PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans

Accompanied by two apologies, Sean Murray of Hello Games tweets an announcement that No Man's Sky will come on August 12th. This was due on the 9th alongside the PS4 version of the space game. He says, "PC NMS release will now be global and will be August 12th worldwide. It's so important we get it right and make the best version we can." On a related note, Harry Denholm tweets a server wipe is coming on Sunday, which should reduce the impact of early leaked copies. Thanks GameInformer.
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube...
Aug 9, 2016, 10:57
Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 9, 2016, 10:57
Aug 9, 2016, 10:57

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 01:56:
So what, exactly, is the point of a shared universe?
It does seem counter-productive doesn't it...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube...
Aug 9, 2016, 01:56
Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 9, 2016, 01:56
Aug 9, 2016, 01:56

jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 17:30:
Bub wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 07:29:
Sounds like the Second Life "flying penis" thing all over again.

How fun to start exploring and discover that someone has already named half the planets you can reach with obscene Beavis and Butthead friendly names.
There are 18 quintillion planets in the game. If 100M people named 100 planets per day for 1000 days your chances of finding a named planet are still .0001%. Unless the really screw up the starting location randomizer.

So what, exactly, is the point of a shared universe?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans
Aug 7, 2016, 17:30
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 17:30
Aug 7, 2016, 17:30

Bub wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 07:29:

How fun to start exploring and discover that someone has already named half the planets you can reach with obscene Beavis and Butthead friendly names.
There are 18 quintillion planets in the game. If 100M people named 100 planets per day for 1000 days your chances of finding a named planet are still .0001%. Unless the really screw up the starting location randomizer.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Aug 7, 2016, 14:41
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 14:41
Aug 7, 2016, 14:41

Tachikoma wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 11:42:
PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 06:30:
Yeah we were fed this line with Elite Dangerous as well and the game is BORING AS FUCK. There have to be adequate SYSTEMS in PLACE to ALLOW that, which NMS seems completely lacking.

E:D is a good call - it gets similar complaints, which I find completely unwarranted. If you find it BORING AS FUCK that`s okay, but you`re probably playing the wrong game.

As for the lack of SYSTEMS, well, that comment could be on point back in 2014 - I was also similarly skeptical back then. However in the last year they have shown a FUCKTON OF SYSTEMS relating to trade-exploration-survival-aliens-combat-so on and ignoring that is just lame.

These systems might be messed up and flawed and the game might suck, but at this moment in time you do not know this. However again - if you`re looking for different experience, a la Mass Effect, it`s just not a game for you. Move on, save energy, hate Trump

Quboid wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 09:59:
Urban Dictionary says that Guffin means to choke on a penis so, to be fair, that isn't something I really need. I need that even less than an item that only serves to drive the plot forward ... whatever that may be called.

But hey, it's much easier to pretend doubters are idiots who need their hands held and that I'm clever in comparison, even if I do confuse MacGuffins and oral sex. Who hasn't?

Is it as easy as carefully scanning a post to find something completely unrelated to the topic, but what you can use to show how clever`n edgy you are in comparison? If so, 5/5 buddy - even if you`re shooting blanks (sometimes I just get bored of cliched syntax)

Shame you have nothing to say about the game, but that`s a bit higher hanging fruit, so it`s fully understandable. And please, spare me the "doubters" high horseplay - it`s just a good ole hatewagon here, set off by codewords indie/SONY/hype/procgen and so on. True doubters would respect the facts and kept an open mind until the release, not engage in "There Can Be Only One! (Gameplay Style)" circlejerk.

At least with ED the hype was about actual game systems that the developers had outlined. I can understand disappointment there.

If you only look at systems that have been outlined here, there isn't much. If it's up your alley, great! But the hype is based on nothing.

Aug 7, 2016, 11:42
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 11:42
Aug 7, 2016, 11:42

Yeah we were fed this line with Elite Dangerous as well and the game is BORING AS FUCK. There have to be adequate SYSTEMS in PLACE to ALLOW that, which NMS seems completely lacking.

E:D is a good call - it gets similar complaints, which I find completely unwarranted. If you find it BORING AS FUCK that`s okay, but you`re probably playing the wrong game.

As for the lack of SYSTEMS, well, that comment could be on point back in 2014 - I was also similarly skeptical back then. However in the last year they have shown a FUCKTON OF SYSTEMS relating to trade-exploration-survival-aliens-combat-so on and ignoring that is just lame.

These systems might be messed up and flawed and the game might suck, but at this moment in time you do not know this. However again - if you`re looking for different experience, a la Mass Effect, it`s just not a game for you. Move on, save energy, hate Trump

Urban Dictionary says that Guffin means to choke on a penis so, to be fair, that isn't something I really need. I need that even less than an item that only serves to drive the plot forward ... whatever that may be called.

But hey, it's much easier to pretend doubters are idiots who need their hands held and that I'm clever in comparison, even if I do confuse MacGuffins and oral sex. Who hasn't?

Is it as easy as carefully scanning a post to find something completely unrelated to the topic, but what you can use to show how clever`n edgy you are in comparison? If so, 5/5 buddy - even if you`re shooting blanks (sometimes I just get bored of cliched syntax)

Shame you have nothing to say about the game, but that`s a bit higher hanging fruit, so it`s fully understandable. And please, spare me the "doubters" high horseplay - it`s just a good ole hatewagon here, set off by codewords indie/SONY/hype/procgen and so on. True doubters would respect the facts and kept an open mind until the release, not engage in "There Can Be Only One! (Gameplay Style)" circlejerk.

Aug 7, 2016, 11:26
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 11:26
Aug 7, 2016, 11:26

Quinn wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 05:46:
I was looking forward to this game, simply because there was nothing in the near future to look forward to. Then I realized the new Deus Ex releases this month too. No longer looking forward to this empty promise that is NMS.

Somehow I thought Deus Ex wasn't going to be released until somewhere in 2017. I'm ecstatic!

I am stupidly excited for this. Hasn't been a release in over a year that I've wanted more.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Aug 7, 2016, 11:14
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 11:14
Aug 7, 2016, 11:14

Tachikoma wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 05:53:
It`s quite sad to see that majority (at least judging by comments here) of once-leading in innovation PC gaming community are locked in a baseless hate exercise, which stands against all the previous achievements.

Agreed. Even if this game is shit, so what? This actually started with player hype which the publisher jumped on. Lets see if it is shallow as we think it is first.As for a 3 day delay big whoop. I do agree though $60 is steep, well unless it does have a lot more gameplay than what many think.

Aug 7, 2016, 10:46
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 10:46
Aug 7, 2016, 10:46

if you really need this sort of Guffin and don`t just enjoy roleplaying/creating your own stories in an infinite sandbox

In that case, the closest thing to oral sex i get is from a McMuffin.

Aug 7, 2016, 09:59
Quboid

Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 09:59
Aug 7, 2016, 09:59
 Quboid

if you really need this sort of Guffin and don`t just enjoy roleplaying/creating your own stories in an infinite sandbox

Aug 7, 2016, 07:54
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 07:54
Aug 7, 2016, 07:54

I don't get the server wipe. From what I understand there is no persistence. That world that you visited is not stored someplace once you leave and even if it was, the chances of someone else landing there are slim.

So who cares if someone else's character is a bit more developed? Not as if you are going to meet someone else. Your skills and equipment have zero effect on anyone else.

Hence why the server wipe?

BTW if they had only added purpose to this game beyond getting to the center. The old Starflight game structure would have been perfect. As the game stands, beyond initial play there is no point in playing it.

If you throw full price at this game, must be nice to have unlimited funds...

Aug 7, 2016, 07:47
J
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 07:47
Aug 7, 2016, 07:47
J

Silent Bob wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 19:46:
Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 18:45:
Spoiler alert! At the center, you find a decoder ring and a message that says, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

This is what you'll find: https://youtu.be/Qhzb9OUWrXU
I thought it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3d2o6caTMA
nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Aug 7, 2016, 07:29
Bub
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 07:29
Aug 7, 2016, 07:29
Bub

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

Aug 7, 2016, 07:27
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 07:27
Aug 7, 2016, 07:27

There's a whole slew of PS4 players who got the game early. Turns out the difficulty is non-existent in this "survival" game, and it's nearly impossible to die. No difficulty slider or options, and game actually gets easier as you progress.

And that puts into the "<10 Freedom Money Units and wait for mods" category for me.

Aug 7, 2016, 06:30
PHJF

Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 06:30
Aug 7, 2016, 06:30
 PHJF

It`s quite sad to see that majority (at least judging by comments here) of once-leading in innovation PC gaming community are locked in a baseless hate exercise

I certainly don't hate the game (I HATE Donald Trump. A video game is just a video game), but I think everything shown of it since its initial trailer hasn't done a bit of good in making the game look either fun or interesting... which is a shocking achievement for a title which has had as much press as NMS.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Aug 7, 2016, 05:53
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 05:53
Aug 7, 2016, 05:53

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 15:03:
Said it was a great game if you just want to have a few beers and fly/walk around looking at stuff but there isn't really anything to do per se, at least nothing that means anything. Which is what I thought it'd be.

Bias confirmation is a powerful trip.

It`s quite sad to see that majority (at least judging by comments here) of once-leading in innovation PC gaming community are locked in a baseless hate exercise, which stands against all the previous achievements. Funny times, huh.

But, well, whatever. To those who are still on the fence and/or confused by the naysaying barrage, let`s dispel few of the more thirsty/dumbass claims:

- there is actually a point/ending to a game - if you really need this sort of Guffin and don`t just enjoy roleplaying/creating your own stories in an infinite sandbox, which to me is the major selling point here. The goal is to reach the center of the universe. What`s there? Who knows, and, why should we know? I mean, would you like to know the ending to a game you`re just about to play?

-comparisons to "minecrafts" are ridiculous: this is an actual game with bazillion gameplay systems, Minecraft has a "game" mode but is more of a digital Lego where you just build stuff. Here you need to do things in order to survive and go further: just like in any normal game.

-this is mainly single player OFFLINE game. Online component is just charting the galaxy and possibility of meeting other players. It`s also completely OPTIONAL.

-things you won`t find in here: Miranda`s ass and million-polygon Z-tesselated LMFASSAO+ spaceship, corridors/invisible walls, hand-holding "tell me a story Mommy" plot, autopilot "no need to think, you`ll progress anyway" gameplay. Sorry! There`s plenty of other titles that do that sort of thing though.

Aug 7, 2016, 05:46
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 05:46
Aug 7, 2016, 05:46

I was looking forward to this game, simply because there was nothing in the near future to look forward to. Then I realized the new Deus Ex releases this month too. No longer looking forward to this empty promise that is NMS.

Somehow I thought Deus Ex wasn't going to be released until somewhere in 2017. I'm ecstatic!

Aug 7, 2016, 04:33
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 04:33
Aug 7, 2016, 04:33

"It's so important we get it right and make the best version we can"
They're still making it?

Aug 7, 2016, 03:36
nin

Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 03:36
Aug 7, 2016, 03:36
 nin

El Pit wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 03:29:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 23:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 21:52:
Oh I thought it was God in the need of a space ship.

Excuse me... But why does God need a spaceship? </Kirk>

I still remember Star Trek V... Worst old Trek movie. But I laughed at the theater because of course a Shatner directed Trek would make Shat/Kirk face (sort of) God with Shat/Kirk winning the fight. THAT is Shat to you, people! Laugh

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/star-trek-oral-history-captain-906075

Aug 7, 2016, 03:29
El Pit

Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 03:29
Aug 7, 2016, 03:29
 El Pit

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 23:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 6, 2016, 21:52:
Oh I thought it was God in the need of a space ship.

Excuse me... But why does God need a spaceship? </Kirk>

I still remember Star Trek V... Worst old Trek movie. But I laughed at the theater because of course a Shatner directed Trek would make Shat/Kirk face (sort of) God with Shat/Kirk winning the fight. THAT is Shat to you, people! Laugh
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Aug 7, 2016, 02:28
Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 7, 2016, 02:28
Aug 7, 2016, 02:28

I'd buy THAT for a dollar!

Ok, maybe for 20 dollars. But not for freaking 60 dollars.
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older