Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation

This video offers the Gamescom presentation for Star Citizen. Or as the tortuous description reads, "Here's the LIVE version excerpt of our upcoming game play demo from our Gamescom 2016 presentation." The clip runs a whopping 52 minutes, showing gameplay recorded live from the show stage. During the presentation, Chris Roberts says to expect version 2.5 of the early access space game next week. He also reveals that version 2.7 is expected by the end of September, and version 3.0 should come by the end of October.

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

106. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 24, 2016, 20:49 Dacron

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 20:32:
yeah I wouldn't wish his death but he is clearly a little man with an agenda, and his posts about other people being 'not nice people' is hilarious considering the source.

Ya, I just found it amusing he is so blinded by hate, he turned into the same type of person he accused Derek of being. Good thing no one lets their emotions come into play :p

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

105. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 24, 2016, 20:32 {PH}88fingers

Dacron wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 19:36:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 14:16:
He is a hateful little man, envious of anyone more capable than himself (i.e. everyone). The world would be a better place if he crawled off and died in a ditch.

The irony at calling someone a "little man", but being so upset by them they wished their death.

yeah I wouldn't wish his death but he is clearly a little man with an agenda, and his posts about other people being 'not nice people' is hilarious considering the source.

104. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 24, 2016, 19:36 Dacron

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 14:16:
He is a hateful little man, envious of anyone more capable than himself (i.e. everyone). The world would be a better place if he crawled off and died in a ditch.

The irony at calling someone a "little man", but being so upset by them they wished their death.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

103. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 24, 2016, 08:21 jdreyer

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 19:00:
where the fuck is Derek Smart anywyas? wasn't the studio supposed to have imploded like 5 months ago already????

yo troll Derek come back so we can hear some more of your bullshit plz!!

To be honest, it's mind boggling that SC continues to raise money. Who are all these people, and why do they keep funding this? Not that I'm complaining: keep funding the game that I'll eventually play. I just find it incomprehensible.

When DS was railing on SC almost a year ago, funding was less than $90M. Now it's nearly $120M. I don't think even CR imagined this game would fund this high. Also, like CJ pointed out, they still have a lot of systems yet to build, and as I pointed out, it will probably take them years to deliver all of their promised systems. There's still time for them to run out of money, proving DS right in the long run.

Once the game ships, we can laugh at DS. Until then, odds are still on him being correct.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

102. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 22:38 Vall Forran

Trump stole all his hot air.  

101. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 19:00 {PH}88fingers

where the fuck is Derek Smart anywyas? wasn't the studio supposed to have imploded like 5 months ago already????

yo troll Derek come back so we can hear some more of your bullshit plz!!

100. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 18:04 NasWulf

Kosumo wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 04:56:
.... I'm sure you have never been "in deep" which is why your wife likes the touch of others.

This post reminds me of what a 13 year old would say ... an adolescent minded entitlement crying brat.

Bravo sir .... Sarcasticclap

And your infatuation with CR and Sandi being married is borderline tabloid headlines bait.

#DoYouSeeWhoIsReallyMarriedandHiditfromtheMasses?
#HiddenMarrageScandal
#WhoTheFuxCares

bra

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2016, 18:17.

99. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 14:16 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 04:56:
I have had a problem with Chris Roberts and his deceptive funding of his project (more so make a motion capture film than game) since he hit about 6 million in funding.

He has been shown to have lied many times about what he is doing. His wife also as lied many times about many thing form her past and this project going right back to when they where not keen for the first 3 years of it to acknowledge that they where married.

He and she have been very deceptive.
Stop it. The personal lives of CR and SG have no bearing on the development of the game. Sandi has proved that she is more than worthy of her position, being responsible for the most successful crowdfunded project in history - the project wouldn't be close to where it is without her. In terms of what matters, which is the game itself, they have been EXTREMELY open with the backers and public. Elements of the game have changed, as is inevitable in a project this complex, but they vastly exceed the original scope of the game.

Don't go around regurgitating Derek Smart's trolling campaign. He is a hateful little man, envious of anyone more capable than himself (i.e. everyone). The world would be a better place if he crawled off and died in a ditch.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

98. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 06:53 Maniac

The latter part in this thread got real "wall of texty" but my thinking is that how about we wait for the 3.0 and then see what state the game is. I've given up on the PU being feature ready in the next few years (I don't consider systems features) but 3.0 will be a huge improvement for what the game is in it's current state (playability wise)

I last looked at the game in 2.3 I think and just read about the rest. The sneak peek for v3.0 ruined any interest for the 2.5/2.6

3.0 for me is the MVP for getting my friends together and actually trying out the game for longer than an hour.
I have my doubts about this happening at the end of the year. Just too many new (and some technically difficult) features they putting together into one bundle. Maybe the avocados get to try it out.

I expect the 24 player limit to go much higher (but got no ideas what is feasible for their 1.0 version of the netcode). We will get professions, missions, many planets/moons/stations to mess around on. AI should populate the space. Then it starts to feel like a small persistent sandbox. And then they will iterate on all those freshly released features, maybe add a few extra and iterate on those. It's a process and it takes time. It will probably take even more time than we are ready to admit, partly due to CR's absurdly high requirements on quality.

I myself had no real expectations on the demo shown to us, but after it was over I was smiling. When this all hits the PU live server we will have fun. There will be initial set of tools we can use and create our own emergent gameplay. I just hope they will make multi-crew ships work better too (turret improvements + co-pilot actually having something useful to do)

I just hope getting missions will not involve running for 5 minutes and waiting at the elevators cursing at someone who jammed the upper floor elevator door with a can. Though at first that's exactly what probably will happen. So here is hoping there will be quick mission terminals too and only few special cinematic missions.

I hope Citizencon in october will be content packed. SQ42 should get lot of limelight and little more of 3.0 with the planetary tech 2.0 + actual dev build footage of that "living system"

Meanwhile Rainbow Six Siege is damn sweet and NMS does tickle my exploration sense (the mods are starting to be quite useful) so I ain't got no time to dwell on SC's lack of progress.

It will get there eventually and having a pragmatic mindset on the matter will help a lot.

97. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 23, 2016, 04:56 Kosumo

NasWulf wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 23:30:
you only wish i was "in deep" bra, as i see it's an easy cop-out for you to slander people interested in what SC Tech and game play will bring to PC gaming. Simple minded people tend to use deflection when they can't come up with anything else constructive to say.

Just as a retort to this post, I'm sure you have never been "in deep" which is why your wife likes the touch of others.

Can you please point to this 'slander' I have done to people interested in what SC Tech and game will bring to PC gaming.?

I have had a problem with Chris Roberts and his deceptive funding of his project (more so make a motion capture film than game) since he hit about 6 million in funding.

He has been shown to have lied many times about what he is doing. His wife also as lied many times about many thing form her past and this project going right back to when they where not keen for the first 3 years of it to acknowledge that they where married.

He and she have been very deceptive.

You say I'm slandering people, well I'd say Sandi Gardiner has also gone under the name of Mae Demmings for some of her early acting roles.

Please, tell me I'm wrong and prove it. Have me in a court for slander then ..... otherwise you are just full of shit.

96. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 16:17 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 08:51:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:56:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:13:
I think that you guys are too blinded by your emotions or previous investments to realize how amazing the tech in that demo was. There's never been anything done at a level close to this. If you want a full simulation of a space game, this is the real deal. They took no shortcuts. Don't reply to my comment about how you think this is a scam or all that endlessly repetitive noise. Just appreciate the tech.

What "tech" exactly are you referring to? The planetary atmospheric entry stuff? There have been videos on YT for years like this one here and many more.
You can also seamlessly land on planets across the 400bn star systems in Elite Dangerous until you have planets coming out your ass. It's nothing special.

Everything else has also been done in other games and much better than here. So what "tech" are you talking about exactly?

Then show us how you walk around on your spaceship in ED while it lands. Or how you fly a object that found in a crate on some base into your hangar, then carry it around and drop it on another world, all seamless without loading bars. Or how you explore a wreck in ED, walk around it, discover floating bodies and story elements.... The only game, and really the ONLY game that even came close to this was Kerbal Space Program. In fact Star Citizen is what KSP could have been had the developers not squandered it all.

If you don't see how this is more advanced than usual engine tech then you haven't played a lot of them space games, or tried to mod them for that matter. KSP especially is bordering on so many engine limits that you'd go insane developing for that.

And yeah, seamless atmospheric transitions are nothing new, doing it without ugly z-fighting (KSP) and weird block loading (NMS) or walking around on your ship while they happen... online? THAT is.

ItBurn is right, from a purely technical standpoint this is top notch, until Star Citizen NOBODY did anything like this. In no other game can you walk around your space-ship while it lands on a planets, while a 2nd player flies it. And jump out of it whenever you feel like it.

In fact I don't think you realize why that speeder flying into that hangar was such a big thing to show. The technology behind that doesn't even exist in available engines right now. KSP can kinda do something like this by docking (aka internally merging the scene space) but that is a crude hack compared to how it worked in the demo...

Anyhow, as I said.. I am in this for what, 30$ ? and what I see as a engine junkie is good. What I don't like is this horrible movement and shooting feel. Everything related to that feels floaty and inaccurate

Let me just say this: You need to look outside of space games and think just a little bit outside of the box, i.e. look at the bigger picture. The only difference between a space game and other games is that the environment variable that determines gravity is set to a value of "0" (zero). That's it. Space games aren't anything super-special to begin with.

As for walking around a ship while it lands or stuff like that, well, you can pretty much do that in any Battlefield games. One guy flies (or not if he is an asshole and parachuted out ) and other people do whatever while in the same "ship". It's not a big deal. Let's stop pretending like it is just because it is happening in a space game now.

You can even do the same with add-ons in an ancient game like Microsoft FSX. There have been add-ons for years that allow you to walk around the plane while it flies and if you use VATSIM you've been able to do this in multiplayer, too, of course.

I don't know if you easy-to-impress folks have only played Solitaire, Candy Crush and Minesweeper in the past few years but it may be time to get into some modern gaming and check out more games. It will give you some perspective that -graphical fidelity aside (yes, SC is nice looking in demos... the real thing not so much as it has horrible graphical bugs still) - what is shown in these demos is not that special when there is only four/five people on a local Gigabit LAN for a demo.

I'll be the first one to admit I'm impressed when they demo what they promised the game would really all be about, i.e. a capital ship space battle with dozens of fighters duking it out while the universe simulation is still running in the background and e.g. SAR missions get generated on the fly when players eject from their fighters... and people board the cap ship and fight in 1st person on the ship while the battle outside rages on... the crew on the cap ship struggles to fight off the boarding party and puts out fires, repairs damage etc. ... and all of this with players on regular Internet connections from 30ms to 200ms latency.
That's when I will tip my hat in Christ Roberts' general direction and tell him 'well done, Sir'.

But at almost $120 million and after four years of development he can shove a tech demo of this kind right up his ass. It is merely a marketing tool to generate more hype and monies. It has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of the game right now.
Again: We have a 24 player max limit, a single instance, a single star system, near zero persistence and 99% of all gameplay systems missing, i.e. there is no interstellar travel, no trading, no cargo hauling, no smuggling, no bounty-hunting, no mining, no salvaging, no SAR, no passenger transportation, no capital ship gameplay, no science/research, no exploration, no refueling, no electronic warfare, no information running, no repairing, nothing at all... and especially not with any level of the promised sophistication and complexity (like the promised fully simulated in-game economy with literally millions of AI agents for example).

I'll be impressed when ALL of that comes together, when we get close to getting our promised 100 star systems *at launch*, when the number of players per instance is raised to *at least* 64 players, when we actually have more than one instance and when all of this starts to work outside of a local LAN on my home PC with players from around the globe (or locally the EU) sharing the simulated universe with all gameplay systems and the promised level of detail and complexity.

Until then: Yawn@yet another retarded flashy tech demo. As I said before... a simple exercise: Go back to 2012 to 2014 and simply compare the older flashy tech demos (reveals and live demos at PAX, CitizenCon, Gamescom, whatever)) vs. what we have in the game right now. The vapor is very strong with this game. So far, they have a well established track record of underdelivering big time in spite of a $120 million budget and four years of time. They do not even have the basic groundwork done yet as the game is lacking the most simple MMO functionality a.k.a instancing.

95. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 16:16 Kosumo

There as been not display of this economy that some people have talk off here and neither as there been of the NPC AI. Just two of the many many more systems that are critical to this game.

Also, no one has touched on the spaceship induction I mention earlier. What has been show on how the players will interact with one another other than I'll fly the ship, you sit in the that other seat while I do so?

This is a bespoke, trade show live trailer - not the game being played.

94. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 16:14 jdreyer

@Zor

Great post, thanks.

Yeah, not worried about the FPS motion; that's just putting in the iterations to get it right.

I think you're being too simplistic about the other 99 systems. Yes their current focus is on gameplay systems, as it should be. But given how detailed each location in the current system is, the other 99 won't simply be cranked out. Even with a lot of asset reuse, thousands of hours will be needed to design, build, test, and deploy each system, given that each one is mostly hand built and they'll want to avoid the "saminess" issue. And you'll need to hire a lot more artists than they have now to get that done in the next few years. Doing two systems per month will take them four years to complete. There's a reason why NMS, ED, and Space Engineers go fully procedural. Unfortunately, all those games feel procedural.

Yeah, that mission was cool, but how feasible is it to make these kinds of missions? Each one of these is probably a couple hundred hours each to build and test. Even just 10 of these per system is 1000 missions. Skyrim had about 250 missions, for comparison. So right, a lot of the missions will be auto-generated, but obviously these hand-crafted ones are much more interesting.

As for player count, again I agree (as with framerate) you do those kind of network optimizations near the end of development, after most of the core systems are solid and in place. That being said, I think rarely has there been a system with so much telemetry that needs to be passed across the internet. On the other hand, after some thought, I came up with Arma 3 as a good indicator of what's possible. The highly realistic game pushes a lot of data, and handles up to about 60 or so players before performance starts to tank. So perhaps that's the upper limit?

As for patience, well, I'm not getting any younger!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

93. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 16:02 Rigs

Zor wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 12:30:
*snip*

This team will never cease to find people online who will scathe them for daring to show off what they DO have so far even when they knowingly have so much more to do and fix, which is really sad because that's exactly what they're supposed to do per the notion of crowd funded development. If they didn't do things like these gameplay demos, the internet would just bitch at them for that too.

I had pretty much no problem with any of what you said (and agree with much of it) until you got to this point. Then you just shot yourself in the foot. You have your right to whatever opinion you wish I respect that but damn you for telling ME I should shut my trap about how long Robert's and pals are taking to do this 'monumental' effort. WE (as in the gaming public) aren't the ones beholding them to stupid release dates and arbitrary build times. Roberts did that all by himself plenty of fucking times when he went all-Molyneux and said the game would be ready in two years. His words put him on a collision course with his detractors.

=-Rigs-=

92. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 12:30 Zor

whew that was a lot to read...

Alright, so, I think the top complaint I read in here was about the display of FPS combat. Yep, it looks bad. The animation and networking is mostly to blame and they keep talking about how all that is being worked on. The big rewrite of the whole networking layer is supposed to be included with alpha 3.0, but also:
We also continued working on vision stabilization for the first person view (1P). This is necessary to counter the head-bob that results from sharing the same rig between 1P and third person (3P) modes (meaning, essentially, that instead of being a floating camera, your characterís body and its movements are treated the same way as all the other characters you see.)

To achieve this weíve developed several techniques that effectively simulate how human eyes stabilize an image. The first deals with the eyes directly and eliminates all orientation changes from the body on the camera, which is most effective when the body is idle. The processes mirrors how human eyes stabilize an image on the retina. The second, head stabilization, which we patterned after how birds deal with this same problem, keeps your head at a fixed position by counter-translating body motions to maintain the perception of stability. The adjustments are only a couple of centimeters at a time, which are barely visible on 3P models. The end result of a great tool for designers and animators that allow them to tweak the amount of head-bob to a level most people perceive as realistic. This is an ongoing development process and there will be more tweaks and improvements in the coming month.

some video of them showing improvements they're working on:
https://youtu.be/FeXUMd4T5mw?t=3644
https://youtu.be/ZNV-Y5hauZ0?t=556

preview of upgrades to those slow animations people complain about (yes, they do know they are slow and irritating, the animation director even discusses it recently in Reverse the Verse 2.01):
https://youtu.be/g3rPBbVBrcI?list=PLVct2QDhDrB0Wr8oiWtstuyBJ1rail_0b&t=1454
Here they discuss in depth the state of animation and the future of animation for the game
http://imperialnews.network/2016/07/reverse-the-verse-episode-2-01-summary/

Another big issue is how long just one star system is taking to create for the PU. I think the obvious approach they are taking here is to get the R&D done on all the engine tech, get it all working right the first time in one example system, and THEN put all of that into the assembly line to crank out the rest of the 99 systems. You'll see the same thing happen for star systems as you do for starships at some point. Once the tools and pipelines are in place, the artists and content creators will fill that void, just as they have with all the ships and characters being built.

Next is certainly the big question mark in everyone's minds about the "mission" they showed off. Will this type of mission be sustainable from a development perspective? Maybe, maybe not. If they go the route of SWTOR, they have a TON of expensive work ahead of them. However I don't think that's the case for the full PU and this was just a demonstration of what they CAN do.

From what Tony and Chris have explained, the bulk of missions you will find are going to come from the simulated economy and subsumption AI system, as well as how both of those things get affected by player actions. There will also be a layer of more story driven narratives which will have to be hand crafted and performed in the way we saw in this demo. But, the most interesting content will of course be user-generated. When all the occupational gameplay systems are put in, people will find plenty to do without a mission terminal.

Moving on, a great point someone brought up was what exactly was the purpose of showing off the Drake Dragonfly that way? Who gets to keep it? Does anyone get to keep it? It was a fun tech demo to show what they CAN do but the question is how will something like that actually make it into persistent gameplay, etc. As far as they've said and as far as we've seen their goal is to mimic real life when it comes to physical items and inventory. In the case of that Dragonfly... well if you found it, you can turn it on (it's not locked or whatever they have in place), and you can transport it, I think according to the game, it's yours. Same with those crates of supplies they were trying to get off the moon. You don't "loot" in this game like you do in every other.

Then there is the big elephant in the room: player count and server instancing. Yes, the current system is terribly limited and certainly does not feel like a MMO yet. Well, of course not. They are working on an engine's networking layer that was never intended to be used that way. Are they working on it? Absolutely. Is it ready yet? Nope. Soon? Hopefully! A quote from a recent Around the Verse ep:
Another feature thatís got me really stoked is the server transition technology which is going to break down the walls between the isolated server instances and start to finally push all the players in the game together Ė thatís a bit farther out because we have to replace all the low-level CryEngine network code but itís going to have huge impact across a wide spectrum of gameplay and ultimately itís going to make the entire world feel a lot more alive.

I think ArcAge is the only MMORPG I can think of that's also used CryEngine as a baseline tech. I can only wonder how much and how long they had to hack at it to get their networking in place.

I just don't get the point in bitching about these things that aren't in yet. If you even bother to pay attention to all the weekly updates they create, you'd know what they are working on and know that all these things are known issues and are being sorted out over time. What's the point in complaining about the state of systems and engine tech that you all know isn't final--especially on the networking side? Just fucking have some goddamn patience and let them do what every other development team get's to do without you getting to watch all the fail before they find success and figure something out and get it right.

To those of you who just LOOOOVE to complain how LONG they've spent so far, put that shit to rest already. That's the most ignorant and tired complaint/argument repeated on any site that has a story about Star Citizen with a comments section. Not only is it patently absurd to accuse them of taking too long given the scope of the project and the amount of re-engineering and R&D needed to achieve the crazy shit they are dreaming up, it's even more absurd to accuse them of it when they've had to spend all these years just hiring up developers to match the size and resources and development pipelines that fully established companies have the benefit of when they start on something new. YES, there was preliminary work and designs being put to paper as far back as 2010 or 2011 but ffs there were only around 12 people working in the Austin office when they first "launched" on Kickstarter. CIG isn't Hello Games. Star Citizen isn't NMS. The game does not populate itself from art asset pools and math algorithms. To create this big of a revolution in PC gaming possibilities, you've got to spend a LOT of time finding developers who are up to and seeking out that challenge. The recent interview with Brian Chambers is very very telling in how the industry itself views the scope of this project. It's huge, it's daunting, and it's something they all are genuinely excited for and want to see happen.

This team will never cease to find people online who will scathe them for daring to show off what they DO have so far even when they knowingly have so much more to do and fix, which is really sad because that's exactly what they're supposed to do per the notion of crowd funded development. If they didn't do things like these gameplay demos, the internet would just bitch at them for that too.

91. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 09:10 NasWulf

Peeeling wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 07:05:
I didn't say they had no content. What I said is that the content they are showing is very expensive, bespoke, high-consumption rate stuff that cannot be feasibly sustained and expanded to WoW scale, certainly not on less money than WoW itself (which was pitched purposefully lo-fi to make bulk content creation a tractable problem). Are you disagreeing with me on that?

Based on what was show in the demo, yes I have to disagree. Again, wow has had 11+DEV years and 100s of millions of dollars to bring you as much content as you see now. Also WoW took 4.5 years to develop and cost $63,000,000 (63M) estimated. SC now has almost 120M and started on a well established game engine. What I see and what I hear in the presentation is the many different systems that will be layered on top of what was shown, the market system, the mission system, etc. I didn't see fast consumption rate content, exactly the opposite with long drawn out missions over vast amounts of play space (taking cargo what one distance system to another and running into space combat along the way kind of stuff) or if you want fast paced action you have e-sports racing, star marine (coming in the next major update*), wing commander.

Yeah, sounds amazing, doesn't it? Except that's a systems-based game, and they're not pitching us systems. They're showing us CoD/Uncharted style stuff and letting people think the finished game is going to be that, 24/7. The only gameplay in that demo was clunky-looking FPS, and last time I checked, FPS and lengthy, elaborate locked-in set piece animations don't exactly live in harmony.

I didn't see anything that remotely looks like CoD/Uncharted gameplay?..? I didn't see giant explosions, players walking up to players and snapping their necks, or any of the other fasted paced action you see from those titles you're referring to. Again just the opposite, I see in the demo and in future potential with the TECH they've shown is more akin to WingCommander space combat or even in the future down on the massive planets ... PlanetSide (one can hope).

So far all the FPS stuff has looked straight up bad. Spaceship movement still looks bad. EVA looks bad. Spaceship combat looks the same as all other spaceship combat: firing at reticles. There's a LOT of eye-candy on show, but the gameplay underpinning it all still looks janky.

While I'm not a fan of what direction they took with the true to form animation system, I think it will be just fine once all fleshed out. I think us as FPS consumers have got so adjusted to the DOOM head bounce, gun in the center of the screen style FPS that anything else looks odd.

But let's go with your version, as it makes my point SO much better. WoW had more money, and pitched deliberately low with fast-turnaround low-fi art, most items only represented by icons, reskinnable models (variations on spider, wolf, orc etc), cookie-cutter quest system. And you're sniffing disdainfully at what it shipped with.

I'll let you think about that for a moment.

Again, Vanilla WoW only took 65Mill to make, SC has double that in crowed funding and who knows in private funding (again conveniently forgotten about). Vanilla WoW at the time really didn't have the same in terms of graphical fidelity and beside the seamless zoning tech, really didn't do anything in terms of TECH over what other MMOs of the time were doing. SC on its TECH front looks to be pushing the PC to its limits, again in a good way just in the same as titles like the original FarCry or Crysis, or even DOOM for that matter.

I'm sure by the way this was a smaller venue and they only showed a slice of their new TECH, they are holding stuff back for their own convention in a few months time. Oh and remember tipsy, YouTube adds video artifacts and skipping when streaming live content, its just a drawback of the technology.

90. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 08:54 SpectralMeat

I thought this demo was pretty impressive.
I would love to see some single player game stuff now too.

Steam: SpectralMeat

89. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 08:51 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 00:56:
I think that you guys are too blinded by your emotions or previous investments to realize how amazing the tech in that demo was. There's never been anything done at a level close to this. If you want a full simulation of a space game, this is the real deal. They took no shortcuts. Don't reply to my comment about how you think this is a scam or all that endlessly repetitive noise. Just appreciate the tech.

What "tech" exactly are you referring to? The planetary atmospheric entry stuff? There have been videos on YT for years like this one here and many more.
You can also seamlessly land on planets across the 400bn star systems in Elite Dangerous until you have planets coming out your ass. It's nothing special.

Everything else has also been done in other games and much better than here. So what "tech" are you talking about exactly?

Then show us how you walk around on your spaceship in ED while it lands. Or how you fly a object that found in a crate on some base into your hangar, then carry it around and drop it on another world, all seamless without loading bars. Or how you explore a wreck in ED, walk around it, discover floating bodies and story elements.... The only game, and really the ONLY game that even came close to this was Kerbal Space Program. In fact Star Citizen is what KSP could have been had the developers not squandered it all.

If you don't see how this is more advanced than usual engine tech then you haven't played a lot of them space games, or tried to mod them for that matter. KSP especially is bordering on so many engine limits that you'd go insane developing for that.

And yeah, seamless atmospheric transitions are nothing new, doing it without ugly z-fighting (KSP) and weird block loading (NMS) or walking around on your ship while they happen... online? THAT is.

ItBurn is right, from a purely technical standpoint this is top notch, until Star Citizen NOBODY did anything like this. In no other game can you walk around your space-ship while it lands on a planets, while a 2nd player flies it. And jump out of it whenever you feel like it.

In fact I don't think you realize why that speeder flying into that hangar was such a big thing to show. The technology behind that doesn't even exist in available engines right now. KSP can kinda do something like this by docking (aka internally merging the scene space) but that is a crude hack compared to how it worked in the demo...

Anyhow, as I said.. I am in this for what, 30$ ? and what I see as a engine junkie is good. What I don't like is this horrible movement and shooting feel. Everything related to that feels floaty and inaccurate

88. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 07:05 Peeeling

NasWulf wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 21:56:
Peeeling wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 20:58:

are you just typing to type? to sound like you know what's going on over at CIG? I'm guessing like most people who are not employed by CIG, you don't.

I'm going by what I'm seeing. What are YOU going on?

What they were showing in the demo was actual completed game play functionality from an upcoming release (2.7 or 3.0 or whatever they want to call it), you know actual content that you say they don't have or does not exist.

I didn't say they had no content. What I said is that the content they are showing is very expensive, bespoke, high-consumption rate stuff that cannot be feasibly sustained and expanded to WoW scale, certainly not on less money than WoW itself (which was pitched purposefully lo-fi to make bulk content creation a tractable problem). Are you disagreeing with me on that?

Think of EvE: On-line with EVE: Valkyrie and DUST 514 all in one single game seamlessly working all in the same game space.

Yeah, sounds amazing, doesn't it? Except that's a systems-based game, and they're not pitching us systems. They're showing us CoD/Uncharted style stuff and letting people think the finished game is going to be that, 24/7. The only gameplay in that demo was clunky-looking FPS, and last time I checked, FPS and lengthy, elaborate locked-in set piece animations don't exactly live in harmony.

You claim that you don't see any sustainable content ecosystem but yet they have already demonstrated the different types of game play that you claim they don't do have, i.e. Space Combat, EVA Combat/Game Play, FPS Combat, Mission based gameplay, Market Commerce, E-Sorts of some sort (racing, some sort of tether ball), Open World PVP Combat (i.e Pirate sector combat) and so on. Some modern games can't even claim to have half those systems in place as finished products.

So far all the FPS stuff has looked straight up bad. Spaceship movement still looks bad. EVA looks bad. Spaceship combat looks the same as all other spaceship combat: firing at reticles. There's a LOT of eye-candy on show, but the gameplay underpinning it all still looks janky.

While it is true that CIG doesn't seem to have (again we don't really know what CIG has or doesn't have in its coffers, only the upper management is peeve to that information) WoW style funding they are still pushing the limits of PC gaming with what they do have, also WoW at release didn't have the content it now has 11 years later. WoW at release had what, 5 - 6 dungeons, 1 raid, sloppy PvP? Content takes time, money and resources to develop and CIG has really only just started.

I seem to recall WoW having a pretty elaborate lobby for the 20 dungeons it shipped with. You know: five capital cities and a couple of continents full of quests.

But let's go with your version, as it makes my point SO much better. WoW had more money, and pitched deliberately low with fast-turnaround low-fi art, most items only represented by icons, reskinnable models (variations on spider, wolf, orc etc), cookie-cutter quest system. And you're sniffing disdainfully at what it shipped with.

I'll let you think about that for a moment.

You claim that we all just witnessed all the content CIG has in this demo and there is nothing to be seen in the next coming months, a claim based on? Ignorance? Internet Troll talk? Insider information?

Yeah, I think I overstepped the mark there I don't know how much more of that kind of content they have banked, but I do know that's not the kind of content that's needed for SC to be the game backers are expecting it to be.

It remains to be seen what CIG has for SC/SQ42 and these latest Tech demos/game play presentation looking extremely promising as far as pushing the PC in more immersive game play avenues.

Unskippable set-piece animations for getting in and out of ships isn't immersion. Ultimately it's just annoying.

A way of Life? Ummm no .. I would hope people don't claim computer games as a why of life, except maybe the e-sport community but even then that is more a job than a way of life. The people dropping a car payment on a game are well their own prerogative, if someone has the expendable funds to buy a picture of a star ship on a computer program, who the F are you or anyone for that matter better off to tell them? Just like JG Wenthworth use to say said, its your money .... use it how ever the F you want.

Ok. If you genuinely believe that people are hyped about SC as a sub-WoW, sub-Skyrim kind of time-sink, that's your prerogative. Personally, that's not the vibe I get.

87. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 22, 2016, 06:48 jdreyer

Of course it's not a scam, CR believes in what he's doing. I'm just afraid of the Molyneux effect.

I'll agree that the tech is cool, and coming along nicely. Still it remains to be seen if this will scale to more than 4 people per instance, and if they can build all 100 promised systems to make the world feel expansive. Right now, just one system.

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >