the center of No Man's Sky and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm livid. I'll put the reasons why here: Sean Murray pitched the center of the universe as the end-game goal. After 43 hours I got the center, and nothing happened. My reward was being deposited on a planet in another galaxy with all of my stuff broken. So the "universe" is a galaxy and there's an infinite number of galaxies. Oh, but wait, it's getting better! The galaxy code is stored in binary hex where 00 is the starting galaxy, and FF is the 255th galaxy. After you reach the 255th galaxy, the game's procedural engine breaks. So yeah, the game has no ending. Sean Murray said the game is infinite, but it's not because the procedural engine breaks. lol. NMS is a total joke.
Yup Angry Joe's review went up last night and it ain't pretty. Pretty much sums up what everyone's been screamin' about.

Sounded like you were still enjoying NMS the other day...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 05:08 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 11:28:
NASA's Curiosity rover captures 360-degree panorama of Mars.

I think an iPhone can take a better 360. Should have just attached an iPhone to the rover....

Not knowing S from shinola.....is there a reason we went to Mars? We knew nothing was there.....maybe go elsewhere? At this point just seems like nerds jerking it over some pics of dirt.

We know so little about Mars. Just think about all the things we're still learning about our own planet, and we live here! Mars is the easiest and cheapest to study due to proximity and climate.

Still it's true that I'd like to know more about some of the other planets, like Jupiter and Venus. Would love to have permenant probes floating in their atmosphere returning photos and data.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2016, 05:05 jdreyer

Not gonna read, since I intend to pick this up at some point, but am gonna point out that you got 43 hours out of the game. Sounds like decent bang for the buck.

IMO this game needs to bake for a couple more years.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 23:48 The Half Elf

I KNOW what it means, she had/has no clue.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 23:32 Kxmode

Quboid wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 22:29:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 21:36:
I need feedback.
A new employee asked me what the Amazon smile is on the side of all the boxes at work. I need a really GOOD response, because my 'It's a penis or a smile... I mean who wouldn't be smiling to get a box full of penis's" but I think that may be a little over the top, and I fseriously told her that I wasn't sure but I would find out for her.
It's my "Friday" so my brain is turned off till Thursday, so looking for some brainpower to come up with something clever. And at least a PG version and a R/X version

Do you mean the arrow on the Amazon logo? Supposedly it points from A to Z to indicate that Amazon stock everything.

^ This. It's just an arrow going from A to Z.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 23:31 1badmf

is she serious? does she really not know about amazon boxes?  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 22:29 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 21:36:
I need feedback.
A new employee asked me what the Amazon smile is on the side of all the boxes at work. I need a really GOOD response, because my 'It's a penis or a smile... I mean who wouldn't be smiling to get a box full of penis's" but I think that may be a little over the top, and I fseriously told her that I wasn't sure but I would find out for her.
It's my "Friday" so my brain is turned off till Thursday, so looking for some brainpower to come up with something clever. And at least a PG version and a R/X version

Do you mean the arrow on the Amazon logo? Supposedly it points from A to Z to indicate that Amazon stock everything.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 21:36 The Half Elf

I need feedback.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 20:06 RedEye9

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 15:12:
So why did you buy this game anyways? did you ride the hype train?
Not only did I ride the hype train, I rode that bitch all the way to pre-order worthless ship goodness.
I have been burned repeatedly by the that train. You would think I would learn.
I just don't understand what drives people to pre-order these hype games and expect other things?
I ask myself that same question, but "in for a penny, in for a pound" I always say. What most people give to charity in a year I gave to another much hyped game, but at least they are making Star Citizen. doh nvrmnd

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2016, 18:06 Kxmode

So why did you buy this game anyways? did you ride the hype train?

For the same reason that I put money into Star Citizen; only I got my money out of that project when I realized what Chris was doing. Sean Murray pitched a particular type of game with a certain kind of ending of which none of that happened. That's less on me and more on game devs who keep lying about what their game is. I didn't make No Man's Sky, and I certainly didn't pitch its features to the press. So you cannot fault me, the consumer, for buying the game on good faith based on Sean's word.

Let's put it this way if you saw Suicide Squad based on the trailers than congrats you rode the hype train. I didn't see Suicide Squad because I knew it would be garbage since it was overseen by the same team who did Superman v Batman. Am I going to fault you for seeing the film? No. Of course not. You were taken in by the trailers and information presented.

I just don't understand what drives people to pre-order these hype games and expect other things?

I wanted the starter ship, period.

Some people really like the tedious grind of this type, some people don't mind doing the exact same thing over and over, it's relaxing to them. So yes I do see this being entertaining for some people, but at the same time... you knew what this game would be.

You know it's very easy to say that now after the game has been out for more than a week. There are plenty of reviews and Youtube videos to provide the type of details you're hitting me with.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >