Paragon Open Beta

The promised open beta test for Paragon is now underway for Windows and PlayStation 4. Paragon is a third-person MOBA from Epic Games powered by the Unreal Engine 4. The open beta launch trailer offers a look. Epic is also now holding a livestream on Twitch, saying it is also on YouTube, though we can't find it there. You can download the client through the Epic Launcher on this page. Here are more details:
In Paragon, every match is an epic clash of Heroes, each with their own unique design and play style that can turn the tide of battle. With a new Hero every three weeks, Paragon offers endless opportunity for new players and MOBA veterans alike.

Paragon is designed so that every player can compete and win without ever spending money. All Heroes are always free-to-play. Cards can only be earned by playing the game. Those who would dare reach the highest levels of skill can tackle Master Challenges. As you increase your Hero level, you’ll unlock new card packs, unique taunts, and valuable rewards.

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Paragon Open Beta
Aug 17, 2016, 05:13
Slick

Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 17, 2016, 05:13
Aug 17, 2016, 05:13
 Slick

Malvok wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 20:32:
I just don't understand how these MOBA games can outright copy each other. This whole lane, minion, tower, heroes with abilities and ultimates, buying gear, it's all the exact same game!

I think you just defined what a "genre" is...

All these first-person games, with guns, and you shoot bad guys, can't they think of anything new!? Wolfenstein 3D is literally the exact same game as Titanfall!

Or those damned "Comedy" movies, with all their jokes and punchlines, we get it, hahaha, can't you think of anything new?

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2016, 05:19.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Aug 16, 2016, 23:57
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 23:57
Aug 16, 2016, 23:57

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 23:09:
This looks completely utterly unoriginal.

So like pretty much every AAA game release in the past decade or so?

Aug 16, 2016, 23:09
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 23:09
Aug 16, 2016, 23:09

This looks completely utterly unoriginal.

Aug 16, 2016, 20:42
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 20:42
Aug 16, 2016, 20:42

Malvok wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 20:32:
I just don't understand how these MOBA games can outright copy each other. This whole lane, minion, tower, heroes with abilities and ultimates, buying gear, it's all the exact same game!

Those elements, and variations and modifications to them is the whole genre. You can make a similar complaint about MP FPS DM. They all have online players, guns, spawn points, scoreboards, and increasingly loadouts, XP, unlockables.

I think the core defining aspect of a MOBA is the AI "mobs" that you stop or support depending on the team and the structures or bases on either side of the map that you protect or attack with the mobs.

Aug 16, 2016, 20:32
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 20:32
Aug 16, 2016, 20:32

Aug 16, 2016, 20:24
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 20:24
Aug 16, 2016, 20:24

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 15:00:
I'm not sure what MOBA actually means.. Multiplayer Online Battle Arena...

Quake 1 death match is a MOBA right?
Quake Teamfortress is a MOBA right?
CounterStrike is a MOBA right?
DOTA Is a MOBA right?
League oF Legends is a MOBA Right?
Overwatch is a MOBA right?
Battleborn is a MOBA right?
Wouldn't WoW's PVP be consider a MOBA?

Like how is this fully defined? The words together encompass a variety of gaming titles.

To me, the only MOBAs are LoL & DOTA, but Since I haven't played Overwatch/Battleborn.. those could fall under two teams killing structures which would be a MOBA?

I'm positive that you generally know what a MOBA is... your argument is in that same annoying vein as "RPG means role playing game, aren't all games role playing games?!"
Sigh

Aug 16, 2016, 18:19
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 18:19
Aug 16, 2016, 18:19

This game is gorgeous, easily the coolest looking character models I've seen in awhile. However, the gameplay looks like it simply isn't my cup of tea, oh well. Maybe I'll try the beta when I finish XCOM2.

*EDIT* Typo.

Aug 16, 2016, 17:06
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 17:06
Aug 16, 2016, 17:06

Paragon is neat at least. Very, very pretty. It does not hold lasting appeal though IMO.

Aug 16, 2016, 17:04
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 17:04
Aug 16, 2016, 17:04

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 15:00:

DOTA Is a MOBA right?

Like how is this fully defined? The words together encompass a variety of gaming titles.

To me, the only MOBAs are LoL & DOTA, but Since I haven't played Overwatch/Battleborn.. those could fall under two teams killing structures which would be a MOBA?

Overwatch has more in common with Team Fortress 2 than a traditional MOBA. I would classify it as a team based objective shooter.

Aug 16, 2016, 15:00
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 15:00
Aug 16, 2016, 15:00

DOTA Is a MOBA right?

Aug 16, 2016, 11:48
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 11:48
Aug 16, 2016, 11:48

I haven't had a chance to try Battleborn yet, meant to grab it through the recent Humble Bundle but kept getting distracted.

Paragon is a MOBA, but it's from a third person perspective - so it does play out a bit like a shooter. So maybe a more rigid and longer playing Monday Night Fight?
I'm just not a fan of the match lengths, but otherwise I've enjoyed it.

Not actually familiar with Lawbreakers

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 11:40:
Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 10:55:
I really struggle to distinguish between Battleborn, Paragon, Lawbreakers, and Overwatch.

While they're certainly different in tone, art style, gsameplay, and arguably genre (with this being a MOBA?), they still appear to be competing for the exact same customer.

In some ways it feels like the late 90s, when a fall preview edition of CGW or PCG would have 25 different FPS games in it. Times have changed, though. These are all multiplayer focused games, looking to take players for 60-600 hours, meaning they don't have time to play other games (unlike in the late 90s, where you could probably play 10-30 in that amount of time.)

That's pretty much how Counterstrike changed the industry, too. It took us from playing tons of games repeatedly to one game exclusively (other games took steps towards that, but we didn't really have the internet to support it.) In order for a game to survive like that, it needs a critical mass, and to this day I still think there's really only room for one game to hit critical mass, a few games to circle around limply, and everything else dying a swift and forgotten death.

Overwatch and Lawbreakers are first person shooters, Battleborn and Paragon are MOBAs. I've tried the last 2 and i didn't really them, I even think Paragon is terrible. Definitely not games for FPS fans so no, I don't think they are competing for the same customers but if they are it's a big mistake.

Aug 16, 2016, 11:40
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 11:40
Aug 16, 2016, 11:40

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 10:55:
I really struggle to distinguish between Battleborn, Paragon, Lawbreakers, and Overwatch.

While they're certainly different in tone, art style, gsameplay, and arguably genre (with this being a MOBA?), they still appear to be competing for the exact same customer.

In some ways it feels like the late 90s, when a fall preview edition of CGW or PCG would have 25 different FPS games in it. Times have changed, though. These are all multiplayer focused games, looking to take players for 60-600 hours, meaning they don't have time to play other games (unlike in the late 90s, where you could probably play 10-30 in that amount of time.)

That's pretty much how Counterstrike changed the industry, too. It took us from playing tons of games repeatedly to one game exclusively (other games took steps towards that, but we didn't really have the internet to support it.) In order for a game to survive like that, it needs a critical mass, and to this day I still think there's really only room for one game to hit critical mass, a few games to circle around limply, and everything else dying a swift and forgotten death.

Overwatch and Lawbreakers are first person shooters, Battleborn and Paragon are MOBAs. I've tried the last 2 and i didn't really them, I even think Paragon is terrible. Definitely not games for FPS fans so no, I don't think they are competing for the same customers but if they are it's a big mistake.

Aug 16, 2016, 10:55
Re: Paragon Open Beta Aug 16, 2016, 10:55
Aug 16, 2016, 10:55

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older