Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Prey Trailers

Bethesda.net offers Secrets from the Announce Trailer with more on what to expect from the new Prey. This went up yesterday, and today is followed by this post from today at QuakeCon offering the first look at gameplay from the first-person shooter. Here's word on what was seen of the game at the show:
Set in an alternate future, Prey puts you into the uniform of Morgan Yu, the subject of morally dubious experiments designed to grant you alien powers. At QuakeCon 2016, Arkane’s Co-creative Director Raphael Colantonio and Lead Designer Ricardo Bare delivered a first look at Prey’s gameplay, followed by the worldwide premiere of the first official gameplay trailer, which you can watch right now.

In addition to the gameplay trailer, Colantonio and Bare also showed off an extensive gameplay demo. While the gameplay presentation was revealed behind closed doors exclusively to QuakeCon attendees, we’ve got the full rundown of what was shown, including new insights into how Prey plays.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 6, 2016, 05:08 Numinar

Slashman wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 18:16:
NetHead wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 14:11:

I thought the original Prey was okay (lots of fun, indian thing annoyed the hell out of me, but good gameplay) I enjoyed it though am not a rabid fan. Still molesting an established franchise purely for that attention is a shitty thing to do, while defending that is plane stupid.

Why would the 'indian thing' annoy the hell out of you exactly? Maybe because native Americans and their culture are so overdone in video games? They really needed to keep it more white? Cause that never gets any exposure?

Great game with an actual character to play as, even if he was a dirtbag. Most FPS characters are still souless meatheads even if they do talk so for 2005 it was ok. Cool concept as well, dirtbag descendant of genocide survivors stepping up and taking on the big bad for the planet.

I also thought the tech, setting and set pieces was awesome. A much maligned game that had a bit of a Duke3d vibe about it. I don't know what sort of game the sequel would be, as they would need to pull off a Doom-like miracle to keep it as a traditional shooter, so turning it into the Alien Invasion equivalent of the shock series seems ok to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 18:16 Slashman

NetHead wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 14:11:

I thought the original Prey was okay (lots of fun, indian thing annoyed the hell out of me, but good gameplay) I enjoyed it though am not a rabid fan. Still molesting an established franchise purely for that attention is a shitty thing to do, while defending that is plane stupid.

Why would the 'indian thing' annoy the hell out of you exactly? Maybe because native Americans and their culture are so overdone in video games? They really needed to keep it more white? Cause that never gets any exposure?

19. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 14:11 NetHead

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 01:03:

Actually, its not any form of brand r4pe at all. At first I thought why the hell is this even called Prey it has nothing to do with the original AT ALL.

Then I saw this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VeMnngn2UM

Prey is not a sequel, it's not a remake, it has no tie with ahh, with the original..

Then why call it Prey?!!1111one

It seems to me now that they are using the title Prey as in the human race is prey for this alien force.

Like how in the original Prey humans, amongst others, where a resource for the aliens, being harvested, kinda like food would be, thus Prey. Yes no similarities to "using the title Prey as in the human race is prey for this alien force" at all, (eyes rolls out of head).

At first it was just annoying that they would use another IP's name to make an entirely different game, though to have some come to the defense of that is beyond annoying even without arguments as weak as wet toilet paper.

I wouldn't have called it brand rape, rape is such a dull overused word. Though if that's where you want to put the posts then it absolutely is.

They're using an established brand, purely because it's established and has hype, has interest. They want to sail on it's coattails for extra exposure at the expense of the original franchise (keep in mind Bethesda owns the rights to Prey, as in the original game).

18. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 13:58 ItBurn

NetHead wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 13:50:
This looks interesting, though I also don't see why they should molest an established IP. The canceled Prey 2 videos looked good, though now this is meant to be Prey.

It doesn't matter how good this is, it's a completely different game. It's like making a new Thief game as a shooter with "headshots" and damage numbers popping up.

Just go make a new IP for heavens sake, stop listening to the idiots in marketing when it comes to this.

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 19:48:
Welcome to Bioshock in space.

System Shock. Bioshock being System Shock under water instead of in space seems very odd to say Bioshock in space.

The gameplay of Bioshock is different enough from System Shock for Prey to be more like Bioshock. But yeah, it's a System Shock look though.

17. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 13:50 NetHead

This looks interesting, though I also don't see why they should molest an established IP. The canceled Prey 2 videos looked good, though now this is meant to be Prey.

It doesn't matter how good this is, it's a completely different game. It's like making a new Thief game as a shooter with "headshots" and damage numbers popping up.

Just go make a new IP for heavens sake, stop listening to the idiots in marketing when it comes to this.

System Shock. Bioshock being System Shock under water instead of in space seems very odd to say Bioshock in space.

16. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 09:58 MacLeod

some of these creatures...

Feels like you'll have to end up at Z'ha'dum.

15. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 09:45 ItBurn

ItBurn wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 23:51:
It looks ok... It definitely looks like Bioshock in space, which is not something good in my book. I'm willing to give it a chance. One thing really annoys me though: it has nothing to do with Prey. Not sure I want to support this kind of brand r4pe.

Actually, its not any form of brand r4pe at all. At first I thought why the hell is this even called Prey it has nothing to do with the original AT ALL.

Then I saw this...

It seems to me now that they are using the title Prey as in the human race is prey for this alien force.

I didn't look at your video, but whatever the reason, this is Prey now. The original Prey franchise is basically dead. I don't like that. They could have called it anything else. It's just because they wanted the name recognition to bring in extra bucks. They don't care about a franchise that fans care about. To me that's bad. I mean, I don't care all that much. I wasn't a huge Prey fan, but I've seen this over and over since the beginning of gaming and I'm tired of all these franchises dying for the sake of a bit of cash.

14. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 05:17 Slick

Ravenus wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 01:52:
It would have been nice if they could have used some of the cool elements from the original Prey like the Indian heritage or Portals or Spirit Walking.
Did I see the headless chickens from KISS: Psycho Circus in this trailer?

I really liked the native american slant on the original prey. Just replayed it to remind myself how great that game was, still holds up as one of the best "last" great SP FPS games from that golden era. Where devs felt like kids exploring a huge toystore of possibilities, instead of coming up with the most addictive pavlovian responses from their consumers with ranking up, prestige, and other CoD garbage like that. Not that those things are terrible in of themselves, but they can't replace actual game mechanics in my eyes.

a "re imagining" of the original prey i can totally handle. I should probably lay off the promo videos to not get too many spoilers, although to be fair that "gameplay" video didn't exactly show any "gameplay" to be spoiled...

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

13. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 01:52 Ravenus

It would have been nice if they could have used some of the cool elements from the original Prey like the Indian heritage or Portals or Spirit Walking.
Did I see the headless chickens from KISS: Psycho Circus in this trailer?

12. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 01:40 Kajetan

Qbex . wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 00:45:
BTW whats with the whole butthurt over Pray naming? It's not like first game was a cult classic or anything.
Because names matter. Especially when you are a company who once had a project named Prey 2. Now its just a name which they already own, so they slap onto a new project to spare some bucks for not having to make trademark & name research. Remember Command & Conquer 4? Where EA just slapped the name of the C&C series onto some RTS/online prototype, which originally wasnt intended to be any part of the series at all.

Also from a marketing standpoint: Names are important, because brand recognition is important. Dont giving a shit about names will hurt a trademark, leaving the company in the long run with a nearly wortless trademark, which stands for nothing, because it stood for everything.

11. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 01:03 UttiniDaKilrJawa

ItBurn wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 23:51:
It looks ok... It definitely looks like Bioshock in space, which is not something good in my book. I'm willing to give it a chance. One thing really annoys me though: it has nothing to do with Prey. Not sure I want to support this kind of brand r4pe.

Then I saw this...

10. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 5, 2016, 00:45 Qbex .

I dig that trailer so much, looks like Arkane takes a stab at system shock formula, after theirs dishonored/thief before that. I'm totally aboard hype train now
BTW whats with the whole butthurt over Pray naming? It's not like first game was a cult classic or anything. For me it can be called "Tetris Rampage" as long as its a good game in the end.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2016, 00:50.

9. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 23:51 ItBurn

8. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 23:23 McJammiepants

Hi Morgan. I feel like we've met before. In other games. Where your name is Morgan...and you say a version of all this stuff again and again.  

7. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 22:58 Jerykk

The walkthrough summary makes the game sound like System Shock 3. Sounds promising, though I still miss Prey 2.  

6. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 22:51 nin

I got that vibe as well. But that's not a bad thing...looks better than the earlier teaser trailer from awhile back.

Not totally sold, but want to hear more...

5. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 22:36 bigspender

runnerct32 wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 19:42:
sorry but the original Prey and the preview of Prey 2 look a lot better than this

Agreed. Prey 2 had something way more interesting.
https://youtu.be/jfHCZAK7p-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkHZfjK5z4

4. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 21:15 RedEye9

Looks interesting. Looking forward to it.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

3. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 19:48 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

2. Re: Prey Trailers Aug 4, 2016, 19:42 runnerct32

sorry but the original Prey and the preview of Prey 2 look a lot better than this  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >