View : : :
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: etc.
Jul 11, 2016, 09:00
Re: etc. Jul 11, 2016, 09:00
Jul 11, 2016, 09:00

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 19:34:
One of the things I liked about the original Gothic was the scale.

Indeed. Realistic scale of the environment is something that might not be immediately obvious, but makes a HUGE difference for the "sense of place". Too bad that it's a) not that easy to get right (if you want the game to be fun as well) and b) not a very good selling point.

A really great blog post about this topic

Judging from the beta, Kingdom Come:Deliverance is the first game since Gothic that really nails this.

Jul 10, 2016, 19:34
Re: etc. Jul 10, 2016, 19:34
Jul 10, 2016, 19:34

One of the things I liked about the original Gothic was the scale.

Most CRPGs fudge with the scale of the world; Skyrim, for instance, is supposedly the northern half of a huge continent but you can still walk across it in a few hours. I'm not complaining (much); by compressing everything the player is assured of having an exciting adventure every time he boots the game and it reduces the expense of world-building. Daggerfall, often used as a counter-example, has a much larger world but it suffers in pacing and detail. Between the two, I prefer the compressed version (of course, given the option I'd love a game the size of Daggerfall but with the detail of Skyrim... but that's not going to happen anytime soon; it would take decades to fill in all the nooks and crannies).

Gothic though (this was a post about Gothic, remember?) was set in a small valley, just a few miles across. It was /purposefully/ small and it helped the fiction dramatically. It explained why there were three villages just a mile or so apart and why each village had only a few dozen people living there. You didn't have to turn a blind eye to the limitations forced on the developers by the underlying mechanics of the simulation; instead, they used those limitations to build up the setting. It was clever world-building that went a long way to enhancing the feeling of immersion.

Unfortunately, the later Gothic games forwent this tactic and tried to simulate whole continents. As a player, you had to purposefully ignore how tiny the world was, and - while Gothic 2 and 3 were both good games - they also suffered a little bit from their expansiveness.

Jul 10, 2016, 13:22
Re: etc. Jul 10, 2016, 13:22
Jul 10, 2016, 13:22

Here's the Gothic 1 - DirectX 11 and HD Graphics Guide
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Jul 10, 2016, 12:33
Re: etc. Jul 10, 2016, 12:33
Jul 10, 2016, 12:33

Ah, RPGWatch and their Holy cRPG Grail...

*eyeroll*
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older