Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

System Shock Remake Funded

A thank you post from Nightdive Studios celebrates the news that the System Shock remake on Kickstarter has achieved its initial funding goal of $900,000 (thanks nin). This leaves 18 days for the campaign to hit some of its stretch goals, which they outline up to the $1.9 million mark, though they show there are also unannounced rewards past that point. Here's word on the game getting funded:
When Nightdive started in 2012, it was a one man operation with a singular goal- Recover gaming's lost treasures and make them available again for all to enjoy. As operating systems and video cards become more complex, we lose the ability to go back and replay many of the games we grew up with. I wanted to do everything I could to breathe new life into these forgotten classics.

The journey started with System Shock 2 and the reception/support I received allowed me to seek out other like minded individuals who would help locate and revive more lost classics like: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Wizardry, and The 7th Guest series to name a few. As we continued to grow in team size, so did our ambitions. With the release of The Original Strife: Veterans Edition and Noctropolis we were able to restore the games and add additional features. We fixed original bugs, included unfinished games mode, added support for widescreen monitors, and implemented OpenGL to update the visuals. Next was Turok, followed by System Shock: Enhanced Edition and an even greater desire to take our mission to the next level.
View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 12, 2016, 18:45 Orogogus

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:47:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 10:06:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 16:16:
I'm guessing that you haven't played Metroid or Castlevania either, so you probably don't know what that means.

Yeah, I didn't play Metroid or Castlevania either and wasn't aware SS and SS2 are part of a series with those. Still, bad level design isn't getting better only because other games made the same stupid mistakes!
Explaining it again isn't going to make you any less ignorant, so I'm not sure it's worth the time.

System Shock didn't really have the multiple elevators that SS2 did, though. You use the central elevator for nearly everything except a few bits involving groves and the last level or so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 12, 2016, 11:47 Kevin Lowe

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 10:06:
I'm guessing that you haven't played Metroid or Castlevania either, so you probably don't know what that means.

Yeah, I didn't play Metroid or Castlevania either and wasn't aware SS and SS2 are part of a series with those. Still, bad level design isn't getting better only because other games made the same stupid mistakes!
Explaining it again isn't going to make you any less ignorant, so I'm not sure it's worth the time.

29. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 12, 2016, 10:06 Wesp5

28. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 19:36 nin

THAT. WAS. MY. FUCKING. POINT.

If you haven't played the original, then you're completely unaware that Metroidvania elements have been part of the series from the beginning. And if you're that uninformed, I'm guessing that you haven't played Metroid or Castlevania either, so you probably don't know what that means. So do us all a favor and let those of us who actually know more about the series than what you gleaned from 5 minutes of YouTube do the talking, mmmkay?

No need to be a jerk about it.

27. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 16:16 Kevin Lowe

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 10:03:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 09:03:
Ummm... with endless backtracking by elevator?

I was talking about SS2 here, you might have overlooked. I never played the original SS, but I remember having to go through several maps just to change elevators in SS2 which really was stupid level design...
THAT. WAS. MY. FUCKING. POINT.

If you haven't played the original, then you're completely unaware that Metroidvania elements have been part of the series from the beginning. And if you're that uninformed, I'm guessing that you haven't played Metroid or Castlevania either, so you probably don't know what that means. So do us all a favor and let those of us who actually know more about the series than what you gleaned from 5 minutes of YouTube do the talking, mmmkay?

26. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 16:14 sauron

I'll be buying this. Although it may have to wait until I finish Fallout 4, Witcher 3 AND Enderal (the Skyrim TC). And maybe The Talos Principle. So many good games.  

Kittens!

25. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 12:56 nin

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 10:03:

I was talking about SS2 here, you might have overlooked. I never played the original SS, but I remember having to go through several maps just to change elevators in SS2 which really was stupid level design...

I just finished a replay a few weeks ago, and yeah, it was maddening bythe end. The main elevator was floors 1-4, but then if you wanted to go to 5, it was a separate shaft.

The game has not aged well, especially it's xen like level at the end...

24. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 10:03 Wesp5

23. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 09:23 Parallax Abstraction

Rigs wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 04:22:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 22:54:
I've gotten a LOT of Unity review codes for my channel...

How have I missed that channel after all this time? You talk about the same things I look for and watch on YT all the time. And not once has your channel been suggested to me. Maybe that means I'm not being monitored as much as I feared?

In any case, it's good to be able to put a face to a name. There's only a scant few here on Blue's that I can do that with. (Mr. James Allen of 'Out of Eight' being one) I wish I knew what everyone looked like, if only so I could have that mental picture while reading posts. One of us should set up a directory of sorts so fellow Blues members can look for each other. At least until we all agree on a site and time for the first annual BlueCon...

=-Rigs-=

Oh I can talk your ear off about the rigged system that is the YouTube suggestions bar. It basically only promotes what's already popular. New channels who don't get a viral hit have a Hell of a time growing right now. I've been doing YouTube for 3 years and don't even have 1,000 subs yet, though I principally do it for fun so whatever.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

22. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 09:03 Kevin Lowe

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 08:18:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 05:18:
They just build a small section of the original map.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! But speaking of elevator, another thing that I hated about SS2 was the endless backtracking via elevator to levels you already had been to connected with very long loading times. How was this handled in the original System Shock?
Ummm... with endless backtracking by elevator? A just-right amount of Metroidvania is part of the original game's design. If you're going to criticize the layout of the demo level, perhaps you should have played the original to have some idea of what they're trying to remake? Otherwise you have no idea what you're talking about, and come off as incredibly uninformed.

21. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 09:00 Kevin Lowe

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 02:58:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 01:26:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 18:02:
I mean you wake up in Medbay and have to go through some pipe section with ladders to leave it? That doesn't make sense!
It doesnt. Therefore you leave the Medbay through the means of a central elevator. And the pipes section is nothing more than a normal utility section for the medbay machines and generators.

So are you saying that they either changed the level layout already in the demo or that the makers of the space station would force every injured person through the utility sections instead of hiding them away?
And I don't get around my office by crawling through the air ducts, but it worked in Die Hard. Sometimes, what makes sense for the plot isn't what makes sense the rest of the time.

20. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 08:18 Wesp5

Kajetan wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 05:18:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! But speaking of elevator, another thing that I hated about SS2 was the endless backtracking via elevator to levels you already had been to connected with very long loading times. How was this handled in the original System Shock?

19. Linux and Mac OS X ports! Jul 11, 2016, 05:53 Ant

http://steamcommunity.com/app/482400/discussions/0/351660338713339416/

They better do them!

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

18. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 05:18 Kajetan

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 02:58:
So are you saying that they either changed the level layout already in the demo ...

In System Shock 1, the room behind the 451 door, where you find a service lift to the medlab maintenance (the one with the fuse riddle to activate it) has a big door on the right. In the demo, you see only a door texture. In the original game, behind this door you'll find the rest of the medlab, including the main lift to other station levels.

17. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 04:22 Rigs

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 22:54:
I've gotten a LOT of Unity review codes for my channel...

How have I missed that channel after all this time? You talk about the same things I look for and watch on YT all the time. And not once has your channel been suggested to me. Maybe that means I'm not being monitored as much as I feared?

In any case, it's good to be able to put a face to a name. There's only a scant few here on Blue's that I can do that with. (Mr. James Allen of 'Out of Eight' being one) I wish I knew what everyone looked like, if only so I could have that mental picture while reading posts. One of us should set up a directory of sorts so fellow Blues members can look for each other. At least until we all agree on a site and time for the first annual BlueCon...

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 02:58 Wesp5

Kajetan wrote on Jul 11, 2016, 01:26:
I mean you wake up in Medbay and have to go through some pipe section with ladders to leave it? That doesn't make sense!
It doesnt. Therefore you leave the Medbay through the means of a central elevator. And the pipes section is nothing more than a normal utility section for the medbay machines and generators.

So are you saying that they either changed the level layout already in the demo or that the makers of the space station would force every injured person through the utility sections instead of hiding them away?

15. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 01:37 SlimRam

Looking forward to this, the demo was short but fun!  

14. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 11, 2016, 01:26 Kajetan

In the original game, there is a bit more "level" than in this short demo section seen now.

13. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 10, 2016, 23:51 Kxmode

$900k isn't enough. The stretch goal is what they need. However, an unknown studio isn't going to pitch for 2 million. So they set the minimum to $900k then, not surprisingly, you'll see them continue the crowdfunding on the game's website.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

12. Re: System Shock Remake Funded Jul 10, 2016, 22:54 Parallax Abstraction

I really hope they don't stick with Unity honestly. I've gotten a LOT of Unity review codes for my channel and with a couple of exceptions, those games all have the same issues in common: Real dumb tech problems (nearly every Unity game starts on my second monitor and they don't work properly with Xbox One controllers unless you use a custom input wrapper, confirmed to me by two Unity developers), they almost all look dated and yet have way higher system requirements to run worth a damn than games that look like that should have. The reason nearly every Unity game runs like garbage on consoles isn't devs not knowing how to optimise, it's a core engine issue that's only now kind of, sort of getting fixed in the latest releases of Unity 5.

Unreal Engine has none of these issues as it's an engine that was designed for PC first. Unity is a mobile and web engine that's had additional functionality and platform compatibility bolted onto it and as I understand it, has never had a complete rewrite. Unity's dead simple to work with as a dev but it's crap tech from the end user side.

I played the demo for this remake and after seeing how it ran (can't maintain 60 on an overclocked GTX 970 at 1080p) and looked and then seeing the big Unity stamp on the menu, I really hope they either make major modifications to the engine or yeah, switch to something that's up to the production value they claim to be aiming for.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >