The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible

Bethesda Softworks offers fans of The Evil Within and Rage hope that follow-ups to one or both games are still possible (thanks VG247). Speaking with finder.com.au, Bethesda's Pete Hines tells them each game did well enough to warrant a sequel. This topic has come up before, in particular about Rage, id Software's 2011 first-person shooter. In 2013 Hines said whether a Rage sequel was coming was "TBD," and shortly after that Tim Willits stated that the franchise was "not dead." When asked about sequels to both games they say Hines didn't hesitate before saying yes. He expands on that in a follow-up answer:
Pete Hines: I can’t talk about the unannounced stuff and what we may or may not do. I get myself in trouble whenever I do that. Even when we were talking about the Morrowind Remaster, if I come out and say, ‘I just don’t think that is going to happen,’ then people freak out. So I won’t confirm or deny stuff we may or may not do, as people jump to the wrong conclusions. But I do think both The Evil Within and Rage did well enough that we could make sequels. Personally I loved Rage and had a tonne of fun playing it, but we have a lot of stuff in the pipeline right now so you will have to wait and see.
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
Aug 11, 2016, 00:07
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 11, 2016, 00:07
Aug 11, 2016, 00:07

Wesp5 wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 04:23:
Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:00:
I liked Rage well enough, though for me it got badly ruined by the terrible Megatexture engine. The hideous amounts of pop-in and god-awful textures when up close just really soured the experience.

Yeah, I had the same impression when I first played it on a dualcore but on my i5 with a decent NVIDIA card it look beautiful with no pop-ins anymore! It was the one game when Caramack released something for which the hardware wasn't ready.

The textures still look awful up-close regardless of what hardware you're using. Later id Tech 5 games have greatly improved in that regard but RAGE looks really terrible unless you're at a distance.

Aug 10, 2016, 04:23
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 10, 2016, 04:23
Aug 10, 2016, 04:23

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:00:
I liked Rage well enough, though for me it got badly ruined by the terrible Megatexture engine. The hideous amounts of pop-in and god-awful textures when up close just really soured the experience.

Yeah, I had the same impression when I first played it on a dualcore but on my i5 with a decent NVIDIA card it look beautiful with no pop-ins anymore! It was the one game when Caramack released something for which the hardware wasn't ready.

Aug 10, 2016, 04:18
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 10, 2016, 04:18
Aug 10, 2016, 04:18

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 16:52:
Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:10:
Rage had IDs fun shooting mechanics in it but it was a terrible story. Remember that lack of ending like the game was release 6 months too early because they were too broke to finish it?

Yes, the game was released unfinished which wasn't id's fault but probably Bethesda pushing it out of the door. But it had a nice story at all and cool characters that you could actually talk to, which was more than any other id game had before!

Aug 10, 2016, 00:01
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 10, 2016, 00:01
Aug 10, 2016, 00:01

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 13:39:
Bethesda is working on a Morrowind Remaster? Now that would be something I'm interested in. The Skywind mod seems to be in development hell anyway. Don't care about Rage or The Evil Within, but I would pay good money for a remastered Morrowind.

No they aren't and no it wouldn't.

There's no point in them doing a remaster of Morrowind, either for themselves, the game, or for fans.

There are so many mods for it they would never be able to match the Morrowind that is available today (as is the case for any of their games that get modded).

There is even an alternative open source engine being developed, OpenMW, that runs the original assets and so is compatible with all the traditional mods for Morrowind. As far as such efforts go it's doing surprisingly well, though for now I still prefer the original engine thanks to things like MGE.

The only thing Bethesda could do for Morrowind, presuming they could be bothered, is adding even some basic multi-threading and culling to it while making sure not to do anything to drastic to break non standard mods or at least not make it to hard to get them working again (such as MGE).

You'd pay good money for a remastered Morrowind? Well how about just some time since it's free to install some mods which make the game vastly better than it used to be.

You could search for, Morrowind STEP, Morrowind MGE, and check the Nexus for any mods that catch your fancy.

Really a remastered Morrowind by Bethesda would be a sad joke in comparison, it simply would not be "Morrowind". The only thing worse would be pinning one's hopes on something like Skywind or whatever the latest useless eyecandy demo of a fad is.

.....Actually come to think of it the best thing Bethesda could do for Morrowind is to either contribute to or financially support the effort to make the alternative engine OpenMW.

Aug 9, 2016, 20:54
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 20:54
Aug 9, 2016, 20:54

MajorD wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 17:49:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 14:51:
Beamer wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 12:50:
I still have Rage, in the shrink wrap, for the 360, which is in a closet. Some days I consider hooking it up for Rage. Then I realize I'd probably just replay RDR instead.

As I get older, I feel I replay the same games more often and try new ones less often. As I just joked about in another thread, why play a new game when I have so much more FTL to play? I recently redid Dishonored. This gets my attention more than shinywiszzbangthing 2016.

Speaking of, I'm kind of craving 5 skulling OMD1/2 again.

Yeah, after work and after family at night, I don't have a lot of energy to learn something new. So I often fall back to something I've already played. Also games that are more chill. FTL is one. Defense Grid is another. SupCom with the speed turned down a bit. BL2. Civ. These are all games I can chill out with for an hour or so before bed, sometimes with a beer. I wonder if NMS will enter that pantheon.

All that being said, I do intend to pick up and learn a couple of games this year: Stardew Valley and Rimworld. And next year after they've improved it some more, Stellaris.

Have you checked out Space Engineers (Survival) yet? That is a time suck. With the different modules (conveyors, connectors, sorters, refineries, assemblers, ships, etc.), programmability of various modules, etc., there is so much to learn and do.

I own it but haven't been able to get in to it. Maybe I should try it again.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Aug 9, 2016, 20:43
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 20:43
Aug 9, 2016, 20:43

Hump wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 20:01:
Rage was a great game. Unfortunately it had the bad timing of coming out around the same time as Fallout 3 and the original Borderlands.

There's only so many post apocalyptic games you can swallow

I really don't think the release timing was the problem with Rage.

Aug 9, 2016, 20:01
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 20:01
Aug 9, 2016, 20:01

Rage was a great game. Unfortunately it had the bad timing of coming out around the same time as Fallout 3 and the original Borderlands.

There's only so many post apocalyptic games you can swallow
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Aug 9, 2016, 18:40
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 18:40
Aug 9, 2016, 18:40

Beamer wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 18:18:
This is high on my list. So is Prison Tycoon or whatever, which I bought like 3 steam sales ago and never installed.

So many games, so little time.

Aug 9, 2016, 18:18
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 18:18
Aug 9, 2016, 18:18

MajorD wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 17:49:
I still have Rage, in the shrink wrap, for the 360, which is in a closet. Some days I consider hooking it up for Rage. Then I realize I'd probably just replay RDR instead.

As I get older, I feel I replay the same games more often and try new ones less often. As I just joked about in another thread, why play a new game when I have so much more FTL to play? I recently redid Dishonored. This gets my attention more than shinywiszzbangthing 2016.

Yeah, after work and after family at night, I don't have a lot of energy to learn something new. So I often fall back to something I've already played. Also games that are more chill. FTL is one. Defense Grid is another. SupCom with the speed turned down a bit. BL2. Civ. These are all games I can chill out with for an hour or so before bed, sometimes with a beer. I wonder if NMS will enter that pantheon.

All that being said, I do intend to pick up and learn a couple of games this year: Stardew Valley and Rimworld. And next year after they've improved it some more, Stellaris.

Have you checked out Space Engineers (Survival) yet? That is a time suck. With the different modules (conveyors, connectors, sorters, refineries, assemblers, ships, etc.), programmability of various modules, etc., there is so much to learn and do.

This is high on my list. So is Prison Tycoon or whatever, which I bought like 3 steam sales ago and never installed.

Aug 9, 2016, 18:12
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 18:12
Aug 9, 2016, 18:12

The best game Carmack has made in the past 19 years, has been Wolfenstein RPG, specifically for dumbphones. The phones which weren't necessarily flipphones, but not smartphones either. No hardware acceleration, VGA screen resolution.

I almost passed the entire game, got stuck on the final boss. But I had TONS of fun with it.

Why? Carmack clearly had fun (FOR ONCE) going back to his roots and working in a confined hardware environment.

Not only did it allow him to focus on tight, engaging gameplay (and sense of humor), but he managed to squeeze in subtle effects like software alpha-blending, on phones without any 3D acceleration.

Finally, unlike its fancy iPhone version, this game played better, because I still had the luxury of pressing the real, hardware directional buttons to navigate the world and perform actions. People have forgotten... but it makes a HUGE difference to get tactile feedback on your actions.

Wolfenstein RPG > RAGE

Aug 9, 2016, 18:03
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 18:03
Aug 9, 2016, 18:03

deqer wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 10:56:
They're recycling all their shit because they're doing whatever they can to make money, because poor sales, because no one (except a few people) is supporting Bethesda because they don't support modding, which is precisely why we're seeing ONLY Bethesda making mods like these now to make money.

It's like, we're seeing a streak of their Plan B after Plan B after Plan B to stay afloat.

Yeah because they didn't even release mod tools for Fallout 4 or anything! They suck ass!!!

Aug 9, 2016, 17:49
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 17:49
Aug 9, 2016, 17:49

Aug 9, 2016, 17:29
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 17:29
Aug 9, 2016, 17:29

I recently replayed the Co-Op (Wasteland Legends) missions in Rage with a friend.

Was generally good fun, my nostalgia/iD fanboy glasses were definitely strong on that one though.

Highly recommend co-op, gameplay is more traditional ID fare (spawn in, shoot guys, beat level, done) and the invisible walls are less annoying. Though there are no vehicles, which I thought were pretty cool.

Weapons felt awesome, was tons of fun to shot stuff even though the enemies on harder difficulties are ridiculously bullet spongey (they do, however, actually react to getting shot which makes them feel less sponge-like than they are).

Lots of dynamic objects popping in just a tad too late (generally enemies). World textures are SOOOO blurry, and the "texture detail" option they added is comically bad (though I did use it...).

World also feels pretty dead, probably because of the near complete lack of destructible environment pieces, or dynamic physics props (seriously, the beer bottles don't even break, or knock over, just totally static :X) which I can write off I guess for it being a 360 era game.

Performance is great and everything is super responsive which is more than I can say for any Unity or most Unreal engine games these days. The lighting is pretty good for the time as well, it does a good job blending static/dynamic objects in both indoor and outdoor settings (though famously there are no transitions *between* indoor and outdoor settings). Of course there are barely any dynamic objects...

Everyone likes to rag on Megatexture for all RAGE's ills but I appreciate that everything is textured uniquely. It's not megatexture's fault that no one was disciplined enough to get the texture sizes under control and they had to 1/100th res everything right before launch to fit on disk. That said the install through Steam right now was ~40GB and the textures are still crazy blurry... probably needs about 320GB I'd guess to get reasonably sharp which is absolutely absurd. Could have had a *few* repeated textures in hindsight

Aug 9, 2016, 16:52
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 16:52
Aug 9, 2016, 16:52

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:10:
Rage was weak, weak sauce. The only reason it sold was on the strength of id's name. And then everyone realized id was no more.

Rage had IDs fun shooting mechanics in it but it was a terrible story. Remember that lack of ending like the game was release 6 months too early because they were too broke to finish it?

Aug 9, 2016, 14:53
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 14:53
Aug 9, 2016, 14:53

swaaye wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 14:00:
I don't think he said they're working on Morrowind. He was just explaining how weasel words work. And what do you think the chances of him actually having loved Rage? heh

Anyway, I'd rather see more of the Evil Within than more Rage. Not that either was exactly spectacular.

The game I really want Bethesda to make:

"The Evil Within Rage"

"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Aug 9, 2016, 14:51
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 14:51
Aug 9, 2016, 14:51

Aug 9, 2016, 14:00
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 14:00
Aug 9, 2016, 14:00

I don't think he said they're working on Morrowind. He was just explaining how weasel words work. And what do you think the chances of him actually having loved Rage? heh

Anyway, I'd rather see more of the Evil Within than more Rage. Not that either was exactly spectacular.

Aug 9, 2016, 13:39
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 13:39
Aug 9, 2016, 13:39

Bethesda is working on a Morrowind Remaster? Now that would be something I'm interested in. The Skywind mod seems to be in development hell anyway. Don't care about Rage or The Evil Within, but I would pay good money for a remastered Morrowind.

Aug 9, 2016, 12:50
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 12:50
Aug 9, 2016, 12:50

Aug 9, 2016, 12:39
Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 12:39
Aug 9, 2016, 12:39

Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 10:09:
Rage was fun. It was like Fallout 3.5

Made my day Dunce
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older