Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears

A new Star Citizen Newsletter has word that alpha 2.5 for Star Citizen nears. Cloud Imperium opts for a "road" metaphor for a space flight game and offers some details on the new version. There's no word yet on when the game might reach beta. Nor is there a release date for the new alpha, though it sounds close. Here's word:

As I write this, the team is putting Star Citizen Alpha version 2.5 through its paces. We’ve recently released it to the first wave of PTU testers, who are helping us identify bugs to smash and improvements to gameplay for the upcoming live release. Once that happens, you’ll be able to explore the Grim HEX outlaw base, fly the community-selected Reliant and try out the brand new Argo shuttle. This will be the first time in the mini-PU that we have different spawn locations and I’m excited to see what happens now that Citizens and outlaws have their own bases.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 16:38 panbient

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 12:51:
I'm curious where all the professional arm char developers are, always love hearing their massive expertise in game making and how after 4 years we should have had the best game ever by now.

I'm guessing most people who haven't put money into this have gotten bored of it by now. 4 years later gamers have other options.

I still think the absolute greatest thing about the entire game development / phenomena / whatever was the pic of that one poster's pants from a convention last year. Seriously, those pants were amazing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 16:33 HorrorScope

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 16:27:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:11:
El Pit wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 14:35:
But remember: only few people reach the age of 80 years and over.
I will bequeath my SC account data to my eldest

Well, unfortunately, the TOS you agreed to made it so you can't transfer account ownership. Your eldest will have to become a backer if he wants to play. Whenever that is...

And my TOS says I'll pass over user/password to anyone I damn well feel like whenever I like.

14. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 16:27 Total-Khaos

Kajetan wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:11:

Well, unfortunately, the TOS you agreed to made it so you can't transfer account ownership. Your eldest will have to become a backer if he wants to play. Whenever that is...

13. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 15:11 Kajetan

12. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 15:10 CJ_Parker

Chris Roberts interview, October 19th 2012 AD

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?

Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

^

The staleness is strong with this one...

11. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 14:43 IgWannA

I downloaded Alpha 2.3 a while ago after people saying how much it's improved. It hasn't. It was the same poorly optimised buggy mess of a slideshow that 2.0 was - not even remotely playable with a GTX 760.  

10. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 14:35 El Pit

Kajetan wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 14:25:
Disclaimer 3: Yes, i can be very patient

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

9. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 14:25 Kajetan

El Pit wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 13:53:
Shouldn't they have released a GAME by now based on their original plans?
As said over and over again ... the original time table was for the initial (small) project scope. After the millions rolled in, Roberts expanded the scope to the current project with SP campaigns and the Persistent Universe.

Will SC be ever officially released? Of course it will.
When? When its good enough for an official release.
What is "good enough"? Ask Roberts. May be he will answer it, when you ask politely.
Will it be any good? Nobody knows for now!

See, I can ask this without calling names at critics.
More important ... can you accept certain facts about SC or will you keep on bickering?

Disclaimer 1: I backed SC with 50 bucks during the initial kickstarter.
Disclaimer 2: Yes, i want a release.
Disclaimer 3: Yes, i can be very patient

8. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 14:19 NicklePop

2.4 was a fantastic optimization update.

Star Citizen is coming along really nicely; flying and just getting around the current PTU is a glimpse into the greatness coming.

Love it as-is ... can't wait for more.

7. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 14:12 El Pit

KilrathiAce wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 14:03:
Alpha 2.5? Wouldnt that be like beta 1.5?

A beta? Don't rush it! There are a few more years of alpha builds needed followed by 10 years of betas before servers and client machines are able to run the SC that Roberts imagined.

6. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 14:03 KilrathiAce

Alpha 2.5? Wouldnt that be like beta 1.5?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

5. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 13:53 El Pit

Wasn't the studio supposed to be broke by now?
where are all the idiots who were spamming how they had no money left and that it would be closed up by march of this year.

Or when is this new date? Will it all blow up in October?
I'm curious where all the professional arm char developers are, always love hearing their massive expertise in game making and how after 4 years we should have had the best game ever by now.

Shouldn't they have released a GAME by now based on their original plans? See, I can ask this without calling names at critics.

4. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 13:48 Total-Khaos

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 13:07:
where are all the idiots who were spamming how they had no money left and that it would be closed up by march of this year.

Maybe they don't care about the game anymore? Truthfully, I was pretty pumped about this game up until a year or so ago. But it has been in development (pre-alpha/alpha) for so long now, I've kind of lost interest. Just wondering if we'll see the imminent "we're switching to a new graphics engine" announcement at some point.

They should just rename this game Star Citizen Forever or give development rights to George Broussard at this point.

3. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 13:07 Steele Johnson

Maybe they don't care about the game anymore? Truthfully, I was pretty pumped about this game up until a year or so ago. But it has been in development (pre-alpha/alpha) for so long now, I've kind of lost interest. Just wondering if we'll see the imminent "we're switching to a new graphics engine" announcement at some point.

"The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching." - Dave Chappelle

2. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 12:51 {PH}88fingers

1. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 12:29 El Pit

Beta will start after Alpha 9.9 has been released, which will happen in 2023. After Beta 99.9 the game will be released by the grandchildren of the people currently working on the "game".  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo