Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial

Star Wars: The Old Republic is celebrating its fifth anniversary, and this post has details on the celebration along with a trailer. They also offer an infographic on the game, saying it boasts 87 million players who have put in 1.5 billion hours playing the MMORPG. To keep all those players happy, they announce Knights of the Eternal Throne, a new expansion coming this autumn, saying, "The all new expansion adds more of BioWare's trademark cinematic storytelling, as well as exciting new game features in one of the largest updates the team has made since the game launched 5 years ago in 2011!" This page has all the info about the expansion they are revealing at this time. Finally, BioWare also announces a free trial, saying, "all players can prepare for the new expansion by playing Chapter 1 of the prequel story in Knights of the Fallen Empire, now for free"
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial
Jul 18, 2016, 13:08
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 18, 2016, 13:08
Jul 18, 2016, 13:08

JeffD wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 23:55:
The only thing I dont like is it looks like the new and last expansion content are sub/pay only, which means you won't get much end game access under the free plan.

Swotr is not an ideal free to play game. Rift does it much better. Guild wars 2 also ponied up alot of content to do under its free to play account which is everything before the new expansion. Ie it is a ton of stuff.

I'll second the GW2 recommendation (I haven't played SWTOR). GW2 gives you a TON of content once you buy the original game, with no subscription, and the leveling process is really a lot of fun.
Kittens!

Jul 18, 2016, 09:23
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 18, 2016, 09:23
Jul 18, 2016, 09:23

My unqualified opinion is that it ain't worth the time for "free" Especially since, as someone else already said, while you can play solo for free and it will make you wish it was a SP game... you are so extremely limited in free mode that even the tiniest interaction with other human players, which might at times be necessary for your enjoyment, is near impossible or *extremely* restricted. So you get a few kinda interesting stories, but don't expect any substantial production quality.

Also btw, unlike blues text there may be 87 million characters, but there sure as hell are not 87 million players When I played (solo) I encountered maybe 10 other players as a whole during the entire time.

Jul 18, 2016, 01:57
MattyC

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 18, 2016, 01:57
Jul 18, 2016, 01:57
 MattyC

Bucky wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 14:39:
So, as someone who loved KotOR and KotOR II, is this worth delving into as a single player experience? I have zero interest in the MMO part of it, but I wouldn't mind revisiting the world if I can do it on my own.

It is good enough that it will make you sad that it wasn't a single player game. Take that for what you will.

I played through a large portion of 2 of the starting 'campaigns' when it was just going free to play. I lucked into playing on a totally dead server so it almost was a single player game for me. Basically, yes you would probably enjoy it.
"M'aiq tried to swim out to sea, but had to turn back. Slaughterfish. Always the slaughterfish."

Jul 17, 2016, 23:55
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 17, 2016, 23:55
Jul 17, 2016, 23:55

The only thing I dont like is it looks like the new and last expansion content are sub/pay only, which means you won't get much end game access under the free plan.

Swotr is not an ideal free to play game. Rift does it much better. Guild wars 2 also ponied up alot of content to do under its free to play account which is everything before the new expansion. Ie it is a ton of stuff.

Jul 17, 2016, 17:47
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 17, 2016, 17:47
Jul 17, 2016, 17:47

I recommend it. Easily one of the best grinds in an MMO to date even if you go at it from a purely solo experience. You'll miss some interesting sub-plots but nothing game breaking... I think.

Oddly enough, most will tell you that the best story in the game is with the Imperial Agent to which I tend to strongly agree with but the Sith Warrior has Darth Baras who is easily one of my favorite characters.

Jul 17, 2016, 16:27
KS
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 17, 2016, 16:27
Jul 17, 2016, 16:27
KS

LOC wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 15:50:
So, as someone who loved KotOR and KotOR II, is this worth delving into as a single player experience? I have zero interest in the MMO part of it, but I wouldn't mind revisiting the world if I can do it on my own.

I'm pretty sure with the last major patch, they basically made it so you could literally bypass all the side quests and just do the main quest lines for the character you are playing. So, for solo specific stuff, you'd probably enjoy it. I did even when I did side quests. So there's that I guess?

You got to play at 12x xp rate, which was more than enough to level up following only your main class storyline.

The expansion "storytelling" is a pretty decent single-player game, but that kind of defeats the purpose of an MMORPG.

Jul 17, 2016, 16:12
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 17, 2016, 16:12
Jul 17, 2016, 16:12

It's not bad if you look at it as a solo game, you can play each class if you want as they all have their specific story that more or less ties in with what's going on story wise on the different planets.

Think they even changed the game so that you can lvl up doing just your class story so you don't have to do all the sidequest once you seen em all.

Jul 17, 2016, 15:50
LOC
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 17, 2016, 15:50
Jul 17, 2016, 15:50
LOC

I'm pretty sure with the last major patch, they basically made it so you could literally bypass all the side quests and just do the main quest lines for the character you are playing. So, for solo specific stuff, you'd probably enjoy it. I did even when I did side quests. So there's that I guess?

Jul 17, 2016, 14:39
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 17, 2016, 14:39
Jul 17, 2016, 14:39

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older