Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

PC DOOM Sells 1M

SteamSpy indicates that the Windows edition of DOOM has sold more than one million copies on Steam (thanks DSOGaming). A QuakeCon sale-inspired surge last week appears responsible. They report the Steam version is now owned by 1,002,067 players.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 14, 2016, 05:06 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 05:15:
NetHead wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 21:32:
I just want to point out that Bethesda, if they so desired, could have allowed modding/level creation etc while having Denuvo/DRM. The DRM isn't preventing that so much as Bethesda may be using it to help prevent it, if you see what I mean. Not that I am in any way defending or encouraging DRM.

Sorry to tell you but denuvo requires server authentication. The reason level editor isn't released is because companies want to sell you dlc/season passes/microtransaction nonsense and have you over a barrel. Denuvo prevents people from modding the game unofficially because the game is encrypted. There are all sorts of unoffical mods for games that don't have official modding ability denuvo certainly prevents that I'm sorry to tell ya.

Note that there were unofficial editors for many older pc games that were made by the community, denuvo certainly prevents that. Diablo had a bunch of unoffical mods when it came with no level editor lets remember.

Denuvo does not prevent modding. Just Cause 3 uses Denuvo and has plenty of mods. Dragon Age Inquisition also has mods. The existence of mods is dependent on the ease with which they can be created and used and the strength of the player community.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 12, 2016, 10:12 Beamer

There's a whole lot of "the games I grew up with are so much better than the games kids today do" going on here.

Which would be funny if people even realized how sad that comes across.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 12, 2016, 09:17 Peeeling

"Many people bought diablo 3 based on the track record with diablo 2... So of course its going to sell - its a sequel to one of the biggest propreties in gaming that took over a decade to release a sequel...

There's an entire new generation of gamers who have no memory of the past so blizzard is just selling to that crowd of easy money"

Makes sense to me.

36. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 10:55 Verno

Which doesn't mean much because a good chunk of blizzards audience is under 22 or wouldn't know of games like doom, quake, or duke nukem 3d. AKA they didn't game on PC's in the 90's they think pc gaming = steam. If you don't remember the pre-steam era you really can't comment on modern gaming at all without massive distortions.

Err what? Where does this assumption come from? Have you been to BlizzCon? Blizzard has been around forever, if anything their demos probably skew older than you think.

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show

35. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 05:27 Suppa7

So then the question is "why". Why would Bethesda do that to a game, do more work to have poorer, "dumbed down" modding support. Nevermind how the Doom franchise is arguably legendary for modding support in some ways, people are still making things for the originals today. Begging a further question of, so of all the franchises why this one.

Man you are one deluded soul, note that the tools they used to make the game doom they already have and are infinitely better then snap map will ever be yet they didn't release them. They purposely made a gimped level editor for a PC audience... thats bs. Mods for consoles? WTF they want to create a "platform" for micro-transaction money and people to sell mods... that's horrible because 99% of mods aren't worth anything. They see how stupid the average gamer is - remember bethesda was behind horse armor lets not forget...

So bethesda are not the good guys, they hate free mods and are mad they aren't getting a "cut" of money they believe should be theirs off other peoples work.

Did you see what cut modders got? It was like something below 30%, while steam and bethesda took the lions share for doing nothing. That's why everyone was angry about bethesda's paid mods... they are just another shitty game company.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2915639/steam-kills-off-controversial-paid-mods-feature.html

34. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 05:22 Suppa7

Mystiq wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 19:30:
What? Overwatch sold incredibly well. Diablo 3 sold well, even after the garbage with Vanilla. Their games are doing well.

Which doesn't mean much because a good chunk of blizzards audience is under 22 or wouldn't know of games like doom, quake, or duke nukem 3d. AKA they didn't game on PC's in the 90's they think pc gaming = steam. If you don't remember the pre-steam era you really can't comment on modern gaming at all without massive distortions.

Many people bought diablo 3 based on the track record with diablo 2, it also helped that diablo 3 had always online drm in it. So of course its going to sell - its a sequel to one of the biggest propreties in gaming that took over a decade to release a sequel... so everyone should have expected diablo 3 to sell.

There's an entire new generation of gamers who have no memory of the past so blizzard is just selling to that crowd of easy money there are plenty of countries that couldn't afford videogames until just recently so the market has grown in size since ye old days, so new generations of gamers + expanding market can give you 'success' simply because theres a bunch of fresh new minds without hardly any gaming experience, so new games which are mediocre young kids will think are amazing.

That's normal and they can have fun and have their opinions but they really can't judge a game properties quality if they didn't grow up with it because they lack the perspective.

33. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 05:15 Suppa7

I just want to point out that Bethesda, if they so desired, could have allowed modding/level creation etc while having Denuvo/DRM. The DRM isn't preventing that so much as Bethesda may be using it to help prevent it, if you see what I mean. Not that I am in any way defending or encouraging DRM.

Sorry to tell you but denuvo requires server authentication. The reason level editor isn't released is because companies want to sell you dlc/season passes/microtransaction nonsense and have you over a barrel. Denuvo prevents people from modding the game unofficially because the game is encrypted. There are all sorts of unoffical mods for games that don't have official modding ability denuvo certainly prevents that I'm sorry to tell ya.

Note that there were unofficial editors for many older pc games that were made by the community, denuvo certainly prevents that. Diablo had a bunch of unoffical mods when it came with no level editor lets remember.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2016, 05:24.

32. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 00:02 Jerykk

Bethesda is so blatantly pursing this, yet how many people, including many who consider themselves tech savvy and informed etc were to busy being interested in a neutered editor called SnapMap when revealed rather than having a neon WTF sign over their heads.

I don't think any modders were interested in SnapMap. SnapMap is nothing more than a rudimentary level editor.

If you're suggesting that Bethesda will try to monetize user-created maps... yeah, I don't see that happening. Nobody would pay for them, especially when the maps all use recycled assets.

31. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 21:32 NetHead

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 10:15:
nin wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 09:36:
I'm honestly surprised it's not higher. It was a fun game, and seemed to have good word of mouth as well...

The lack of a real level editor, half baked multiplayer and the fact that the game files are encrypted using denuvo (aka making modding difficult to impossible) is why interest waned. The original Doom sold on word of mouth and also because you could easily modify the wads and share levels and add new stuff....

Infact I wouldn't be surprised if polishing their editor and adding some documentation along with alterations to the game to support such modding, would have been less work than the time and effort they've put into the horrendous SnapMap, more so if it was a decision from the start. (The more I think about developing SnapMap compared to a more traditional editor/modding support the more of a clumsy nightmare SnapMap becomes in comparison)

So then the question is "why". Why would Bethesda do that to a game, do more work to have poorer, "dumbed down" modding support. Nevermind how the Doom franchise is arguably legendary for modding support in some ways, people are still making things for the originals today. Begging a further question of, so of all the franchises why this one.

Well Bethesda's track record doesn't make it hard to "speculate" (read know exactly what they were thinking/doing). Bethesda arguably more than anyone knows how much their games and themselves can benefit from user made content, mods.

Bethesda would love control of mods for their games, they would also love to get those mods onto consoles be it for potential monetisation or to make their games, at least the console versions, more attractive. Let the "community" complete/fill/expand the game, adding value.

It doesn't help if the PC version has loads of maps, mods, total conversions etc thanks to tools not possible on the consoles. Not to mention maps/scenarios which would be impossible to run on consoles even if ported, thus the limitations imposed on creation when using SnapMap, such as room/monster limits to avoid going beyond what the consoles could handle for example memory/performance limits etc and lets even avoid potential bugs of making a mod designed for PC and tested on PC when simply "ported" to the console version.

Hence SnapMap, and the extra or rather excessive effort put into it. Parity on the platforms while forcing any "PC" mods to be compatible with the console versions. It's basically a move in the hope of forcing any PC user content to be console compatible from the start (can you imagine they tried to do this after the modding became established, such as with TES, they've learned, though clearly have not given up)

So that second question, begged, why this game. Well it's a franchise that's already known for users creating content and expanding it, though it's also a long overdue reboot which is an important distinction compared to trying this with something like TES (not only the complexity typical of each games mods). There are people out there who would love the thought of a new Doom coming out and making content for that, what better chance to jumpstart a games modding, especially if gimped.

Anyone who doesn't think such an experienced company, especially in regards to this specific topic, doesn't think these things through before hand and have plans beyond the game itself, naively has their heads in the sand. It's not a conspiracy theory, it's business, in an industry moving more money than ever before.

Why do people think mobile games make so much money (it's massive incase you don't know). Is it the upfront cost? (often free) Or is it "in app purchases" and the like. Does anyone really think no-one has though about if only they could get that going on other platforms, especially ones which already have that large upfront payoff (PC/Console). These days I can easily imagine someone going that's a ridiculous paranoia until the word "microtransactions" slaps them. The only thing sweeter would be if those "in app purchases" were for user made content. Talk about a self filling money machine if pulled off, paying customers paying for the things they've paid to create.

Bethesda is so blatantly pursing this, yet how many people, including many who consider themselves tech savvy and informed etc were to busy being interested in a neutered editor called SnapMap when revealed rather than having a neon WTF sign over their heads.

30. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 21:08 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 20:41:
... the top ARPG...

Top ARPG would probably be Skyrim unless there is some weird Korean ARPG to dwarf them all that I'm not aware of.

What you meant is the "top clickfest for mentally challenged primates" category.

29. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 20:41 jdreyer

Suppa. We're talking about 2016 Doom not 1992 Doom. Yes it didn't perform which is my point. It's a totally different circumstances from D3.

Blizzard love them or hate them is a dominant power in PC gaming and has been for decades. They have the top MMO, the top CCG, the top RTS, the top ARPG, and the top team shooter. Their games sell millions at release and continue to perform for years. No other company releases as few games with so much success. You can say they are bad but they sell millions and Blizz is valued at 10s of billions.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

28. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 19:30 Mystiq

What? Overwatch sold incredibly well. Diablo 3 sold well, even after the garbage with Vanilla. Their games are doing well.

If you think SC2 is just a race with no strategy (yes, it's a race at the high end) then I don't think you know how the games are played. Knowing how to manage a battle is as much a part of the game as being able to quickly build up. Would I like if they managed to make it not about fingers flying over a keyboard? Sure, but not for SC2.

27. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 18:18 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 14:05:
Meh, not really comparable IMO.
- Doom is a console port, D3 was PC only.
- Doom is an FPS, of which we get many every year. D3 is an action RPG, of which we had gotten very few in the years before D3 was released.
- Blizzard is a company at the peak of its game. iD is a shadow of its former self.

Almost everything you posted is misinformaiton, the original doom sold via shareware with no marketing and made people like JC rich very quickly. It spread by word of mouth and caught fire. Doom 2016 hasn't done anything like that.

Blizzard is NOT at the peak of its game, it's surviving off generational turnover, WoW is not a good game, neither is starcraft 2, neither is diablo 3. All the big sequels were big let downs. Diablo 3 has drm in it and the story/universe is fucked up beyond all repair compared to diablo 1 and 2. The same thing happend to SC2's story, the universe doesn't even feel the same. It's some alternate universe. Starcraft 1 and BW were pushing the envelope of RTS, the rise of korean e-sports fandom fucked up starcraft 2 big time. You can search game development conference video on youtube where they talk about how they wanted to design starcraft 2 to be an e-sport because they saw all that money they weren't making in korea... I'm kinda SC2 "bombed" as an e-sport compared to moba's because the designers can't fix the old modly RTS formula because of competitive e-sports players are super conservative and holding onto many bad elements of RTS... like the poor interface and the sheer lack of depth... RTS is still largely about APM and racing to get ahead in resources/expansion it's still fundamentally a race /w little strategy.

Blizzard is surviving off sheer fandom at this point and a new generation of gamers who never played the original games and hence have no memory of the past and hence their brains are overvaluing what blizzard is producing by a large margin.

The same thing just happened with overwatch.

26. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 15:54 Suppa7

The Magician wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 15:17:
But how much playtime does anyone have on it?

I've finished it, it's not worth full price you can wait. The single player just isn't anything we've haven't seen before and you'll get bored. The game uses the same game design throughout, its pretty much Doom 3 but with small arenas and resting periods repated over and over, it's not anywhere near doom1/2 levels of creativity.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2016, 16:29.

25. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 15:17 The Magician

But how much playtime does anyone have on it?

I played the final test release to see how the multiplayer was, and that convinced me that I will never buy anything from id without playing it first. I own everything else id has ever made, and have bought it all on release day, since Doom 2.

The new Doom I will not purchase, unless maybe when it ends up in the $5 or less bin. They fucked up the best thing about Doom so hard that they have decided to make a new Quake game to make up for it.

24. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 15:08 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 13:52:
Beamer wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 12:33:
Thought Doom 3 was repetitive garbage. Couldn't even finish it.
Loved Doom 4.

Yes, but did you play it on PC or console? It struck me as pretty consoly, so I took a pass until it drops in price.

I picked up Wolfenstein TNO a few months ago and just finished downloading it yesterday, so that will be the next shooter I play.

PC.

I did play Wolfenstein TNO on a 360, though, and did not finish it. I think Far Cry 4 came out around the time I was playing, and I just never went back.
That game, to me, had some terrible feeling weapons. I just remember one sequence where you had to go up these twisting stairs with enemies on them and I never felt really solid about whether I was hitting them, how much damage was being done, etc.

Doom 4 is much more about just running around being a demon killing god. It's fast, it's fluid, and it becomes a rhythm. It plays extremely nicely with a mouse, and everything about it is satisfyingly visceral. Glory kills are controversial, and I hated them the first few times, then accepted them as a gameplay device that just made everything more fun. They are a resource, and on harder difficulty (which I do not necessarily recommend), they are the most critical resource in the game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 14:34 Kxmode

PC gaming is dead.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 14:28 fujiJuice

- Doom is an FPS, of which we get many every year. D3 is an action RPG, of which we had gotten very few in the years before D3 was released.
- Blizzard is a company at the peak of its game. iD is a shadow of its former self.

Diablo 3 was on console as well even though the release dates were different, I wonder if that stat includes both 24 hour launches. (nevermind it doesn't)

21. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 14:26 fujiJuice

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 12:43:
Flak wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 12:07:
As good as this game is (I've put a lot of time in it and largely enjoyed it), it's again nothing more than a console port.

Exactly. It's also a simplistic braindead shoot'em up that is worth maybe $5 max on a very bright day with sunshine and lollipops.
Gamers have come to expect a little more (like a story and shit) from their shooters than simple run & gun crap.

That kind of simplicity may be fun for an hour or so and then it gets boring and stale very quickly. Boom. Uhuhhuh. Boom. Boom. Uhuhuhuhuhuh. Beavis and Butthead gameplay. Yawn.

So I'm not surprised and actually very happy and glad to see it tanks at sales. There may be some brain left in the gamer community out there (a belief I will only hold until I see the next Steam top 10 charts probably *sigh*).

I disagree. For some other games sure, but Doom defined by its run and gun, thankfully they realised that after the last one.

I am surprised by how much fun I had during the single player campaign. It takes a lot for me to finish a game these days and I blasted through it pretty quickly. I've even gone back to a few levels for secrets, something I do in only games I can't put down.

While I hated the beta and I am still not crazy about the CoD style of it, the multiplayer isn't horrible but I haven't and won't play much of it.

It is also one of the best performing games I've played lately. Gorgeous to look at and runs like a dream even with so many enemies, physics objects, all while running and jumping very fast.

20. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 14:05 jdreyer

Suppa7 wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 10:02:

Diablo 3 - 24 hours --> 3.5 million copies sold
Doom 2016 - 3 months --> 1.0 million copies sold.

That's terrible.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo