Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation

This video offers the Gamescom presentation for Star Citizen. Or as the tortuous description reads, "Here's the LIVE version excerpt of our upcoming game play demo from our Gamescom 2016 presentation." The clip runs a whopping 52 minutes, showing gameplay recorded live from the show stage. During the presentation, Chris Roberts says to expect version 2.5 of the early access space game next week. He also reveals that version 2.7 is expected by the end of September, and version 3.0 should come by the end of October.

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

86. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 06:45 jdreyer

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 23:11:
This "tech demo" was a stuttering mess during viewing... this is their controlled tech demo presentation and I noticed so much chop. What are they running these on? probably some very expensive rigs and it still looks like its having problems.

Also "what are these idiots cheering for?"
-Spaceship door opens up and ladder comes down.
-Open a really shitty version of eve online map also crappier than mass effect map.
-Cheering about particle effects on atmospheric entry
-Losing their shit on the co-pilot getting out and opening the back hatch.. would love to see this in a non-LAN scenario with 100 ms typical ping.
-Obvious issues with being able to not get into your space craft again due to clipping problems/landing problems.
-Tech demo showing "FIDELATEEEEEY" like any 24 person death match map of vehicle outside someone doing something inside.

Anyways, I will say the game LOOKS good. I would love to have this sort of interaction with a single player squadron 42.. you know what I wanted when I burned my 100$.

Anyways, pretty controlled demo that actually failed to make me think that this project is still going to finish with any semblance of what was promised.

Pretty sure the framerate issues had more to do with the fact the game was streaming live than the engine itself. That being said, I'm sure it still has to go through optimization iterations.

I agree, every time something mundane happened the CR zombies cheered. It was ridiculous. Even CR commented on it.

RE: getting back into the ship. Yeah, gotta do something about that. SHould have been able to haul yourself up, even if the ship landed on a slight incline and the ramp was higher than expected.

Agree we'll probably never see 100 systems. I said over a year ago that we'll be lucky to see 10 completed systems. Nothing I've seen so far has changed my mind. Hopefully SQ 42 fares better.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 06:24 headshot

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 02:23:
OK now that I have had time to watch the entire 01:35:24 presentation, I have even more seriously got to wonder about some of the reactions.

First, as I said before... it is very noticeable that they are tiptoeing around the issue of a true persistent and massively multiplayer environment. Seriously. Chris has effectively confirmed that there will be no other star system before 3.0 (while 3.0 is tentatively scheduled for the end of this year).
It will all be in the current Stanton system and some of what they had originally planned for Nyx will now actually be moved into Stanton to be able to deliver it sooner.

This in spite of his Gamescom 2015 claim that the "plan" is to release the "full PU" (his words) by the end of 2016.
You know... "full PU", which according to the $6 million stretch goal is 100 star systems "at launch". We are literally at LESS THAN 1% of that since Stanton is not even fucking finished and there isn't a SINGLE fucking gameplay system fully implemented!

So much for the credibility of a Mr. Roberts and a quick...

Reality check: They still have no instancing system/MMO basic mechanics. They still have no travel mechanics where you can travel with a ship and/or character from system to system. They have nothing at all in that regard. They also have zero gameplay systems finalized and/or working within a true MMO context.

All of this in spite of the fact that Tony Zurovec (Director of the Persistent Universe) promised us a "whole slew of other systems soon" in December 2015 or said that they would "by spring/summer [2016] just keep iteratively increasing, increasing, increasing that number of players and NPCs that you are going to put into a single instance".

Reality check: We're stuck with a single star system and a single instance with a 24 player max limit since early 2016. There has been absolutely no increase (and especially no "increasing, increasing, increasing" as per TonyZ's words) to anything in spring or summer whatsoever. No additional players/systems... nothing. at. all.

Feel free to keep cheering about the pretty graffix and the pretty ship JPEGs though. That's gonna be helping a lot. And please make sure to drop another grand on this game. I mean how can anyone not see how this is heading into the totoally right direction and making exactly the progress they have promised since launch or in the last 12 months?

as much could have been said when blizzard had been under the scrutiny of backers and had to constantly showcase the progress of world of warcraft.

these are different times now. a few years back you could make a game for years without ever showing anything and begin to tease it two years before the release and nobody would cry about this and that.

today a game like star citizen is crowdfunded and you just need to do all that showcasing of noteworthy accomplishments. that invokes the ire of naysayers or people who just want another direction. paired with the internet and the ability to loudly express your feelings: the hate on a game like SC.

84. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 05:26 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:56:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:13:
I think that you guys are too blinded by your emotions or previous investments to realize how amazing the tech in that demo was. There's never been anything done at a level close to this. If you want a full simulation of a space game, this is the real deal. They took no shortcuts. Don't reply to my comment about how you think this is a scam or all that endlessly repetitive noise. Just appreciate the tech.

What "tech" exactly are you referring to? The planetary atmospheric entry stuff? There have been videos on YT for years like this one here and many more.
You can also seamlessly land on planets across the 400bn star systems in Elite Dangerous until you have planets coming out your ass. It's nothing special.

Everything else has also been done in other games and much better than here. So what "tech" are you talking about exactly?

Unfortunately everything in Elite Dangerous is instanced, not seamless. I'm not even sure it's fully seamless in No man's sky, I cannot shake the feeling that they are cheating somewhere.
I think it's seamless in Rodina and maybe Evochron? But that's it.

83. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 00:56 CJ_Parker

ItBurn wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:13:
I think that you guys are too blinded by your emotions or previous investments to realize how amazing the tech in that demo was. There's never been anything done at a level close to this. If you want a full simulation of a space game, this is the real deal. They took no shortcuts. Don't reply to my comment about how you think this is a scam or all that endlessly repetitive noise. Just appreciate the tech.

What "tech" exactly are you referring to? The planetary atmospheric entry stuff? There have been videos on YT for years like this one here and many more.
You can also seamlessly land on planets across the 400bn star systems in Elite Dangerous until you have planets coming out your ass. It's nothing special.

Everything else has also been done in other games and much better than here. So what "tech" are you talking about exactly?

82. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 00:13 ItBurn

81. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 23:11 Tipsy McStagger

This "tech demo" was a stuttering mess during viewing... this is their controlled tech demo presentation and I noticed so much chop. What are they running these on? probably some very expensive rigs and it still looks like its having problems.

Also "what are these idiots cheering for?"
-Spaceship door opens up and ladder comes down.
-Open a really shitty version of eve online map also crappier than mass effect map.
-Cheering about particle effects on atmospheric entry
-Losing their shit on the co-pilot getting out and opening the back hatch.. would love to see this in a non-LAN scenario with 100 ms typical ping.
-Obvious issues with being able to not get into your space craft again due to clipping problems/landing problems.
-Tech demo showing "FIDELATEEEEEY" like any 24 person death match map of vehicle outside someone doing something inside.

Anyways, I will say the game LOOKS good. I would love to have this sort of interaction with a single player squadron 42.. you know what I wanted when I burned my 100$.

Anyways, pretty controlled demo that actually failed to make me think that this project is still going to finish with any semblance of what was promised.

80. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 21:56 NasWulf

Peeeling wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 20:58:

are you just typing to type? to sound like you know what's going on over at CIG? I'm guessing like most people who are not employed by CIG, you don't.

Lets break down the conference ... not just the small snippet video posted here on the forums ...

What they were showing in the demo was actual completed game play functionality from an upcoming release (2.7 or 3.0 or whatever they want to call it), you know actual content that you say they don't have or does not exist. The procedural planet Tech alone is worth the time it took to develop and it is exciting to think of the other game play systems that will be layered over top just that one system. Think of EvE: On-line with EVE: Valkyrie and DUST 514 all in one single game seamlessly working all in the same game space.

You claim that you don't see any sustainable content ecosystem but yet they have already demonstrated the different types of game play that you claim they don't do have, i.e. Space Combat, EVA Combat/Game Play, FPS Combat, Mission based gameplay, Market Commerce, E-Sorts of some sort (racing, some sort of tether ball), Open World PVP Combat (i.e Pirate sector combat) and so on. Some modern games can't even claim to have half those systems in place as finished products.

While it is true that CIG doesn't seem to have (again we don't really know what CIG has or doesn't have in its coffers, only the upper management is peeve to that information) WoW style funding they are still pushing the limits of PC gaming with what they do have, also WoW at release didn't have the content it now has 11 years later. WoW at release had what, 5 - 6 dungeons, 1 raid, sloppy PvP? Content takes time, money and resources to develop and CIG has really only just started.

You claim that we all just witnessed all the content CIG has in this demo and there is nothing to be seen in the next coming months, a claim based on? Ignorance? Internet Troll talk? Insider information?

It remains to be seen what CIG has for SC/SQ42 and these latest Tech demos/game play presentation looking extremely promising as far as pushing the PC in more immersive game play avenues.

A way of Life? Ummm no .. I would hope people don't claim computer games as a why of life, except maybe the e-sport community but even then that is more a job than a way of life. The people dropping a car payment on a game are well their own prerogative, if someone has the expendable funds to buy a picture of a star ship on a computer program, who the F are you or anyone for that matter better off to tell them? Just like JG Wenthworth use to say said, its your money .... use it how ever the F you want.

also remember like me you can get SC when it launches and receive the same ships, gear and game play for less cost than what people are dropping money on the game are now. They are paying the way for others to play the game later on for 1/3 the cost and receive the same game play. I think people conveniently forget that little tid bid.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2016, 22:19.

79. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 21:42 Vall Forran

As for the lack of dogfighting situations...I don't think that was the point. That's why they launched all of the separate modules. Arena Commander is your dogfight system, Persistent Universe is your mmo (now with clothing stores! yay?) where you get what I assume will be the Elite: Dangerous type of recycled missions. Supposedly the fps mod comes out next.

No Man's Sky has a neat procedural system...and that's about it. The inventory system designer needs to be killed. The system/galaxy map is the most useless thing I've ever seen.

78. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 21:08 Bundy

loomy wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 21:02:
Darks wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 14:46:
hes had 5 years to make this game so far.

Everything I've seen here No Mans Sky is already doing.

both of these points are strictly incorrect. the kickstarter ended late 2012, and everything in that demo was probably created since 2014. it took years just to create the studios to make the game

and of course NMS is nothing like this game, because NMS has a hundred features that star citizen does not, and vice versa

I don't think No Man's Sky even has missions. At least, nothing like this. Comparing the two games is pretty meaningless, like comparing Witcher and Minecraft.

77. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 21:02 loomy

hes had 5 years to make this game so far.

Everything I've seen here No Mans Sky is already doing.

both of these points are strictly incorrect. the kickstarter ended late 2012, and everything in that demo was probably created since 2014. it took years just to create the studios to make the game

and of course NMS is nothing like this game, because NMS has a hundred features that star citizen does not, and vice versa

76. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 20:58 Peeeling

NasWulf wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 15:43:
Peeeling wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 15:25:
Oh good lord you are SO wrong. Like, 180 degrees incorrect. What they have GOT is some content. And you just saw it. All of it. What they do not have in any meaningful sense are the systems to support the kind of game they're selling to people.

and this is the type of misinformation that fuels the so called haters ... you take snippets of video and talking point to draw false conclusions when in reality you don't know what you are taking about. Taking falsehoods as facts. i notice that happens a lot around here , not just in the SC treads ....

Well, let's suspend disbelief and suppose for a moment I do know what I'm talking about. Why, in that case, would I say what I did?

What kind of game is Star Citizen being sold as? The name sums it up neatly: it's intended as a way of life. Like World of Warcraft, only far more so. I mean, people are spending real-life car money on virtual starships here. That says 'long term investment' to me. You wouldn't drop that kind of cash and walk away happy from a CoD-length campaign, right?

So. We watch the video. Do we see any sign of a sustainable content ecosystem? Well, World of Warcraft has had many times the budget of SC pumped into it - what does THAT look like? Does WoW have bespoke facial capture and audio for every quest? Custom-built, fabulously detailed and textured environments? No. I think if we were going to choose, we'd say that this video errs much more towards the one-and-done, content-gulping CoD/Uncharted end of the scale. So we know straight away what's being shown here isn't sustainable. This isn't what your SC life is going to be like on a daily basis.

I mean, if you disagree, let's hear it. If you think it's feasible for a team with a fraction of WoW's budget to create a comparable schedule of content at vastly higher fidelity, you clearly have knowledge I do not.

Failing that, we reach the understanding that Star Citizen - as sold - is not a content-based game at all but a system-based game. Systems to generate vast amounts of content rapidly and efficiently. Systems to enable players to interact and create collaborative content. Open-ended progress. Is there ANY evidence of that here?

75. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 20:52 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 19:04:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 10:48:
This demo looked amazing. They're finally almost done with all the base features and can finally start content building. This technology is insane, absolutely insane. It might not look like it to a normal person though. Cannot wait to see what's next.

Oh good lord you are SO wrong. Like, 180 degrees incorrect. What they have GOT is some content. And you just saw it. All of it. What they do not have in any meaningful sense are the systems to support the kind of game they're selling to people.

I agree that there are systems that they still need to design, as they mentioned the star system nav map and the AI populating the cities need to be improved/added. However, they seem much further along on the game systems than they do the content. They have one out of one hundred system nearly complete. That's 1%. And we've seen a grand total one one mission, out of potentially thousands.

I'd be interested in hearing why you think it's the opposite case.

Everything they have shown is still happening in a single instance with a 24 player max limit and the demo was obviously played by only a handful of people in a local Gigabit LAN.

So how are they having most of the systems finished? Do you know how MMOs work? Doesn't seem like it to me.
The actual hard part of making a MMO is creating the underlying instancing system. A player character must be able to seamlessly/smoothly move from server to server and instance to instance, all while the game does manage to keep connected to and updating the database with every single stat change.

CIG has been massively struggling with the 24 player max limit in their single instance system. Go ahead. Download the game the next free fly weekend and check for yourself. Disconnects and crashes are rampant.
Add multi-instancing and more than 24 players on top of their current wonky shit tech and Houston we have a clusterfuck of a problem.

They also only have very barebone persistence so far. The game is able to keep track of your credit balance and that's about it.
We are so so so far away from any true persistence or the basics of a MMO framework it's not even funny.

Content creation is the easy part. You have artists and designers creating assets with the engine editors. Big deal. Not.
The actual hard part is building the server and instancing infrastructure and they have fuck all to show in that regard.
And according to Roberts there isn't anything being added until at least the end of the year either (knowing Roberts 3.0 won't be out by the end of the year but more like mid 2017 at the earliest).
Until then they are just adding more content (remember? the easy part) but zero instancing, cross system travel or significant increases in players per instance.

You know, I have actually been convinced for quite a while now that it is only a matter of time until Roberts & co are going to admit that the full scope can not be done due to technical limitations and that they will instead deliver more of a regular multiplayer game with a single instance per star system... think Freelancer with multiplayer but not a grand scale MMO.

Until that admission they will for as long as possible keep cycling the bait (alternating between PU and S42) and show off their fancy little tech demos like this one here to lure people into giving them more monies.

74. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 20:24 Bundy

The reason why people were loud during that ladder was because right now that particular ladder doesn't always work. Especially when returning from an eva. Sometimes there's no problem, sometimes you touch it and go spinning off into space. Which is why when the guy climbed it with no problem and people started laughing, Chris said, "What? That ladder didn't always work?". It's common knowledge with that freelancer that you always use the cargo bay cause the ladder is bugged.

I think you guys might be reading more into the fan reactions than was there. Mostly they were probably like me and seeing a fix for something and saying "oh good finally" (like the system map also). Than squeals of delight.

73. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 19:04 jdreyer

This demo looked amazing. They're finally almost done with all the base features and can finally start content building. This technology is insane, absolutely insane. It might not look like it to a normal person though. Cannot wait to see what's next.

I agree that there are systems that they still need to design, as they mentioned the star system nav map and the AI populating the cities need to be improved/added. However, they seem much further along on the game systems than they do the content. They have one out of one hundred system nearly complete. That's 1%. And we've seen a grand total one one mission, out of potentially thousands.

I'd be interested in hearing why you think it's the opposite case.

72. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 19:00 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 11:14:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 03:13:

Took NMS 8 years to ship their game, and they did a lot less than what Roberts is trying to do. ...

That 8 year figure is from...

You can't compare 2 different game development times.

It's awesome that CIG is still raking in the cash, they should not have a problem finishing the game.

They're similar in that they're both doing cutting edge new technology that has never been done on the scale they're doing it. And that takes time, which was my main point.

71. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 18:59 jdreyer

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 11:11:
All I wanted was some Squadron42 news.
SQ 42 was my main reason for backing, but after watching that demo last year, all I could think of was "90210 in Space." Still, I'm hopeful.

70. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 18:57 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 08:05:
Never before have I wanted to use a ball gag on a straight guy before listening to Chris Roberts in this presentation. "Player 2... player 2... PLAYER 2... pla"

It is impressive, except that performance wise it didn't look very solid framerate wise.
Also on the 'mission' to get the cargo from the 'pirates' they were other people playing instead of NPC's.

I think the problem with the video is that it was captured from a stream. There was a lot of interlacing and motion blur that shouldn't have been there if it had been rendered in a studio, like most trailers are.

69. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 18:54 jdreyer

Linthat22 wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 06:45:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 03:13:
IDK, I think to many people are to easily impressed. I really didn't see anything about this that blew me away. To many people are in a hurry to praise what they are seeing, but the reality of it is, hes had 5 years to make this game so far. And this is all he really has to show for? Those of us who originally backed this game are getting very I'm patient with him.

Don't count me among the many who are ready to bow down to him. Everything I've seen here No Mans Sky is already doing.

Took NMS 8 years to ship their game, and they did a lot less than what Roberts is trying to do. Which rather than bowing down, has me scratching my head: how is he going to finish this within budget and make it all work in a cohesive whole while delivering all of those mechanics over a "universe" of 100 unique star systems? The proof of concept is shaping up nicely, but that's just one system...

8 years? Where did you get that number? Every place of read has stated 4 years.

Some interview Sean said they've been working on it since 2008.

68. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 15:43 NasWulf

and this is the type of misinformation that fuels the so called haters ... you take snippets of video and talking point to draw false conclusions when in reality you don't know what you are taking about. Taking falsehoods as facts. i notice that happens a lot around here , not just in the SC treads ....

67. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 21, 2016, 15:41 ItBurn

Nah, I'm right, you're wrong.

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >